What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn (9 Viewers)

The question everyone should be asking on how this relates back to Trump-Russia...

Why would a blatant money launderer of Russian money volunteer to be campaign manager for a Presidential campaign with so much scrutiny?

The question everyone should be asking on how this relates back to Trump-Russia...

Why would a blatant money launderer of Russian money volunteer to be campaign manager for a Presidential campaign with so much scrutiny?
forget about him volunteering why would team trump hire him i think thats a hell of a lot more telling bromigo take that to the bank 

The harsh language of the indictment should terrify anyone that has close relationships with Manafort, most notably Trump.  

A career criminal like that is going to sing like a bird imo.

Meanwhile on FoxNews.com........

FOX & FRIENDS FIRST

Is the Russia collusion investigation unethical?

TUCKER CARLSON TONIGHT

Tucker: Trump dossier is far from 'opposition research'

FOX & FRIENDS FIRST

King: Mueller needs to be transparent with American people
After news of the indictment broke this morning, Fox & Friends covered the "Emoji Cheesburger Crisis At Google".  I am not making this up.  

The money laundering always seems to trip these guys up. Surely there's a way to do it that is more foolproof? How do the big time drug guys handle this?
They open legit businesses, that seem to be exceptionally successful.  

Also, it's hubris.  These guys don't think anyone will ever come after them.  

Which is what will get Trump.  He thinks he is so smart, so he didn't take any decent precautions.  

16/ That Mueller is able to start with the President's Campaign Manager—rather than some peon—means he is that much closer to getting Trump.
29/ And by bringing in two *connected* defendants, Mueller can play them off one another—because both will be rushing to cooperate first.

What jumps out is how crude and unsophisticated the money laundering was. 
Well, in general it's highly unusual prosecutors would have this level of detail on the foreign accounts.  The fact they do is why I think the real money guys in the USA should be very afraid.  It only looks unsophisticated in retrospect when you have the actual documents and wires to connect everything.  

The money laundering always seems to trip these guys up. Surely there's a way to do it that is more foolproof? How do the big time drug guys handle this?
Their problem is generally getting it out of the US not into.  It's much easier to get money out and they never have to pay US income taxes.

Well, in general it's highly unusual prosecutors would have this level of detail on the foreign accounts.  The fact they do is why I think the real money guys in the USA should be very afraid.  It only looks unsophisticated in retrospect when you have the actual documents and wires to connect everything.  
I used to do some AML work early in my career, as it was something that really interested me from a big picture perspective. I quickly realized I didn't have the eye for it and shifted my specialty into another area, but always laughed at how simple it looked once everything was pieced together. 

16/ That Mueller is able to start with the President's Campaign Manager—rather than some peon—means he is that much closer to getting Trump.
That just seems to be an assertion that Abramson is pulling out of his ###.  Everyone knew Manafort was sketchy.  People wrote about it when he was hired.  Most of the illegal activity in the indictment predates any role in the Trump campaign.  If Abaramson is trying to say that the relatives severity of these financial crimes gives him a good stick to use against a relatively senior guy who might flip, I understand that.  But that assumes that Manafort really has goods to give up on Trump (or some other "bigger" fish like Kushner).  We don't know that.  And, of course, there is the potential pardon lying out there. 

44/ Let me now make a *key* point: Mueller could *easily* get Flynn on the same FARA charges we see here. So why hasn't Flynn been charged?

45/ The answer is that either there's a sealed indictment on Mike Flynn the media doesn't know about—unlikely—or Flynn has already flipped.

That just seems to be an assertion that Abramson is pulling out of his ###.  Everyone knew Manafort was sketchy.  People wrote about it when he was hired.  Most of the illegal activity in the indictment predates any role in the Trump campaign.  If Abaramson is trying to say that the relatives severity of these financial crimes gives him a good stick to use against a relatively senior guy who might flip, I understand that.  But that assumes that Manafort really has goods to give up on Trump (or some other "bigger" fish like Kushner).  We don't know that.  And, of course, there is the potential pardon lying out there. 
Yeah, the only thing I would say is that every indictment (in any case) is for a reason.  In this case, Mueller is showing everyone he has the FINCEN goods on everyone (again this level of detail should be making them all quake assuming everything is not on the up and up), that he's not afraid to use the FARA statute (Flynn), and that I might just ruin your Monday morning if you lie to me.  

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
44/ Let me now make a *key* point: Mueller could *easily* get Flynn on the same FARA charges we see here. So why hasn't Flynn been charged?

45/ The answer is that either there's a sealed indictment on Mike Flynn the media doesn't know about—unlikely—or Flynn has already flipped.
Seems to me there is an obvious third option.  They think there's more to get Flynn on than FARA.  My understanding is that the information Woolsey gave Mueller was about a plan to essentially kidnap the cleric that Erdogan believes caused the coup and to ship him back to Turkey extrajudically.  Needless to say, that's a pretty stunning accusation. 

Abramson's train of thought here was that these types of cases (Russian Collusion) - which rely on testimony more than documents - tend to require people being coerced into testifying.  Thus, the fact that Mueller "started" as high up as Manafort suggested that the case is closer to Trump, than if it had been someone like Page.

Agreed that it relies on Manafort having the goods, and being willing to talk.

Abramson also suggests that by not indicting Flynn yet (at least on the similar FARA charges), that Flynn may already have flipped.

Word is Flynn flipped a while ago, but backed out after the Arapaio pardon.  Maybe he's still flipped.  Might want to keep his son out of jail at least.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread