Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Derrius Guice, Redskins

Typical NFL. Do something complete ludicrous (asking a player about their sexuality at the combine after years of asking about moms being prositutes and other egregious questions) then defend the perpetrator through slander of the whistleblower. These teams, their ownership and the league office are outrageous. 

An NFL scout told Bob McGinn Football that LSU RB Derrius Guice runs in a similar style to Oakland Raiders RB Marshawn Lynch.

"He isn’t quite as thick as Marshawn but he’s a very similar guy," the scout said. "He’s low to the ground and runs angry. He runs like a guy that’s 240, but when he sticks his foot in the ground he can spin and get out of stuff. People will worry about his injuries because he initiates a lot of contact." Guice has off-field concerns -- which McGinn notes -- but his toughness as a runner and ability to make plays in the passing game should see him go in the first 45 picks -- maybe even the back of the first if a team is convinced he can be an immediate contributor.

Source: Bob McGinn Football 

Apr 23 - 9:53 PM

What are his “off field concerns?”

I saw this kid on NFL Network the other day and came away wanting Tampa to draft him 7th just based on the interview he gave. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Grahamburn said:

I saw this kid on NFL Network the other day and came away wanting Tampa to draft him 7th just based on the interview he gave. 

Great question. 

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/Bolt/LSU-Tigers-NFL-Draft-Derrius-Guice-responds-to-scouts-off-the-field-issues-tweet-116809380

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grahamburn said:

His off field issues are (apparently) maturity related. Like he’s too silly. Can’t make that #### up.

There’s also the part where he has now back tracked that NFL execs were the ones who asked him if he was gay or if his mom was a prostitute at the combine. Personally, I completely believe that these questions were asked by execs but that he was later told to back off the story if he didn’t want to have problems in the NFL. As we know from the kneeling over the last few years and guys like Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid, team management has no problem black balling somebody they deem a problem. We’ll probably never know but I don’t have any issue with the kid, he seems genuine and hard working to me

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, gabes1919 said:

His off field issues are (apparently) maturity related. Like he’s too silly. Can’t make that #### up.

There’s also the part where he has now back tracked that NFL execs were the ones who asked him if he was gay or if his mom was a prostitute at the combine. Personally, I completely believe that these questions were asked by execs but that he was later told to back off the story if he didn’t want to have problems in the NFL. As we know from the kneeling over the last few years and guys like Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid, team management has no problem black balling somebody they deem a problem. We’ll probably never know but I don’t have any issue with the kid, he seems genuine and hard working to me

So, like Chris Cooley?

He's a 20 year old dude who's about to get paid millions for playing a game.  Who the hell cares if he's silly at times?  I kind of want these guys to be "silly"  Just show up to work hard at practice and game time. 

1 hour ago, gabes1919 said:

It’s funny because all it take is about 5 mins of watching Guice to see how much he loves playing football.  He may have a goofy personality but guy is all business when it comes to football.  

There are 2 issues. One, many NFL front offices are filled with cavemen and the media is looking for anything to generate a story. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zyphros said:

I heard that he likes fortnight and gaming too much, take him off the board

We don't need a bunch of gamer nerds in the NFL. We need warriors like John Lynch who can drink 34 mai tais in one sitting. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, -OZ- said:

So, like Chris Cooley?

He's a 20 year old dude who's about to get paid millions for playing a game.  Who the hell cares if he's silly at times?  I kind of want these guys to be "silly"  Just show up to work hard at practice and game time. 

No kidding. Get this guy on the Colts and him and Andrew Luck can speak play video games together, speak with British accents and compliment the opponents trying to tackle them.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Zyphros said:

I heard that he likes fortnight and gaming too much, take him off the board

I know you're joking but an NFL owner should much prefer the "nerd" sitting home playing video games then the "cool guy" at the clubs at 3:00 am.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, -OZ- said:

So, like Chris Cooley?

How about Cooley's team mate Cliton Portis for zaniness.  He would dress up in costume to give post game interviews and made it fun.

.https://deadspin.com/5936689/clinton-portis-coach-janky-spanky-sheriff-gonna-getcha-southeast-jerome-dolla-bill-dr-do-itch-big-bro-sweets-prime-minister-yah-mon-bud-foxx-coconut-jones-and-choo-choo-announce-their-nfl-retirements 

Clinton Portis, Coach Janky Spanky, Sheriff Gonna Getcha, Southeast Jerome, Dolla Bill, Dr. Do Itch Big, Bro Sweets, Prime Minister Yah Mon, Bud Foxx, Coconut Jones, And Choo-Choo All Announce Their NFL Retirements

images of Portis dressing up as characters

Clinton Portis, who last played through an injury-plagued year in 2010, will officially announce his retirement Thursday at a news conference...

...And, yes, there's the craziness. The costumes, the characters, 

1 hour ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Portis was the first guy who came to mind actually.

On 3/8/2018 at 6:30 PM, Soulfly3 said:

Out of curiousity - how bad does this hurt his draft stock when, after an investigation, it's revealed he lied about the questions being asked of him?

Interesting take, SF3, tell.me.more....

• Like 2

No one openly admitted too it from the teams? Strange. 

And the player that’s been getting trashed in the media for it, isn’t going to name names on the same week where teams decide if they are going to hire him? Never would’ve guessed that. 

I know the NFL didn’t even consider that this could be all wrapped before the draft. Sometimes things just work out perfect. Sounds like another excellent investigation by the NFL. 

• Like 1

If Guice did lie about the questions asked, he put the NFL in a bad light by saying they were breaking federal laws. Can't see any employer loving that.

On 3/8/2018 at 6:30 PM, Soulfly3 said:

Out of curiousity - how bad does this hurt his draft stock when, after an investigation, it's revealed he lied about the questions being asked of him?

March 8.

I nailed this HARD, and didn't even believe it myself.

If Indy doesn't take him coming up here he could fall for awhile

Man I have some work to do for 1.02 and 1.05. Not sure how I can draft this Guy this high now. 

Pray for the dead and the dead will pray for you, simply because they have nothing else to do.

2 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

missed flights, late for apts and an embarassing story about to leak.

good stuff, kid.

When did he miss flights and showed up late for appointments?

Just now, Soulfly3 said:

Mayock said it.

Gotchya. I’m unable to watch live.