Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Derrius Guice, Redskins

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

 

It's going to be tough to squeeze him onto the roster this week, I'll have more room in two weeks, but, not sure he'll last that long. People are starting to wake up on this.

Once that alert hits about him returning to practice that window will start to close quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ahartig said:

AP getting MRI on ankle.... if AP is out and Thompson is also out, is Smallwood the only healthy back?

I think they have Craig Reynolds too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cobbler1 said:

Yup now is the time to stash. Just about any back likely to see double digit carries has value.


Assuming AP and Thompson are healthy, don't you think Guice would be eased back in?

Not saying if Guice plays up to potential he wouldn't command double digit carries. Just that might take a few weeks after he returns to realize. By then the Skins might also be so far out of competition that the team may not want to risk running him hard until next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:


Assuming AP and Thompson are healthy, don't you think Guice would be eased back in?

Not saying if Guice plays up to potential he wouldn't command double digit carries. Just that might take a few weeks after he returns to realize. By then the Skins might also be so far out of competition that the team may not want to risk running him hard until next year.

I think they need to evaluate if he is the dude for next year more so than they need to save him for it. He barely played in the preseason yet still got lead back touches the first game. He’ll have a couple weeks to practice before he’s eligible to play. Shouldn’t take a few weeks to ramp up to lead back carries if they want to use him like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cobbler1 said:

He barely played in the preseason yet still got lead back touches the first game. He’ll have a couple weeks to practice before he’s eligible to play. Shouldn’t take a few weeks to ramp up to lead back carries if they want to use him like that.

That was Gruden, though, and Gruden basically didn't want AP around this year, even going so far as to call him not a fit for the offense he was running. The situation in WAS, whether for worse or better, has certainly changed since the firing. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rockaction said:

That was Gruden, though, and Gruden basically didn't want AP around this year, even going so far as to call him not a fit for the offense he was running. The situation in WAS, whether for worse or better, has certainly changed since the firing. 

There is no reason to not use Guice.  They have to see if he can stand up to the league, injury and performance wise.  AP will not be on the next good Redskins team if there is ever one with this owner and FO.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NightStalkers said:

There is no reason to not use Guice.  They have to see if he can stand up to the league, injury and performance wise.  AP will not be on the next good Redskins team if there is ever one with this owner and FO.

Yeah, I wasn't arguing about what they should do. I was sort of saying what they did under Gruden and how it might, just might, differ from what they do going forward. If he's their guy, they're going to want to make sure he's totally healed.

That would mean he doesn't get fifteen-twenty carries the game he returns.

But I'm not pinning myself to a position; I was merely pointing out that Gruden really didn't want AP around his offense at the beginning of the year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Yeah, I wasn't arguing about what they should do. I was sort of saying what they did under Gruden and how it might, just might, differ from what they do going forward. If he's their guy, they're going to want to make sure he's totally healed.

That would mean he doesn't get fifteen-twenty carries the game he returns.

But I'm not pinning myself to a position; I was merely pointing out that Gruden really didn't want AP around his offense at the beginning of the year. 

Honestly not sure if Gruden was wrong.  AP is butt old.  Great but old. This FO fools themselves that they are playoff contention.  A sane organization would rebuild....  I am not sure if anyone can trust the medical situation right now so only Guice should know if he is ready...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rockaction said:

That was Gruden, though, and Gruden basically didn't want AP around this year, even going so far as to call him not a fit for the offense he was running. The situation in WAS, whether for worse or better, has certainly changed since the firing. 

Thats fair and I appreciate the point. I didn’t think of that although I agree with the following conversation about Guice still likely to get lead back work from the new coach.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rockaction said:

That was Gruden, though, and Gruden basically didn't want AP around this year, even going so far as to call him not a fit for the offense he was running. The situation in WAS, whether for worse or better, has certainly changed since the firing. 

Fair point, although the same could be said in the future for the new Washington coach who didn't draft Guice. It's not like they have a ton of capital tied up in Guice if the new coach wants his own guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, zamboni said:

Fair point, although the same could be said in the future for the new Washington coach who didn't draft Guice. It's not like they have a ton of capital tied up in Guice if the new coach wants his own guy.

Sure. I wouldn't argue against that at all. Actually, my sort of implied position in this thread has been to not make it a predictive one. I'm just saying what Gruden did with AP and how that affected Guice's workload after barely stepping on the field. Personally, I'm holding Guice in an IR spot in a fun league and want to see him back soon and getting a full workload. I'm just not sure that's the case. If I were to have to get predictive, I'd bet against it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a lost season.  If they keep starting ADP after Guice is back they are crazy.  Need to see what they've got going into 2020.  

 

I'd expect a medium workload week 11, followed by feature back action weeks 12-17.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope people aren't misunderstanding my position to be that AP gets feature back work even when Guice gets back. I see an RBBC with Smallwood, AP, Guice, and Thompson on third down. I'm not sure -- though I hope -- that there will be any feature back on the squad.

That said, I am not a WAS homer, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. 

Edited by rockaction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:


Assuming AP and Thompson are healthy, don't you think Guice would be eased back in?

Not saying if Guice plays up to potential he wouldn't command double digit carries. Just that might take a few weeks after he returns to realize. By then the Skins might also be so far out of competition that the team may not want to risk running him hard until next year.

 Callahan needs to prove he should be brought back next year before he can start worrying about next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All this talk about not playing him and waiting for next year... 

1- this is a business. Washington needs a reason for fans to buy tickets. They need to sell merchandise. They need to give fans hope for next year. Selling a myth that Guice and Haskins might be worth coming to see isnt going to work

2- Guice needs to prove he can play. Washington needs to figure oit if they need to be in the market in a loaded rb class. Guice could very well be like Rodney Anderson and just get injury after injury- who knows. He could fizzle. I'm somewhat optimistic for short term success, but I dont expect a super long career like Frank Gore, Tomlinson, Faulk, etc. If Washington goes all in on Guice being their guy, and then he isnt in 2020, they wasted an entire year again. They need to find out now

3- They need to figure out the coaching staff. You can't give a guy some of his players and judge his probability for future success fairly. 

4- Sitting a healthy player is more detrimental to his long term health than playing him and risking injury. "If you dont use it, you lose it." Sure if he isnt healthy until week 14 then maybe shut him down but if he can come back in 2 weeks then you play him 1/3 of the season and see what he can do. 

This all makes sense to me as a rational person, but the Redskins are the most mismanaged team in the NFL, so expect the complete irrational is maybe the better approach... 

Edited by Dr. Dan
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rockaction said:

That was Gruden, though, and Gruden basically didn't want AP around this year, even going so far as to call him not a fit for the offense he was running. The situation in WAS, whether for worse or better, has certainly changed since the firing. 

Callahan was the assistant head coach there right? Why is assumed he didn’t feel the same was as Gruden? Seriously asking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bigboy10182000 said:

Callahan was the assistant head coach there right? Why is assumed he didn’t feel the same was as Gruden? Seriously asking. 

Good question. I...uh...dunno. I wasn't assuming anything, really. I was literally just saying that he "might, just might" feel differently than Gruden did. I don't really know what Callahan thinks about Peterson and Guice when having to choose between the two, but Peterson's volume has completely jumped with Callahan at the reins. That much we do know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2019 at 12:18 PM, Dr. Dan said:

Guice and Watson for L Murray and A Rodgers? Did you forget to include another player you received? because IMO you got the worse rb and the worse QB 

Remember me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SCT said:

Remember me?

hope it was worth it for two weeks from murray. 

FTR I believe I've always agreed that Murray had lotto ticket potential if Kamara ever got hurt, but i wouldnt trade Guice for him. I have Mureay in one league and the last 2 weeks were good, sure, but if I was offered Guice for him I'd snap accept 

And even though Rodgers is playing awesome, Watson is out scoring him by about 4 fp/g. I'm not really sure why you bumped this quote actually. Almost proves my point exactly...  Rodgers and Murray for Watson probably isnt accepted in the vast majority of dynasty leagues by Watson owners. 

I guess if you were looking to lake a run in 2019 it might pay off short term, but long term this is still a losing deal. To be clear, I'm not saying Guice is a hold, rather he has more value than what you got. I'm trying to sell where I own him. 

Best of luck to you the rest of this season

Edited by Dr. Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

hope it was worth it for two weeks from murray. 

FTR I believe I've always agreed that Murray had lotto ticket potential if Kamara ever got hurt, but i wouldnt trade Guice for him. I have Mureay in one league and the last 2 weeks were good, sure, but if I was offered Guice for him I'd snap accept 

And even though Rodgers is playing awesome, Watson is out scoring him by about 4 fp/g. I'm not really sure why you bumped this quote actually. Almost proves my point exactly...  Rodgers and Murray for Watson probably isnt accepted in the vast majority of dynasty leagues by Watson owners. 

I guess if you were looking to lake a run in 2019 it might pay off short term, but long term this is still a losing deal. To be clear, I'm not saying Guice is a hold, rather he has more value than what you got. I'm trying to sell where I own him. 

Best of luck to you the rest of this season

Except this is redraft.  And Rogers and Murray have vastly outscored Watson and Guice.  Good job by me.

Edited by SCT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SCT said:

Except this is redraft.  And Rogers and Murray have vastly outscored Watson and Guice.  Good job by me.

Good for you, nobody remembers or cares.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ffmail4me said:

So back on topic is this the week Guice is expected back? 

No, next week. November 8 would be the 8 week point required by IR. However, the team has a bye in week 10 (Nov. 10) so technically week 11 would be his first chance to play. We can probably expect enough info over the course of the next 2 weeks of practice to be sure about week 11.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will be watching this very closely. With both Carson and Henry out that week, having Guice -- even back on a snap count -- would be key.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Will be watching this very closely. With both Carson and Henry out that week, having Guice -- even back on a snap count -- would be key.

Right there with you. As it stands now, I'll be starting 2 Raiders RBs week 11.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rotoworld:

Quote

Coach Bill Callahan said RB Derrius Guice (knee) is on track to suit up in Week 11.

Guice posted 10-18-0 rushing and 3-20-0 receiving lines in Week 1 prior to being placed on the injured reserve list. The Redskins' 2018 second-round pick has battled knee injuries since entering the league, but appears to be healthy enough to return for the season's stretch run. Adrian Peterson was a healthy scratch with Guice active in Week 1, although that was with Jay Gruden as head coach. Guice will be a thin fantasy play once active as a likely committee back in one of the league's very worst offenses.

SOURCE: JP Finlay on Twitter.

Oct 28, 2019, 3:12 PM ET

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see Dr. Dan weighed in. Anyone else with medical experience or other pertinent experience care to weigh in on Guice's odds to finish the next season?

After stashing him all this time, with his return near, I am getting cold feet. I am thinking of selling him (dynasty) before he has a chance to prove or disprove his worth.  Appreciate any other analysis of what we know of his injuries to this point and the perceived likelihood of permanent loss of ability or recurrence of season-ending injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phantom Knight said:

I see Dr. Dan weighed in. Anyone else with medical experience or other pertinent experience care to weigh in on Guice's odds to finish the next season?

After stashing him all this time, with his return near, I am getting cold feet. I am thinking of selling him (dynasty) before he has a chance to prove or disprove his worth.  Appreciate any other analysis of what we know of his injuries to this point and the perceived likelihood of permanent loss of ability or recurrence of season-ending injury.

My best advice- move him in the offseason. His value is nothing. If he shows some life at the end of this year that is surely to carry over into hype for next year, and then you can sell prior to the draft. That's my plan at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

My best advice- move him in the offseason. His value is nothing. If he shows some life at the end of this year that is surely to carry over into hype for next year, and then you can sell prior to the draft. That's my plan at least.

This kid is 22. He still has a decent sized window for success IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

This kid is 22. He still has a decent sized window for success IMO

I agree, he may still find success. I am pessimistic that it will be sustainable though given his injury history. I'm always concerned about longevity.

One could have said the same after Gurley tore his ACL in 2014, yet here we are 5 years later talking about the arthritis in his knee and how bad of shape he's in

5 years is a long time, and Gurley was the best at his position for the majority of those 5 years. I could see Guice having a 3-4 year window of success. You can bet I'll be trying to trade him every step of the way 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a hard time seeing the value this year for this guy in redraft.

First, you have to hold through the bye until week 11. Then, who knows if he splits with AP. Plus, the whole team in general could be a complete dumpster fire if Haskins takes over.

Will be a hard guy to trust.

Stranger lightnings in a bottle have been found, but having a hard time seeing it with other options available and only limited roster spots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cobbler1 said:

Trent Williams back. Boost to his ROS outlook?

Rumor is Trent will report, then sit out every game and forfeit his paycheck to accrue his season and move on 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback.  And the Gurley reminder is most helpful.  I agree he doesn't have a ton of value right now. But with him be activated for week 10, there surely is an uptick of interest.  I just got a low ball offer tossed my way today.  I was intent on holding, but I am thinking I will see if I can get 60 to 70 cents on the dollar for him.  If so, I will take it.  On a different  (dynasty) team with more going for it, I'd definitely hold.  I just can't afford nothing for him (ie, he never regains form) on this particular team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

Rumor is Trent will report, then sit out every game and forfeit his paycheck to accrue his season and move on 

Wowzer... somehow that seems fitting for the dumpster of a team Snyder has created. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

Rumor is Trent will report, then sit out every game and forfeit his paycheck to accrue his season and move on 

For real? Don’t like that! Isn’t he under contract through 2020?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

Rumor is Trent will report, then sit out every game and forfeit his paycheck to accrue his season and move on 

Everything wrong with the NFL in one sentence.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

Rumor is Trent will report, then sit out every game and forfeit his paycheck to accrue his season and move on 

I am skeptical. He forfeits about 5.5 million dollars and is on the books for 14 million next year. So if he sits ext year too he will be giving up a total of 25 million to be a FA at 32 and sign a deal maybe worth slightly more? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

I am skeptical. He forfeits about 5.5 million dollars and is on the books for 14 million next year. So if he sits ext year too he will be giving up a total of 25 million to be a FA at 32 and sign a deal maybe worth slightly more? 

I'd guess he's hoping to get traded in the off season.

It's a business for all, and some owner will find his services worth the price, but I kind of would prefer if owners saw a player making good money, who refuses to play, and decided he wasn't worth adding to a team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sell Window?  Every time he gets healthy I regret not selling then.  Buy back later when he gets hurt or Washington drags him down? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

Rumor is Trent will report, then sit out every game and forfeit his paycheck to accrue his season and move on 

I wondered this too... He reported, but didn't say he would play... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

Having a hard time seeing the value this year for this guy in redraft.

First, you have to hold through the bye until week 11. Then, who knows if he splits with AP. Plus, the whole team in general could be a complete dumpster fire if Haskins takes over.

Will be a hard guy to trust.

Stranger lightnings in a bottle have been found, but having a hard time seeing it with other options available and only limited roster spots.

I agree. This may be terrible advice, but with an unstable quarterback, line, and touch distribution this seems like better left elsewhere.

Of course, come Wk 13, Callahan could have me eating these words. But Adrian Peterson, Guice, Thompson all adds up into division of the pie with potentially stacked Haskins boxes. That's not a Baskin Robbins stack. Nothing sugary sweet 'bout that. 

Edited by rockaction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a deep league, I added him off waivers in redraft

i don’t think I would have given anything of value for him

i gave up on Ajayi (deep league) to get him (and dropped three spots in the order)  and wondered if that was even a mistake, if that give you a sense of his value

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DallasDMac said:
14 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

Rumor is Trent will report, then sit out every game and forfeit his paycheck to accrue his season and move on 

Everything wrong with the NFL in one sentence word.

Fixed that for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guice is the future for this team, but this team doesn't have a bright future ahead of it. This season is a total wash, and AP is playing well enough to justify not throwing your recently healed RB of the future out for more punishment. 

I don't think Guice has any real redraft value, unless you're in a super deep league and want a really bad lottery ticket option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

So we don't think this guy takes hold of the job? Add on he's on a bad team. Trying to gauge his value, if any.

I think he takes the lead back job fairly easily. Don’t really see what the Redskins have to gain by rolling out AP. I don’t think Guice has done enough to earn “protect future asset” status. They need to see if he can stay healthy for a few games and get a glimpse at what they have in him if he does. Others seem to disagree with that. Let’s see what happens.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.