Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Derrius Guice, Redskins

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Biabreakable said:

I seem to be good at picking games when players of interest are not performing well.

He’s healthy now and has an extra week to prepare for The Tide. This we be a true test for him and an opportunity to make a statement. I believe the results will be dependent heavily on LSU O-Line which has struggled all year.

Tex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BigTex said:

He’s healthy now and has an extra week to prepare for The Tide. This we be a true test for him and an opportunity to make a statement. I believe the results will be dependent heavily on LSU O-Line which has struggled all year.

Tex

Alabama made Fournette look hesitant and mediocre...I wouldn't judge Guice on this matchup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, King of the Jungle said:

Alabama made Fournette look hesitant and mediocre...I wouldn't judge Guice on this matchup.

That’s True!

Tex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see him being the second RB off the board in next years draft.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, BigTex said:

He’s healthy now and has an extra week to prepare for The Tide. This we be a true test for him and an opportunity to make a statement. I believe the results will be dependent heavily on LSU O-Line which has struggled all year.

Tex

I have pretty much decided to just watch cut ups at the end of the season as I have tried to watch too many games live that ended up being a waste of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

I have pretty much decided to just watch cut ups at the end of the season as I have tried to watch too many games live that ended up being a waste of time.

I hear you on that. I will start posting games again. I took a few years off but this year I will start posting them online. Next year I plan to have my own site. I record all of them them selectively pick which games I want to watch and fast forward through the extra noise.

Tex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, King of the Jungle said:

Alabama made Fournette look hesitant and mediocre...I wouldn't judge Guice on this matchup.

Agreed, if you downgrade a player based on his results vs Alabama, you need a new evaluation process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

LSU junior RB Derrius Guice saw his stock rise in Week Eight, according to Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline.

This one might be obvious, but as Pauline notes: "A stat line of 276 yards on 22 carries (12.5 yard average) will raise any player's profile among scouts." Pauline also notes that " Guice does not have the same skill set as Leonard Fournette but is still a legitimate feature back for the next level." He gets a much, much tougher test in two weeks when the Tigers host the mighty Crimson Tide defense.

Source: Draft Analyst 

Oct 23 - 9:43 PM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's really no reason to compare him to Fournette.  He's a different back.  He's got slightly better vision and better lateral quickness, but I honestly don't think he has the same top end speed.  He's got good power, but he's not in Fournette's league there.  What they do/did against Bama won't say much either.  There's a different coordinator at LSU who presumably won't run the same two power plays into 9 and 10 men boxes all night.  I don't expect much success from the RB's against Bama, but there should be better production than there has been just from the play calling alone.

Every run vs Ole Miss.

I might be nuts, but I'm not sure he's 100% yet.  That's obviously the best he's looked all year, but Ole Miss is atrocious on defense.  Darrell Williams also had 200 all purpose yards against them that night.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks psychobillies.for the clips. Will check that out.

I wasn't sure how good Ole Miss was this year. They have been a decent defense in the past, but maybe not so much this year? 

It helps to have some context of how well Williams did in the game as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

LSU junior RB Derrius Guice rushed for 71 yards on 19 carries in Saturday's 24-10 loss to Alabama.

Guice (5'11/216) rushed for 276 yards and a score against Ole Miss prior to the bye, but somewhat predictably, he came down to earth facing off with Alabama on Saturday. The junior's long run on the evening went for just nine yards. This mostly unexplosive game aside, Guice's overall body of work has slowly begun to look more and more substantial following an injury-plagued start to the campaign. He's now rushed for 782 yards and six touchdowns in eight games. The Heisman is out the window, but 1,000 yards rushing very much remains in play.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

LSU junior RB Derrius Guice rushed for 147 yards and three touchdowns on 21 carries in the school's 33-10 win over Arkansas on Saturday.

Guice was launched out of a cannon on his 33-yard touchdown run off the left side of his line. He is clearly over his leg.knee/thigh injury that bothered Guice for weeks. Equally as impressive was Guice's short-yardage touchdown, plowing through defenders and breaking contact. His home stretch is getting the NFL excited.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein has been told by scouts that LSU junior RB Derrius Guice has been building buzz involving his 2017 draft stock.

Guice was hampered by injuries and struggled a bit even when healthy out of the gate, but few tailbacks have been better of the last few weeks. In fact, Zierlein believes that the way the 5-foot-11, 218-pound tailback has played over the last week could allow him to challenge Penn State's Saquon Barkley for the top running back spot in the 2018 draft. If Guice continues to play well and Barkley continues to "struggle" -- a relative term to be sure -- this could get interesting if both declare for the draft as expected.

Source: NFL.com

Nov 16 - 11:41 PM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein has been told by scouts that LSU junior RB Derrius Guice has been building buzz involving his 2017 draft stock.

Guice was hampered by injuries and struggled a bit even when healthy out of the gate, but few tailbacks have been better of the last few weeks. In fact, Zierlein believes that the way the 5-foot-11, 218-pound tailback has played over the last week could allow him to challenge Penn State's Saquon Barkley for the top running back spot in the 2018 draft. If Guice continues to play well and Barkley continues to "struggle" -- a relative term to be sure -- this could get interesting if both declare for the draft as expected.

Source: NFL.com

Nov 16 - 11:41 PM

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

LSU junior RB Derrius Guice rushed 24 times for 97 yards and a touchdown in Saturday's 30-10 win at Tennessee.

Guice is healthy again and he is humming along with five touchdowns over the past four outings. The Baton Rouge native continues to improve his stock leading up to the 2018 NFL Draft, and he is battling Penn State's Saquon Barkley to be the first back taken if both declare for the draft as expected. His final SEC game might be next Saturday night in Death Valley against Texas A&M.

Nov 19 - 12:58 AM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LSU junior RB Derrius Guice ran for 127 yards and a touchdown on 28 attempts in Saturday's 45-21 rout of Texas A&M.

Guice has scored at least one touchdown in a season-high three consecutive games while going for 127 or more rushing yards in three of his past five contests. He wrapped up the regular season with 1,153 rushing yards and 11 touchdowns. Guice is battling Penn State's Saquon Barkley to be the first back taken in the 2018 NFL Draft should both players declare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Are he and barkley the clear cut top two rbs?

Barkley is heads and shoulders (King Kong Size) above the rest with Guice being #2 but that 3 tier has a lot closer gap between them vs Tier 1. There’s probably 3-5 running backs you can make the case for and not be wrong at this point.

Tex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rickyg said:

Nick Chubb and Sony michel?

I'd add Bryce Love above to the list, if he comes out. His injuries this year worry me, and I wouldn't mind if he added little weight, but his talent feels like the real deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Are he and barkley the clear cut top two rbs?

A better question would be, in ppr dynasty drafts, will Guice go #2, or will Courtland Sutton, James Washington, or Calvin Ridley go #2?

Edited by JohnnyU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

A better question would be, in ppr dynasty drafts, will Guice go #2, or will Courtland Sutton, James Washington, or Calvin Ridley go #2?

That's a good question. It'll be interesting to see how those WRs rate when all is said and done. I think if Guice goes 1st RD or right situation in the 2nd I'd place him ahead off all 3 as once again I don't love this WR class at the current moment. But it's still early 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kcfflguy said:

That's a good question. It'll be interesting to see how those WRs rate when all is said and done. I think if Guice goes 1st RD or right situation in the 2nd I'd place him ahead off all 3 as once again I don't love this WR class at the current moment. But it's still early 

I agree about this WR class being weak.  However, at the top it's pretty good with Sutton, Washington, Ridley, and Kirk.  After that it isn't that good, but we all know someone will step up and make us look foolish ;)  Perhaps someone like Dante Pettis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

I agree about this WR class being weak.  However, at the top it's pretty good with Sutton, Washington, Ridley, and Kirk.  After that it isn't that good, but we all know someone will step up and make us look foolish ;)  Perhaps someone like Dante Pettis.

I think pretty good is fair but at the moment I wouldn't be surprised if any of the 4 you mentioned are a top 10 pick or lingering around to the 2nd round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I noticed at the .27 mark of this video is Guice passed up a hole center/to left of center and went right.  Should we question his vision?    #35 was moving laterally toward that hole but you would think Guice would have shot through it with room to spare, especially to the right side of that hole.  Video is the 3rd one down.

http://waitingfornextyear.com/2017/11/an-early-glance-at-the-running-back-class-in-the-2018-nfl-draft/

Edited by JohnnyU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:50 AM, JohnnyU said:

I agree about this WR class being weak.  However, at the top it's pretty good with Sutton, Washington, Ridley, and Kirk.  After that it isn't that good, but we all know someone will step up and make us look foolish ;)  Perhaps someone like Dante Pettis.

Anthony Miller is a future superstar.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LSU junior RB Derrius Guice says he's still up "in the air" about whether or not to declare for the NFL Draft.

In a post Monday night on Instagram, Guice indicated that he wouldn't announce his intentions until after LSU plays Notre Dame on Jan. 1 in the Citrus Bowl. Last season, in nearly an identical situation, LSU RB Leonard Fournette decided to skip the bowl game. Guice has given no indication either way. He did say, however, that he's "finally 100% thank the lord" after dealing with a knee issue earlier this fall. Guice is a projected top-15 pick if he declares. "We’ve seen him come back and dominate," Bleacher Report's Matt Miller said of Guice's knee issues. "He’s so pretty running the ball. Guice is so natural as a runner. He makes everything look easily. He runs with power and patience. It’s rare to find that balance." Miller believes Guice is in the "7-15 pick range" if he enters the draft.

Source: Baton Rouge Advocate 

Dec 5 - 5:26 PM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2017 at 7:19 AM, JohnnyU said:

One thing I noticed at the .27 mark of this video is Guice passed up a hole center/to left of center and went right.  Should we question his vision?    #35 was moving laterally toward that hole but you would think Guice would have shot through it with room to spare, especially to the right side of that hole.  Video is the 3rd one down.

http://waitingfornextyear.com/2017/11/an-early-glance-at-the-running-back-class-in-the-2018-nfl-draft/

Lol, it actually shows his great vision. Guice was actually about to move to his left as it appears a hole was opening up but if you look at #35 he’s shredding  a block and is about to tackle Guice (he’s coming from Guice’s left) but Guice makes a move, avoids the tackle and makes a positive gain.

I see the opposite my friend, looks like a damn good football move. He’s just so natural when he makes his move it might appear that he didn’t see the hole but you can tell he was headed straight for it but sudden move in the opposite direction.

Watch that play again.

Tex

Edited by BigTex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BigTex said:

Lol, it actually shows his great vision. Guice was actually about to move to his left as it appears a hole was opening up but if you look at #35 he’s shredding  a block and is about to tackle Guice (he’s coming from Guice’s left) but Guice makes a move, avoids the tackle and makes a positive gain.

I see the opposite my friend, looks like a damn good football move. He’s just so natural when he makes his move it might appear that he didn’t see the hole but you can tell he was headed straight for it but sudden move in the opposite direction.

Watch that play again.

Tex

He could have shot through the right side of that hole, but instead went to an area where there was no place to run.  He didn't see the hole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

He could have shot through the right side of that hole, but instead went to an area where there was no place to run.  He didn't see the hole.

I wouldn’t read to much into it either way. Every RB in the history of football missed holes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, petekrum said:

I wouldn’t read to much into it either way. Every RB in the history of football missed holes. 

I agree with that, but it's something, if you're looking for anythinG to not select him 1.2 in dynasty drafts if you're already strong at RB.

Edited by JohnnyU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

I agree with that, but it's something, if you're looking for anythinG to not select him 1.2 in dynasty drafts if you're already strong at RB.

If that’s the case I’d look to move out of that spot if possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, petekrum said:

If that’s the case I’d look to move out of that spot if possible. 

Easier said than done in an experienced league.  They also know there are good options later, like Bryce Love, Anthony Miller, Ridley, Sutton (no later than 1.3 probably),  Kirk, and possibly Washington (no later than 1.5 probably).  

Edited by JohnnyU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Easier said than done in an experienced league.  They also know there are good options later, like Bryce Love, Anthony Miller, Ridley, Sutton (no later than 1.3 probably),  Kirk, and possibly Washington (no later than 1.5 probably).  

I’d be dying to trade into the two spot if I could get Guice, especially if I was a RB needy team. Anyway, just an idea, you can always throw it out there and see if anyone bites. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, petekrum said:

I’d be dying to trade into the two spot if I could get Guice, especially if I was a RB needy team. Anyway, just an idea, you can always throw it out there and see if anyone bites. 

I have the 1.3 in a league and see no need to trade to the 1.2 spot.  If anything I'd love to trade down to 1.5 and get some future high picks.  I have Fournette, Gurley, Hunt, McCaffrey, and McCoy already in that league where we only have to start 1 RB.  It's a dynasty ppr and the only WRs on my team are OBJ, Antonio Brown, and Julio Jones.  We can start 1-5 RB, 1-5 WRs, total of 9 starters on offense.

Edited by JohnnyU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

I have the 1.3 in a league and see no need to trade to the 1.2 spot.  If anything I'd love to trade down to 1.5 and get some future high picks.

Sorry, I thought you were at 1.2. Barkley and Guice will probably both be gone at your pick. 

Edited by petekrum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, petekrum said:

Sorry, I thought you were at 1.2. Barkley and Guice will probably both be gone at your pick. 

I'm counting on it.  The big question for me is which WR I want to draft.

Edited by JohnnyU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

He could have shot through the right side of that hole, but instead went to an area where there was no place to run.  He didn't see the hole.

FWIW, I see it exactly as Tex.  He gets blasted by that LB if he hits the "hole" that you're referencing.  

Regardless, silly to write off a prospect based on one play regardless of whether they actually did miss a gaping hole or not.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SayWhat? said:

FWIW, I see it exactly as Tex.  He gets blasted by that LB if he hits the "hole" that you're referencing.  

Regardless, silly to write off a prospect based on one play regardless of whether they actually did miss a gaping hole or not.  

I agree with the bolded.  Having said that, If Barkley goes 1.1 and one of the WRs go 1.2, I'm not that excited about drafting Guice at 1.3 in a ppr league where you only have to start 1RB when I already have Gurley,  Fournette, McCoy, Hunt, and McCaffrey.  Hard to trade down in experienced leagues where owners know they will get a good player later in the 1st rd.  Not to mention I only have 3 WRs on my entire team.  I think I would draft James Washington over Guice at 1.3.

Edited by JohnnyU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JohnnyU said:

I agree with the bolded.  Having said that, If Barkley goes 1.1 and one of the WRs go 1.2, I'm not that excited about drafting Guice at 1.3 in a ppr league where you only have to start 1RB when I already have Gurely, Fournette, McCoy, Hunt, and McCaffrey.  Hard to trade down in experienced leagues where owners know they will get a good player later in the 1st rd.

I get that, though there's always teams that need RBs and if Guice is drafted in the 1st and showing anything, you'll be able to move him (or one of your other RBs) alone or in a package for a WR in season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SayWhat? said:

I get that, though there's always teams that need RBs and if Guice is drafted in the 1st and showing anything, you'll be able to move him (or one of your other RBs) alone or in a package for a WR in season.

True, if I think that much of Guice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2017 at 7:19 AM, JohnnyU said:

One thing I noticed at the .27 mark of this video is Guice passed up a hole center/to left of center and went right.  Should we question his vision?    #35 was moving laterally toward that hole but you would think Guice would have shot through it with room to spare, especially to the right side of that hole.  Video is the 3rd one down.

http://waitingfornextyear.com/2017/11/an-early-glance-at-the-running-back-class-in-the-2018-nfl-draft/

The specific play you are talking about, I don't think this is poor vision on Guices part at all.

They are pulling a lineman across to the right and the wing back is blocking back to the left. You have two good seal blocks on the right side that the lineman is pulling through, there is a lot more space there than the hole to the left that you think he should be hitting.

At quarter speed I can see Guice look to the left side hole, but he sees the LB is not blocked by the left tackle and is going to fill that hole, at this point he decides to follow the flow of the blocks to the right. 66 does not get a good block on the other LB forcing Guice to get skinny as he is hitting the hole. The tackle who is getting blocked backwards kind of gets in 66 way as why he couldn't get the LB blocked. The lineman being blocked backwards is able to shed and gets in the hole which forces Guice to not take it outside of the 2 blockers here.

He actually does a good job of splitting these two defenders with not much space to do it and gets past them. 66 ends up picking up the LB on the left side hole sealing him away. Number 30 is able to tackle Guice after he gets skinny and clears the two other defenders, otherwise this would have been a more successful run.

If Guice tried the hole to the left he would be met in the hole by the unblocked LB. If he tries to go outside to the right he would be met by the defensive lineman shedding his block who has outside leverage.

I think he runs this play as well as he could honestly and I don't think it is an example of poor vision on his part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Guice every bit as much as I did Fournette, especially because unlike Fournette he doesn't run to contact nearly as much.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, petekrum said:

I like Guice every bit as much as I did Fournette, especially because unlike Fournette he doesn't run to contact nearly as much.

I had that same thought the other day. In the NFL running towards contact is usually a recipe for a short career 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.