What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn (6 Viewers)

A decorated military hero was headed to prison. Recent evidence has shown he was set up and now his case has been dropped. 
He pled guilty and openly admitted in open court to lying to the FBI. And he stated he knew it was illegal. Nothing has changed from that.

If you want to complain about whether the FBI should allow people to lie to it and then use that lie as leverage - that seems like a separate discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
From Popehat - 

The Department of Justice's motion to dismiss Flynn's case is an extremely well written defense argument that would absolutely fail if made by the defense, and will be quoted extensively (to no avail) in future 1001 prosecutions. It's transparently corrupt.

As futile as it will be, though, I will absolutely shove this brief up the ### of every AUSA who brings a bull#### 1001 charge in the future. Not that it will make a bit of difference. The fix is in.

I try to predict what federal judges will do as little as possible, but I will not be in the least surprised if Judge Sullivan calls a hearing on this motion to dismiss and rakes the DoJ lawyers over the coals.

Genuine question:

Assuming the POTUS has 50 Senators in the legislative branch, what checks and balances still exist on the executive branch in this hyper-politicized reality we have? You can appoint judges, appoint department heads who then in turn okay slow walking document requests, ignoring subpoenas, etc.

And I ask that not just for this administration but for future administrations as well. It doesn't seem clear to me what our next move is.

He pled guilty and openly admitted in open court to lying to the FBI. And he stated he knew it was illegal. Nothing has changed from that.

If you want to complain about whether the FBI should allow people to lie to it and then use that lie as leverage - that seems like a separate discussion.
Sure it has. He said he only pled guilty because they were threatening to go after his son. 

From the brief - 

"Moreover, we [do] not believe that the Government can prove either the relevant false statements or their materiality beyond a reasonable doubt."

--

The gov't is arguing it can't prove statements that Flynn made in open court. Twice.

Judge Sullivan probably isn't going to like being clowned very much though -- would expect he'll have something to say about all this.

The Flynn filing was not signed by any career prosecutors at the Justice Department. Instead, the motion to dismiss was signed only by the politically appointed US Attorney Timothy Shea.

Jeff Jensen, the US attorney in St. Louis that Barr named earlier this year to review the handling of the Flynn case, said in a statement provided by the Justice Department that he recommended that the case be dismissed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/05/07/politics/michael-flynn-prosecution/index.html

I know all about his filings. I asked what you believe. Because your argument doesn't make any sense unless you are arguing that Flynn's confession was a false one.
Total set up. And the case was going to be closed until Strozk intervened and re-opened to “go get him”. 

Total set up. And the case was going to be closed until Strozk intervened and re-opened to “go get him”. 
See this is what's confusing me. That's a completely different argument from arguing that he never lied to the FBI.

Do you think:

1) He never lied to the FBI?

2) Even though he lied to the FBI, he was set up so he shouldn't have been prosecuted?

Its hard for me to discuss the issue because you keep drifting back and forth between 1 and 2. Is it that you think both things are true?

See this is what's confusing me. That's a completely different argument from arguing that he never lied to the FBI.

Do you think:

1) He never lied to the FBI?

2) Even though he lied to the FBI, he was set up so he shouldn't have been prosecuted?

Its hard for me to discuss the issue because you keep drifting back and forth between 1 and 2. Is it that you think both things are true?
Ever hear of a perjury trap?  

I’ll leave you with this also. And look I’m not a member of either side, like you are.  I’m a fan of justice being served and when I see wrongdoing I like to see its being fixed. 

https://thehill.com/opinion/criminal-justice/495627-flynn-documents-are-the-smoking-gun-on-comeys-fbi
I am a lawyer on the side of a non-politicized DOJ. This was a political decision that will never be followed again in similar cases. 

That makes it a dark day for the DOJ and the US. 

So he blames his lawyers: 

"Flynn in his filing claimed that “I never would have pled guilty” if his first set of lawyers had told him that FBI agents wrote that he had a “sure demeanor” and “did not give any indication of deception” in a report they prepared after questioning him about the nature of his conversations with then-Ambassador Sergey Kislyak."

“Regretfully, I followed my lawyers’ strong advice to confirm my plea even though it was all I could do to not cry out ‘no’ when this Court asked me if I was guilty,” Flynn wrote.

He blames the government:  

Instead, Flynn said that “I tried to ‘accept responsibility’ by admitting to offenses I understood the government I love and trusted said I committed.”

He misled the Vice President:

Flynn was asked to resign by Trump after less than a month on the job because he had misled Vice President Mike Pence about what was said in the conversation with the Russian ambassador.

He gets a new lawyer that doesn't like Mueller, and all of a sudden he is innocent.

Flynn comes across as either dishonest, easily influenced by lawyers or incredibly naive.

From the brief - 

"Moreover, we [do] not believe that the Government can prove either the relevant false statements or their materiality beyond a reasonable doubt."

--

The gov't is arguing it can't prove statements that Flynn made in open court. Twice.
And he was already convicted because they proved it. Abject corruption by Barr, repeat of the Stone situation.

What happened to General Flynn makes me ashamed to be an American. What a great day today is.

I can’t imagine Comey, Brennan and Clapper are feeling good right now. It’s almost Durham time for them.
You are ashamed that he lied about a great number of things and also worked for a foreign government against us interests?  Or ashamed that Trump ever hired him despite being warmed not to?

Durham time? Is that like Horowitz time? Or the other investigations that turned up nothing?

And no, a day where the DOJ becomes a political arm of the executive is not a great day.

What happened to General Flynn makes me ashamed to be an American. What a great day today is.

I can’t imagine Comey, Brennan and Clapper are feeling good right now. It’s almost Durham time for them.
Do you think “They’re Coming to Take Me Away” is playing in their minds?

You’re extremely difficult to discuss anything with. Everything you say or post is fact and legit. Everything someone opposing you posts or says is illegitimate or not true. 
Yeah how about address the posts and not the person...and you act as if we have had a lot of discussions.

Also, you claimed something was a fact...thats has been shown to not have been a fact.  

Strange times how history can be rewritten. Flynn was using government resources to push foreign government agendas, without registering as a foreign lobbyist. It’s wrong on many levels. He is a corrupt traitor.
Yeah but his lawyers say everything he did was ok...they told FoxNews and everything.

And alot of Americans will think this is political the other way.  The great days of a United States of America are behind us.

Sure it has. He said he only pled guilty because they were threatening to go after his son. 
That would be a problem only for the people that Flynn was going to testify against - his partners whom he was working with for Turkey.  And it would only be a problem in terms of informing them. It's not at all a problem for any defendant who pleads to help family members or anyone else caught up in a crime. It's a regular thing.

Since this is the "Russia Investigation" & 2400 plus pages long I thought I'd go back in time & check out previous posts.  amazing how many people were so wrong so many times in this thread and didn't even come close to admitting it.  It's a useless exercise in futility in here trying to make a point when preconceived notions preclude the point trying to be made.

it is what it is.

have fun.

It’s quite troubling to see so many so willing to trample on the constitution, ignore civil liberty violations and almost cheer on the middle finger being given to the citizens of this country all in the name of your side “getting” the other side. The evidence coming out is now making this very clear and a whole lot of you are just ignoring it. Very troubling. 

It’s quite troubling to see so many so willing to trample on the constitution, ignore civil liberty violations and almost cheer on the middle finger being given to the citizens of this country all in the name of your side “getting” the other side. The evidence coming out is now making this very clear and a whole lot of you are just ignoring it. Very troubling. 
Just to play devil’s advocate here, but you do realize the other view point from yours feels EXACTLY the same way.  

Users who are viewing this thread