Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
whoknew

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn

Trump just said he spoke with Rod today and they are going to meet Thursday in person. So I guess that means his job is safe as Trump has been too big of a coward to fire people face to face in the past. 

1 hour ago, Bucky86 said:

Sources add that administration officials believe Francisco would not need to recuse himself from the matter despite having worked for the law firm Jones Day, which represents the Trump campaign.

There's the flaw in that thinking.

4 minutes ago, Sammy3469 said:

Maggie and Swan seem particularly testy the past couple of days.  One thing I agree with Ren on is that all these reporters are being used the same past week.

The NY Times was certainly used by the administration, in the "anonymous people overhearing" Rosenstein's remarks story, and this morning's story about him resigning.

24 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

@mtracey

As this flurry of pointless Rosenstein melodrama once again demonstrates, there are serious structural problems with how the contemporary political media operates and it should surprise no one that their collective credibility is in the gutter.

To me, it's not a big deal if the media is reporting rumors for a while that might or might not come true.  The most important part is they report the right story at the end of the day.

“The Strategy Was to Try and Do Something Really Big”: Trump Wanted to Nuke Rosenstein to Save Kavanaugh’s Bacon

Over the weekend, as Brett Kavanaugh’s prospects appeared increasingly imperiled, Trump faced two tactical options, both of them fraught. One was to cut Kavanaugh loose. But he was also looking for ways to dramatically shift the news cycle away from his embattled Supreme Court nominee. According to a source briefed on Trump’s thinking, Trump decided that firing Rosenstein would knock Kavanaugh out of the news, potentially saving his nomination and Republicans’ chances for keeping the Senate. “The strategy was to try and do something really big,” the source said. The leak about Rosenstein’s resignation could have been the result, and it certainly had the desired effect of driving Kavanaugh out of the news for a few hours.

In 2018 America, this is how substantive decisions are made.

Edited by fatness
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, fatness said:

that's the problem when you have a reality star as president...he's worried about the ratings of the day and not the long term health, safety or security of the country.  In a normal world you'd have congress as an oversight mechanism but they've become completely spineless cowards.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

To me, it's not a big deal if the media is reporting rumors for a while that might or might not come true.  The most important part is they report the right story at the end of the day.

Even if they make it excessively clear they're reporting a rumor as opposed to verified facts, I'd still prefer an outfit like the NYT not print unsubstantiated rumors at all. The article's author was giving interviews to anyone who would talk to him on Friday, offering up assertions that things happened exactly as he reported them, but didn't provide satisfactory answers to questions that cast the credibility of the assertions made in to doubt. NYT shouldn't be going to press with stuff like that.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

Trump just said he spoke with Rod today and they are going to meet Thursday in person. So I guess that means his job is safe as Trump has been too big of a coward to fire people face to face in the past. 

Did you ever heard of the TV show Apprentice??

2 minutes ago, stlrams said:

:lol:

oh my.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Sheriff Bart said:

I just want to say thanks to @FBG Moderator and the rest of the mods, except @Aaron Rudnicki, for putting all of the trolls on vacation.  This place is so much better. :thumbup:

What's this now?  I missed some backstory here

2 hours ago, Sheriff Bart said:

Rosenstein is meeting with Trump on Thursday and we don't know why!!  /Robin Leach

See why at CY.

42 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:
1 hour ago, ren hoek said:

@mtracey

As this flurry of pointless Rosenstein melodrama once again demonstrates, there are serious structural problems with how the contemporary political media operates and it should surprise no one that their collective credibility is in the gutter.

Trumpites will focus on this episode as fake news, but the bigger wavering issue is the initial editorialization of the report on RR. 

As far as today’s events, the press is constantly put in a ridiculous position with Trump. Nothing he says or does is too absurd, and everything he says and does as president is inherently real news, even the fake news from the WH is real news.

• Like 1

Reddit's Largest Pro-Trump Subreddit Appears To Have Been Targeted By Russian Propaganda For Years

It appears that right-wing news websites funded by Russia’s Internet Research Agency have been aggressively targeting Reddit’s largest pro-Trump subreddit, /r/The_Donald, for over a year.

In a viral thread posted to /r/****TheAltRight last week, a user named DivestTrump laid out a staggering list of suspicious political content coming from a handful of domains. As Facebook and Twitter have become more active this year in tackling fake news, bots, and political bad actors, it has left Reddit as one of the few places where people are freely sharing links online. /r/The_Donald currently has over 600,000 subscribers and still acts as the pro-Trump world’s central hub for memes, talking points, and conspiracy theories.

The bulk of the investigation that was posted to /r/****TheAltRight focused on two suspicious domains: brutalist.press and usareally.com. Both domains were registered in Russia, both sites contain linguistic errors common with other Russia-affiliated sites, and both heavily targeted /r/The_Donald. Based on job listings posted online, brutalist.press appears to have been created in St. Petersburg in 2016. And usareally.com is owned by a member of a civil society institution called the Civic Chamber of the Russian Federation.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Mario Kart said:

Odds on Rosenstein taping the conversation he had with Trump today?

None.  I am guessing they strip search visitors to the White House now.

• Like 2

Just now, Sinn Fein said:

The conversation today was not in person, unless Rosenstein went to New York, from my understanding. 

2 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Probably why the Eagles didn't visit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mario Kart said:

The conversation today was not in person, unless Rosenstein went to New York, from my understanding. 

Yes but Rosenstein still went to the white house to make the call...

16 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Yeah but is there a cavity search? 

1 minute ago, Sheriff Bart said:

Yeah but is there a cavity search? 

Trump:  "We have the best dentists!"

• Like 4

:lol:

I think of stupid #### from time to time - I can picture this happening today:

Mueller:  "Hello, Special Counsel's office"

Rosenstein: "Robert, its me Rod.  Do you think you can have this whole thing wrapped up by Thursday?"

Mueller: "No, I am preparing a thorough investigation, and we are just getting warmed up."

Rosenstein:  "You're going to be fired on Thursday afternoon"

Mueller: "So, we'll have the report delivered to your office Thursday morning then.  Is there anything else?"

Rosenstein: "Yes.  Can I use you as a job reference?" 

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Part of the problem is the reward system in digital news reporting is pretty broken.  The headline gets thousands of retweets, pushes a (sometimes) false narrative, creates a sweeping sense of melodrama, and then the retraction/correction slips in quietly after the fact, without nearly as much fanfare as the story people want to believe.  Then there's the rush to break the story first.  

The incentive to publish the rumor is too disproportionate to the cost of inaccurate reporting, and other than being skeptical until the facts bear out, I don't think there's a real good way to fix that.  

6 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

Part of the problem is the reward system in digital news reporting is pretty broken.  The headline gets thousands of retweets, pushes a (sometimes) false narrative, creates a sweeping sense of melodrama, and then the retraction/correction slips in quietly after the fact, without nearly as much fanfare as the story people want to believe.  Then there's the rush to break the story first.  

The incentive to publish the rumor is too disproportionate to the cost of inaccurate reporting, and other than being skeptical until the facts bear out, I don't think there's a real good way to fix that.  

Do you think there are lots of people out there that think Rosenstein was fired or quit today? If, right now, someone wanted to check on whether one of these things happened today, would it be hard to find the truth?

Edit: My point is this isn't really a big deal.  As a story is breaking, one should be a little skeptical at first until some time passes and the truth (hopefully) comes out.  

Edited by Juxtatarot

2 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Do you think there are lots of people out there that think Rosenstein was fired or quit today? If, right now, someone wanted to check on whether one of these things happened today, would it be hard to find the truth?

Depends on what time of the day they want to check.  

https://twitter.com/colincampbell/status/1044272241741979652

WASHINGTON—In a shocking development revealed just moments ago, sources confirmed that—oh, wait, sorry, false alarm. Multiple reports confirmed that, despite late-breaking suggestions to the contrary, you can actually forget about this news item and return to whatever you were doing before seeing this. In fact, sources have now informed reporters that we kind of jumped the gun on publishing this article at all, let alone labeling it “breaking” news. Frankly, sources concluded, this was our bad for getting you all worked up over nothing. Although, hold on one second, because several reports are now suggesting that it might still be worth keeping an eye on this story to see if—no, hold on, on second thought, just forget we said anything.

Edited by ren hoek
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sheriff Bart said:

I just want to say thanks to @FBG Moderator and the rest of the mods, except @Aaron Rudnicki, for putting all of the trolls on vacation.  This place is so much better. :thumbup:

Aaron seems like a good egg, what did he do (or didn't do)?

Isn't this just like when he "ordered" the White House lawyer to fire Mueller last year, and the guy refused, so Trump backed off?

Sounds like this morning was just a big "chicken" game, and Trump was hoping Rosenstein would resign.  When he didn't, Trump backed off. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

WASHINGTON—In a shocking development revealed just moments ago, sources confirmed that—oh, wait, sorry, false alarm. Multiple reports confirmed that, despite late-breaking suggestions to the contrary, you can actually forget about this news item and return to whatever you were doing before seeing this. In fact, sources have now informed reporters that we kind of jumped the gun on publishing this article at all, let alone labeling it “breaking” news. Frankly, sources concluded, this was our bad for getting you all worked up over nothing. Although, hold on one second, because several reports are now suggesting that it might still be worth keeping an eye on this story to see if—no, hold on, on second thought, just forget we said anything.

Uh hu.  It’s the media that’s unstable.  Not the President.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, msommer said:

Aaron seems like a good egg, what did he do (or didn't do)?

I'm assuming it's his backward hat.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, ren hoek said:

You're critical of the Onion?

1 minute ago, JIslander said:

Rosenstein aint going anywhere.  Trump got his orders of "no firing" from Hannity on State Fox News.

Its a shame the Talking Heads on FoxNews have no voter accountability...

5 hours ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

no one is taking to the streets.....who has time for that?

I make time to burn #### down

• Like 2

2 hours ago, timschochet said:

Sounds like this morning was just a big "chicken" game, and Trump was hoping Rosenstein would resign.  When he didn't, Trump backed off. 

And it sounds like Thursday's meeting between Trump and Rosenstein is scheduled to take people's minds off the Ford and Kavanaugh hearing.

It's all theater.

• Like 1

If you want to get into speculation about specific reasons Trump wants Rosenstein gone almost immediately, read this Rawstory blurb and for a more detailed look this Alternet article.

The speculation is that the reason Rosenstein has to go immediately is because he he signed an order expanding the scope Mueller's investigation to include crimes for which Paul Manafort was convicted, which include working with Russia to influence the 2016 elections. The order is here, with lots of it redacted. Trump wants that order thrown out, since it threatens him personally, and wants a compliant Assistant AG in place to rescind it. Then, the thinking is, no further investigation of Trump's business dealings with foreign entities will be allowed.

I may have explained it poorly and as I said, it's speculation. But Trump's recent behavior makes it clear he feels extremely threatened and wants to stop things now.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, fatness said:

If you want to get into speculation about specific reasons Trump wants Rosenstein gone almost immediately, read this Rawstory blurb and for a more detailed look this Alternet article.

The speculation is that the reason Rosenstein has to go immediately is because he he signed an order expanding the scope Mueller's investigation to include crimes for which Paul Manafort was convicted, which include working with Russia to influence the 2016 elections. The order is here, with lots of it redacted. Trump wants that order thrown out, since it threatens him personally, and wants a compliant Assistant AG in place to rescind it. Then, the thinking is, no further investigation of Trump's business dealings with foreign entities will be allowed.

I may have explained it poorly and as I said, it's speculation. But Trump's recent behavior makes it clear he feels extremely threatened and wants to stop things now.

I’d agree with this but that order has been out a while. With Manafort’s cooperation they might be concerned about another expansion of the authority or they might be concerned that RR will grant Mueller subpoenas or other warrants based on new evidence PM offers. A new DAG wouldn’t have to fire Mueller but he could severely limit what Mueller can do.

The special counsel asked the publicist who arranged the 2016 Trump tower meeting about the president’s ties to a billionaire Russian-Azerbaijani family

tweet

article

In the book, set to be released Tuesday, Mr. Goldstone describes his testimony before Mr. Mueller’s team and the grand jury.

In their meeting with Mr. Goldstone, investigators asked about the relationship between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Aras Agalarov, whose real-estate company has won several state contracts in Russia, and to whom Mr. Putin in 2013 awarded the Order of Honor of the Russian Federation, a high-profile civilian prize.

A list of questions Mr. Mueller wants to ask the president that he provided to Mr. Trump’s legal team this year includes one about Mr. Trump’s communication and relationships with Russian government officials and the Agalarov family during the 2013 trip to Moscow.

6 hours ago, stlrams said:
7 hours ago, Sheriff Bart said:

Who knew Studs and Duds had an alias?

• Like 3

Michael Schmidt seems to be mainlining some senior WH source at this point. Preposterousness is no bar to what he's shoving out. 

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

20 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Michael Schmidt seems to be mainlining some senior WH source at this point. Preposterousness is no bar to what he's shoving out. 

Yeah. The NY Times used to just sit on stories unfavorable to Trump. Now they're in active mouthpiece mode. It's a shame to see, they do a lot of good reporting. But maintaining their "access" comes with a price, and they're paying it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fatness said:

Breaking: Rod Rosenstein has calendars from his mother that do not show him resigning.

stolen from elsewhere.

It was actually someone who looks like him that resigned.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I mean could you expect them to learn anything from the past 3 years?  

11 hours ago, honky kong said:

Who knew Studs and Duds had an alias?

Yeah an alias created 13 years.  I was just sitting on this one until the right moment...  :no:  Nice try..

7 hours ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

It was actually someone who looks like him that resigned.

I've been doing a lot of work on Zillow, and I think I have it figured out...

• Like 3