What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New study out Millienials worse off than Boomers (1 Viewer)

I'm going to blame the system. It's basically designed to squeeze labor (millienials) to pay dividends  (boomers).

In my experience Millennials find a way to work less than their parents too.  You actually have to reign in their lunch breaks, nice job.  :hifive:

Here is a hint: no one ever had as good as Baby Boomers did and no one will probably ever have it that good.

Save the whining for your kickball game. 

Here is a hint: no one ever had as good as Baby Boomers did and no one will probably ever have it that good.

Save the whining for your kickball game. 
This stuff has significant consequences. We're having less children because of it. A lot less. Which screws up all kinds of things. There is no more spouses to join the workforce. At some point you just can't work any harder or anymore hours. Narcissistic baby boomers think they just made it happen. Did what they had to do but they had it much easier than their children. We should at least cut them a break on their student loans.

In my experience Millennials find a way to work less than their parents too.  You actually have to reign in their lunch breaks, nice job.  :hifive:
On average Boomers had longer breaks I guarantee you. There was a lot more unions back then and continuous improvement programs weren't even thought of yet. Hell we have GPS tracking devices on almost all commercial trucks now. If you stop at a random spot your boss wants to know why. 20 years ago guys were taking naps in their trucks on overtime. I think your anecdotal evidence is lacking...... 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm amazed at how many of my friends have been relying on their parents for significant support even into our mid-30's. We all went to good schools and had a ton of advantages. I have a really solid career, but I had to go to over 10-years of college and grad school, and still needed a lot of luck to get where I am.

Something is seriously dysfunctional with the education-workforce pathway. I'll be the first to point out that a lot of it could be avoided with people making better choices when it comes to choice of whether/where to go to college, and what to major in. But still. What good is it to blame it on whiny millenials when success becomes the exception, not the norm? We're all ####ed if the only ones who make it into the middle class are doing something uncommon that can't/won't be replicated on a large scale.

At the leadership onboarding for my new gig, the HR hiring presentation was focused on keeping Millienials.  Us Gen X'ers just keep our heads down and get #### done.  Boomers ####ed everything up and Milllienials are lazy.  I guess this country will remain ####ed up until the boomers all die or age out of politics and we X'ers fully take over. 

On average Boomers had longer breaks I guarantee you. There was a lot more unions back then and continuous improvement programs weren't even thought of yet. Hell we have GPS tracking devices on almost all commercial trucks now. If you stop at a random spot your boss wants to know why. 20 years ago guys were taking naps in their trucks on overtime. I think your anecdotal evidence is lacking...... 
Sure they did, I have lots of boomer family that worked for the Big 3. They said it was pretty typical for lunches to be 1-3 hours and involve several drinks. As a teacher, I can say that there is no doubt my job is 100x more serious and demanding than any teacher from 30 years ago. I am not saying all those demands make us better teachers necessarily, but there is just so much extra BS that teachers have to do now that wasn't required before. On top of that, the old timers (who are few and far between now) talk about how common it was for teachers to drink and smoke at work, often with the kids. The way the describe it, it sounds more like a party than a school. 

At the leadership onboarding for my new gig, the HR hiring presentation was focused on keeping Millienials.  Us Gen X'ers just keep our heads down and get #### done.  Boomers ####ed everything up and Milllienials are lazy.  I guess this country will remain ####ed up until the boomers all die or age out of politics and we X'ers fully take over. 
Except we're never taking over. Boomers gonna stay around forever until the bitter end at which Gen X will be so outnumbered by Millenials that stuff/ power / influence will go to them instead. It's like the Boomers are Queen Elizabeth, we're Prince Charles and Millenials are Prince William. 

Your generation will be passed over, but you will always have your Dave Matthews CDs. 

Check in on the thread about health care costs and see if you see a reason for this.

Employees are costing their employers more in health care costs.  All increases in compensation are going to that.  Include the increases in health insurance spending per employee and the numbers look much better. 

Also, household sizes are shrinking compared to the past, although the trend has probably bottomed out.  People get married much later than in generations past and their household income is more likely now to be a single worker rather than a pair of workers. This is most likely to be reflected in the incomes of younger people. https://www.statista.com/statistics/183648/average-size-of-households-in-the-us/

There is a "yes, but" to every statistic in the news these days.

I have no doubt that the trend is real, but it is not the crisis it seems on the surface.

Millenials issues are as much to do with earning as they are with spending. When boomers were coming of age they didn't have $80/mo cell phone bills... monthly Spotify, Hulu, Netflix, Dropbox, etc tabs. They didn't drink artisanal/craft beer or coffee. They generally spent less dining out. They traveled far less. 

They YOLO lifestyle is all fine and dandy, but it's not cheap. I'd wager the average millenial doesn't even have a detailed budget, let alone follow it.

take a little responsibility, kids... 

I used to work with a millennial who was proud of her independence because she lived on her own.  Meanwhile, she was in her early 30s and her parents still paid for her monthly cell phone bill and all of her car insurance. :lol:  

Millenials issues are as much to do with earning as they are with spending. When boomers were coming of age they didn't have $80/mo cell phone bills... monthly Spotify, Hulu, Netflix, Dropbox, etc tabs. They didn't drink artisanal/craft beer or coffee. They generally spent less dining out. They traveled far less. 

They YOLO lifestyle is all fine and dandy, but it's not cheap. I'd wager the average millenial doesn't even have a detailed budget, let alone follow it.

True and this trend has been going on for decades. My grandparents had 1 car,1 b/w TV, 1 radio, 1 phone and no cable or internet. My great grandparents didn't have any of those things. They washed their clothes by hand. 

Seems like competition has gotten greater. Put your head down and work harder/smarter than your peers. There are no participation trophies in the real world. And until mid-November, I didn't think there were safe spaces in the workplace. In my opinion, there are just as many opportunities to be successful if you're willing to put forth the effort. 

So just do like the baby boomers and sell out for the dollar? 
Please explain how Adam Sandler "sold out." He wasn't a graduate of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art doing Shakespeare at the Globe Theater. He was the ####### Lunch Lady.

Please explain how Adam Sandler "sold out." He wasn't a graduate of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art doing Shakespeare at the Globe Theater. He was the ####### Lunch Lady.
Well he did graduate from one of the finest art colleges in the country. I was mostly joking though. 

20% less and significantly higher student loan balances. Makes it much harder if not impossible to work yourself out of it.

20% less and significantly higher student loan balances. Makes it much harder if not impossible to work yourself out of it.
Millennials definitely got screwed on college.  College is more than twice as expensive as it was for boomers and the value of college has been watered down. People are paying much more for a lot less. 

I do really hate generational arguments. Boomers/Xers/Millenials. 

They always seem like too much induction, and little else. There's so much uniqueness in the world that the conditions are meant to be altered to suit the workforce and the people coming of age into adulthood always. 

In my inductive estimation, the Millenials I knew were more like the Me Generation than any other, which is probably a function of parental beliefs and smaller families. But again, each individual is an individual. 

One of the biggest problems with the Millenials is that they don't want to do physical labor.  They think they can go to a 4 year school, rack up thousands of debt and get a job that is going to pay high 5 to 6 figures right out of college and not have to work.

They need to start looking at the blue collar jobs available for less education and expense and pretty good pay.  I am a service manager at an auto dealership and I have technicians making $100K plus per year in small town USA, but it is a very physical job and you have to work for the $.  Electrial, plumbing and other blue collar jobs have a shortage right now in available workers and are paying good money to qualified individuals.

Millennials definitely got screwed on college.  College is more than twice as expensive as it was for boomers and the value of college has been watered down. People are paying much more for a lot less. 
They did. Administrative bloat is crazy. I paid $26,000 to go to one of the top schools in the country in 1997. It's now $60,000. You can't tell me that's inflation. 

It's bull####. 

People are doing great work in addressing the lack of vocational-agricultural and trade schools in our country. 

They're also doing great work in terms of credentialing. Even the most conservative among us are considering college to be superfluous when it comes to the intellectual trades, e.g., accounting, engineering, etc.  

Seems like competition has gotten greater. Put your head down and work harder/smarter than your peers. There are no participation trophies in the real world. And until mid-November, I didn't think there were safe spaces in the workplace. In my opinion, there are just as many opportunities to be successful if you're willing to put forth the effort. 
This is anecdotal so I fully realize that maybe the jobs just shifted to other areas but my grandfather got out of the navy and walked right into a job with the LAFD where he worked for roughly 25 years and then retired at like age 56. Then he traveled all over the country in his RV for the next 30 years living off a fat pension. I applied for a position at the local FD with an associates degree in Fire Science, that I got while working 50 hours a week at a manufacturing plant, about 20 years ago. I was one of 4000 applicants for 3 jobs.

I wil give them that. My law school is almost 3x as expensive as it was 20 years ago. Baffling. 

This is anecdotal so I fully realize that maybe the jobs just shifted to other areas but my grandfather got out of the navy and walked right into a job with the LAFD where he worked for roughly 25 years and then retired at like age 56. Then he traveled all over the country in his RV for the next 30 years living off a fat pension. I applied for a position at the local FD with an associates degree in Fire Science, that I got while working 50 hours a week at a manufacturing plant, about 20 years ago. I was one of 4000 applicants for 3 jobs.
Fire Departments are tough to get into, most I know have a pretty long waiting list. 

This thread got me down a rabbit hole of reading on some generational stuff.  I think the thoughts on Generation Z now is quite fascinating.  Where the Millennials seem to be similar to the Boomers, the Generation Z kids (born 1996-2010ish) are much more like those of us in Generation X.  And when I read this stuff, it actually makes a lot of sense, both in terms how Gen X folks are parenting these kids along with the events that have helped shape how they view things.  Here are a few links I read.

Here comes Gen Z

Gen Z -- The Anti-Millennial

Gen X raising Gen Z kids

This was also interesting on how Gen X parents of kids in school are viewed

I do really hate generational arguments. Boomers/Xers/Millenials. 

They always seem like too much induction, and little else. There's so much uniqueness in the world that the conditions are meant to be altered to suit the workforce and the people coming of age into adulthood always. 

In my inductive estimation, the Millenials I knew were more like the Me Generation than any other, which is probably a function of parental beliefs and smaller families. But again, each individual is an individual. 
They are silly arguments- I see them more as a just fun way to BS about the world. No way 80 million people born across the country over a 20 year period share some special unique traits. It's as silly as astrology.

I wil give them that. My law school is almost 3x as expensive as it was 20 years ago. Baffling. 
It is baffling. I got into some really good ones in the Midwest and South and they were $66,000 per year. Ridiculous. I went state and got an opportunity grant. I still wound up $100,000 in debt for living expenses.  

This thread got me down a rabbit hole of reading on some generational stuff.  I think the thoughts on Generation Z now is quite fascinating.  Where the Millennials seem to be similar to the Boomers, the Generation Z kids (born 1996-2010ish) are much more like those of us in Generation X.  And when I read this stuff, it actually makes a lot of sense, both in terms how Gen X folks are parenting these kids along with the events that have helped shape how they view things.  Here are a few links I read.

Here comes Gen Z

Gen X raising Gen Z kids

If we pause reality for a moment and fully put faith into this generational thing being real, I can tell you without a doubt GenZ is the best generation of human beings we have produced in awhile. As a high school teacher, the kids I have worked with over the last few years have been so good. They are polite, thoughtful, worldly, empathetic and motivated. 

Here comes Gen Z

Gen X raising Gen Z kids

Interesting. Notice how all the people -- save one -- in the Gen Z article in the NYT are women. Not one white male. That might define Gen Z, actually -- the first generation where it is expected that women lead. Just an observation.  

A bunch of "get off my lawn" going on. Incidentally that phrase will die off because Millennials won't be able to afford their own lawns.

They are silly arguments- I see them more as a just fun way to BS about the world. No way 80 million people born across the country over a 20 year period share some special unique traits. It's as silly as astrology.
I agree. Really. I'm sure demographers would disagree, but demographers never truly drive the culture, they can only hope to reflect it to sell products. 

It actually isn't, IMO.  In fact, it's a big reflection on how these kids are taught in schools and how they relate with peers in a learning and work setting.  There are definite differences in how to successfully get through and reach Millennials than people from Gen X.   You'll find exceptions in any kind of group, especially groups as large as millions of people, but there are definite common themes that exist.

Interesting. Notice how all the people -- save one -- in the Gen Z article in the NYT are women. Not one white male. That might define Gen Z, actually -- the first generation where it is expected that women lead. Just an observation.  
Females are definitely the leaders of the generation of kids where I teach. Student council, honor roll, club, etc. are all dominated by females. They are super motivated and incredibly mature. 

If we pause reality for a moment and fully put faith into this generational thing being real, I can tell you without a doubt GenZ is the best generation of human beings we have produced in awhile. As a high school teacher, the kids I have worked with over the last few years have been so good. They are polite, thoughtful, worldly, empathetic and motivated. 
I completely agree.  And it makes sense after reading some of those pieces.  In particular, the motivated and polite resonate and are two of the best traits a "generation" can possess.  It gives some hope.  Factor in that they seem to recognize that things won't just be given to them, and I like what I'm seeing.

Users who are viewing this thread