Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Derrius Guice, Redskins

1 hour ago, Raptors409 said:

August 14th, 2019 (today)

Peterson (ankle) has returned to practice at training camp. Briefly sidelined by an ankle injury, Peterson otherwise seems to have enjoyed good health throughout spring and summer practices. He was held out of the preseason opener along with a slew of other key veterans, but he could get a few carries in the second or third week of the exhibition slate. The 34-year-old is facing competition from Derrius Guice, who still hasn't been cleared for full contact but appears on track for a game appearance before the end of the preseason. With Chris Thompson set to handle passing downs, Washington may open the season with a three-headed backfield.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/redskins-adrian-peterson-practicing-again/

Weird because you said he’s banged up (present tense) but in the very thing you posted it said he’s “enjoyed good health”

isn't that weird? 

Cmon son. 

5 hours ago, Raptors409 said:

I see. You're opinion is completely valid. I just figured that Guice is going to come back from his ACL without issue like the past 10-15 offensive players who have suffered the same injury have.

Ever since Wes Welker tore his ACL and MCL in January 2010, was recovered by September 2010, and posted a career high 1,569 receiving yards at age 30... the injury stopped scaring me. Both the recovery and the loss of athleticism.

5 hours ago, Raptors409 said:

I'm not comparing Welker to Guice. I'm saying the injury isn't what it used to be. If 8 years ago a 30 athletic Wide Receiver came back in 8 months and posted a career year. I'm not worried about a 22 year old kid who had 12 months to recover in the year 2019. 

Welker had his worst year in NE right after his ACL injury. Tore his ACL January 2010. Played in 2010, but had only 86/848/7 receiving (his only NE season below 110 receptions or 1100 yards). Then in 2011 (20 months after his injury) he had a career year.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ZWK said:

Welker had his worst year in NE right after his ACL injury. Tore his ACL January 2010. Played in 2010, but had only 86/848/7 receiving (his only NE season below 110 receptions or 1100 yards). Then in 2011 (20 months after his injury) he had a career year.

You're right. I was pulling up the stats at work and as basing it off this article. I suppose it makes more sense that he didn't come back as Superman, lmao.

28 minutes ago, cloppbeast said:

:lol:

nah - we’re All just bored and there isn’t any real news. I’m not mad at anyone in here. 

I wish Guice was cheaper than his 7th or 8th round adp.  Guice might have tier one potential but this season he is just a handcuff in a bad situation.  Adrian Peterson looked good last year and might be an anomaly when it comes to running back longevity.  James Andrews said he had never seen a knee as pristine as Peterson's when he did surgery on him.  Add to that Chris Thompson.  Add to that defenses stacking the line because of the lack of a passing threat.  Add to that a horrible offensive line.  Add to that a team that won't run much because they will be playing from behind. 

I'd be a Guice buyer in dynasty because of his vast potential.  He is the perfect player to target mid-season in dynasty if your team isn't playoff bound.  But I can't justify a 7th or 8th round pick on him in redraft when quality tight ends and wide receivers are still available in the draft. 

Edited by Don Hutson

2 hours ago, Don Hutson said:

Adrian Peterson looked good last year and might be an anomaly when it comes to running back longevity.

At the onset he did. In the second half he was a jag.  He was 3.66 after game 7. And would have been 2.97 but for the 90 yarder on MNF week-13, where his other 8 carries went for 8 yards.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Choke said:

At the onset he did. In the second half he was a jag.  He was 3.66 after game 7. And would have been 2.97 but for the 90 yarder on MNF week-13, where his other 8 carries went for 8 yards.

Having Josh Johnson, Colt McCoy, and Dirty Sanchez at quarterback and an offensive line riddled with injuries probably had a lot to do with Peterson's second half decline.  But one reason for optimism for Guice is that Gruden won't hesitate to bench Peterson if he isn't producing.  Gruden is fighting for his job and isn't going to worry about upsetting Peterson.  Unfortunately, there aren't too many running backs in the NFL who can produce on a horrible offensive with an inept offensive line.

7 hours ago, Don Hutson said:

Having Josh Johnson, Colt McCoy, and Dirty Sanchez at quarterback and an offensive line riddled with injuries probably had a lot to do with Peterson's second half decline.  But one reason for optimism for Guice is that Gruden won't hesitate to bench Peterson if he isn't producing.  Gruden is fighting for his job and isn't going to worry about upsetting Peterson.  Unfortunately, there aren't too many running backs in the NFL who can produce on a horrible offensive with an inept offensive line.

Guice’s 3 down skillset should help with the crappy OL too. They can get him the ball with short passes and mismatches vs LBs. Can’t do that as effectively with ADP.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

:lol:

nah - we’re All just bored and there isn’t any real news. I’m not mad at anyone in here. 

We're just trying to sell the Pay Per View.

"Former best friends turned bitter enemies. Raptors409 takes on Hot Sauce Guy this Sunday, August 18th in a SOLID STEEL CAGE."

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1

On 8/14/2019 at 2:54 PM, matttyl said:

Honestly, I see his biggest risk (aside from the team being horrible) as Peterson.  He might be old, but he's still getting it done.  I don't think Guice is going to relegate Peterson to the bench entirely, and then Thompson is coming back as well.  It's already a small pie, and he's only getting ~1/3 of it at best?

I'm going to go ahead and reiterate this after seeing him in action last night.  Dude still has it.  I get that 4 carriers isn't a large sample, but you can still see that he is what he was last year, which wasn't bad at all. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, matttyl said:

I'm going to go ahead and reiterate this after seeing him in action last night.  Dude still has it.  I get that 4 carriers isn't a large sample, but you can still see that he is what he was last year, which wasn't bad at all. 

Dude looks like he could run for 1,200 yards. I just watched it. Crazy. He's definitely the value of the two.

I still believe in Guice and thought Peterson would break down sooner than later but maybe not so much. 2 years ago it looked like AD was going break down on each of his carries but between last year and how he looked this year so far it looks like Guice investors may have to wait a while for a payoff.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Derrius Guice (knee, hamstring) is expected to play in Thursday's preseason game against the Falcons.

That's the Redskins' regular season dress rehearsal, and Guice is expected to get "some" action. As recently as last week, Guice had yet to be cleared for live games. It will be our only real window into Guice's health after a hamstring injury complicated his return from last year's knee washout. Fighting for touches alongside Adrian Peterson and Chris Thompson, Guice is a fantasy wild card.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Aug 19, 2019, 3:12 PM ET

• Like 1