What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Portland, Oregon - Overrated or Underrated? (1 Viewer)

In a world where Meryl Streep is considered overrated, I don't know what to think anymore.

It can be both depending on where you are coming from and what you are looking for.  I've experienced a little of both over and under-ratedness since living here.

I've been here for 8 months now after living in Chicago for 25 years.  

Lotta preciousness out there, but i've always preferred Western precious to Eastern. The marvelous thing is that its such a great town to get out of. Without the rain, eeeeeeevvybody would live there.

Lotta preciousness out there, but i've always preferred Western precious to Eastern. The marvelous thing is that its such a great town to get out of. Without the rain, eeeeeeevvybody would live there.
This.

Friends just moved there last spring. LOVE it, but now they seem to be getting out of there quite often.

I know a pasty looking dude from there. He might stop by to give you an opinion. I think he still posts here. 

As a Seattle native, I have have nothing good to say about Portland.

(But I've been there a couple times in the last six months and have to admit that it is a pretty nice city.)

I'm not in Portland proper but love living in the area.  The impact of the rain is overrated IMO - winter's gray, gloomy, and cold in most of the US. 

On the other hand, I've never seen a major metropolitan region - that gets regular snow - less able to handle even a dusting of it on the roads.

Waterfront Blues Festival is a great time to visit Portland. Not sure I could take being there more than a few days, but it's a great place to visit. I heard they closed/relocated V.Q, :(  

Traffic is starting to become an issue.  If you move out here to work in Portland but plan to take advantage of the taxes by living in Washington be prepared for a very, very ####ty commute.

I really appreciate the laid back nature and how nice drivers are as compared to other places.  

I'm going to go against the grain here and say the food is a bit overrated and not as great as others make it out to be. :scared:

I would love to move there or Seattle for that matter.  California also is looking better now that they passed recreational.  I live in the midwest and I would love to experience living in a place that is, shall we say, less conservative.  People around here keep longing for the past while life passes them by.

I would love to move there or Seattle for that matter.  California also is looking better now that they passed recreational.  I live in the midwest and I would love to experience living in a place that is, shall we say, less conservative.  People around here keep longing for the past while life passes them by.
this was my mindset for the past few years.  finally got the opportunity to make it happen.  

Good luck. :thumbup:

this was my mindset for the past few years.  finally got the opportunity to make it happen.  

Good luck. :thumbup:
I'm very tempted, believe me.  Biggest issue is all my family is here, kids etc.  I just cant justify moving that far away from everyone I know.

I'm not in Portland proper but love living in the area.  The impact of the rain is overrated IMO - winter's gray, gloomy, and cold in most of the US. 

On the other hand, I've never seen a major metropolitan region - that gets regular snow - less able to handle even a dusting of it on the roads.
Come up to Seattle. Same thing with more people.

Waterfront Blues Festival is a great time to visit Portland. Not sure I could take being there more than a few days, but it's a great place to visit. I heard they closed/relocated V.Q, :(  
My niece and her husband both are employed by VQ.  She told me the owners got "an offer they could not refuse" from the People's Republic of Portland.  It is now just Q: https://www.facebook.com/Qrestaurantpdx/.  Outstanding food and great service.  Tip well. :)

I agree, it's both at times. The weather can get old at times for sure. Only so much gray sky and rain you can deal with. That being said, it's one of the top food cities in the country and I'd put the beer up there with any. More James Beard nominees here than you can shake a stick at (I believe six or seven this year?) 

Oh, and I'd put the music scene here better than any other city other than Austin. Yes, there are plenty of hipsters here, but you can get used to it after awhile.

People drive really slow here though, for the most part. Too many Prius and Volvo's going maybe, just maybe the speed limit. 

*please don't move here though, we don't need the additional traffic*

I like Seattle a lot.  I've never understood the complex many Portlanders have about it.

But I REALLY like making Oregon wine so here I am.  ;)
What is this complex you speak of? I've tried getting into Seattle, but just haven't found the experience that so many others have. The people seem a bit more abrasive up there, and unwilling to engage.

What is this complex you speak of? I've tried getting into Seattle, but just haven't found the experience that so many others have. The people seem a bit more abrasive up there, and unwilling to engage.
It's a bit hard to describe and maybe my use of "complex" is unfair.  What I read and hear is less about the people but more about what the city itself has to offer (attractions, restaurant scene, culture, etc.).  There's a tone I read and hear locally that often comes across as dismissive of Seattle (especially vis a vis Portland) and I don't understand why.  They're both great cities - I haven't seen the abrasiveness in the people that you have but have no reason to doubt what you've seen and heard.

It's a bit hard to describe and maybe my use of "complex" is unfair.  What I read and hear is less about the people but more about what the city itself has to offer (attractions, restaurant scene, culture, etc.).  There's a tone I read and hear locally that often comes across as dismissive of Seattle (especially vis a vis Portland) and I don't understand why.  They're both great cities - I haven't seen the abrasiveness in the people that you have but have no reason to doubt what you've seen and heard.
Yeah, I would agree they're both great cities, and probably suffer from a bit of sibling rivalry. I'm sure I've been guilty of laughing a bit when comparing the food and music scene from the two cities. Both cities can be enjoyed, probably more so by people who aren't from either. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Seattle a lot.  I've never understood the complex many Portlanders have about it.

But I REALLY like making Oregon wine so here I am.  ;)
I was talking about the snow and drivers - Seattle is comical when it snows. Actually love it because it's a great excuse to ditch the office.

Great wines in the NW. Seems like a cool profession to be in.

Yeah, I would agree their both great cities, and probably suffer from a bit of sibling rivalry. I'm sure I've been guilty of laughing a bit when comparing the food and music scene from the two cities. Both cities can be enjoyed, probably more so by people who aren't from either. 
I doubt a Seattlean would make that kind of grammar error.

I like Bend and Seattle better. Portland is fine but I hate the traffic, politicts, homeless problems, and fake outrage/protests.

I agree, it's both at times. The weather can get old at times for sure. Only so much gray sky and rain you can deal with. That being said, it's one of the top food cities in the country and I'd put the beer up there with any. More James Beard nominees here than you can shake a stick at (I believe six or seven this year?) 

Oh, and I'd put the music scene here better than any other city other than Austin. Yes, there are plenty of hipsters here, but you can get used to it after awhile.

People drive really slow here though, for the most part. Too many Prius and Volvo's going maybe, just maybe the speed limit. 

*please don't move here though, we don't need the additional traffic*
Not seeing the same music vibe you are.  Chicago blows this place away for music. Maybe I need to dig deeper

Historically, there is no comparison. 
Yes, the '90's and Jimi stick out like a sore thumb for Seattle, but for the last 20 years, I'd say it's been all Portland by a wide margin. Both have had some great bands. For every Mark Lanegan from the Seattle area, I'll give you Elliott Smith and M Ward from Portland.

Not seeing the same music vibe you are.  Chicago blows this place away for music. Maybe I need to dig deeper
All depends on genre and age of music. I'm thinking contemporary, singer song writers with an alternative edge (whatever that means anymore). You can go down to Mississippi Studios or Doug Fir about any day of the week and see a great act. Seattle gets the bigger acts for sure that might skip Portland, but for the smaller venues and performers, I'll take Portland any day of the week.

All depends on genre and age of music. I'm thinking contemporary, singer song writers with an alternative edge (whatever that means anymore). You can go down to Mississippi Studios or Doug Fir about any day of the week and see a great act. Seattle gets the bigger acts for sure that might skip Portland, but for the smaller venues and performers, I'll take Portland any day of the week.
We just moved a few blocks from Mississippi Studios.  I guess I need to get out more.  

being from the east coast, portland doesn't really get all the much hype.  i've been there visiting a friend before and liked it.  i'd say it's underrated. 

We just moved a few blocks from Mississippi Studios.  I guess I need to get out more.  
Wow, lucky you. Yeah, give it a shot. Best sound in town, and most intimate shows, as the place doesn't hold more than a couple hundred people. It's owned and designed by a dude who's spent a lot of time in the recording studio, and it shows.

Umm, Seattle is like exactly the same, if not worse, in most of those departments.
To each his own. I have lived in Seattle and currently in PDX. My view may be jilted as I work downtown. Some protest is always distrupting things, and I have to navigate through an ocean of homeless everyday.

being from the east coast, portland doesn't really get all the much hype.  i've been there visiting a friend before and liked it.  i'd say it's underrated. 
I'm originally from the east coast but live out west now.  It's weird that out here the vast majority of people I talk to have never even heard of Asheville.  As in, they didn't even know it was a real place.

To each his own. I have lived in Seattle and currently in PDX. My view may be jilted as I work downtown. Some protest is always distrupting things, and I have to navigate through an ocean of homeless everyday.
I think all of those issues have gotten progressively (play on words alert!) worse here in Seattle over the last several years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Bend and Seattle better. Portland is fine but I hate the traffic, politicts, homeless problems, and fake outrage/protests.
Wasn't a bad place when moved here 11 years ago as only traffic was a huge deal then off this list but place is a dumpster fire these days and these issues seem to be doubling each year.  Portland is certainly overrated.  

Users who are viewing this thread