What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn (7 Viewers)

Mueller and Rosenstein have been functioning as essentially their own branch of government for two years

Unable to be fired by the executive, ignoring legislative oversight....

Mueller was never confirmed....no Independent Counsel law which has oversight by the three judge panel.....
Ignoring legislative oversight?  

I remember quite a few times Rosenstein testified before congress about this investigation.  There was oversight.

What there was not, however, was the ability for congress to meddle in an ongoing investigation into their party's leader.  This seems to confuse people, but that's not ignoring oversight.

Is there any doubt he's going to force Mueller to do this before Democrats take power?
No, no - the AG has to give the report on why he fired Mueller.  After which, the House Judiciary Committee can call Mueller in to testify.
So is there any doubt they're look to do all of this before Democrats take power?

Shut Mueller down, wrap up his investigation immediately, report findings, and be subject to interviews by the GOP that will not get at the truth.  Then declare the case closed, no evidence of wrongdoing, and put it behind them before Dems take control and cry all sorts of foul when Dems attempt to dig it back up?

NBC and Bloomberg now reporting that Rod Rosenstein has been pulled off oversight of Mueller probe.
This is what @The Indestructible were discussing a few minutes ago- this seems like a basic, inevitable consequence of Sessions' resignation and the appointment of a new acting AG, rather than an independent move.  In other words nobody actually did anything re: Rosenstein; he was simply acting as a temporary replacement because the AG had a conflict of interest, and now the AG does not have a conflict of interest. So careful about overreacting here.

Tea Pain‏ @TeaPainUSA

Fox is reportin' that Rod Rosenstein is on the way to the White House. Buckle up.

12:44 PM - 7 Nov 2018

No, no - the AG has to give the report on why he fired Mueller.  After which, the House Judiciary Committee can call Mueller in to testify.
Right but if he does that tomorrow then gives the report to Congress on Friday, can't the GOP cover it up? I guess the Dems could release the memo or re-open the investigation in January?

Right but if he does that tomorrow then gives the report to Congress on Friday, can't the GOP cover it up? I guess the Dems could release the memo or re-open the investigation in January?
Yeah, that memo doesn't get set on fire.  It belongs to the JC. And can be used to begin impeachment of Whitaker, for that matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trump allowed his DOJ to get hijacked by some people who are investigating things where they have clear conflicts of interest that are being glossed over....

the IG report was just the tip of the iceberg, but even with that the entire senior leadership of the FBI have been fired with cause or pushed out...
Care to unpack this?

I thought they were investigating conflicts of interest.

Deputy Attorney General Rosenstein just left DOJ, headed to White House for a previously-scheduled meeting. I asked, “Any response to today’s events?” He flashed a big smile & said simply, “No.” I also ran into some other DOJers who said they hope to see Sessions, to say goodbye.
Interesting behavior for someone about to be fired.

So is there any doubt they're look to do all of this before Democrats take power?

Shut Mueller down, wrap up his investigation immediately, report findings, and be subject to interviews by the GOP that will not get at the truth.  Then declare the case closed, no evidence of wrongdoing, and put it behind them before Dems take control and cry all sorts of foul when Dems attempt to dig it back up?
McConnell started this precedent. Nothing should happen until the new Congress is sworn in. The People have spoken and elections have consequences. I’ve heard that parroted time and time again. Time to pay the piper. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is someone far smarter and far more plugged-in then myself explaining why I'm not overreacting to this development quite yet:

David Priess @DavidPriess

The Bob Mueller that I know will have prepared for this contingency long ago—and, even if he looked up briefly to acknowledge this afternoon’s development, has already put his head back down to keep doing his job.

Rove trying too hard....if only gary johnson had won
Mueller has Rovebot really spooked. But he's fooling himself if he thinks that any malfeasance that Mueller has uncovered is getting swept under a rug. If there's a cover-up and it's discovered (and media will be looking), then Don goes down in '20. It'll be like Nixon only at warp speed because of how fast news moves these days.

I think Sessions is done.   He's 71.  After a career of being a professional politician, he was neutered and humiliated by Trump.  He should write his memoirs, retire and enjoy watching cross burnings Alabama football with his old cronies.
He'd be 73 in 2020... tough to say for sure but I hope he just retires.

If he does, it satisfies a major hope of mine from this administration: end Jeff Sessions' political career.

I think Sessions is done.   He's 71.  After a career of being a professional politician, he was neutered and humiliated by Trump.  He should write his memoirs, retire and enjoy watching cross burnings Alabama football with his old cronies.
Cruz just won.

If Trump and the GOP can't sweep this whole thing under the rug why are they bothering with Sessions/Rosenstein? 

He'd be 73 in 2020... tough to say for sure but I hope he just retires.

If he does, it satisfies a major hope of mine from this administration: end Jeff Sessions' political career.
Ann Coulter just tweeted that Trump should make him head of Homeland Security.   That would warm the old racist's heart.

Ann Coulter just tweeted that Trump should make him head of Homeland Security.   That would warm the old racist's heart.
She was on my local conservative radio today spouting that immigrants are the cause of all our problems while the host swooned over her.

If Trump and the GOP can't sweep this whole thing under the rug why are they bothering with Sessions/Rosenstein? 
Because they think they can sweep the whole thing under the rug. And by ‘they’, I mean Trump. He’s never had to face consequences and isn’t about to start now.

Users who are viewing this thread