What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn (14 Viewers)

Two questions (sorry if this has been answered) - 

1) How long can Whitaker remain "acting Attorney General"? Doesn't he have to get congressional approval? (This will be a GOP rubber stamp, so I guess it doesn't matter)

2) How long before Whitaker fires Rosenstein?
1. I think until an AG is approved by the Senate.

2. Trump isn’t a very patient person, so it might have already happened. But it will soon.

It’s the first act of war with Trump thinking he knows how to win it vs Mueller who can and will win it. There’s a decent chance we see firings, indictments and a lot of GOP congressmen expressing their concern very soon.

1. I think until an AG is approved by the Senate.

2. Trump isn’t a very patient person, so it might have already happened. But it will soon.

It’s the first act of war with Trump thinking he knows how to win it vs Mueller who can and will win it. There’s a decent chance we see firings, indictments and a lot of GOP congressmen expressing their concern very soon.
I can sense the brows furrowing already.

Sessions is out

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

We are pleased to announce that Matthew G. Whitaker, Chief of Staff to Attorney General Jeff Sessions at the Department of Justice, will become our new Acting Attorney General of the United States. He will serve our Country well....
Alright Lunger, let's do it.....

Renato Mariotti‏Verified account @renato_mariotti

4/ Unless Whitaker is confirmed by the Senate, however, he will not oversee the Mueller investigation. For right now, until/unless Rosenstein is fired, Rosenstein still oversees the Mueller investigation.

I guess this means Rosenstein is next?
What's the law on this?  It seems to me that Rosenstein was only overseeing the investigation as a product of Sessions' recusal, and as soon as he's out of the picture the AG (acting or not) would assume oversight, but I haven't done any research on it. Is there a distinction between acting AG and confirmed AG when it comes to this authority?

avid Walsh  @DavidAstinWalsh

In light of Session’s “resignation,” I want to re-up a point I made back in September. Trump’s play now will be to purge the Justice Department, stonewall congressional investigations, and rely on SCOTUS to protect him.
Have to hope the 'republican' justices he didnt appoint will rule on the law and not partisan lines.....we all know how i like beer guy and gorsuch will rule.....

What's the law on this?  It seems to me that Rosenstein was only overseeing the investigation as a product of Sessions' recusal, and as soon as he's out of the picture the AG (acting or not) would assume oversight, but I haven't done any research on it. Is there a distinction between acting AG and confirmed AG when it comes to this authority?
I posted it because I had the same thought.  I thought that Sessions' departure moots his recusal that put Rosenstein in charge.  

Seems pretty clear Trump is going to try to do what he can before Democrats take over in the house.  I expect whatever moves he plans to make against Mueller to be done in the period before Democrats take control, so the GOP in the house and senate can provide cover for him.

Is Donald simplistic and stupid enough to believe that he can fire his way out of his past indiscretions coming to light? A whole crapload of stuff has been found; it's not gonna stay buried now no matter what he does.

Maybe the idea is to make it come from the media instead of an official Mueller report. That way he can bluster "fake news" and his followers, at least, will buy it.

Ted Lieu‏Verified account @tedlieu

Normally the President would elevate the Deputy AG to Acting AG until a nominee is confirmed. @realDonaldTrump is specifically bypassing Deputy AG Rod Rosenstein and putting supervision of the Mueller probe in the hands of Matthew Whitaker, a person biased against the probe.

I posted it because I had the same thought.  I thought that Sessions' departure moots his recusal that put Rosenstein in charge.  
not sure

there are certain things you can and cannot do depending upon if you have been confirmed

Mueller is not confirmed, but RodR is, so Mueller has to defer to RodR for some things...not sure how it works with an Acting AG who has not been confirmed...

My guess is that there’s a law that was put into place not allowing an unconfirmed AG  to take over an investigation that the previous AG wasn’t in charge of. The reasoning being this exact situation.

Getting Sessions to resign rather than firing him may complicate things.

Not sure why folks think Mueller has this all covered.  He's not his own branch of government.  

We need a functioning government for this stuff to work.  Mueller's investigation is no exception.

Trump is making a power play to cover-up his crimes.  What's the rest of the government going to do about it?  What about the people?

Joe D himself can’t serve, he’s actually representing people under investigation.

But a different USA, yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why folks think Mueller has this all covered.  He's not his own branch of government.  

We need a functioning government for this stuff to work.  Mueller's investigation is no exception.

Trump is making a power play to cover-up his crimes.  What's the rest of the government going to do about it?  What about the people?
Talking about Don Jr further up, that’s precisely the kind of thing he’d have to get permission for.

NBC and Bloomberg now reporting that Rod Rosenstein has been pulled off oversight of Mueller probe.
so who gets it?  Noel Francisco?  New greenhorn?  who?

with Rosenstein signing the FISA and reports of him wanting to surveill the President...probably long overdue

Agreed.  This is very scary.

so who gets it?  Noel Francisco?  New greenhorn?  who?

with Rosenstein signing the FISA and reports of him wanting to surveill the President...probably long overdue
Francisco was supposed to be conflicted out because of his past employment by one of the law firms under investigation but the WH specifically gave him a waiver a short while ago. I’d say he’s in the hopper.

However I think he only falls into play in scenarios where Sessions was fired, not resigned.

We need one house of Congress to not be supplicants to the President.  If he fires Mueller, the AG is required to give a full report of the reasons to the Judiciary Committees of both houses of Congress.  

We need one house of Congress to not be supplicants to the President.  If he fires Mueller, the AG is required to give a full report to the Judiciary Committees of both houses of Congress.  
Is there any doubt he's going to force Mueller to do this (wrap up investigation) before Democrats take power?

Mueller and Rosenstein have been functioning as essentially their own branch of government for two years

Unable to be fired by the executive, ignoring legislative oversight....

Mueller was never confirmed....no Independent Counsel law which has oversight by the three judge panel.....

We have to have hope that Mueller has it covered because legistlative oversight doesn’t start again until January.

Users who are viewing this thread