What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coaching 4-5yo soccer - what should I expect? (1 Viewer)

Quez

Footballguy
I got voluntold by my better half to coach my 4 yo kids soccer team at his church preschool.  Ideally, I wanted to be an assistant coach, but got thrust right into it.  I figured I'd be at the majority of practices anyhow, so why not...  My 4yo nephew is also on the team too.  It's going to be 4v4, which seems much more manageable than 7v7.  I think that's what my niece's I9 was that I went to.  It was chaos.  

Anyways, I'm looking for the super dad's of the FFA to give me all the tools I need to dominate my league!!!  It's a standard league.

at that age its about making it fun while still learning how to dribble and kick.

Sharks & Minnows
Red Light, Green Light, Any color Light
King of the Mountain

You arent worried about positions as much as keeping them engaged.  And Enjoy.

:lol:

I'll say this, just have fun with it.

I helped a buddy of mine coach his 8 year olds and 9 year olds boys basketball teams about a year ago and it was great.  Lots of teaching, learning, and actual coaching.

So, when my daughter started playing soccer here this year my wife thought it'd be great for me to volunteer as coach.  Lots more went into AYSO soccer coaching than did a city-run basketball league.  Lots more to deal with.  Paperwork, meetings, "bonanzas", picture days, raffles, etc.  All for 5 year olds.

We did 5 on 5.  All but one of our girls had prior soccer experience.  

I'd say just make sure practice and games are FUN.  Otherwise they will lose interest.  It will be like herding cats regardless of what you do, though.  I concentrated on the basics:  dribbling and shooting on goal.  You can mix in "passing" and stuff like throw-ins, but honestly there will be very little actual "passing" of the ball.  It's going to be a cloud of dust and one player emerging from the pack to dribble and kick the ball in the goal.

That's about all I got.  We just finished up a couple of months ago.  I don't think I'd do it again unless it was a little bit older.  It was a rewarding experience to some degree since I got to spend time with my kid and watch her get better, but it was frustrating as well.  

Good luck!

at that age its about making it fun while still learning how to dribble and kick.

Sharks & Minnows
Red Light, Green Light, Any color Light
King of the Mountain

You arent worried about positions as much as keeping them engaged.  And Enjoy.
Totally agree with this.  Look online for some fun "drills".  Red light/green light is great.  

Two-a-days to get ahead of the other team

If they can't juggle for at least 50 touches they should have to say 11 hail marrys 

121 diamond is the no brainer formation

Totally agree with this.  Look online for some fun "drills".  Red light/green light is great.  
My daughters first coach added other colors as well. 

Red = Stop with foot on the ball
Green = Dribble
Orange = Stop and sit on the ball
Pink = Back up with the ball
Purple = DANCE PARTY! he had all the girls stop and dance.  They loved it.

Boys will be a bit different then the girls but you get the idea.

They actually have some PDFs with practices planned.  I guess they plan the drills for you per practice.  I'll probably throw that crap out the window and play sharks and minnows every week instead.  As soon as I google what exactly that is.

Make it fun with quick drills that don't last too long.  Lot's of different games and drills that focus on the basics.  By basics, how to kick with instep instead of the toe and that is about it.  Keep practices shorter rather than  longer. Attention span goes fast.  As someone said earlier.....herding cats comes to mind.

They actually have some PDFs with practices planned.  I guess they plan the drills for you per practice.  I'll probably throw that crap out the window and play sharks and minnows every week instead.  As soon as I google what exactly that is.
I am sure their drills are fine, but you need to make them fun.

Sharks and Minnows you have everyone on the side of the rectangle with you in the middle.  They try to dribble from 1 side to the other and you try to get the ball away.  Each one that loses their ball becomes a shark.  This goes until there is one minnow left and is the winner.

Assessments for new players (4yo) is this week.  I guess they determine how to divide up the teams.  What's the shark move here?  Should I have my kid & nephew throw the tryouts in hopes of landing some stud 5yos?

All great suggestions in here.  Keep them moving, keep them engaged, keep them smiling.  Tired kids are better listeners.

Another game that they will love is one I call "Kick Coach" and it's as simple as it sounds.  Form a square, and have them try to kick the ball at you.  You can make this a lot of fun by falling down, rolling around, jumping out of the way...If they see you having fun, they will have fun too and that's key.  

Monkey in the middle also a great game.  And use Youtube for drill ideas - if you're a visual learner like me, Youtube is a great resource for drill/game ideas for micro soccer.

Wrap them all in bubble wrap.  And everyone's kid is a soccer star.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been coaching my now 4y/o for the last 3 seasons. We play 3v3. There are no formations, no goalies, and very little passing. This age is all about getting the kids to dribble, and not be scared to be on the field. Really hammer in the "no hands" and staying within the line, and dribbling in the right direction. I bought a crappy shirt that was the color of our jerseys, and put it on the opposing goal. So the kids know to always "dribble to the green shirt".

Set up a snack rotation early, so that each kid has to bring snacks for one game. After the games, have the parents line up for high-fives, or do a tunnel, or anything. 

By far the most important thing you need to focus on is just dribbling. Have them dribble around inside a grid to get used to dribbling within a bordered area.

Some of the drills that seem to work the best are:

Within the grid, while the kids are all dribbling, walk around yourself, and when you yell "go" they all have to stop and try to hit you with the ball. Come up with a funny way to reward the "winner" or whoever hits you. My brother happens to be the assistant coach, and I let the winner pick an animal and he has to imitate it. They think it's hilarious to make him imitate a bear, or an elephant etc.

Within the grid, while the kids are all dribbling, name a body part, and they have to stop dribbling and put that part on it. So you can randomly yell "right knee" and they all stop and put their knee on the ball. Seems to really help with control as they don't let the ball get too far in front of them.

Within the grid, tell them to dribble away from you, and randomly try to knock the ball away. They seem to love this one, as it's almost like keep away.

Scoring goals, lots of goals. Make a big deal of it, and they love scoring. Line them up at half-line and race to see who can score first. Lots of encouragement is necessary.

Also, dont be a dbag. Realize that there is little/no point in actually winning the game, both teams will walk away thinking they won, even if the scores was 12-2. So don't crowd the other team on their kickoffs. Pull your kids back, and let the other team pass it some, dribble a bit, etc. If the other coach is setting up a play, say from a free kick where he wants player X to pass to Y, let it happen. Don't even mark their players off set pieces, let the other team learn how to pass, too.

Get the parents involved in practice if the kids are out of control. Don't spend the whole time chasing one kid who isn't listening, make his parents do that while you focus on the kids that are listening. If there is a kid that is shy, pair them with their parent for passing drills. 

I bought a crappy shirt that was the color of our jerseys, and put it on the opposing goal. So the kids know to always "dribble to the green shirt".

Set up a snack rotation early, so that each kid has to bring snacks for one game. After the games, have the parents line up for high-fives, or do a tunnel, or anything. 
Luckily, the are giving me a jersey.  I'm not sure what the colors are yet.  This league doesn't seem to be organized that well, I still don't know the jersey colors or schedule.  My girl keeps blowing up the church lady running it, and I think she has gotten on her nerves already.  She apparently wants to buy my kid cleats that match, and buy outfits to wear that are team colors.  Really important stuff.

I'm a little concerned about her interaction with other parents. :unsure:  She will definitely be trying to plan all that orange slice / juice box stuff.

- at that age, you may not officially keep score, but the kids keep the score

- beware of the parents. yeah they know the score also

- don't be surprised if the goalie or a couple others sit down during play and look for clover in the grass

- you line them up in their positions, as soon as the first kick, they will all converge on the ball and be a big swarm

- enjoy!

And don't be surprised if more than half of the kids have no interest in actually going after the ball in a game setting. At that age, you will find a few kids that are go getters and aggressive, while half of the remaining are timid and kinda shuffle their feet and will kick the ball only once it gets to them and the other half having very little interest at all. The league my kid plays in has 1 hour long sessiions with 30 minutes being fun drills and the other 30 minutes of loose game play. 

I did this for two seasons.  I think @General Malaise sent me a nice primer or guide. 

Honestly, the key is not to expect much.  If you have half the team actually semi-understanding the basics of the game and the objectives by the end of the year you've succeeded.  Generally, several teams are going to have one or two players that are lightyears better than every other kid so if you don't get a team with one of them just expect to lose. 

I've coached the age group before. I can tell you some things not to do. Don't take it to seriously, don't yell at any kids, and don't get too overzealous. I was coaching older kids in football and helped out sometimes. Granted I live in Philly so the parents and other coaches I saw may be different then what you see, but you would be amazed at how some of these coaches are living vicariously through these kids. I guess 3 easy ones:

1. make it fun for the kids

2. encourage and support (and laugh at the idiots who cry about "PC nation". I am not saying give fake praise, but for some of these kids the anxiety of this stuff is crazy. let the kids know trying isn't important and if they don't succeed try again).

3. make sure all the kids get a chance to play. I remember some coaches trying to win games and you see kids rot on the bench. no reason at ages 4-5 you can't let them all go out there and just run around and play

I've coached the age group before. I can tell you some things not to do. Don't take it to seriously, don't yell at any kids, and don't get too overzealous. I was coaching older kids in football and helped out sometimes. Granted I live in Philly so the parents and other coaches I saw may be different then what you see, but you would be amazed at how some of these coaches are living vicariously through these kids. I guess 3 easy ones:

1. make it fun for the kids

2. encourage and support (and laugh at the idiots who cry about "PC nation". I am not saying give fake praise, but for some of these kids the anxiety of this stuff is crazy. let the kids know trying isn't important and if they don't succeed try again).

3. make sure all the kids get a chance to play. I remember some coaches trying to win games and you see kids rot on the bench. no reason at ages 4-5 you can't let them all go out there and just run around and play
I like these.  

We had a set rotation for kids for playing time.  We made it clear and followed it.  Parents seemed content with it. 

My 4 year old son loves soccer: he watches it on television with me whenever it is on, he is always begging me to take him to see the local USL team, he tells everyone he knows that he is a soccer player, he has slept with his new soccer ball every night since santa gave it to him, he has a full Neymar Brazil kit (%^&*@!) that is all he wants to wear in the summer.  Seriously he loves it.

But he has never played it.

I recently signed him up for an indoor clinic: he spent the majority of the time trying to play basketball and we only made it though 1 and a half of the lessons.   :lol:  

I like these.  

We had a set rotation for kids for playing time.  We made it clear and followed it.  Parents seemed content with it. 
Yep, we had teams made up of 6 kids but typically had 4 kids for each team out on the field at any given time. Each time a team scored, players subbed. Unless, there was an extended period of time without scoring then a break was called for subs and water.

PM me and remind me to send you some stuff. 

As others have said, its less a about soccer at this age and more about fun. 

expect at least 1 parent to be yelling at their kid the whole time, probably drunk even though the game is at 7am on a Sunday morning.

@Kafka I'm looking at you amigo, or maybe I'm looking in a mirror

Never coached but witnessed the good and bad between two season this past year

The good:

- Two coaches who worked well as a team. No they both weren't at every practice/game, but they both had the same ideas, and there was little/no downtime in practice. They kept it moving the entire hour. By doing this they really didn't let the kids have a chance to get out of control.

- They kept practices fun and lively. Yes there were a few things that were the same each week, but over half the time it was something new or a new spin on the same technique, and they never spent a ton of time doing anything (they had a good feel for when to move on or call a water break). For whatever reason they loved to chase the coaches around in a game of keep away (coaches dribbling/passing away from the kids).

- They genuinely cared and asked my 5yo who was playing for the first time if she was having fun and enjoyed playing soccer often. At the ice cream social at the end of the season they both expressed that as long as they are having fun, and learning a little then they've done their job.

- Games were typically 3v3 on two adjoining fields and the coaches would try to pair like-skills kids together so you didn't have that one kid who always had the ball while everyone else watched. I can see the downside in this, but at that age it got more kids involved which is the whole goal IMO.

The bad:

- Dude was clearly volunteered for the position. His assistant coach was never there, and if he was, was always late.

- He would literally look around at what the other teams were doing and mimic them. We 'discovered' sharks and minnows about 4 week in. The practices were the same each and every week, and you could tell the guy was exhausted when he showed up and just wanted to mail it in. Game were a three ring circus, coach on each field would sub in kids, and the other coach would almost immediately sub in the kids who were just coming off the field.

- To his credit he tried to get everyone involved, but two special needs kids, and a girl who clearly wanted nothing to do with the sport (literally refused to go into games) is a tough draw. Ended up feeling bad for the guy at the end of the season (sadly apparently he's been doing this for years). Love the effort, but some guys just don't have it.

Do you know anybody with a lot of cats? if so throw them in a room and try and hurd them all in  One Direction

If you have 8 on a team and four on field at a time, go with two "lineups" that are balanced skill wise.  We called ours team coke and team cola and they knew whose turn it was.  It's unlikely you will have any goalies.

For what it's worth, I have twins who were four when they tried U5 soccer.  They sat on the field and cried or wouldn't get off the bench.  Two years later signed them back up under U7 and they have loved it ever since.  Both have played competitive since 9 years old, now on U14.

Encourage parents of those kids that don't care for it yet that they may grow into it down the road and not read anything into it.  If a kid wants to sit, let them sit.  If you look for good times to put them in, at an "injury" to a teammate (which is pretty much any minor bump) may spark their level of commitment to having to get out there.  "Susie, if anyone gets hurt I'll need you to jump out there" or something like that.

I just finished coaching the same age this past November.  Theres been great advice here already.  One thing I will add, is to plan on 30 minutes of practice time.  Anytime I tried to go longer, the wheels fell off quick.  Its not a problem because they were still having fun, but you have to have infinite patience with them.

i've coached 4 & 5 year olds the last 3 years

we went undefeated 2 of those seasons.. and lost all of them in another.

what do you want to know? nutrition? post-game maintenance? motivational tactics?

I just finished coaching the same age this past November.  Theres been great advice here already.  One thing I will add, is to plan on 30 minutes of practice time.  Anytime I tried to go longer, the wheels fell off quick.  Its not a problem because they were still having fun, but you have to have infinite patience with them.
Agreed with this

Your patience will be tested.  But if you are having genuine and sometimes silly fun and showing excitement, they will follow suit

I haven't read the responses, but keep them moving with a ball at their feet.  No lines if possible.

A couple years ago  a ho I was dating ask me if I'd help by being an assistant coach for her kids 7 year old t-ball team. The main coach wasn't too concerned about winning so I eventually elbowed him to the side and took over play calling duties myself. 

I started out with fundamentals and planted a little seed for winning in all of them. The only thing that sucked is everyone had to play so I had to strategically position when I put the crappy kids into the game to maximize our chances of winning. There were some kids that cried and some that quit, but we won the league and parents were happy. I ended up dropping the kids mom, but the parents all wanted me back next season. I declined, but a part of me felt guilty for not shaping more winners. 

pretty easy stuff. my son has been through two seasons of soccer age 3 & 4. we have a technical coach assigned to teach the team and a volunteer parent coach that just assist the technical coach. all they do is have drills and make everything into a game the kids will enjoy. a lot of cones and kicking the ball and dribbling around the cones. kicking the ball to knock over the cones etc. eventually towards the end of the season they'll have 5on5 scrimmages which are pretty funny cause the kids end up running the wrong way . all you see is a pack of kids following one or two kids kicking the ball. trying my son out for tee ball this spring then soccer in the fall

Ok, Here are some ideas to get you rolling. Like everyone said, just keep it fun. Some of this stuff I lifted from others and changed it, some I made up. Use what you want, adapt what you dont like. The kids are so young that keeping their attention will be the biggest hurdle. Lolz at Ned and his Cryuff post. Good shtick

Before you play any of these games, you need to model how to do it. If you say dribble, some of them may start spitting out of their mouths. This should not be hard, there are plenty of great videos on youtube. You want to work up to something like this when they are a few years older https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwsUBXrq9UQ&feature=endscreen

Toy Story 3-  Have all the Players line up on the end line. Tell them they are toys from Toy Story. They need to get from one room to the next in the Nursery school with their soccer balls. But they need to do it quickly or Lots O Bear (YOU- the coach) will get them and tale their ball. Players run from the end line to the midfield trying to avoid Lots O Bear. If Lots O Bear gets their ball, they join Lots O Bear and try to get the ball from the other players (Using ONLY their feet. If they kick someone and not the ball, they have to sit out- Never had any issues with kids kicking others. Always went for the ball). 

Coaching Points as the season goes on- Use different parts of the feet to dribble the ball. Keep your head up. Keep ball close and change of speed

Candy Mountain- Set up a square with 4 cones. There will be 4 imaginary lines on the field. Each line represents a different Candy. Ask the kids what their favorite candy is and use that (Snickers, Milky Way, Crunch bar etc). At first, just have the players run from one line to another after you call out a candies name. There will be a lot of running into each other at first so make sure you remind them to keep their heads up. After a few minutes, introduce the ball as their candy bag. Tell them they are going to stuff their bags and they need to keep it as close to them as possible. 

Additions- As the year goes on, you can have them do something specific with the ball when you call out a candy (Stop ball with sole of foot, step over ball, cut back, run around ball)

Coaching Points- Change of direction and keeping your head up 

Jake and the Neverland Pirates- Create a Pirate ship on the field. It should look like a rectangle or a smaller football field. The objective is to have kids run from one endzone to another without being hit by a cannonball. 

Start by saying all hands on deck and the kids have to reply Aye Aye Captain. Coach tells the kids that he is Capt Hook and he is the cannonballer. The coach explains that the pirates have to run from one end to the other. Hook then says Pirates are you ready. The kids reply Arrrggggggg and Go. Coach starts serving balls at the kids feet from the sidelines. If the kid gets hit, they are now a cannonballer with Hook. The helpers are also great to help you regather the balls for the cannon. Last one standing is the winning pirate

Coaching Points- Visual Awareness, jumping, change of speed, change of direction

Shrek and Donkey- Start by asking the kids who their favorite big green ogre is. Most will say Shrek. Then ask them who Shreks best friend is. They will say Donkey. Tell them that they are going to be donkeys, but in order to be a donkey, they need a tail. Use a pinnie as Donkeys tail. Have each kid, or parent tuck their tail into the back of their shorts. Their shirt is not allowed to hang over their tail so tuck shirts in. Ask kids to turn around and shake their tails (they love that part). Tell them that Donkey is annoying Shrek (The coach) and he is trying to catch Donkeys tails. Donkeys are not allowed to run outside of the set field markers. On go, all donkeys will run away from shrek and try to be the last donkey with their tail still in. 

Adaptations- Can make all donkeys who are caught, stand still, but be able to pull out other donkey tails. But its important that they do not move. You can also introduce a ball to this activity for both Shrek and Donkey. You can emphasize that the you have to stay in the field by telling them the field is an island and if they leave the island, they will be in the water

Coaching Points- Use inside, outside and sole of foot when dribbling. Keep head up, change of speed and direction

Zoo Keeper- Have some pictures of animals on hand. Laminated if possible. The pictures need to be small enough to fit under cones. The coach holds the cards up and asks the players if they know what each animal is (dolphin, zebra, lion, elephant, kangaroo, monkey, giraffe etc) Then an assistant or coach with a second set places all the pictures under a cone. The kids are told that the ball is their truck. They need to dribble or drive their truck to each cone (that is spread out around the field) and then they need to pick up the cone to see what animal is under it. After they see which animal they went to, they need to make a sound that they animal makes as loud as they can (Lion- Rooooaaarrrr, elephant- elephant noise with their arms making a trunk etc). They then need to put the animal back under the cone and move on to a new cone. 

Progression- Now add a Dinosaur into the mix with a set base for all drivers to be safe from the dinosaur. The first player to uncover the Dino needs to yell out Dinosaur as loud as they can. All players need to stop what they are doing and return with their balls back to their safe base where the Dinosaur can not get them. Move the Dino around without the kids seeing. When they kids find the Dino 3 times, they need to defeat the Dino so it doesnt come back. All kids will need to kick their balls at the Dino (coach). When enough kids have hit you, you go down and pretend to be defeated. You can decide if all kids need to hit you or if 5 hits are enough. 

Users who are viewing this thread