Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
whoknew

The Russia Investigation: Mueller - "Over the course of my career, I've seen a number of challenges to our democracy.The Russian govt's effort to interfere in our election is among the most serious."

34 minutes ago, moleculo said:

"I'm not Donald Trump!" sounds like a winnable platform.

Really up their game and throw JUMBO Bounty paper towels out at rallys. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rove! said:

What exactly will the Democrats be running in in a year or in three years?  Nuclear war with Russia, increased internet censorship and restrictions on free speech, encouraging  disrespect of the flag, approving of political violence....sounds like they have embraced some real winning positions over the first nine months of the Trump Administration....

I'm pretty sure, the dems will point out Trump's favorite general - General Incompetence

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rove! said:

What exactly will the Democrats be running in in a year or in three years?  Nuclear war with Russia, increased internet censorship and restrictions on free speech, encouraging  disrespect of the flag, approving of political violence....sounds like they have embraced some real winning positions over the first nine months of the Trump Administration....

I don't know for sure, but I don't think they'll put any of that in the official platform. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

I don't know for sure, but I don't think they'll put any of that in the official platform. 

Hey, you never know. 

52 minutes ago, The Indestructible said:

Maddow Blog‏Verified account @MaddowBlog

BREAKING: Associate of Steele tells #Maddow that Steele said yes to Senate Intel meeting request.

On her show tonight, Maddow portrayed it as if Steele was waiting on Burr and Warner to send him what day they wanted to meet him, but didn’t hear from them again.

3 hours ago, Koya said:

It's a ludicrous and indefensible stance that can only be explained by ignorance or ulterior motive. 

Comparing a handful of email accounts being leaked to three thousand deaths in a national tragedy is pretty ignorant, yes.  

Just now, proninja said:

Oh, so you're behind @guardianrover 

We haven't had one of these posts all week so figured I would fill the gap. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, thatguythere said:

We hurdle bodies that lay on the ground
And as the Russians fire another round
We get so near yet so far away
We won't live to fight another day

It's not quite there. If you want to emulate vogons you have to use a more visual, yet swamp infested style

Keep at it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sheriff Bart said:

There's some big news that's about to drop. 

May or may not be related, but rumblings that General Kelly may have already resigned--announced this evening. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sheriff Bart said:

There's some big news that's about to drop. 

Let us know how everything comes out.

4 hours ago, msommer said:

It's not quite there. If you want to emulate vogons you have to use a more visual, yet swamp infested style

Keep at it!

You realize these are lyrics.....

Just now, thatguythere said:

You realize these are lyrics.....

So are these

Oh freddled gruntbuggly,

Thy micturations are to me,(with big yawning)

As plurdled gabbleblotchits,

On a lurgid bee,

That mordiously hath blurted out,

Its earted jurtles, grumbling

Into a rancid festering confectious organ squealer. [drowned out by moaning and screaming]

Now the jurpling slayjid agrocrustles,

Are slurping hagrilly up the axlegrurts,

And living glupules frart and stipulate,

Like jowling meated liverslime,

Groop, I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes,

And hooptiously drangle me,

With crinkly bindlewurdles,mashurbitries.

Or else I shall rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon,

See if I don't!

(I probably won't!)

Just a teeny bit more Vogon sounding, wouldn't you say? 

So, off to commune with your muse, I'm the next attempt will be better!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, msommer said:

So are these

Just a teeny bit more Vogon sounding, wouldn't you say? 

So, off to commune with your muse, I'm the next attempt will be better!

Wtf are you posting about.  I posted some iron maiden lyrics to Bruce dickinson, and you are posting some gobbly ##### about aliens.  

Edited by thatguythere

Just now, thatguythere said:

Wtf are you posting about.  I posted some iron maiden lyrics to Bruce dickinson, and you are posting some gobble ##### about aliens.  

As I said, feel free to try better next time

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thatguythere said:

Wtf are you posting about.  I posted some iron maiden lyrics to Bruce dickinson, and you are posting some gobbly ##### about aliens.  

I’m not that Bruce Dickinson.  Please try to keep up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ren hoek said:

Comparing a handful of email accounts being leaked to three thousand deaths in a national tragedy is pretty ignorant, yes.  

Hi ren hoek, 2 questions

I'm curious to know which group of people you think are more informed.  This group, which is more or less adjusted to society, middle to upper middle class, educated and professional who come here to share news or the /pol bunch who are mostly still college kids/dropouts who have trouble interacting with other humans face to face and post nazi/white supremacist/misogynist memes for fun.  I ask because you are sure dismissive of this bunch, while you were pretty quick to defend 4chan a while back.

And do you think this russia stuff is still all made up?

TIA

14 minutes ago, thatguythere said:

Feel free to act like a cuckoo bird.

Feel free in general

(and try to bring more funny)

11 hours ago, The Indestructible said:

Maddow Blog‏Verified account @MaddowBlog

BREAKING: Associate of Steele tells #Maddow that Steele said yes to Senate Intel meeting request.

It's pretty hard at this point for any sane or reasonable human to deny the validity of much/most of the dossier. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheriff Bart said:

I don't see a story anywhere but wonder if it has something to do with this:

John Kelly's personal cellphone was compromised, White House believes

While the other incompetent boobs in this administration probably would be caught communicating with Russians or sharing classified information, I doubt Kelly would do anything like that in his personal cell. The more likely scenario is it would reveal him saying very negative comments about Trump to his friends, family and colleagues. Essentially putting words to the expression he makes every time Trump speaks. If that were to leak, I could see that as a reason for him to resign or be forced to resign.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Biff84 said:

While the other incompetent boobs in this administration probably would be caught communicating with Russians or sharing classified information, I doubt Kelly would do anything like that in his personal cell. The more likely scenario is it would reveal him saying very negative comments about Trump to his friends, family and colleagues. Essentially putting words to the expression he makes every time Trump speaks. If that were to leak, I could see that as a reason for him to resign or be forced to resign.

I agree 100%.

1 hour ago, culdeus said:

So all this a nothingburger still?

The kiddos call it muh russia

4 hours ago, Bruce Dickinson said:

I’m not that Bruce Dickinson.  Please try to keep up.

Keep up?   I don't follow you around, you aren't that important.

1 hour ago, culdeus said:

So all this a nothingburger still?

I think that one twitter account posted a bomb emoji the other day, so there's probably some huge burgers about to drop.  

i am swc yes the swc brohans and i put my pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of you except that when they are on i take it to the bank bromigos 

Edited by SWC
  • Like 5

Big nothingburger.  No reason the Special Counsel's team is meeting with US District Judge of DC (obstruction of justice jurisdiction):

ABC News: Robert Mueller's team met behind closed doors today w an unknown group of attorneys & chief judge of US District Court in DC

https://twitter.com/MikeDelMoro/status/916381519643586561

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dedfin said:

Hi ren hoek, 2 questions

I'm curious to know which group of people you think are more informed.  This group, which is more or less adjusted to society, middle to upper middle class, educated and professional who come here to share news or the /pol bunch who are mostly still college kids/dropouts who have trouble interacting with other humans face to face and post nazi/white supremacist/misogynist memes for fun.  I ask because you are sure dismissive of this bunch, while you were pretty quick to defend 4chan a while back.

And do you think this russia stuff is still all made up?

TIA

It's definitely a lot looser.  

And yeah, most of it.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

And yeah, most of it.  

Keep us posted, seriously.  I'm curious to know if you change your mind and what does it.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dedfin said:

Keep us posted, seriously.  I'm curious to know if you change your mind and what does it.

Ask him what exactly is “made up.”

17 hours ago, Bucky86 said:

Ask him what exactly is “made up.”

I'm talking about the shoddy reporting.  Anything that can be contorted to suggest the administration are Russian stooges or the Kremlin is conquering the USA is reported, clicked on and monetized no problem, but any sort of retraction or outright falsehood just goes quietly away.  It's a big self-fulfilling complex at this point.  Journalists thirsty to nail Trump get tons of followers and clicks for publishing halfbaked distortions, then the redbaiting #resistance zealots get their bellies rubbed.  Everybody wins, except for responsible journalists and people concerned this is manufacturing consent for another military disaster.

Greenwald wrote a good article about all the stories that have fallen apart.  I don't recall seeing mainstream press being this careless and irresponsible since Iraq.  

Now they're talking about $150k in facebook ads.  Well what about the $1-2 billion the Democrats spent and $400 million spent by the Republicans?  That is ok because it came from purportedly domestic sources but we're supposed to be up in arms about $150k in fb ads?  As far as I can gather it's legal anyway isn't it?  While we're on the subject of foreign influence, can we get Israel out of our politics as well?  The election process is kind of a joke anyways but if you are that hardup on foreign influence maybe we can unload some bags there as well.  

• Like 1

I'm talking about the shoddy reporting.  Anything that can be contorted to suggest the administration are Russian stooges or the Kremlin is conquering the USA is reported, clicked on and monetized no problem, but any sort of retraction or outright falsehood just goes quietly away.  It's a big self-fulfilling complex at this point.  Journalists thirsty to nail Trump get tons of followers and clicks for publishing halfbaked distortions, then the redbaiting #resistance zealots get their bellies rubbed.  Everybody wins, except for responsible journalists and people concerned this is manufacturing consent for another military disaster.

Greenwald wrote a good article about all the stories that have fallen apart.  I don't recall seeing mainstream press being this careless and irresponsible since Iraq.  

Sounds like your beef is with the media, then.  FWIW, I think it's pretty easy to see the Trump admin is compromised by Russia simply by watching and evaluating the administration's priorities and decisions.  That's my proof.  There's a burglar in my house and I want to get rid of him.  I'm not too interested in someone saying I can't prove the burglar is in my house because I can't prove the mode of transportation he took to get to my street.    

Now they're talking about $150k in facebook ads.  Well what about the $1-2 billion the Democrats spent and $400 million spent by the Republicans?  That is ok because it came from purportedly domestic sources but we're supposed to be up in arms about $150k in fb ads?  As far as I can gather it's legal anyway isn't it?  While we're on the subject of foreign influence, can we get Israel out of our politics as well?  The election process is kind of a joke anyways but if you are that hardup on foreign influence maybe we can unload some bags there as well.  

You're conflating two separate issues.  One is of entities backed by a hostile foreign government meddling in our election process.  That is wrong under any circumstances, regardless of who in the USA benefits from it.  

The other is a campaign finance reform issue.  It's consistent for someone to be against foreign meddling but for tons of domestic money pouring into elections because some folks see money as a form of free speech.  It's also consistent for someone to be against foreign meddling and seeking to curb election spending because as election spending escalates the results tend to benefit the wealthy, especially in a society like the USA were wealth is so stratified and concentrated among so few.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bruce Dickinson said:

Sounds like your beef is with the media, then.  FWIW, I think it's pretty easy to see the Trump admin is compromised by Russia simply by watching and evaluating the administration's priorities and decisions.  That's my proof.  There's a burglar in my house and I want to get rid of him.  I'm not too interested in someone saying I can't prove the burglar is in my house because I can't prove the mode of transportation he took to get to my street.    

The problem with assuming Russian influence, for me, is that most of those policy decisions (US responsibility to NATO hurting more than it helps, preferring amicable relations with Russia over hostility, wanting the US to withdraw from world empire status) were arrived at because they actually make sense.  You might hear glass breaking in your head but it could be that nothing happened.

28 minutes ago, Bruce Dickinson said:

You're conflating two separate issues.  One is of entities backed by a hostile foreign government meddling in our election process.  That is wrong under any circumstances, regardless of who in the USA benefits from it.  

I don't think I am.  Israel is involved in our election process way more than any other country.  When was the last time a nominated Republican or Democratic presidential candidate didn't stand before AIPAC?  You view the wikileaks release as hostile.  Well I'm as American as anyone else is and I'm glad citizens got to see how pathetically corrupt their political/media system was.  If you lose to Donald Trump maybe the problem isn't the Russians, maybe the problem is you are political trash and need to go away forever.  Maybe next time Dems won't run a corporate war candidate running on fake positions that worships banks.  Donald Trump being the byproduct of the release (if you could even blame it on the release over numerous other factors) doesn't mean you blame people for informing you.  It's like punching your friend in the face for telling you your wife was cheating on you.  

53 minutes ago, Bruce Dickinson said:

The other is a campaign finance reform issue.  It's consistent for someone to be against foreign meddling but for tons of domestic money pouring into elections because some folks see money as a form of free speech.  It's also consistent for someone to be against foreign meddling and seeking to curb election spending because as election spending escalates the results tend to benefit the wealthy, especially in a society like the USA were wealth is so stratified and concentrated among so few.  

Ok I think we actually agree here, but let's not play around like $150k on facebook ads is somehow comparable or meaningful in any way to mondocorps throwing billions of dollars at our elections and having complete ownership of our politicians.  No, I'm not ok with any type of 'foreign influence' but to act like this in a million years matters more than having a system that actually represents voters is a huge waste of energy.  

3 hours ago, ren hoek said:

Greenwald wrote a good article about all the stories that have fallen apart.

Greenwald always comes across as an advocate, not a reporter. He's merely taking sides in this dispute, look at the article he himself links:

He said one theory is that Homeland Security saw suspicious activity from IP addresses targeting state election systems in other states and assumed that was the intent in Wisconsin as well.

“It’s been a difficult process trying to piece all of this together,” said Wisconsin Elections Commission spokesman Reid Magney. “We’re trying to understand what happened.”

Wisconsin’s chief information officer, David Cagigal, told the commission that Wisconsin had never been told by Homeland Security, prior to the Friday notice, that Russians had targeted Wisconsin’s election system or anything else. Deputy information officer, Herb Thompson, said Homeland Security told it in October to check on a certain IP address that the state had put in blocks to stop two months earlier in August 2016.

“We have never seen any of those activities result in anything other than someone trying to turn the doorknob to see if a door is open,” Thompson said. “Those IP addresses we talked about, we had blocked, they were related to non-election systems.”

Cagigal said, “Our systems were protected and we had no incidences.”

- DHS concldues that was an attempt to get into the election registration systems because that's what happened in the other states.

Wisconsin disagrees. Fine. IMO yeah trying to get into the state network, even if via another agency, when the same IP tried to get into election systems in every other state is probably worth counting as a "target", which is all the DHS said.

The reporting - by AP - was accurate. In fact AP had the follow up story. So even as GG claims the reporting is a lie, he links a story in which the full detail is given. Now as above GG could say that the DHS is wrong in its conclusion, but he doesn't do that. He takes sides and makes the assertion that the media is lying to everyone. Of course that's likely because he himself played a role in creating this problem.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

15 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Greenwald always comes across as an advocate, not a reporter. He's merely taking sides in this dispute, look at the article he himself links:

- DHS concldues that was an attempt to get into the election registration systems because that's what happened in the other states.

Wisconsin disagrees. Fine. IMO yeah trying to get into the state network, even if via another agency, when the same IP tried to get into election systems in every other state is probably worth counting as a "target", which is all the DHS said.

The reporting - by AP - was accurate. In fact AP had the follow up story. So even as GG claims the reporting is a lie, he links a story in which the full detail is given. Now as above GG could say that the DHS is wrong in its conclusion, but he doesn't do that. He takes sides and makes the assertion that the media is lying to everyone. Of course that's likely because he himself played a role in creating this problem.

I don't remember Greenwald writing anything other than editorial.  That's why I like him.  Me personally, I'd rather have it that way and know where someone stands than reporters who pretend they are impartial.  He's generally on the right side of history (imo) and a good advocate for civil liberties.

In the article he cites USA Today's story, Dem congressman Don Beyer's tweet, and Maddow's show, and they all seem to suggest that Russia 'hacked' their 'elections,' when there is no evidence given for it other than DHS saying so and the system was actually voter registration systems and two of the states rebuked the DHS' claim anyway.  

Did they walk back their stories at all or did it just sail off into mainstream conscience like usual?  

That Greenwald article is a red herring imo.  Admittedly I only scanned about half of it - but my impression is that Greenwald was calling out mainstream media for reporting things that later turned out to be not true - i.e. whether or not the 21 states were hacked by Russia.

But, the premise misses the point that the DHS announced the hacking.  What are the mainstream media sources supposed to do with that - when a US government agency, in a position to know - make a public proclamation.  Seems to me the only thing the media could do at that point is exactly what they did - report the announcement from DHS - and then begin following up with individual states - until the story is back-tracked by DHS.  Thats on DHS, not the media... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ren hoek said:

I don't remember Greenwald writing anything other than editorial.  That's why I like him.  Me personally, I'd rather have it that way and know where someone stands than reporters who pretend they are impartial.  He's generally on the right side of history (imo) and a good advocate for civil liberties.

In the article he cites USA Today's story, Dem congressman Don Beyer's tweet, and Maddow's show, and they all seem to suggest that Russia 'hacked' their 'elections,' when there is no evidence given for it other than DHS saying so and the system was actually voter registration systems and two of the states rebuked the DHS' claim anyway.  

Did they walk back their stories at all or did it just sail off into mainstream conscience like usual?  

fyi greenwald is a kremlin agent of influence. 

1 hour ago, ren hoek said:

I don't agree with the phrase 'hacked the election' myself, however I get the idea, people can argue for that and the case is out. USAT didn't use that phrase, Maddow falls into the category of 'pundit' (though she reports the news she does so with a liberal-progressive perspective) IMO and a Congressman is a politician, not a reporter. GG is twisting what the USAT said in his own story, USAT stated what the DHS said, they even reported that "The attempt in Wisconsin was unsuccessful, he said." Looking at Maddow's statements, I don't think I have a problem with it (“What we have now figured out [is that] Homeland Security knew at least by June that 21 states had been targeted by Russian hackers during the election. . .targeting their election infrastructure.”). Based on what the DHS said, that's not inaccurate, that is actually what DHS said. I think GG militating to push a certain POV that 'the media is lying to you' is overt here. 

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 2

Rumors that this meeting could be about unsealing indictments.

“ABC News: Robert Mueller's team met behind closed doors today w an unknown group of attorneys & chief judge of US District Court in DC”

10 hours ago, snitwitch said:

fyi greenwald is a kremlin agent of influence. 

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but something weird is going on with him. Many years ago, he was an excellent advocate for civil liberties, free speech, and other good things. Over the last few years, he's gotten pretty weird about Russia stuff. I don't know what's going on, exactly, but it really is pretty weird.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but something weird is going with him. Many years ago, he was an excellent advocate for civil liberties, free speech, and other good things. Over the last few years, he's gotten pretty weird about Russia stuff. I don't know what's going on, exactly, but it really is pretty weird.

How has he gotten pretty weird? 

9 hours ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but something weird is going on with him. Many years ago, he was an excellent advocate for civil liberties, free speech, and other good things. Over the last few years, he's gotten pretty weird about Russia stuff. I don't know what's going on, exactly, but it really is pretty weird.

Saying "he is" is definitely going too far.

But that certainly seems to be the simplest explanation that fits his behavior.

9 hours ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

i don't think he is under active control, but he is something a little more than a "useful idiot" for putin. i think he has such animus for US government overreach that is personal views happen to align with the kremlin's a lot. matt taibbi is another example (though my tinfoil hat side thinks they have kompromat on him from the time he spent living and whoring in russia in the late 90s)