What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Riding Lawn Mower shopping - What ya got? (1 Viewer)

offdee

Footballguy
Offshoot of the Snow Blower shopping thread, as that produced great info.

Purchasing a house with a 1/2 acre lot and more grass that we're wanting to use a walk behind for.   I'm not a fan at all of lawn work so looking for something that will get the job done quicker and painless as possible.   Fairly open and level front and back lawn area (slight gradual slope, but no major hills)

Wondering best brand, HP, options, etc to look for.   Willing to consider new or used off of Craigslist. 

I have a Cub Cadet LT1045.  I've had it for 8 years and still going strong.  You could go for zero turn, but I think that is overkill for a 1/2 acre.

I got a 46" craftsman from a sears outlet when I first moved into my 1.04 acre yard 5 years ago. (~$800) It's done well, extremely well for the price, but I would go a different way next time. 

Deere's are significantly better if bought from a Deere dealer, but you're paying for the name if you buy at a box store. My neighbor has a legit Deere and it's so much faster and smoother than my Craftsman. His is a 42" deck and I don't think I'll ever go below a 46" since I've had one. 

Buy a used commercial grade zero turn mower.  Laugh at your neighbors with Home Depot-quality riding mowers after you're in and out in 15 minutes.

Will you use it only for mowing? How about tilling a garden, snow blowing, pulling a wagon/spreader/sprayer, 3-point hitch? If you need a utility tractor I love my Kubota BX2200 with 60" mowing deck, 50" snowblower, etc. 

Just make sure it has hydrostatic drive. No shifting is better than sliced bread, and I love bread. 

If you really want a fun toy check out the Kubota BX22. Has a swivel seat with a front-end loader on one side and a bucket on the other.   :excited:

John Deere x324 48" deck, 4 wheel turn, hydro with 44" front snow blower attachement.  1.5 acre. 

Love this machine, won't have to buy another machine for some time. You can really tell the difference with the big box store mowers and the ones you buy through a dealer. 

One thing to think about is storage. Do you have space. 

52" craftsman.  It cuts the grass. Pulls the plug aerator and dethatcher.   Just change the oil every year and you'll be fine.   

10: Almost flawless and very rare. Could be a top model, (nationally amazing, the MENSA of rider mowers)

9: The hottest mower to own, The hottest mower anywhere (more locally amazing)

8: One of the most powerful and comfortable riders in town, one of the hottest mowers to own, (upper class of rider mowers)

7: Powerful and efficient rider in the neighborhood, on the back of trailers, at work, in apt building. Definitely efficient, but not tops locally.

6: Fairly efficient, no major flaws but maybe minor ones

5: Starting to be efficient, but certain qualities work in its favor. Nothing major, but minor problems are more common

4: Not efficient. Major flaws when starting up (gas guzzler, smokes a lot)

3: One of the uglier riders in the neighborhood, one of the uglier riders around town (lower class of ugly riders)

2: The ugliest rider in the neighborhood, the ugliest rider around town (couldn't even get into a garage)

1: Absolutely disgusting and hard to look at. Young children point and adults look away upon seeing (not one single redeeming quality)**

Don't buy a craftsman. Kohler makes their engines in China now. Rest of it is cheap crap too. I have a Husqvarna with a Kawasaki engine and it has the better built deck. It's a pretty good mower. 

Don't buy a craftsman. Kohler makes their engines in China now. Rest of it is cheap crap too. I have a Husqvarna with a Kawasaki engine and it has the better built deck. It's a pretty good mower. 
I have a 10 yr old Craftsman (made by Husqvarna with a 26hp 2 cylinder kohler engine) and it runs fine. 

ok. I honestly read that thread title thinking it was something about the lardos who ride around walmart in their motorized scooters/chairs... but in this instance a lawn mower- likely mowing up #### that had fallen onto the floor. or walmart children. 

given that- the level of disappointment I'm feeling right now is off the charts.

With only half an acre (and I imagine minus the house and driveway and such), you only have about a quarter of a acre of actual "lawn" to mow?  Even a smaller 42" mower deck could knock that out in under an hour - maybe even a half hour.  I have a 42" deck on my mower with well over an acre of "lawn", though I enjoy the time mowing (listening to podcasts while I do it).  If you're just going to use it for mowing, that should be a decent size.  If you want to use it for snow removal, hauling a trailer/cart/aerator around, or other stuff you might want to look a bit larger.  I've got a husqvarnia (sp?) with a kawasaki engine that's maybe 8+ years old and still runs fine.  It's been beat to hell, too, but still starts right up for me every time. 

Place I'm buying has a nice Husqvarna (42" deck with hydrostatic drive so no shifting).  I'm inquiring how old it is, but I'm guessing about 5 yrs old.    I inquired if they are interested in selling and he said "make me an offer".  Assuming all runs well, what would be a decent offer for this to have him consider, but yet get a good deal on it?

If I don't get this from them I will most definitely have to invest pretty immediately in a different rider (Craigslist or new).  We move in mid-March and a large lawn will want to have a rider from the start whenever cutting needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Cub Cadet LT1045.  I've had it for 8 years and still going strong.  You could go for zero turn, but I think that is overkill for a 1/2 acre.
Have the same one.  It's a couple years old and purchased during a time where the engine mattered apparently.  During my research it was advised to stay away from the Kohler motors and go Kawasaki.  

Place I'm buying has a nice Husqvarna (42" deck with hydrostatic drive so no shifting).  I'm inquiring how old it is, but I'm guessing about 5 yrs old.    I inquired if they are interested in selling and he said "make me an offer".  Assuming all runs well, what would be a decent offer for this to have him consider, but yet get a good deal on it?

If I don't get this from them I will most definitely have to invest pretty immediately in a different rider (Craigslist or new).  We move in mid-March and a large lawn will want to have a rider from the start whenever cutting needed.
$400

Is this a good deal or no?   Craigslist (one picture shown looked clean)

Husqvarna YTH2348LS Riding Mower - $900

2012 Husqvarna YTH2348 lawn tractor in like new condition.23HP Briggs&Stratton v-twin engine,with a foot operated automatic transmission and a 48" mower deck with only 188 hours on it. Needs nothing

Sounds pretty fair to me. Probably a new one that size run you a couple grand and I'm fairly sure Briggs and Stratton is made in America. 

1/2 acre? This sounds awfully lazy (unless of course you have a physical disability). Mowing the lawn is free exercise.

Is this a good deal or no?   Craigslist (one picture shown looked clean)

Husqvarna YTH2348LS Riding Mower - $900

2012 Husqvarna YTH2348 lawn tractor in like new condition.23HP Briggs&Stratton v-twin engine,with a foot operated automatic transmission and a 48" mower deck with only 188 hours on it. Needs nothing
Good deal, but likely too much tractor for you if you only have a half acre.  I've got a 42" mower and over a full acre of lawn and it works just fine - can finish everything in under an hour. 

Good deal, but likely too much tractor for you if you only have a half acre.  I've got a 42" mower and over a full acre of lawn and it works just fine - can finish everything in under an hour. 
yep, solid point. Was figuring that would be too big for what I need. Also worried about it fitting inside the shed doors.  The seller has a 42" deck in there now that they used .

you can get a solid 42" for half that or so
copied from earlier post...if have any thought. Appreciate it.

----

copied from earlier post...if have any thought. Appreciate it.

----

Anywhere from 300-900, honestly.  Depends on what model it is, how beat up it is, number of hours on it, what engine it has.  My Husqvarna 42" with hydrostatic is likely 10+ years old, but it would take $400 minimum, likely 500, for me to sell it.  I know how to work on it, it's never let me down, and it just does it job well. 

Anywhere from 300-900, honestly.  Depends on what model it is, how beat up it is, number of hours on it, what engine it has.  My Husqvarna 42" with hydrostatic is likely 10+ years old, but it would take $400 minimum, likely 500, for me to sell it.  I know how to work on it, it's never let me down, and it just does it job well. 
Got the owners manual of the one the seller said "make an offer on"

Husqvarna: YTH2242T (model: 917.279180).  Looks like a Briggs & Stratton engine

Google search pulls up "2006-05"...does this mean it's a 2006 model  (so 11 yrs old)  ?

Link to owner's manual:

http://www.husqvarna.com/ddoc/huso/huso2006_usen/huso2006_usen_o0602031_.pdf

Google search pulls up "2006-05"...does this mean it's a 2006 model  (so 11 yrs old)  ?

Link to owner's manual:

That may be my exact mower - but with a Briggs and Stratton engine rather than the (I believe) Kawasaki.  Yeah, that's about the model year mine is I believe.

That may be my exact mower - but with a Briggs and Stratton engine rather than the (I believe) Kawasaki.  Yeah, that's about the model year mine is I believe.
Knowing that, any new recommendations for what to offer where I'd get a decent deal but still not offfend them? 

Knowing that, any new recommendations for what to offer where I'd get a decent deal but still not offfend them? 
Somewhere around $350-400, depending on the condition of it.  Mine (again, similar model, similar age) has quite a bit of wear.  I popped the plastic housing out of one of the headlights, so it's duct-tapped in, and there is lots of wear on the mower deck itself.  The rubber/plastic grass clipping "shoot" is torn up pretty bad and stuff like that.  This is a 10+ year old mower we're talking about here, these things don't hold their value all that well. 

Link to owner's manual:

So mine is the yth1542xp - so a lower horsepower mower that still served me pretty well.  Don't know if you got this one or not, but they are fine machines.

Users who are viewing this thread