Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
whoknew

The Russia Investigation: Mueller - "Over the course of my career, I've seen a number of challenges to our democracy.The Russian govt's effort to interfere in our election is among the most serious."

7 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

Agreed

Cute. You didn’t read the report, and Barr didn’t refute Mueller’s reliance on OLC and USC.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Cute. You didn’t read the report, and Barr didn’t refute Mueller’s reliance on OLC and USC.

Making statements like this makes it hard to take you seriously.

• Like 1

Just now, Don't Noonan said:

Making statements like this makes it hard to take you seriously.

It’s easy for me, I can just cite the report. Can you point to where Barr explained his position on the OLC memos?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

>>Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s appearance before a House panel has been stalled partly due to discussions on whether the White House’s assertion of executive privilege would limit his testimony, according to people familiar with the matter.

The House Judiciary Committee and Mr. Mueller’s team have been in negotiations for days about the contours of the special counsel’s eagerly-awaited testimony about his 448-page report on Russian interference in the 2016 election and episodes in which President Trump allegedly sought to influence the investigation.

...Legal questions on how Mr. Trump’s assertion of executive privilege would affect Mr. Mueller’s testimony are central to the continuing negotiations, said the people familiar with the matter. The privilege claim could prevent him from discussing details involving Mr. Trump and his advisers beyond what is in the redacted report, the people added. The Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel is weighing the questions and is expected to provide guidance, officials said.<<

- WSJ

6 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

It’s easy for me, I can just cite the report. Can you point to where Barr explained his position on the OLC memos?

Getting colder

4 hours ago, Mr. Ham said:

If Trump were not President, 700+ federal prosecutors agree he’d be indicted on Obstruction. You utterly discount the seriousness of that felony, and that it served its purpose of impeding justice.

Trump’s tax returns show a clear and brazen disregard for laws, and fingerprints of evasion.

And don’t forget he’d have also been indicted on charges in SDNY for campaign finance violations relating to hush money (felonies for which Cohen is doing hard time).

Keep pretending, and act shocked when more of the already established fact pattern shows Trump is a conman criminal beholden to foreign powers and widely vulnerable to blackmail. Which makes it curious how he seems to have undermined our nation’s laws, sought to corrupt it from within, and served foreign interests since his illegitimate installation. 

Yeah, yeah, yeah...and 97% of all scientists believe in "man-made" climate change...and 4 out of 5 dentists surveyed, recommend Colgate.

Those numbers mean nothing....unless they want what you want.

Edited by Opie

10 minutes ago, Opie said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah...and 97% of all scientists believe in "man-made" climate change...and 4 out of 5 dentists surveyed, recommend Colgate.

Like how the unemployment numbers meant nothing and were fake to Trump prior to him getting elected yet now he touts them every chance he gets. Kinda like that?  Or how polls numbers were wrong B.T. (Before Trump) yet now somehow are magically correct now. Like that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was browsing some conservative websites today and it really is like visiting a different, alternative reality. Italy is about to reveal information about Brennan that will send him to jail. The solicitor general (Horowitz) is going to issue a report within days that will reveal that the FISA investigation of Trump was completely political and unwarranted, and several prominent Democrats, including Comey and Brennan, along with corrupt members of the FBI and CIA are going to be arrested. The public will freak out, probably guaranteeing a second term for Trump. 

And this is all going to happen SOON. Like maybe by next week. 

Just now, timschochet said:

I was browsing some conservative websites today and it really is like visiting a different, alternative reality. Italy is about to reveal information about Brennan that will send him to jail. The solicitor general (Horowitz) is going to issue a report within days that will reveal that the FISA investigation of Trump was completely political and unwarranted, and several prominent Democrats, including Comey and Brennan, along with corrupt members of the FBI and CIA are going to be arrested. The public will freak out, probably guaranteeing a second term for Trump. 

You could have basically read that here from a few people.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Why do you visit those websites in the first place?

Just now, bradyfan said:

Why do you visit those websites in the first place?

I like to explore different points of view, especially from people I generally disagree with. I’m constantly on the lookout for new information or arguments I didn’t consider. 

40 minutes ago, Opie said:

Damn. The entire Trump supporter ethos boiled down to one short, cogent sentence.  Well done, Opes.

I don't believe this is the way most rational adults think.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

By Carol D. Leonnig and Rosalind S. Helderman

May 16 at 10:07 PM

A federal judge on Thursday ordered that prosecutors make public a transcript of a phone call that former national security adviser Michael Flynn tried hard to hide with a lie: his conversation with a Russian ambassador in late 2016.

U.S. District Judge Emmet G. Sullivan in Washington ordered the government also to provide a public transcript of a November 2017 voice mail involving Flynn. In that sensitive call, President Trump’s attorney left a message for Flynn’s attorney reminding him of the president’s fondness for Flynn at a time when Flynn was considering cooperating with federal investigators.

The transcripts, which the judge ordered be posted on a court website by May 31, would reveal conversations at the center of two major avenues of special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election. So far they have been disclosed to the public only in fragments in court filings and the Mueller report.

Sullivan also ordered that still-redacted portions of the Mueller report that relate to Flynn be given to the court and made public.

I'm sure it's nothing.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/homenews/administration/444126-poll-overwhelming-majority-of-americans-dont-think-trumps-term-should%3famp

This article has a headline that should make me feel better, but hidden in the poll is the stunning fact that nearly one third of all Republicans would like to see Trump’s initial term extended by 2 years to make up for the Russia investigation. 31%. 

I mean, I dont want to believe in man made climate change. I dont want to stop driving my half ton truck or curb my beef consumption or be diligent about recycling every stupid piece of garbage that leaves my home. But then I listen, and watch, and read... and I realize that regardless of what I want, this #### is going to happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I like to explore different points of view, especially from people I generally disagree with. I’m constantly on the lookout for new information or arguments I didn’t consider. 

They are too crazy for me.

5 minutes ago, Herb said:

Damn. The entire Trump supporter ethos boiled down to one short, cogent sentence.  Well done, Opes.

I don't believe this is the way most rational adults think.

Trump already had that covered when he told people not to believe what they were hearing and reading and seeing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Herb said:

I mean, I dont want to believe in man made climate change. I dont want to stop driving my half ton truck or curb my beef consumption or be diligent about recycling every stupid piece of garbage that leaves my home. But then I listen, and watch, and read... and I realize that regardless of what I want, this #### is going to happen.

It’s a sad state of affairs when 97% isn’t enough of a convincing number.  But for another thread so I digress.....

27 minutes ago, timschochet said:

If only there was a convenient 3-letter abbreviation which could accurately describe this condition...

12 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

It’s a sad state of affairs when 97% isn’t enough of a convincing number.  But for another thread so I digress.....

I’m going to use this.

”Your child has a 97% in my class but I’m giving them a ‘C minus’....”

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

7 hours ago, [scooter] said:

Ukraine clears both Bidens of any wrongdoing

And another Trump/Rudy conspiracy theory goes up in smoke.

edit: props to SiD for beating me to the news.

I think you’ll be hearing about Biden/Ukraine for as long as Biden is a Democratic front runner.  It’s going to be the new Uranium One.

33 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

I'm sure it's nothing.

Everyone in this administration has some sort of disorder where they lie constantly for no reason at all. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

I’m going to use this.

My youngest said one of his teachers hated him. He's a great kid on all fronts so emailed her something like "we know this isn't true but our child thinks you hate him.  He is really struggling in your class for some reason and has always been an A/B student. We though you should know. Please let us know if you have any concerns."

She didn't bother to reply now she isn't getting a $25 Panera card in two weeks. 

13 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

I’m going to use this.

Close.  It’s more like....

”Your child has a 97% in my class but I don’t believe they exist.”

42 minutes ago, timschochet said:

This article has a headline that should make me feel better, but hidden in the poll is the stunning fact that nearly one third of all Republicans would like to see Trump’s initial term extended by 2 years to make up for the Russia investigation. 31%. 

Trump leads, Trump followers follow.

16 minutes ago, 2Squirrels1Nut said:

My youngest said one of his teachers hated him. He's a great kid on all fronts so emailed her something like "we know this isn't true but our child thinks you hate him.  He is really struggling in your class for some reason and has always been an A/B student. We though you should know. Please let us know if you have any concerns."

She didn't bother to reply now she isn't getting a $25 Panera card in two weeks. 

Next time tell her about the gift card up front.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Sullivan also ordered that still-redacted portions of the Mueller report that relate to Flynn be given to the court and made public.

Well that's one way to do it. 

59 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

U.S. District Judge Emmet G. Sullivan in Washington ordered the government also to provide a public transcript of a November 2017 voice mail involving Flynn. In that sensitive call, President Trump’s attorney left a message for Flynn’s attorney reminding him of the president’s fondness for Flynn at a time when Flynn was considering cooperating with federal investigators.

Mueller’s team noted in particular that, in November 2017 — after Flynn withdrew from his joint defense agreement with the president — Trump’s “personal counsel,” who was Dowd, left a voice mail for Kelner that urged him to give a “heads up” if they had anything that implicated the president. He added: “Remember what we’ve always said about the President and his feelings toward Flynn.” In a later call, Kelner repeated that he could not share information with Dowd, and Dowd grew indignant and said he believed the president would be very displeased, the report said.

WaPo

Is this the big reveal promised in November? Republicans being outed for treasonous acts.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2

The defendant also provided useful information concerning discussions within the campaign about WikiLeaks? release of emails. WikiLeaks is an important subject of the investigation because a Russian intelligence service used WikiLeaks to release emails the intelligence service stole during the 2016 presidential campaign. On July 22, 2016, WiltiLeaks released emails stolen from the Democratic National Committee. Beginning on October 2016, WikiLeaks released emails stolen from John Podesta, the chairman of Hillary Clinton's 2016 presidential campaign. The defendant relayed to the government statements made in 2016 by senior campaign officials about WikiLeaks to which only a select few people were privy. For example, the defendant recalled conversations with senior campaign officials after the release of the Podesta emails, during which the prospect of reaching out to WikiLeaks was discussed.

The defendant informed the government of multiple instances, both before and after his guilty plea, where either he or his attorneys received communications from persons connected to the Administration or Congress that could have affected both his willingness to cooperate and the completeness of that cooperation. The defendant even provided a voicemail recording of one such communication. In some of those instances, the SCO was unaware of the outreach until being alerted to it by the defendant.

Flynn sentencing memo.

Multiple instances.

3 hours ago, Don't Noonan said:

Getting...

This may help.

Klobuchar: You wrote on page one that a President persuading a person to commit perjury would be obstruction. Is that right?

Barr: Yes. Any person who persuades another.

Klobuchar: Okay. You also said that a President or any person convincing a witness to change testimony would be obstruction. Is that right?

Barr: Yes.

Klobuchar: And on page two, you said that a President deliberately impairing the integrity or availability of evidence would be an obstruction. Is that correct?

Klobuchar: OK. And so what if a President told a witness not to cooperate with an investigation or hinted at a pardon?

Barr: I’d have to now the specifics facts, I’d have to know the specific facts.

Klobuchar: OK. And you wrote on page one that if a President knowingly destroys or alters evidence, that would be obstruction?

And this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

4 hours ago, Don't Noonan said:
4 hours ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Proof would require a determination by the Attorney General

Agreed

First, please don’t change people’s words within the quote boxes.

Second, Saints is right about whom Mueller punted to with respect to determining whether the President is criminally guilty of obstruction.

(Note that Mueller didn’t punt on the issue of whether to conclude that Trump is innocent of obstruction. Mueller stated that an examination of Trump’s actions and intent did not support a conclusion that Trump was innocent. He punted only on the question of whether Trump was guilty.)

On the question of whether Trump was criminally guilty of obstruction, Mueller abided by the OLC letter and its implications. The OLC letter says that a sitting President can’t be criminally tried while in office. And since he can’t be tried (and therefore can’t clear his name by being acquitted), it’s unfair for a prosecutor to make a judgment that he’s committed a crime.

But while the President can’t be criminally tried by the DOJ, Mueller explained that he can be impeached by Congress. In fact, Mueller further explained, one of the reasons that the DOJ (which includes both Mueller and Barr) should not make a determination about whether Trump is guilty of a crime is that such a determination might be seen as preempting Congress’s determination about whether Trump committed an impeachable offense. Therefore, Mueller was explicitly not punting to Barr at all, but to Congress.

I expect Mueller to reaffirm this point in clear language if he ever testifies to Congress. (It’s already pretty clear in the report.)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/homenews/administration/444126-poll-overwhelming-majority-of-americans-dont-think-trumps-term-should%3famp

It kind of amazes me how you always think the best of people.

People suck.

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

Next time tell her about the gift card up front.

First bad teacher any of my kids have had. Surprising and disappointed. Probably won't sleep with her now. 

6 hours ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Here’s the Bloomberg report.

- Mueller produced evidence, he stated the DOJ did not have jurisdiction to prosecute. In Ukraine, they investigated and did not find evidence.

Obstruction.  Not collusion.  Collusion narrative was completely BTFO.  

2 hours ago, timschochet said:

Personally, I'm relieved that it's only 31%.

7 hours ago, timschochet said:

I thought Infowars got deplatformed

8 hours ago, [scooter] said:

If only there was a convenient 3-letter abbreviation which could accurately describe this condition...

QAnon is five letters.

• Laughing 1

6 hours ago, ren hoek said:

Ha ha, I must've missed that tweet saying "no collusion just obstruction"! 

7 hours ago, ren hoek said:

TSP prepares one well for this. If you take away Barkley's runs over 30 yards, he's just averaging a paltry 3.8 ypc, yaknow. The Biden comp is beyond awful.

"Yuriy Lutsenko, the current prosecutor general, said that neither Hunter Biden nor Burisma were now the focus of an investigation."

“Biden was definitely not involved,” Lutsenko said. “We do not have any grounds to think that there was any wrongdoing starting from 2014.”

This is the guy that Giuliani thought had key information for him. Zelensky wouldn't meet with Giuliani.

So Hunter Biden wasn't even involved. He wasn't even a focus of the investigation. Trump and his campaign had several convictions and had over 140 contacts.  

In terms of comps, I guess what I'd like to know is why Giuliani has so many criminals and authoritarians in his private business, and why isn't he under investigation for Fara charges. This reminds me a little bit of Flynn and a little more of Manafort who, like Giuliani, said he was working for "free" when obviously he was expecting to make bank off his connection to Trump while working for the Russians and who knows who else.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

TSP prepares one well for this. If you take away Barkley's runs over 30 yards, he's just averaging a paltry 3.8 ypc, yaknow. The Biden comp is beyond awful.

This is the guy that Giuliani thought had key information for him. Zelensky wouldn't meet with Giuliani.

So Hunter Biden wasn't even involved. He wasn't even a focus of the investigation. Trump and his campaign had several convictions and had over 140 contacts.  

In terms of comps, I guess what I'd like to know is why Giuliani has so many criminals and authoritarians in his private business, and why isn't he under investigation for Fara charges. This reminds me a little bit of Flynn and a little more of Manafort who, like Giuliani, said he was working for "free" when obviously he was expecting to make bank off his connection to Trump while working for the Russians and who knows who else.

And if Biden is the nominee how quickly will Trump talk about this at a rally?  “Who knows what Hunter was really doing over there...many people are saying he was doing bad things”.

6 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

And if Biden is the nominee how quickly will Trump talk about this at a rally?  “Who knows what Hunter was really doing over there...many people are saying he was doing bad things”.

Publish your own Trump Libs activity book. Republicans will buy loads of them only to find out it is your knock off of Mad Libs. Lol

• Laughing 1

13 hours ago, Don't Noonan said:

Agreed

Changing people's posts is not allowed here anymore

Edited by Slapdash
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

If Rudy Giuliani was Russian, he would have been under investigation for FARA charges.  If he was Israeli, Saudi, or Japanese, he wouldn't have.  See how that works?

That's how you get a completely innocent person rotting in jail for a year and a half, while the real foreign lobbies crawling all over Washington skate free.

44 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

So Hunter Biden wasn't even involved. He wasn't even a focus of the investigation. Trump and his campaign had several convictions and had over 140 contacts 

The New York Times first published its grand “connect the dots” graphic in January, 2019. After the Mueller report was published, ostensibly blowing up the conspiracy angle, the paper didn’t terminate the project. Instead, it expanded and updated its Manchurian Candidate-style infidel-counting exercise, under a new headline: “Mueller Report Shows Depth of Connections Between Trump Campaign and Russians.” 

The updated version counted 18 card-carrying Trump associates (it was 17 originally) who along with Trump had at least “140 contacts with Russian nationals and Wikileaks, or their intermediaries.”

Many features like this have been quietly updated over time to fit new developments, in what is an interesting and innovative (let’s call it that) new form of factually-agile publishing. The original Times chart contained a line about Michael Cohen: “His partner in the effort was Felix Sater, a Trump business associate with deep contacts in Russia.”

That line is yanked from the current version, presumably because Sater – who is described throughout the Mueller report promising an ability to set up meetings with the likes of Putin – has never been shown to actually have “deep contacts” in Russia.

In fact, according to Mueller, Cohen ultimately bailed on the Trump Tower project precisely because he started to realize Sater was full of it and and became “concerned that Russian officials were not actually involved” in any of the discussions he thought he’d been having.

Absent some indication that its pile of dots has ever been proven to mean anything, the inanity of this as a journalistic exercise is mind-boggling. Here are some of the things the Times still counts as showing a “depth” of connections with Russia:

— Hope Hicks, Trump’s former communications chief, “received an email on behalf of the editor-in-chief of a Russian internet newspaper asking for an interview with Donald Trump.”

— Hicks also “received an email from an official at the Russian embassy” containing Putin’s formal congratulations after the election. The paper made sure to note the email was subject-lined, “Message from Putin.”

— Former Trump aide Michael Caputo was “contacted by a Russian business associate.” This is a reference to Sergei Petrushin, a rock music producer and club owner who’s been Caputo’s longtime partner in a PR firm, Zeppelin Communications; the two have known each other for decades. 

— In the same dot, the Times went on to note Petrushin “said” he wanted to put the campaign in touch with “a Russian who had dirt on Hillary Clinton.” This makes it sound like a sneaky Russian-to-Russian approach of Caputo. Actually, the second “Russian,” Henry Greenberg, is a 17-year FBI informant who bumrushed Petrushin at a Miami studio opening with a phony offer of PR work, then asked to be put in touch with Caputo. This story in particular stinks to hell (much more on it later).

— Trump was “invited by a Russian deputy Prime Minister to attend a forum in St. Petersburg.”

— In a separate dot: “Trump was ‘honored to be asked’ to participate in the forum, but would ‘have to decline,’ according to an email from [Trump’s] personal assistant.” (So the issue here is, what – being “honored” by the invite?).

— Corey Lewandowski was “forwarded an email inviting Trump to attend a forum in St. Petersburg.”

Amazing how fast an email chain about one thing can turn into multiple “dots.” This goes on throughout. The approach of Trump aide George Papadopoulos by a Maltese professor claiming (but never proven) to have Russian ties produces another six or seven dots on the chart. It’s nuts.

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/the-roots-of-passive-collusion

His point, in the post he was responding to, was about how a conspiracy theory 'went up in smoke'.  Trump/Russia collusion, like the Hunter Biden story according to some here, was laid completely to waste.  Mueller threw tons of people in jail for any number of infractions, none of them having to do with collusion or conspiracy with Russia.  So it's deceptive to conflate the fake conspiracy theory with the decision not to prosecute obstruction.  

Edited by ren hoek

21 hours ago, The Commish said:
22 hours ago, knowledge dropper said:

The tone of this thread has definitely changed after Trump’s “exoneration” and now opening an investigation into the source of this “witch hunt.”

It’s BARR TIME.  

Agreed....and I think many of us appreciate that.  It wasn't long ago that many here wouldn't bother to acknowledge reality by using quotes like you do here.  It's pretty refreshing :thumbup: 

Welp...that didn't last long.....back to SSDD.

The NYT's documenting of "Russian contacts," as if every administration didn't have extensive contact with the Russian state for the past 30 years, is an embarrassment.  Like working with people of Russian descent is automatically suspicious.  The "paper of record" should not be engaged in this sort of xenophobia.