What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrius Guice, Free Agent (3 Viewers)

NFL.com's Lance Zierlein believes that LSU sophomore RB Derrius Guice's "interior running style might be more NFL-friendly than even [Leonard] Fournette's."

"Guice has juice, plain and simple," Zierlein wrote. "With a combination of size, burst and power, Guice was able to churn out an incredible 8.5 yards per carry." Guice was named to the SEC All-Freshman Team last year after rushing for 436 rushing yards and three touchdowns on 51 attempts. That's an incredible 8.5 yards per carry. The 5-foot-11, 216-pounder also returned 20 kickoffs for 472 yards.

Source: NFL.com 
Tue, Jul 26, 2016 05:30:00 PM

Not overly impressed. Let me guess, next season he will be he best back to come out since...Adrian Peterson...lather, rinse, repeat.

petekrum said:
Good luck with that. He will be the first or second rookie off the board next year, along with Saquan Barkley.
LOL, no you misunderstand. I will draft him as my Devy player, 2017 draft will be she first year of availability. I have all picks from #8-#13 and I'm going to clean house!

ETA: Barkley will be my other Devy pick.

Giddy Up,

Tex

Last edited by a moderator:
LSU HC Ed Orgeron said that junior RB Derrius Guice "has handled everything that has been thrown at him so far."

"He is doing excellently in the classroom. He has been a leader for us," Orgeron said. The 5-foot-11, 216-pounder has waited patiently behind Leonard Fournette for his chance to take over the mantle as Tigers' lead runner. He doesn't view that wait as a detriment, saying, "A lot of people wouldn’t admit to that because everybody wants to be the star before they know what to do. Leonard already had a year on me, so my first summer coming in, all I wanted to do was learn, learn, learn, learn from Leonard and Darrel [Williams]." Often filling in as Fournette fought through an ankle injury this past season, Guice ultimately rushed for 1,387 yards (7.6 YPC) and 15 touchdowns. He is on the Heisman short list for 2017.

Source: ESPN.com

LSU junior RB Derrius Guice squatted 583 pounds this offseason.
That's some serious lower-body strength. We aren't sure how fast the 5-foot-11, 216-pounder will run the forty, but his wheels were sufficient enough to post an SEC-best 19 rushes of 10-plus yards last season. Guice is one of the SEC's top Heisman candidates this fall.

Source: ESPN 
Mar 17 - 2:34 PM

Ohio State's Mike Weber issues friendly challenge to Saquon Barkley, Derrius Guice

Excerpt:

I think the popular pick to finish first would be Guice. He wasn't even the technical starter at LSU last season and he rushed for 1,387 yards at a clip of 7.58 per carry. That yards per carry average blew away both Weber's 6.02 mark (1,096 yards total) and Barkley's 5.50 (1,496 yards). So, based on those numbers, I think it's safe to say that barring an injury, Guice isn't likely to finish last. That being said, Guice will be playing under a new offensive coordinator in Matt Canada, and while Canada likes to run the ball, he may decide to mix up his ball-carriers more than LSU had been last year with Guice and Leonard Fournette.

Still, I think Guice is the safest bet to finish top two.

https://twitter.com/lifesyourcup/status/875269820148666368

"Derrius Guice's top speed on his 96-yard run vs Arkansas was measured at 22.3 MPH."

For reference, here are top speeds of NFL players from last year within .10 MPH.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCWW73QUMAE8PK4.jpg
Last week Rhodes couldn't catch Dalvin Cook if Rhodes top-end speed is 22.4 I'm curious as to how fast Cook really is. 

The more games I've watched recently of both Guice and Barkley, I like Guice better. I was on the Barkley bandwagon for a longtime and thought he was a better player than Barkley even though they are close Guice is #1 IMHO with Barkley close behind. Both are struggling with blocking but they are young with more room to grow which is even scarier considering how talented they but are.

Tex

Last week Rhodes couldn't catch Dalvin Cook if Rhodes top-end speed is 22.4 I'm curious as to how fast Cook really is. 

The more games I've watched recently of both Guice and Barkley, I like Guice better. I was on the Barkley bandwagon for a longtime and thought he was a better player than Barkley even though they are close Guice is #1 IMHO with Barkley close behind. Both are struggling with blocking but they are young with more room to grow which is even scarier considering how talented they but are.

Tex
Barkley for me

Not sure, but he can stiff arm the 10th pick in the 2016 NFL draft and drag the 24th pick in the 2017 draft for 5 yards by his towel. As a true Freshman. In the same game. :D
As a Freshman, Guice broke a tackled from a 300-lb South Carolina DT who had him with both arms in the backfield. As a Sophomore, he broke a tackle from a 229-lb Reuben Foster who had him fully wrapped up. Then in the same game dragged a 286-lb Jonathan Allen for 3 yards.

This is a really silly conversation.  Guys break tackles and stiff arm really big guys all the time.  Here is Ramses Barden stiff-arming the bejeezus out of 4-time All-pro linebacker Luke Kuechly.  Ramses. Barden.

They're both great running backs, but none of this stuff has anything to do with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Freshman, Guice broke a tackled from a 300-lb South Carolina DT who had him with both arms in the backfield. As a Sophomore, he broke a tackle from a 229-lb Reuben Foster who had him fully wrapped up. Then in the same game dragged a 286-lb Jonathan Allen for 3 yards.
You're almost hyping this guy as much as you hyped Parker.

Watching LSU vs Florida right now.

I know some people think Guice is a really good RB. I am not seeing it so far in this game. He is averaging less than 3 yards per carry so far in this game on 12 carries.

No he’s not looking good today but he has been injured and this is his first game back and The Gators D Line is pushing LSU around so I can’t blame him much.

Tex

Guice breaks a tackle at the line of scrimmage and has a decent run because of it. Best run from him so far this game.

They bring in Williams following this who also has a good run. Then another good run by Williams following that.

About 5 minutes to go LSU has a 1 point lead due to a missed extra point by Florida.

As an LSU fan I can tell you that Guice is definitely hurt.  He has no bursts, power, or cutting ability right now.  It's something that will linger all year.  

Watching LSU vs Florida right now.

I know some people think Guice is a really good RB. I am not seeing it so far in this game. He is averaging less than 3 yards per carry so far in this game on 12 carries.
Here's a good snippet from an unrelated article:

GUICE 2017

Game                            Final snap in the game came…

BYU                              With 3:45 left in the third quarter

UT-Chattanooga          With 8:30 left in the third quarter

Mississippi State          With 1:20 left in the third quarter

Syracuse                    With 14:50 left in the third quarter

Troy                           Did not play

Missed time (total time) 148 minutes (300 minutes)

Blah the formatting sucks on these forums when you can't copy paste.

LSU junior RB Derrius Guice rushed for 276 yards and a touchdown on 22 carries in Saturday's 40-24 win over Ole Miss.

With the 276 yards rushing, Guice became the only player in SEC history with three career games of 250-plus on the ground. This performance was a welcome one for the Tigers and the junior, himself, as he has been limited by injury at times this season and had not surpassed 100 yards rushing since Week 2. As much as we love Guice's upside, we're not banking on back-to-back 100-yard showings -- LSU is off on bye next weekend before they must make the dark trudge to Tuscaloosa to take on Alabama.

Users who are viewing this thread