What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn (11 Viewers)

Care to unpack this?

I thought they were investigating conflicts of interest.
for starters Rosenstein was a participant in the firing of Comey. Some of the questions Mueller sent to Trump concerned the firing of Comey.  There is no logical way the Rosensten can ethically be in running an investigation into something that he participated in. 

"I'm 100% behind Jeff Sessions. If Jeff Sessions is fired, there will be holy hell to pay." -- Sen. Lindsey Graham, July 2017.
Jeff Sessions served our nation well and honorably as Attorney General. He has dedicated his whole life to conservatism and upholding the Rule of Law.

I look forward to working with President @realDonaldTrump to find a confirmable, worthy successor so that we can start a new chapter at the Department of Justice and deal with both the opportunities and challenges our nation faces.

-- Sen. Lindsey Graham, November 2018.

The day after midterms...

Oh man is Trump in a heap of trouble.

REEKS of desperation.
meh - this has been telegraphed for weeks.  I don't really see anything unusual here.

Trump wanted Sessions gone months ago, and was convinced by GOPers - McConnell - to wait for the midterms.  Trump waited as long as he was going to wait.  I am sure he sent Session a text demanding the resignation as soon as polls closed...

meh - this has been telegraphed for weeks.  I don't really see anything unusual here.

Trump wanted Sessions gone months ago, and was convinced by GOPers - McConnell - to wait for the midterms.  Trump waited as long as he was going to wait.  I am sure he sent Session a text demanding the resignation as soon as polls closed...
The resignation letter was undated.   Trump's had it sitting in his desk for weeks.   

Not sure why folks think Mueller has this all covered.  He's not his own branch of government.  

We need a functioning government for this stuff to work.  Mueller's investigation is no exception.

Trump is making a power play to cover-up his crimes.  What's the rest of the government going to do about it?  What about the people?
Considering the handful of GOP congressmen who actually have a semblance of a backbone against Trump got slaughtered last night, and the hardcore Trumpers won out (on the GOP side), I'm pretty sure the rest of the government won't do anything.

This is nonsense.  Rosenstein's role was always a function of his ranking at DOJ and Session's recusal. The only thing that has changed is that a higher-ranking official hasn't (yet) been forced to recuse due to conflict of interest.  If he does (and based on this Clovis stuff, that seems possible) then Rosenstein would be back in charge. Either way I don't see any reason whatsoever for him to "resign in protest."  What does that even mean? 

For someone who is supposed to be innocent, Trump is sure looking desperate in his attempts at stopping Muller from revealing the truth.  It's hilarious to watch the cover up.

"Resigning in protest" is something that only works in a normal world, when there are checks and balances involved that could support you. It doesn't work in Trump's world.
Seriously.

If Rosenstein resigns, Trump is giving a double fist pump - thinking: two turds with one stone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Trump and his bootlickers in congress absolutely believe that they can fire and cover up their way out of anything from Don's past.

I clicked the link.  Abramson's theory seems to think this is all about ducking Don Jr's supposedly pending indictment.  If Don Jr is about to get indicted, that train has left the station. Not even the GOP Senate would stand by while a prepared indictment naming the President's son is buried by the Department of Justice (some members of whom would immediately leak if it they tried). 

Everyone needs to take a deep breath, enjoy the fact that the Dems won like 35 seats in the House yesterday and that the adjusted vote totals from house elections would give them a clear electoral college edge), and give this a day or so to play out before we start signaling the fall of the Republic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whaddaya know: Mark Whitaker, now in charge of the Mueller investigation, chaired the 2014 campaign of Sam Clovis, a grand jury witness in that investigation.
Doesn’t matter unless he’s gonna do the ethical thing and recuse himself. Trump already made the mistake of assuming Sessions would be that person, I doubt he’ll appoint someone without a guarantee that he’ll protect him.

Doesn’t matter unless he’s gonna do the ethical thing and recuse himself. Trump already made the mistake of assuming Sessions would be that person, I doubt he’ll appoint someone without a guarantee that he’ll protect him.
Yes, I'm sure this time Trump thought things through completely.

Whaddaya know: Mark Whitaker, now in charge of the Mueller investigation, chaired the 2014 campaign of Sam Clovis, a grand jury witness in that investigation.
Comey and Mueller had a close working relationship, but that didn’t seem to bother you guys....

Why would Sessions resign?  I could understand if he did something wrong and it would be a way to save face for future employment. I don't understand why he wouldn't make Trump fire him because he did his job somewhat correctly. 

TIA

Why would Sessions resign?  I could understand if he did something wrong and it would be a way to save face for future employment. I don't understand why he wouldn't make Trump fire him because he did his job somewhat correctly. 

TIA
That's why he wrote his "resignation" the way he did

TIA
Cabinet members always resign even if they are really fired.  They are told to resign by the President and do so.  

TIA
Sessions is loyal to a fault.  This is the "honorable" way to step down - and I think, but don't know, there might be advantages to who Trump can appoint to replace someone who resigns, versus someone who is fired.

I also think that it is commonplace for cabinet members to offer a resignation letter whenever the President wants to go in a different direction.  I honestly, don't see this as any different.

I also think that it is commonplace for cabinet members to offer a resignation letter whenever the President wants to go in a different direction.  I honestly, don't see this as any different.
Yeah.  Totally normal situation between Trump and Sessions.  No unusual circumstances here.

I'd agree with you with most presidents in most situations.  In this one, there's a huge difference between normal "serving at the pleasure of the president" and "not doing enough to protect the president from an investigation in your department into him and his family and campaign".

Users who are viewing this thread