Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Derrius Guice, Redskins

Bye bye Samaje perine.  Was nice knowing ya lol.  

Guice will be a beast in Washington.  Nice landing spot.  

• Like 1

Just now, Borden said:

NFC East has some nice RBs. 

Trudat.  Didn’t even think of that till you said that.  Zeke, Ajayi, saquon, guice.  Fire.  

19 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

Mayock said it.

I want to see these stories. All this behind the curtain hearsay, I need to see it because nothing about how this guy acts in public points to these issues

24 minutes ago, rickyg said:

Bye bye Samaje perine.  Was nice knowing ya lol.  

Guice will be a beast in Washington.  Nice landing spot.  

Guice and Chris Thompson is a fun combo.

Redskins selected LSU RB Derrius Guice with the No. 59 overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft.

A clear first-round talent, Guice slipped behind several inferior running backs because of nebulous off-field concerns. Ian Rapoport reports teams thought Guice show immaturity and was "high-maintenance" during the pre-draft process, and Mike Mayock suggested there is some kind of investigation going on behind the scenes. If those concerns turn out to be unfounded, however, Washington got an absolute steal. A physical, high-velocity runner with 4.49 jets, Guice’s playing style reminds of Zeke Elliott as an old-school, shoulder-lowering pile mover capable of wearing down a defense. He isn’t in Elliott’s passing-game league, although Guice did flash competence in limited blitz-pickup and receiving opportunities. Ultimately, Guice has the necessary tools to be a high-volume NFL workhorse.

Apr 27 - 9:01 PM

1 hour ago, Soulfly3 said:

missed flights, late for apts and an embarassing story about to leak.

good stuff, kid.

IF all of the rumors are true, Guice and Snyder deserve each other. 

• Like 2

Guice is starting to have a Cecil Collins feel to him...will be interesting to see how he pans out...

Read this article. I honestly think this was a freak turn of events and we accidentally got a huge steal for no reason. 

The Eagles were on the phone with him and ready to take him at 32 last night, and then the Ravens sent them an offer they couldn't refuse for the right to draft Lamar Jackson.

Then the rumors boiled up over night and it seems like teams all freaked themselves out over nothing assuming as a group that the further he fell, the worse his situation was and surely SOMEONE smart knew what was wrong with him. Almost exactly like that dumb movie Draft Day. 

http://amp.profootballweekly.com/2018/04/28/derrius-guice-waited-until-round-2-to-get-drafted-despite-a-team-calling-him-late-in-round-1/acwfkey/?__twitter_impression=true

Why did Philly pass on him in the 2nd round IF they would have taken him in the 1st?

6 minutes ago, metoo said:

Why did Philly pass on him in the 2nd round IF they would have taken him in the 1st?

It sounds like the rumors started swirling on day 2 to scare them off.

Haven't been following this story closely, but the apparently false claims about the combine interviews and the deep fall today don't paint a pretty picture. Sounds a bit like Tre Mason after he started to lose it.

4 hours ago, EBF said:

Haven't been following this story closely, but the apparently false claims about the combine interviews and the deep fall today don't paint a pretty picture. Sounds a bit like Tre Mason after he started to lose it.

I am still firmly in the camp that says the combine interview questions happened. What’s NFL going to do? Launch an investigation then come out to the public and say “yeah we looked into some of our executives and owners and it turns out the ask really misogynistic and homophobic questions of these prospects. You know, some of whom aren’t even 20 years old and are basically still children. We’re totally gone by to punish them”. Make no mistake, those questions happened and because he blew the whistle he got his name smeared around town and his name taken off some boards.

inhate the landing spot of the redskins for Guice, he won’t get to show if he has what it takes to be a 3 down guy. But the skins got a steal in a guy who is going to tear the NFL a new ####### for this incident

• Like 2

On 4/24/2018 at 11:19 AM, Bracie Smathers said:

On 4/24/2018 at 7:20 AM, -OZ- said:

So, like Chris Cooley?

He's a 20 year old dude who's about to get paid millions for playing a game.  Who the hell cares if he's silly at times?  I kind of want these guys to be "silly"  Just show up to work hard at practice and game time. 

Well this ended up as a nice coincidence. 

Still my #2 back. 

1 hour ago, -OZ- said:

Well this ended up as a nice coincidence. 

Still my #2 back. 

You like stay up late going to the club? Ok, we’ll draft you. You like staying up late playing fortnite? Well, you’re lazy and uncommitted. 

Did the combine interview questions happen? I hope someone records their interview next year for proof. I could absolutely see those questions being asked, if nothing else to see how easily he gets upset. It’s not ok, and I’m glad he said something if it’s true. And I could see him walking back on those comments once he realized it would hurt his draft stock. I think the whole thing is bizarre, but he landed in a spot where he should get opportunity. Now he can just play the game.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Snorkelson said:

You like stay up late going to the club? Ok, we’ll draft you. You like staying up late playing fortnite? Well, you’re lazy and uncommitted. 

Did the combine interview questions happen? I hope someone records their interview next year for proof. I could absolutely see those questions being asked, if nothing else to see how easily he gets upset. It’s not ok, and I’m glad he said something if it’s true. And I could see him walking back on those comments once he realized it would hurt his draft stock. I think the whole thing is bizarre, but he landed in a spot where he should get opportunity. Now he can just play the game.

None of this will keep him off of my fantasy team, he's a talented player. But I wouldn't want to coach him. You're better off avoided such players. 

If scouts asked him over the top questions, how about just get over it. Sticks and stones. Even Dez Bryant didn't make a scene about getting asked if his mom was a prostitute. 

Edited by cloppbeast

What was that big, embarrassing story about him that was supposed to break?  I missed it.

I still think he is #2 for Dynasty for now however that said understand there is a risk here. I read that there were some off-field issues that had not been reported while at LSU though that has not been confirmed to my knowledge. I believe that was even broadcasted during the draft and that he was late for interviews and or missed interviews altogether. He came out and said he was just himself during the interviews and he was not going to change for anyone and was grateful for being drafted by the Redskins knowing who he was as a person and player. Not an exact quote but along those lines.

To me, there is not enough to move him down my board if I had the # 2 pick in a Dynasty Rookie draft I don't so it's not a problem for me but it would not surprise me if there is an issue later on. He basically sent a message to the Redskins you knew what I was when you drafted me with that statement.

Edited by osubuckeyeman

6 minutes ago, RC94 said:

What was that big, embarrassing story about him that was supposed to break?  I missed it.

He got drafted after Kerryon Johnson. That's the embarrassing story.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, osubuckeyeman said:

I still think he is #2 for Dynasty for now however that said understand there is a risk here. I read that there were some off-field issues that had not been reported while at LSU though that has not been confirmed to my knowledge. I believe that was even broadcasted during the draft and that he was late for interviews and or missed interviews altogether. He came out and said he was just himself during the interviews and he was not going to change for anyone and was grateful for being drafted by the Redskins knowing who he was as a person and player. Not an exact quote but along those lines.

To me, there is not enough to move him down my board if I had the # 2 pick in a Dynasty Rookie draft I don't so it's not a problem for me but it would not surprise me if there is an issue later on. He basically sent a message to the Redskins you knew what I was when you drafted me with that statement.

"This team picked me the way that I am, and I really appreciate them for trusting me and giving me the opportunity. You are who you are. You can't change who you are for anyone. And I wouldn't change anything."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RC94 said:

That he got into an altercation with the Eagles staff during a visit. Everyone involved has denied it though. Sounds like well planted BS. 

7 hours ago, Snorkelson said:

:yes:

Weirdest "character issues" ever.

7 hours ago, cloppbeast said:

If scouts asked him over the top questions, how about just get over it. Sticks and stones. Even Dez Bryant didn't make a scene about getting asked if his mom was a prostitute. 

Uh, but didn't he?  Isn't that how we know about it?

It's not like Guice called everyone in for a press conference and then went on a rant about how "these injustices must stop!".  It came up in passing in a radio interview.

ETA: Just looked and that is similar to Dez's.  Are these really any different?

Guice: ‘’It was pretty crazy," Guice said in an interview on the SiriusXM NFL show Late Hits. "Some people are really trying to get in your head and test your reaction. ... I go in one room, and a team will ask me do I like men, just to see my reaction. I go in another room, they’ll try to bring up one of my family members or something and tell me, 'Hey, I heard your mom sells herself. How do you feel about that?’ "

Dez: Bryant told Yahoo Sports! of his interview. “They asked me if my mom’s a prostitute,” Bryant told Yahoo's Michael Silver. "No, my mom is not a prostitute. I got mad – really mad – but I didn’t show it. I got a lot of questions like that: Does she still do drugs? I sat and answered all of them.”

Edited by FreeBaGeL
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Uh, but didn't he?  Isn't that how we know about it?

It's not like Guice called everyone in for a press conference and then went on a rant about how "these injustices must stop!".  It came up in passing in a radio interview.

ETA: Just looked and that is similar to Dez's.  Are these really any different?

Guice: ‘’It was pretty crazy," Guice said in an interview on the SiriusXM NFL show Late Hits. "Some people are really trying to get in your head and test your reaction. ... I go in one room, and a team will ask me do I like men, just to see my reaction. I go in another room, they’ll try to bring up one of my family members or something and tell me, 'Hey, I heard your mom sells herself. How do you feel about that?’ "

Dez: Bryant told Yahoo Sports! of his interview. “They asked me if my mom’s a prostitute,” Bryant told Yahoo's Michael Silver. "No, my mom is not a prostitute. I got mad – really mad – but I didn’t show it. I got a lot of questions like that: Does she still do drugs? I sat and answered all of them.”

You sort of proved my point. Dez got mad but didn't show it. According to rumors fwiw, Derrius feuded with them. All this is hearsay anyway. 

On 4/28/2018 at 2:01 AM, EBF said:

Really?

7 minutes ago, cloppbeast said:

You sort of proved my point. Dez got mad but didn't show it. According to rumors fwiw, Derrius feuded with them. All this is hearsay anyway. 

Oh I misunderstood.  I thought you were saying Guice made a scene with the press/public in airing it all out.

Yes there are those rumors of him getting into a big argument with the Eagles so maybe he handled it worse in house.  On the flipside there are also rumors that Philly was about to select him at 32 before the trade offer came in and that the Guice fall didn't really start until day 2 when some info came out to teams that morning.  Hard to get a good read on it.

12 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Oh I misunderstood.  I thought you were saying Guice made a scene with the press/public in airing it all out.

Yes there are those rumors of him getting into a big argument with the Eagles so maybe he handled it worse in house.  On the flipside there are also rumors that Philly was about to select him at 32 before the trade offer came in and that the Guice fall didn't really start until day 2 when some info came out to teams that morning.  Hard to get a good read on it.

Then the Eagles didn't select him with 49.... hard to get a grasp on all this.

I can only take away that the NFL valued Guice as a late 2nd round pick, and character issues may or may not have had anything to do with it.

Still waiting for some gas mask bong video to come out. /sarcasm

Sounds like he didn't prepare for the most important job interviews of his life. That pre-draft interview was a slam dunk if he only would have said what he should have been rehearsing for months. Nope, freelanced it, and sounded like an imbecile that couldn't finish sentences. I could see how interviews with fortune 500 level employers could have gone extremely bad. Now he's labeled a lazy, no good, scumbag video game playing 20 year old. May have been why he had to change agents. He should have said what should have been coached and he'd be $5mil richer. 

Derrius Guice’s high school coach spills the beans on his behavior

BATON ROUGE, La. — As one of Derrius Guice’s high school football coaches, Gabe Fertitta is all too familiar with the type of trouble his talented former running back is capable of getting in to.

While Guice was slipping from the first round of this year’s NFL draft as reports surfaced about off-field behavior affecting his stock, Fertitta couldn’t help but think of the incident where it was clear the running back might be going down the wrong path.

“One of the biggest infractions,” Fertitta intoned ominously, “was when he had a mustache or some hair on his chin.”

Come again? Is this the New York Yankees?

“It’s a learning curve when he comes to Catholic and we have all these rules,” said Fertitta, the current Baton Rouge Catholic head coach who was Guice’s offensive coordinator. “You have to tuck in your shirt. Wear certain socks. You have to shave.”

The latter violation was the cardinal sin committed by Guice while at Catholic.

“I’ve had to deal with way more difficult [situations] as a high school coach,” Fertitta said. “Kids caught with drugs, drinking alcohol. Never happened with Derrius. Not one time.”

Finally, some light has been shed on the type of immature, high-maintenance behavior that was anonymously attributed to Guice as he toppled out of the first round before getting selected in the second round by the Washington Redskins. No wonder he’ll never play at Gillette Stadium.

What else do you have, Coach Fertitta?

“People have come out of the woodwork down here sharing stories people haven’t even heard about,” he said.

Oooh! It’s about time we got to the juicy stuff. Do tell.

“Like, ‘My kid noticed Derrius bowling and said hello, and he came over and bowled with him for 30 minutes.’ Or, ‘Derrius went out to a youth football game and threw the ball around with my kid and his teammates.’ That doesn’t get press.”

Hold up. So you’re telling me that … Derrius Guice is a good kid?

That’s not what I saw on the internet, man.

“Is he a perfect saint? Absolutely not,” Fertitta said. “Did he come into a meeting late when I was OC? Sure. Did we discipline him? Sure. I don’t see how he’s different from any kid who has needed structure.”

Guice was a little different. He needed more structure and attention than most in high school. He was only 6 years old when his father was murdered. On top of that, he was a fish out of water from a poor part of town attending a college prep school for Baton Rouge’s most well-heeled families. He may as well have been on a different planet.

“Just like any kid you have in high school, we definitely worked on instilling some accountability and discipline and stuff — as well as with about the other 70 kids we had on the team,” Fertitta said. “He responded to that stuff. It’s a kid who had no steady male discipline figure in his life.”

As Guice noted on his pro day, some teams were turned off by his heavy social media presence and seeming addiction to playing video games.

“I heard a guy say Derrius is chatty,” Fertitta said. “Is that a crime? His personality is out there. He’s not afraid to voice his opinion or say things on social media. I guess that turns some people off, but that’s just him.”

Believe it or not, there was even a time when Guice went Twitter silent at the insistence of then-Catholic head coach Dale Weiner.

“His senior year, Coach Weiner sat him down and said, ‘We need to slow down on social media stuff,’ and Derrius did it instantly. He did what Coach Weiner asked him to do — so much that when he opened his recruitment back up, he called Coach Weiner for permission to post it.”

Weiner and Fertitta were in Arlington, Texas, for the first round of the draft, watching helplessly as Guice waited for his name to be called. Fertitta said it was clear that Guice was disappointed, but that was gone the next morning.

Contrary to yet another untrue tweet stating that Guice had packed his bags and gone home Thursday night, he was actually having the time of his life on Friday morning.

“He was good,” Fertitta said. “He was out riding bikes around Dallas with buddies he graduated with from Catholic.”

Fertitta isn’t sure where all the anti-Guice buzz came from. He assumes it was fed to teams by agents trying to help their own clients leapfrog Guice.

“The NFL is a big business, and people make a lot of money from other people falling,” he noted.

Fertitta knows one thing for certain — Guice isn’t going to be held down by his first-round setback. As it turns out, he has too much character for that.

“He’s well-versed in adversity. It ain’t like this is the first time,” Fertitta said. “I expect him to keep rolling.”

• Like 4

People who are new to Washington probably have ties with the Russians. 

Skins got a steal and I’ll be excited to watch him play. HTTR

• Like 1

For my money, I’m betting that Indy was one of the teams that crossed the line with the questioning. They had 4 chances to pick him in the 2nd and didn’t, only to pick an rb with their next pick (top of the 4th). I think it comes down to this, teams thought he blew the whistle and some of those teams took it as reason to completely pull him from their draft board. If the Bucs and Lions thought they made the better picks at running back from a prospect stand point, then I got a bridge to sell them. Guice wasn’t even on their boards

27 minutes ago, gabes1919 said:

For my money, I’m betting that Indy was one of the teams that crossed the line with the questioning. They had 4 chances to pick him in the 2nd and didn’t, only to pick an rb with their next pick (top of the 4th). I think it comes down to this, teams thought he blew the whistle and some of those teams took it as reason to completely pull him from their draft board. If the Bucs and Lions thought they made the better picks at running back from a prospect stand point, then I got a bridge to sell them. Guice wasn’t even on their boards

I don't think Guice was ever on Deteoit's board. They have a very specific type of personality that they want- they are very big on culture. It doesn't mean they view Guice as a bad guy or anything, just maybe not the mature professional that they are looking for. 

On 4/28/2018 at 1:32 AM, FreeBaGeL said:

It sounds like the rumors started swirling on day 2 to scare them off.

This logic doesn't make sense.  According to reports, the Eagles were ready to draft him at #32 but then traded out.  Then the Eagles pass over him at #49 because they got scared off by rumors that Guice had bad interviews with the Eagles?  If any team would know the veracity of that particular rumor, wouldn't that team be the Eagles?  It seems illogical that the Eagles could get scared out of taking a player due to a rumor about them.

14 hours ago, Riffraff said:

Still waiting for some gas mask bong video to come out. /sarcasm

Sounds like he didn't prepare for the most important job interviews of his life. That pre-draft interview was a slam dunk if he only would have said what he should have been rehearsing for months. Nope, freelanced it, and sounded like an imbecile that couldn't finish sentences. I could see how interviews with fortune 500 level employers could have gone extremely bad. Now he's labeled a lazy, no good, scumbag video game playing 20 year old. May have been why he had to change agents. He should have said what should have been coached and he'd be $5mil richer. 

Why prep for a pre draft interview when you can slam a woman in the mouth and still get drafted where Guice went? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snotbubbles said:

This logic doesn't make sense.  According to reports, the Eagles were ready to draft him at #32 but then traded out.  Then the Eagles pass over him at #49 because they got scared off by rumors that Guice had bad interviews with the Eagles?  If any team would know the veracity of that particular rumor, wouldn't that team be the Eagles?  It seems illogical that the Eagles could get scared out of taking a player due to a rumor about them.

The rumor during day 2 was not that he had bad interviews with the Eagles. It was that there was a big TMZ report on Guice that was about to drop that would "embarrass any team that took him". This was reported by both LA Confora and Mayock. It was eventually denied by tmz, and then Guice was picked. 

I don't remember the source for the rumors that Philly was set to take him at 32 before the trade offer but then got scared off on day 2 due to the tmz rumor, it was posted in the draft thread and that thing is way too long to scour through. There seem to be more sources saying they just weren't interested in him in the first place so there's probably nothing to it. There are so many things swirling about we may never know what's really true. 

Redskins senior VP of player personnel Doug Williams said he is not worried about second-round RB Derrius Guice.

Williams seemed to shoot down rumors of off-field concerns. "For this kid, who doesn’t drink, doesn’t smoke, hasn’t been arrested, no failed drug tests," Williams said. "He’s a happy-go-lucky kid." Williams also said he grew up in the same area as Guice, so he understands what it took for him to get where he is today. It is looking like Washington got a steal late in the second round.

• Like 4

He will run angry with a chip on his shoulder. I have 2nd overall by a trade. I will seriously consider him.?

On 4/30/2018 at 10:28 AM, FreeBaGeL said:

The rumor during day 2 was not that he had bad interviews with the Eagles. It was that there was a big TMZ report on Guice that was about to drop that would "embarrass any team that took him". This was reported by both LA Confora and Mayock. It was eventually denied by tmz, and then Guice was picked. 

I don't remember the source for the rumors that Philly was set to take him at 32 before the trade offer but then got scared off on day 2 due to the tmz rumor, it was posted in the draft thread and that thing is way too long to scour through. There seem to be more sources saying they just weren't interested in him in the first place so there's probably nothing to it. There are so many things swirling about we may never know what's really true. 

Hard to believe that no one has brought up the idea of Snyder paying TMZ for the video

18 minutes ago, JetMaxx said:

Hard to believe that no one has brought up the idea of Snyder paying TMZ for the video

That's shady. Snyder wouldn't do that.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2018 at 6:56 AM, Snotbubbles said:

Exactly. Given that the Eagles didn’t take him at 49, the report that they were going to take him at 32 is most likely false.

13 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Exactly. Given that the Eagles didn’t take him at 49, the report that they were going to take him at 32 is most likely false.

The report speculates that the news that dropped Guice came out after the Eagles were up at 32, but before they picked at 49.  So at least within the confines of the rumor, it makes logical sense that they would have him off their board when they were picking at 49 even if they were about to take him when they were up at 32.  Of course that still doesn't mean there is any truth to it, there are so many rumors floating around about his drop.

Regardless, the rumor seemed to have gained enough traction during the early 2nd round of the draft that TMZ felt the need to deny it as Guice was sliding.  So whether or not there was any truth to it or whether or not teams gave it any credance, it appears there was some truth to the idea that the rumor was spreading at that specific time.  And soon after TMZ's denial, Guice was drafted.

Edited by FreeBaGeL