What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrius Guice, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

Someone stole and burned my Grey's Sports Almanac.

Unless you have a flying Delorean, I'm not sure you'll get those answers until the season starts
What's with the smart-aleck remark? It's a simple question to which locals may have an answer to. If you have nothing to contribute, don't say anything.

"It is better to remain silent and appear a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

Just be nice.

What's with the smart-aleck remark? It's a simple question to which locals may have an answer to. If you have nothing to contribute, don't say anything.

"It is better to remain silent and appear a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

Just be nice.
It was a joke, lighten up Francis. 

Guice hasnt practiced much, and had a very brief stint in one preseason game. if someone can gather the answers to your questions from that then they should buy a lotto ticket today. 

Sheesh. People are uptight today. But I guess you are a Bears fan, so... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a joke, lighten up Francis. 

Guice had a very brief stint in one preseason game. if someone can gather the answers to your questions from that then they should buy a lotto ticket today. 

Sheesh. People are uptight today. 
OK, I guess I missed the funny part. You've been around long enough to know better. And noone is being asked to base it on preseason games. There are local news sources that have been following them daily and could provide insight.

And you're still not being nice.

Mike Clay‏Verified account @MikeClayNFL Aug 24

Ouch. Fully expect the Texans to be in the RB market. Elijah McGuire, Kenneth Dixon, Carlos Hyde, Corey Clement, LeSean McCoy all names I'd keep an eye on.

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter

Texans fear RB Lamar Miller tore his ACL, per source.

-----------------------------------------------

Mike Clay‏Verified account @MikeClayNFL

Thought of him, too. He may want out of WAS if Guice is the guy anyway. AP-Duke Jr makes sense.

Mike Clay added,

Tony Rossi @tonyrossi22

Adrain Peterson lives in Houston.

7:11 PM - 24 Aug 2019

Bracie Smathers said:
Mike Clay‏Verified account @MikeClayNFL Aug 24

Ouch. Fully expect the Texans to be in the RB market. Elijah McGuire, Kenneth Dixon, Carlos Hyde, Corey Clement, LeSean McCoy all names I'd keep an eye on.

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter

Texans fear RB Lamar Miller tore his ACL, per source.

-----------------------------------------------

Mike Clay‏Verified account @MikeClayNFL

Thought of him, too. He may want out of WAS if Guice is the guy anyway. AP-Duke Jr makes sense.

Mike Clay added,

Tony Rossi @tonyrossi22

Adrain Peterson lives in Houston.

7:11 PM - 24 Aug 2019
It's pretty clear that Washington plans to platoon Peterson, Guise and Thompson.  I can't really see them trading Peterson.  Guise looks good so far but he's still coming off of injury.  I don't see him getting 20+ carries a game.  I could see him and Peterson splitting 30.  To add to that, last year, the Redskins were so devastated by injuries that they absolutely fear being left thin at any position.

Just my two cents.  While Peterson certainly may welcome the opportunity to be an every down back, I don't see the Skins parting with him.  And I don't see him pulling a Trent Williams sitting to enforce a trade.  

It's pretty clear that Washington plans to platoon Peterson, Guise and Thompson.  I can't really see them trading Peterson.  Guise looks good so far but he's still coming off of injury.  I don't see him getting 20+ carries a game.  I could see him and Peterson splitting 30.  To add to that, last year, the Redskins were so devastated by injuries that they absolutely fear being left thin at any position.

Just my two cents.  While Peterson certainly may welcome the opportunity to be an every down back, I don't see the Skins parting with him.  And I don't see him pulling a Trent Williams sitting to enforce a trade.  
Washington wants to go to Haskins but he's not ready right now but at some point during the season he will be starting and he'll go through growing pains and 'likely' he'll struggle.

AdP isn't a great receing back or pass protector.  The plan for this season 'should be' to get Haskins up and running ASAP to see what they have.  Peterson isn't in the future plans that will go to Haskins and he's just not a compliment to any rookie QB in the passing game.

If they got any sort of offer they 'should' pounce IMHO because the team needs to develop the young QB and make decisions based off of the best way to develop Haskins.  AdP isn't in the long-range plans and really doesn't fit their short-term plan to develop Haskins.

My opinion is if they can get anything for Peterson they should because they can pick up a 'decent' RB who would fit their short and long range plans to develop Haskins.

I presume that’s a typo. WAS RBs averaged 20.63 attempts last season, with Peterson accounting for 251 out of 330.

I presume that’s a typo. WAS RBs averaged 20.63 attempts last season, with Peterson accounting for 251 out of 330.
Point taken.  Maybe my wishful thinking they’ll run that much!  But my larger point is the Skins are going timeshare.  AP is not expendable...

Washington wants to go to Haskins but he's not ready right now but at some point during the season he will be starting and he'll go through growing pains and 'likely' he'll struggle.

AdP isn't a great receing back or pass protector.  The plan for this season 'should be' to get Haskins up and running ASAP to see what they have.  Peterson isn't in the future plans that will go to Haskins and he's just not a compliment to any rookie QB in the passing game.

If they got any sort of offer they 'should' pounce IMHO because the team needs to develop the young QB and make decisions based off of the best way to develop Haskins.  AdP isn't in the long-range plans and really doesn't fit their short-term plan to develop Haskins.

My opinion is if they can get anything for Peterson they should because they can pick up a 'decent' RB who would fit their short and long range plans to develop Haskins.
I respect your line of thinking but I believe the Redskins will not look at it that way.  They always try to “win now” even if it’s not realistic and to add to that Gruden’s job may be on the line if they implode too bad this year.  

Even if the plan is to develop Haskins having a full compliment of RBs sets him up more for success...not taking weapons away.

I also don’t see Houston offering the Skins enough for AP to even make it worth it to go into the season with Guise not truly recovered enough for a full load.  What are they going to give for basically a one year rental?  A 6th?  This is fun fantasy talk but I just don’t see it happening.

The deal that should happen is Trent Williams for a first.  That makes sense for both teams

Would love to hear your logic on this.  How many teams, that have almost zero chance at making the playoffs in the next 2 years, are unwilling to part with a 34 yr old rb with zero emotional ties to the team or fans?
My logic is that I follow the Skins and feel I understand how they think.  Despite what you say, they are trying to win now.  I am not saying it is realistic; I am saying that’s how they think.  And if they are trying to win now they are not putting Guise in the position to carry a full load coming off of ACL surgery.

You May think I’m nuts but I believe I know how the Skins think.  If they trade AP I’ll come back here and eat crow but until then I maintain they won’t trade him 

I am really happy that Guice is healthy and playing again. I think he is a great player and I really wanted to add him in redraft leagues.

Every time I came to this decision point though, I just could not pull the trigger because I just can't bet against Peterson.

On the flip side I couldn't take Peterson either because I know how good Guice is.

Would love to hear your logic on this.  How many teams, that have almost zero chance at making the playoffs in the next 2 years, are unwilling to part with a 34 yr old rb with zero emotional ties to the team or fans?
There are zero teams that believe that, and less than zero that actually coach their teams that way.

Not asking you to eat crow.  I can see by how you answered, that you understand my point.  If I understand yours, I would sum it up this way....You follow the skins and know they are delusional (think they can make playoffs) and dumb (keeping a 34 yr old rb for a bad reason).  I can't claim I follow the skins enough to judge how dumb they can be, but the decision to keep Peterson (if it is a choice) would confirm how dumb they are.
You got it!  😀

The problem is no NFL teams go into the season thinking they have zero chance at making the playoffs.  Heck even the Fins/Bills brought in Fitzpatrick/Gore this offseason.

Coach Jay Gruden told reporters Monday that Derrius Guice will get more carries than Adrian Peterson.

Gruden specifically stated, "The offense, carries-wise, will pretty much go through him." We still expect the Redskins to utilize a three-back committee that will also feature Chris Thompson on pass downs. Still, the news is undoubtedly positive for the fantasy stock of Guice. The No. 59 overall pick of the 2018 draft missed his entire rookie season with a torn ACL, but looked healthy enough in Week 3 of the preseason when he converted 11 carries into 44 yards. The problem is that each of these running backs will still be operating behind the Redskins' sad excuse for an offensive line against an Eagles defense that ranked ninth in rush DVOA last season (Football Outsiders).

RELATED: 

Adrian Peterson

, Chris Thompson

SOURCE: Grant Paulsen on Twitter.

Sep 2, 2019, 1:58 PM ET

Still not optimistic for any of them. 3-headed monster on a bad team with a bad QB & a bad OL. 

Prediction: The best RB on this team will be a flex player at best in redraft. 

I got AP for $3/500 in my dynasty & he’s a BYE week filler at flex IF circumstances are dire. Im praying that never comes to pass. 

Graham Barfield‏Verified account @GrahamBarfield

Nice thought… but Derrius Guice was on sidelines for all 5 third downs in favor of Chris Thompson in #Redskins third preseason game with Case Keenum on field. Thompson ranks top-8 among RBs in routes run & 3rd down receptions per game the last two years.

Adam CaplanVerified account @caplannfl

Full Jay Gruden quote on Derrius Guice: "We drafted him for a reason. We feel like he can be a first, second and even a third down back, if needed. I think the offense, carries wise, will probably go through…

1:40 PM - 2 Sep 2019

Graham Barfield‏Verified account @GrahamBarfield

Nice thought… but Derrius Guice was on sidelines for all 5 third downs in favor of Chris Thompson in #Redskins third preseason game with Case Keenum on field. Thompson ranks top-8 among RBs in routes run & 3rd down receptions per game the last two years.

Adam CaplanVerified account @caplannfl

Full Jay Gruden quote on Derrius Guice: "We drafted him for a reason. We feel like he can be a first, second and even a third down back, if needed. I think the offense, carries wise, will probably go through…

1:40 PM - 2 Sep 2019
Yeah as a Thompson owner I was worried this might happen.

Realistically, what sort of line do we see him putting up against that Philly D?
Skins D projects to be pretty solid, so I think they can hang around enough to get Guice some touches. 17/70 3/28 through the air. Flexworthy in a tough matchup, with greener pastures ahead.

It's exciting news but I still think the offense won't be good enough to produce a reliable starting FF RB. Flex/bye/injury usage for Guice (& Thompson in the right MU) with an unpredictable boom/bust weekly scoring nature. 2020 still looks promising for a big jump with a young core at the offensive skill positions. 

If that's the case that's somewhat shocking. Guice owner here and not expecting much even if he is "the guy" with this offense, but that bumps him up a lot if it's true.  Even in a struggling offense, a RB getting most of the carries is at least worth a RB3 in my league with substantial upside.

I don’t have Guice in any leagues but I’m looking forward to what he can do if he stays healthy. The situation isn’t great but it wouldn’t surprise me if he shows enough this year to be regarded much more highly in dynasty going into 2020. I’m a big believer in his talent. 

I am itching to start him over Rashaad penny in my flex, but a few things are not going his way today:

1) his team sucks.  I want to see what they can muster on offense for one week before I put my faith in guice

2) they are playing away at eagles.  Eagles are a great team with a strong D and recent history BW these 2 teams (especially in philly) has not been kind to Washington.  Last year they were shut out.  Granted it was Mark Sanchez, but is case Keemun that much better?  And is the talent at WR better than last year?  Debatable.  

3) does gruden actually commit to the run and commit to feeding one back 18+ touches?  Remains to be seen.  

4) I can see this game script with the skins trailing basically all game.  Do they stick with the run?  Or does it become Chris Thompson time?  

I am itching to start him over Rashaad penny in my flex, but a few things are not going his way today:

1) his team sucks.  I want to see what they can muster on offense for one week before I put my faith in guice

2) they are playing away at eagles.  Eagles are a great team with a strong D and recent history BW these 2 teams (especially in philly) has not been kind to Washington.  Last year they were shut out.  Granted it was Mark Sanchez, but is case Keemun that much better?  And is the talent at WR better than last year?  Debatable.  

3) does gruden actually commit to the run and commit to feeding one back 18+ touches?  Remains to be seen.  

4) I can see this game script with the skins trailing basically all game.  Do they stick with the run?  Or does it become Chris Thompson time?  
Even with the poor matchup I’d start Guice over Penny based upon sheer volume. 

Personally I am shocked that they are deactivating AP.  Football wise this is terrible news.  They need to platoon these guys to protect both.  Fantasy wise I now have to say that I think Guise is a good option going forward.  He’ll catch passes too.

Not sure about Philly game as once the game gets out of hand, Keenum is likely to throw 40 times.  But through the season, Guise will have opportunity and he is definitely talented.

Making his NFL debut, Derrius Guice rushed 10 times for 18 yards in the Redskins' Week 1 loss to the Eagles.

Guice got the start with Adrian Peterson benched as a healthy inactive. He had a long run of five yards and caught all three of his targets for 20 yards. In an offense that projects to be playing from behind a ton this year, Guice will be a highly TD-dependent RB2/3 play. He doesn't look fully back to the player he was before last August's torn ACL. Guice may never return to that form. Guice will be a dice-roll fantasy play next week against the Cowboys.

Sep 8, 2019, 4:48 PM ET

WTEM just stated on the Radio that Rappoport is reporting that Guice will miss some time to the non-operative knee injury.   

Wow.  

Rotoworld:

Derrius Guice (knee) underwent an MRI Monday and is likely to miss time.

The injury is to his right knee, not the one he tore during last year's preseason. The knee trouble could explain Guice's lack of production in his NFL debut Sunday at Philadelphia (10 carries for 18 yards). With Guice facing another extended absence, the Redskins will likely turn to Adrian Peterson—who was a healthy scratch for the first time in his career Sunday—as their lead back with Chris Thompson occupying his usual role on passing downs. It's another tough blow for Guice, who has seen just 23 regular-season snaps since arriving as a second-round pick in 2018.

RELATED: 

Adrian Peterson

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 9, 2019, 12:42 PM ET

Guice and Watson for L Murray and A Rodgers? Did you forget to include another player you received? because IMO you got the worse rb and the worse QB 
:hey: He better pray he doesn't need surgery considering he will get the inevitable Redskins medical STAPH problems.

Users who are viewing this thread