What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 Raiders - how's the 2018 draft looking? (1 Viewer)

Hankmoody

Footballguy
The Autumn Wind is a pirate
Blustering in from sea,
With a rollicking song, he sweeps along,
Swaggering boisterously.

His face is weather beaten.
He wears a hooded sash,
With a silver hat about his head,
And a bristling black mustache.

He growls as he storms the country,
A villain big and bold.
And the trees all shake and quiver and quake,
As he robs them of their gold.

The Autumn Wind is a raider,
Pillaging just for fun.
He'll knock you 'round and upside down,
And laugh when he's conquered and won.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kickoff for the real game now begins for Mark Davis, Raiders

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/nfl-vegas/kickoff-the-real-game-now-begins-mark-davis-raiders

HOUSTON — It was one hour prior to kickoff for the Oakland Raiders’ most consequential game in more than 14 years. The owner was crying. Tears of rejoice they were not.

Mark Davis is managing general partner of one of the NFL’s most iconic, if notoriously litigious, franchises. Nervous as a cat sitting in a room full of rocking chairs, Davis amiably greeted well-wishers Saturday afternoon inside NRG Stadium. He was dressed modestly in a black velvet sport coat, dusty-gray jeans, white cap and tennis shoes. It would not turn out to be a good day for haute couture or stout men dressed in silver and black.

The 61-year-old owner tried to maintain his pregame composure, but his crystal-blue eyes betrayed him; they welled like the rising salty Pacific Ocean surf. The Raiders, indeed, were back in the playoffs for the first time since 2002, but Davis’ emotions emanated from a source deep in his being.

“He would be happy we are in the playoffs,’’ Davis told me of his late father, Al Davis, the Original Raider. “I am carrying the torch for my father.’’

But can you imagine Al Davis crying … right before kickoff?

In many ways, Mark Davis is nothing like his father. That alone should thrill his Brooks Brothers-wearing ownership brethren. But no (seemingly) strait-laced, conservative owner should underestimate Davis because of his perceived lack of gravitas and billions, quirkiness or ’60s-era sensibilities. He is smarter than many believe. And this: “He has bulldog in him,’’ Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie said prior to kickoff. “He knows what he wants, and he goes after it.’’

Sound familiar?

Al Davis, the rebel without a pause, died Oct. 8, 2011, at age 82 — the day before his beloved Raiders played a regular-season game at Houston. Davis had made few road trips that season but always admonished key team officials to “make sure nobody sits in my seat’’ during flights. Mark and his mother, Carol, were in Houston when the phone rang in Mark’s bedroom. Al was dead.

The Davis’ only child flew home that Saturday with his mother. They were greeted and consoled at the airport by former Raiders coach John Madden and his wife. By Sunday morning, Davis was back in Houston for the Raiders-Texans game.

“It was a pretty emotional situation,’’ Davis recalled. “On the last play of the game, we only had 10 players on the field.’’

Oakland safety Michael Huff intercepted a pass in the Raiders’ end zone to preserve a heart-melting 25-20 triumph. “Everyone said Al was the 11th man,’’ Davis said. “It still brings tears to my eyes. Thanks for making me cry.’’

Davis was nowhere to be seen after his team’s desultory, injury-wracked 27-14 defeat Saturday, assuredly inducing more heartache for the owner. But a more critical game, one that directly impacts three major cities in California plus Las Vegas, looms in the offseason.

A day earlier, while noshing on a pepperoni pizza — extra crispy, please — Davis told the Review-Journal, “We could apply (for relocation on Monday), if we were ready to.’’ The Raiders clearly are not ready for that important step in the process.

Instead, Davis will convene with select owners Wednesday in New York during a joint meeting of the league’s important finance and stadium committees. Owners will be given updates regarding financing and stadium issues confronting Oakland, Los Angeles and San Diego. The Chargers are faced with a “soft” Jan. 15 deadline to announce whether they will move to Los Angeles.

This is not about ego for Mark Davis. Nor trying to escape the long shadow cast by his iconic, renegade father. This is about finances — and, for Davis, the Raiders’ legacy, and what he can do to preserve it.

“While my dad was alive, I was really happy to (try to) get a stadium built’’ anywhere, including Oakland. “The one thing the Raiders never had was our own stadium.’’ Then again, Al never wanted one. In his never-ending gambit of leveraging, it was always, “What are you going to give the Raiders?’’

Now, 38 years after first leaving Oakland, Davis envisions a redux of the early days of the franchise.

“I saw it as an 8-year-old boy. Little Oakland had nothing — San Francisco had everything,’’ Davis said. “You can see the same thing here in Las Vegas … if we do it right. It’s a lot of work. But we can find 40,000 (season-ticket holders) that will love the Raiders.

“I want to instill pride. Who else are Las Vegans going to root for — the Bellagio? People (in the community) need to bond.’’

In all likelihood, Oakland no longer is a viable option. It was too little, too late, by the fumbling Bay Area politicos. But Davis must still demonstrate to the satisfaction of enough owners (24, or 75 percent) that Las Vegas is an economically viable solution as the nation’s 40th largest market. If they reject his Las Vegas game plan, that does not mean Davis could not roll the dice and try to move the Raiders to the oasis in the desert anyway.

Sound familiar?

The Raiders’ once-promising season ended Saturday, a tumbleweed of disappointment blowing down a Texas highway. Kickoff for the real game — the one of finances, the one NFL owners care most about — is about to commence for the man who wants to honor his father’s memory.

Just negotiate, baby.

(C) Mass Raider from 2016 thread:

We saw exactly how important Carr was to the team, and saw that we have holes to fill on defense.  I didn't really care about the outcome,  No Carr, no Penn, Crabtree and Hudson getting banged up, at one point, I was just watching the clock roll, and rooting for it.  

Might seem a little weird, but it's the way I felt.  'OK, we are done for the year, let's wrap it up, and get to the offseason'.  

I haven't looked at the draft, which is a nice feeling you get when you have a good team.  But I have been paying attention to the free agency cap stuff, because I am a geek for that stuff for some odd reason.  

Link to our 2017 salaries The important columns are the last 3.  2017 cap number, 'dead' money if we cut them, and net cap savings if we cut player.  When you see a zero under dead money, that's either a young guy with a teeny contract and no guarantees, or a McKenzie Special.  Guys like Aldon, Dan Williams, Reggie Nelson, and Lee Smith.  Free agents that are essentially year to year, and can be cut for the sake of salary cap purposes at any time. I stress any time, because it's a little bit of a luxury if you think about the timing of free agency and the draft. We can cut Reggie Nelson or Dan Williams for cap space in March, but we don't have to.  Some teams have to make cuts by a certain time in March, or a bonus kicks in. We can hang onto Nelson, and let's say a top free safety prospect lands in out  laps in the 2nd round?  Reggie can wait and see how training camp goes, and make a decision in August.   

Pending Free Agents

DJ Hayden--I dunno how the Raiders think about him, for all I know they are willing to let him walk, or like him as a nickel guy but not much more.  He's had some nice moments as a nickel, but many more as a liability.  My guess is they will let him test FA, and might be willing to bring him back for a bargain contract.  Only because of the position he plays.  If he was any other position, ANY other, I would say that he's gone.  

Latavius Murray--I don't want him back.  Like, really don't want him back.  His vision and instincts are below average.  He has this weird habit of turning his back when fighting for yardage, and someone is gonna crack his vertebreae one of these days.  The RB position is better with a platoon of the Dwarf Twins, I don't think he does anything better than either of them now.  I doubt he gets a big deal from anyone really, but definitely not from a team that has to re-sign Carr/Mack/Coop in the next few years.  I'd be shocked if he returns.

Malcolm Smith--Has been a fine, cheap starter, a nice bargain bin find for Reggie.  I kind of hope he comes back for at least another year, we have nothing but questions at LB, and another year might give us a bit more clarity about James/Ball/Heeney/Riley.  Toss up, tho.  He might get a little more money elsewhere, or re-sign right away.  

Menelik Watson--I think he's worth more to us than someone else.  Other teams haven't seen enough to know if they can count on him, the Raiders at least have had him in practice when he was healthy.  I am hoping the team locks him up for a team-friendly deal, getting a right tackle for a song because of his injury history.  

Matt McGloin--I think he returns.  Who likes him more than us?  Who knows him better?  Bill O'Brien gonna bring him in to compete with Oz and Savage?  Nah.  

Mychal Rivera--Weird rumors he was gone last spring, he's a FA, and we have Lee Smith and Gabe Holmes coming back (Holmes is Exclusive-rights FA, he's not going anywhere).  Rivera is off to his next stop.  

Andre Holmes--4th string outside WR, who actually had a nice year on special teams.  Not a bad last WR, but made 2 mill last year.  I assume he wants a raise.  I would guess he moves on.  

Stacey McGee--I think he could return on a short term deal, trying to raise his value, especially because I think Dan could be moved out.  Had a few nice moments.  I could see a 2017 DT rotation of McGee/Latham/Jelly/Mario.  Hoping they re-sign him.  I could also potentially see a team make a speculative grab for him with a medium-big deal (4 mill a year-ish).  I say that because a LOT of teams have cap space, and there isn't enough good players to spend the money on.  Some people are going to get overpaid.  M. Smith could as well, come to think of it.  

Perry Riley--I think the Raiders give him a nice guarantee of a few mill, and give him a 2 or three year deal.  I'd be surprised if he doesn't stay, for a nice raise, but nothing crazy.  

Brynden Trawick/Darren Bates--Two special teams demons, your guess is as good as mine if they are re-signed.  Feel like I saw Bates around the ball more, but I can't say with any conviction that I know the kind of year either guy had.  

Nate Allen--Cheap backup veteran safety.  I'm fine with keeping him, but he may have to wait until after the draft to see how the roster shakes out.  He's in that 2nd wave of free agency, I bet.  

(C) Mass Raider from 2016 thread:

Article from 4 Weeks ago; surprised by Sean Smith, I was really down on him. On the slant to Hopkins it seemed like he was expecting inside help and not happy with defensive call. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-10-best-free-agent-signings-this-season/

2. Kelechi Osemele, G, Oakland Raiders

Osemele has done as much as a guard feasibly can do to live up to a $10+ million a year deal this season. He’s currently Pro Football Focus’ second-highest-graded guard and has only allowed seven total pressures all season long, with no sacks. At only 27 years old and locked up for four more seasons after this one, the Raiders would make this deal again in a heartbeat.

7. Sean Smith, CB, Oakland Raiders

Smith took some considerable lumps early in the season, and at one point, was even benched. Since then, however, few corners in the NFL have been better. Over the first two weeks of the season, he surrendered 250 yards and three touchdowns. In the 11 games since, he’s yielded only 346 yards and one touchdown. The Raiders still have some issues defensively, but they haven’t been because of Smith.

Also, Smith was low on penalties with only 3.  

http://www.nflpenalties.com/team/oakland-raiders?year=2016&view=players

Really lost interest in the playoffs after the Raider loss. Not sure I will watch the NFL again this season until the SB. 

Really lost interest in the playoffs after the Raider loss. Not sure I will watch the NFL again this season until the SB. 
I get that.  I'm interested in falcons only bc a friend of mine is a fan.  Otherwise it's the same old teams.  

Really hating all of the AFC teams. Either the Chiefs, Steelers or Pats are going to be in the super bowl. Definitely rooting for the NFC this year. Don't want to see any of those other turds hold the trophy...

Really hating all of the AFC teams. Either the Chiefs, Steelers or Pats are going to be in the super bowl. Definitely rooting for the NFC this year. Don't want to see any of those other turds hold the trophy...
Definitely understand!  I'm rooting for Atlanta. The Boys are my second choice due to the two rooks. 

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/oakland-raiders/

$51 Million in Cap space. Hard to focus on on potential free agents right now, no telling who will be available, but we need somebody that can give some inside push. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ Comprehensive and sortable list of free agents. Wouldn't mind if we took a run at Eric Berry. 
I thought Reggie mentioned getting Carr and Mack under long term contracts this off season. If so, how much cap space are their contracts going to eat up?

Hard for me to see them making a run at Berry. They have Karl and Nelson, who received some all-pro mention. I could see them drafting to strengthen the middle of the defense (DT & MLB), but an impact pass rusher would be sweet. It would take some attention off Mack. I would like to see them take a offensive tackle they could develop. Penn is getting long in the tooth. And it never hurts to get more play makers at the skill positions.

Hello, 2017 thread!

seems our draft needs look amazingly familiar to last year:

Linebackers

DBs

Oline

And I'm rooting for the falcons since they've never won it all before. And a big eff you to the Pats and Chiefs. Never want to see them win the super bowl again.

Hello, 2017 thread!

seems our draft needs look amazingly familiar to last year:

Linebackers

DBs

Oline

And I'm rooting for the falcons since they've never won it all before. And a big eff you to the Pats and Chiefs. Never want to see them win the super bowl again.
Agree, with the pleasant surprise being "depth" at DB and OL.  Our starters (aside from maybe Nelson) have been pretty impressive.  It's when those guys got nicked up we got totally exposed.  Howard wasn't the answer and no one handled LT with Penn out - what happened to Osemele?  I thought we paid him $10M to be able to handle that duty?  Maybe we didn't like our replacement option at LG?

We need athletes at LB.  Riley and Smith are both nice finds cheap and are quite functional, but they aren't impact players.  We need a Kwon Alexander type late pick - I like Hardy Nickerson as a candidate.  Too early to know where other guys will rank out, but Ryan Anderson man that guy is everywhere.  Jarrad Davis and Jalen Reeves-Maybin would be good options if we can get them in the right spot.

We also need pass rushers.  Mack carries too much on his shoulders and he doesn't get enough support.  Maybe Smith ends up coming back but we can't count on that at this point.  I was thinking Irvin would have more impact here but I think he's more effective in situational rushing and other roles with his all around play.

I thought Reggie mentioned getting Carr and Mack under long term contracts this off season. If so, how much cap space are their contracts going to eat up?
Both are signed for 2017 and they count $7.6 Million combined against the cap next year.

For 2018, I'd assume $23-25 Million for Carr and $18-19 Mill for Mack, so lets say $44 mil combined. Our cap space for 2018 is $88 Million. I guess a free agent frenzy isn't realistic with the free agents we have coming up. 

SDJohnny said:
Both are signed for 2017 and they count $7.6 Million combined against the cap next year.

For 2018, I'd assume $23-25 Million for Carr and $18-19 Mill for Mack, so lets say $44 mil combined. Our cap space for 2018 is $88 Million. I guess a free agent frenzy isn't realistic with the free agents we have coming up. 

I could be mistaken but I seem to recall Reggie saying he wanted to get those contracts done sooner than later. It might make sense because the players may "settle" for less money to resign at a higher rate than their current contracts. The Raiders would then take less of a hit each year. For example, Carr is expected to make under 2 Mil next year. Say the Raiders offered him a contract for $18 Mil. His incentive to sign is that he would be getting 16 Mil a year earlier and over the long haul the net would be the same. Am I nuts?

SDJohnny said:

If they sign them now, they will only do so on a moderate discount, especially Carr.  He's only due $900k next year.   So our projected is $900k + $20M (2018 Franchise Tag) + $22M (2019 FT) for $45M for three years.  If we offer him $40M for those same years with say $20M today and guarantee another $40M in future salaries, that's a great deal for him.  Add on three more years at a premium price to make it competitive long term, but we can probably count on a cap number for him of under $15M for the first few years.  Type it up as a $10M signing bonus, a $9M roster bonus in March, and a salaries of $1M, $10M, $10M - he gets $20M by March, and we get bargain cap numbers of $12M for the next three years.  Basically, instead of the super-cheap 2017, we get three reduced years and Carr gets more money in his pocket.  Win/win.  Obviously it would be a longer deal with a lot more money on the back end, but by then the cap will rise and we'll deal with that then.

Similar concept with Mack although much less leverage for the team.  Mack's 2017 number is only about $3M but his 5th year option in 2018 would be around $13M (based on Ziggy Ansah's option that Detroit exercised) so it could end up pretty easily averaging about the same as Carr's.  Same concept - we offer a bit more up front guaranteed, we get a bit of a discount on the yearly average.

Another factor is that team can easily back-load the cap hit if they want.  It hasn't been Reggie's strategy up until now, and with as much cap space as we have it might make sense not to, but take Von MIller and Russell Wilson as examples.  If Reggie wanted to, he could sign both Carr and Mack right now with maybe a $5M cap hit on each. 

???

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000772568/article/raiders-oc-bill-musgrave-not-expected-to-return

The Oakland Raiders are soon to be in need of a new offensive coordinator.

Bill Musgrave is not expected to return to the team in 2017 as their OC, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per sources.

Musgrave's two-year contract was set to expire following the conclusion of the season and the Raiders are expected to let it expire. Rapoport adds quarterbacks coach Todd Downing is an in-house candidate for the job. 

Around the NFL will have more on this story shortly

Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez  1h1 hour ago
Raiders have fired defensive backs coach Marcus Robertson Source tells Sporting News

CSNAuthentic ‏@CSNAuthentic  54m54 minutes ago
BREAKING: Reports: Musgrave out, Downing in as #Raiders offensive coordinator http://www.csnbayarea.com/raiders/reports-musgrave-out-downing-raiders-offensive-coordinator … #NFLPlayoffs

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer  28m28 minutes ago
As for Bill Musgrave, the Raiders didn't fire him. His deal was up. And it was time to make a choice, and they chose Downing. That simple.

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur  4m4 minutes ago
Downing was a “hot” coach and had been contacted about “4 or 5 jobs” around the league.  #Raiders had to make a choice

Levi Damien ‏@LeviDamien  31m31 minutes ago
#Raiders coaching decisions tracker:
Retain Ken Norton - Yes
Re-sign Bill Musgrave - No
Hold onto Todd Downing - Yes
Re-sign Mike Tice - ??

Wow! Hate to see Musgrave go. Hopefully Downing keeps the offense rolling. Tice is a key coach to retain IMO. He has done a great job developing lines where ever he has been.

Wow! Hate to see Musgrave go. Hopefully Downing keeps the offense rolling. Tice is a key coach to retain IMO. He has done a great job developing lines where ever he has been.
Seems like they had to promote Downing or lose him. It still provides continuity for Carr and the offense. 

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl  19m19 minutes ago
On QBs coach Todd Downing, coaches were told within last hour or so that he was being promoted to OC.

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl  18m18 minutes ago
Thoughts on Musgrave out: He did a solid job. JDR wants more out of the offensive personnel, especially RBs. More creativity.

so we go from looking at Wade Phillips to retaining Norton Jr. in 30 minutes?

what a let down.

I do think that Norton does need some more talent on his side of the ball before he can be held "responsible" for it performing well enough or not.

I mean, there were times in the mid-season when it was really coming together. Get a PLAYMAKING LB, improve DBs a bit more, and get a real threat up the middle, then he has the horses to ride us towards the top of the league.

Jim Trotter ‏@JimTrotter_NFL  22m22 minutes ago
Said one source: "The league views SD as salvageable. Oakland is not." Hence, tomorrow's meeting to clear a path for Raiders to Vegas.

I'm not going to second guess the coaching and staffing changes that playout this off-season.   If the front office and JDR feel good about making the move to allow Musgrave to walk in order to keep Downing then I trust it is the right decision for the 2017 season and beyond.

In Reggie I Trust.

Not too worried about letting Musgrave walk. Judging by all the sideline conversations I witnessed between Carr and Downing, it seems like they have a strong working relationship. Norton on the other hand, I wouldn't have batted an eye if the team decided to go in a different direction. I'm a strong believer in continuity so I guess in the name of stability giving Norton a little more time with (hopefully) some more talent to work with isn't a horrible thing. 

Let down that we aren't getting Wade, that's a huge upgrade over Norton, who, while he's a player's coach, didn't aggressively or successively make the kinds of adjustments (for game plans and in-game) that you need to see. We don't want to sacrifice  

While I think we kept the wrong guy between Downing and Musgrave (Musgrave much more proven) that may not have been so much a choice.

Looking back, the way the season ended was lackluster given what could have been had Carr stayed healthy. But can't deny that a 12 win season, playoffs, and narrowly missing the divsion title was way beyond expectation.

Looking forward, I hope we build on our great draft last year, and fill in holes (notably in LB and CB), get our franchise players under the right kinds of deals that secure their services for the longer run, repeat our approach in FA with a hit or two along the way. Biggest key is not top backsllde. We need to own the division next year.

Future is bright, boys,

Not too worried about letting Musgrave walk. Judging by all the sideline conversations I witnessed between Carr and Downing, it seems like they have a strong working relationship. Norton on the other hand, I wouldn't have batted an eye if the team decided to go in a different direction. I'm a strong believer in continuity so I guess in the name of stability giving Norton a little more time with (hopefully) some more talent to work with isn't a horrible thing. 
I agree I guess. Norton disappoints but if we let him go I don't have answer for the next obvious question. Who is his replacement?

As great as this season was, I'm still mildly optimistic about 2017. We had 7 comeback victories and those are wins that could easily be losses. We could very easily be the Cardinals/Panthers next year.

That's what sucked about the Carr injury, we'll never see what this team could have done in the playoffs.

As great as this season was, I'm still mildly optimistic about 2017. We had 7 comeback victories and those are wins that could easily be losses. We could very easily be the Cardinals/Panthers next year.

That's what sucked about the Carr injury, we'll never see what this team could have done in the playoffs.
The Raiders took a nice step forward in 16. The difference between a win and a loss is small for many teams in today's NFL. The Raiders were not in the upper tier of teams but are knocking on that door. The O is really, really close to being scary. The raiders have sone obvious flaws (defense!) and if those are addressed over the next 6 months, we will be very optimistic for the 2017 season.  

After watching that AFC football this weekend, I feel even better about the Raiders in 2017.  I am sticking with my old argument that  the AFC is weak.  Had Carr not been taken out of the equation, the Raiders truly stood a good chance of beating any of those teams this weekend.  Pittsburgh has a great O on paper but something is off.  KC is good but relying on points from the D and special teams is not sustainable.  Houston has a terrible QB and not great O.  NE looked great in the second-half against a Texans team that had no business being in the playoffs. 

This is not about what could-have-been though.  This is about what could-be.  I hope the Raiders got a taste of winning in 2016 and are on a mission this year.  

Interesting read on needs -- nothing shocking (other than lack of specific focus on LBs, which I believe should be a primary focus after the secondary, and potentially shoring up right side of Oline), but interesting read about how weaknesses manifested thanks to injury, lack of development/next step for some players (Autry, Jelly, Latham and Ward, for example), and how to potentially focus cap money, which we will have less of this year.

https://raidersanalysis.wordpress.com/2017/01/16/raiders-realistically-addressing-weaknesses/

Seems to me this upcoming draft is favorable for addressing needs, seeing as there seems to be good depth of DBs, TEs, and D linemen. 

Interesting read on needs -- nothing shocking (other than lack of specific focus on LBs, which I believe should be a primary focus after the secondary, and potentially shoring up right side of Oline), but interesting read about how weaknesses manifested thanks to injury, lack of development/next step for some players (Autry, Jelly, Latham and Ward, for example), and how to potentially focus cap money, which we will have less of this year.

https://raidersanalysis.wordpress.com/2017/01/16/raiders-realistically-addressing-weaknesses/

Seems to me this upcoming draft is favorable for addressing needs, seeing as there seems to be good depth of DBs, TEs, and D linemen. 
Also pretty deep at middle linebacker as well.

Also pretty deep at middle linebacker as well.
So who are we looking for at the 24th spot?

Jarrad Davis, ILB Florida? I like Raekwon McMillan form Ohio State but don't think he'll last. Zach Cunningham from Vanderbilt?

Marshon Lattimore, CB Ohio State? Marlon Humphrey from Alabama has more size. Sydeny Jones or Marlon Humphrey? Draft is deep in first few rounds CB talent. 

Malik McDowell (DT, MIchigan State) or Montravius Adams (DT Auburn)? Assuming Brantley and Jonathan Allen are gone.

Other thoughts: 

- if Butt or O.J. Howard are there, do we add that versatile pass catching TE who can line up anywhere on the field to catch up to the rest of the NFL?

- RB is of need, but outside of Cook and Fournette, we may want to wait on the position -- D'Onta Foreman (Texas) and Jamaal Williams (BYU) both intrigue me based on their size and athleticism/vision, and I like Oklahoma's Samaje Perine for his pounding style that will complement our other young backs. McCaffrey has a lot of buzz but think his skillset is too much like Washington/Richard. 

So who are we looking for at the 24th spot?

Jarrad Davis, ILB Florida? I like Raekwon McMillan form Ohio State but don't think he'll last. Zach Cunningham from Vanderbilt?

Marshon Lattimore, CB Ohio State? Marlon Humphrey from Alabama has more size. Sydeny Jones or Marlon Humphrey? Draft is deep in first few rounds CB talent. 

Malik McDowell (DT, MIchigan State) or Montravius Adams (DT Auburn)? Assuming Brantley and Jonathan Allen are gone.

Other thoughts: 

- if Butt or O.J. Howard are there, do we add that versatile pass catching TE who can line up anywhere on the field to catch up to the rest of the NFL?

- RB is of need, but outside of Cook and Fournette, we may want to wait on the position -- D'Onta Foreman (Texas) and Jamaal Williams (BYU) both intrigue me based on their size and athleticism/vision, and I like Oklahoma's Samaje Perine for his pounding style that will complement our other young backs. McCaffrey has a lot of buzz but think his skillset is too much like Washington/Richard. 
A lot of options for sure. It will be interesting to see what direction the Raiders go in the draft. 

I'd take Samaje Perine in rd 3 or even rd 2, or his teammate Joe Mixon (who MD would prolly veto due to the racist chick punchout video). Either of those two would be tremendous cheap replacements/upgrades for Lat as the powerback in this offense.

Mixon is like Laveon Bell and Perine is like Jamaal Lewis.

Users who are viewing this thread