Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
whoknew

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn

1 minute ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

The difference is that resigning offers Trump a lot more leeway under the vacancies laws. Being fired ties Trump's hands more.

Looks like maybe the initial report was wrong.

1 minute ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

The difference is that resigning offers Trump a lot more leeway under the vacancies laws. Being fired ties Trump's hands more.

That, and quitting short circuits any Obstruction claim

• Like 3

MSNBC‏Verified account @MSNBC 2m2 minutes ago

DEVELOPING: Deputy AG Rosenstein summoned to the White House, @PeteWilliamsNBC reports on @MSNBC.

I'll see if I can find the article, it was in lawfare, but just this week it was laid out that presuming RR was fired, the DAG role would go to Francisco Noel. However Noel might have to recuse himself from Russia investigation because his former law firm is caught up in it (as counsel IIRC). So the overight role would go to a guy named Steve Engel in DOJ.

However if this is a resignation all bets are off. I think that would mean Trump could cross-appoint anyone confirmed like say a Mulvaney to step in. Thank goodness Pruitt is gone, I'll say that much.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

1 minute ago, Sheriff Bart said:

ABC reporting he's going to be fired.

1 minute ago, whoknew said:

Looks like maybe the initial report was wrong.

Good.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, toshiba said:

Mueller getting ducks in a row and probably has a standby "file to congress memo" for the day he gets fired :loco:

By the way, Alan is a big drug smuggler.                   

But you can read about that in tomorrow's paper.

Sincerely, I.M. Fletcher.

P.S. Have a nice day.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, squistion said:

DEVELOPING: Deputy AG Rosenstein summoned to the White House, @PeteWilliamsNBC reports on @MSNBC.

Cue John Williams music. Also: Wagner.

1 minute ago, Workhorse said:

Rosenstein is "resigning". Uh oh.

Mixed signals.

Just a reminder we went through this at the VA where the Director said he was fired but the WH claimed he resigned with no support but f it they did it anyway.

• Like 1

The report last week obviously gives the WH cover to fire Rosenstein - which it has wanted to do from the beginning.

That's why it makes me think that the WH - or those friendly to it - had a hand in leaking the report. 

• Like 2

NYT really at times has seemed to be trying to provoke this drama. Congrats Baquet, you got it.

9 minutes ago, squistion said:

Isn't Trump in NYC?

1 minute ago, Mile High said:

Isn't Trump in NYC?

Yes, it appears that John Kelly will handle things in his absence.

NEW: @PeteWilliamsNBC reports that Rosenstein has said if Trump wants him gone, they'll have to fire him, and that Rosenstein will refuse to resign and go quietly.

If Pete Williams reports it about DOJ, it's the truth.

• Like 7

Just now, TobiasFunke said:

NEW: @PeteWilliamsNBC reports that Rosenstein has said if Trump wants him gone, they'll have to fire him, and that Rosenstein will refuse to resign and go quietly.

If Pete Williams reports it about DOJ, it's the truth.

Yep. Williams is pretty much the gold standard on DOJ stuff. This is going to be fascinating.

1 minute ago, timschochet said:
2 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

Rosenstein said he WILL NOT resign and Trump is going to have to fire him.

CNN just said he resigned 

This is an official statement according to CNBC.

12 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I'll see if I can find the article, it was in lawfare, but just this week it was laid out that presuming RR was fired, the DAG role would go to Francisco Noel. However Noel might have to recuse himself from Russia investigation because his former law firm is caught up in it (as counsel IIRC). So the overight role would go to a guy named Steve Engel in DOJ.

Eventually it will fall to an accounting intern named Dave.

I'm not saying this is nothing, but I believe Rosenstein meets with the White House 1 or 2 Mondays each month, and it's been speculated before that several of those meetings were to fire him.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, timschochet said:

CNN just said he resigned 

CNN just tweeted - 

CNN Breaking News  @cnnbrk

10s Deputy Attorney General Rosenstein, the top official overseeing the Mueller probe, is headed to the White House and expects to be fired

--

What a day. And its only 10am ct.

• Like 2

Looks like the NY Times hit piece provided a pretext for this, if he's fired.

If he's fired, a lot is going to happen real fast. Sessions will probably be out, Kavanaugh will likely be pulled, Trump will look for a way to stop ongoing investigations.

6 minutes ago, fatness said:

I'm not saying this is nothing, but I believe Rosenstein meets with the White House 1 or 2 Mondays each month, and it's been speculated before that several of those meetings were to fire him.

I am guessing we can dig up a couple of those references in this thread alone. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fatness said:

If he's fired, a lot is going to happen real fast. Sessions will probably be out, Kavanaugh will likely be pulled, Trump will look for a way to stop ongoing investigations.

Kavanaugh was always Trump's emergency backup plan on this investigation...if he can't get confirmed, no telling what Trump might do. 

2 minutes ago, fatness said:

Trump will look for a way to stop ongoing investigations.

Sooo... like every other infrastructure week?

If Rosenstein is indeed gone, despite GOP cautioning in lead-up to midterms, I'd read that as an indication that Trump has reason to believe that he and/or his family is in imminent legal jeopardy.  Otherwise, this is just outstandingly stupid, especially as the GOP is simultaneously alienating tens of millions of women. 

I can see the conversation now:

Kelly: "You know Rod, if you resign instead of being fired, it will help with your next job search..."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fatness said:

Obviously a planted story and thin pretext at that.  And everyone knows it, including the GOP that told Trump last week to cool his jets.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Kavanaugh was always Trump's emergency backup plan on this investigation...if he can't get confirmed, no telling what Trump might do. 

I think it's possible that over the weekend Senate Republicans told him he needed to pull Kavanaugh's nomination, either because they couldn't get it approved now or for election reasons. This would be the reaction.

2 minutes ago, fatness said:

That wouldn't make a lot of sense.  The acting replacement for both people would come from the same line of succession (assuming Rosenstein is fired, not resigning), and in both cases there would have to be confirmation hearings to get the full time replacement.  Nobody in the GOP wants that to happen before the elections- all of a sudden the fate of the Mueller investigation would become a primary issue and the public is fairly strongly behind the investigation. And until then the acting AG/Deputy AG would have oversight over Mueller and I seriously doubt someone who's been in DOJ through all this is suddenly gonna side with Trump over the agency.

So my guess is Sessions stays on until after the elections no matter what.

• Like 3

Just now, TobiasFunke said:

That wouldn't make a lot of sense.  The acting replacement for both people would come from the same line of succession (assuming Rosenstein is fired, not resigning), and in both cases there would have to be confirmation hearings to get the full time replacement.  Nobody in the GOP wants that to happen before the elections- all of a sudden the fate of the Mueller investigation would become a primary issue and the public is fairly strongly behind the investigation. And until then the acting AG/Deputy AG would have oversight over Mueller and I seriously doubt someone who's been in DOJ through all this is suddenly gonna side with Trump over the agency.

So my guess is Sessions stays on until after the elections no matter what.

I think your assumptions are based on a rational actor...

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Sinn Fein said:

Ronald Reagan was a rational actor.  Donald Trump is an irrational game show host. 

• Like 3

Just now, Sinn Fein said:

This is true. I should have learned my lesson at some point.

But Trump has been pretty clearly signaling that he's gonna fire Sessions after the election.  I don't see any reason to think he'd deviate from that plan. Unless maybe they're getting legitimately worried about losing the Senate which would make it even harder for him to appoint a Mueller-hating sycophant (it would already be virtually impossible).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TobiasFunke said:
8 minutes ago, fatness said:

That wouldn't make a lot of sense.  The acting replacement for both people would come from the same line of succession (assuming Rosenstein is fired, not resigning), and in both cases there would have to be confirmation hearings to get the full time replacement.  Nobody in the GOP wants that to happen before the elections- all of a sudden the fate of the Mueller investigation would become a primary issue and the public is fairly strongly behind the investigation.

I don't think the president is trying to make sense, and I don't think he likes being told no, and I think he's feeling very threatened by the various investigations and plea deals. I don't think his response is rational; it's lashing out to protect himself and his family.

• Like 2

:yes:

Ted Lieu‏ @tedlieu 5m5 minutes ago

Depending on the circumstances of why Rod Rosenstein is being forced out and the intent of @POTUS, this could be another act of Obstruction of Justice by @realDonaldTrump.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, squistion said:

NBC/MSNBC contributor Malcolm Nance on Rosenstein firing/resignation:

Standby for war.

I'm ready to take to the streets.  In NY all week. 

• Like 3

GOP going to have a real test here.  If they lay down, as I suspect they will, they will have fully abandoned any responsibility to check the Executive Branch, and the precedent will hurl us into full-on crisis. 

• Like 1

It's just another manic Monday
I wish it was Sunday
'Cause that's my fun day
My I don't have to run day

• Like 5

Trump knows what's coming with the Manafort plea and he sees this as his only out...although it won't change anything.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, squistion said:

NBC/MSNBC contributor Malcolm Nance on Rosenstein firing/resignation:

Standby for war.

I don't get this. Who is going to war? Sure the Dems will make a lot of noise. But the GOP will do what they always do. 

"This is very concerning."

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Bucky86 said:

Call me crazy but I'm not sure I see a Rosenstein firing as being on the same level as a Mueller firing. It's a total ####show to be sure, but I'd need to see more evidence that the Mueller investigation is seriously threatened before I get out the pitchforks and torches. Not much more, but a little more.  Maybe someone leaking that the SC office was prepping a report to Congress that can now be delayed or blocked just before the Times story came out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I wish it was Sunday
'Cause that's my fun day
My I don't have to run day

You say you want a revolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world
You tell me that it's evolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world

35 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

NYT really at times has seemed to be trying to provoke this drama. Congrats Baquet, you got it.

They did this with the red line comment - they totally led the dim-witted witness with that.