What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2017 Official Miami Dolphins*** Year Two Gase (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
Miami surprised a lot of folks and had a terrific 2016 season going 10-6 after a terrible 1-4 start. Many of the wins were against teams with losing records. The fact is Miami is likely going to be inferior to the Pats so in all likelihood they are playing for a WC spot. Even if they do well in the off season and draft you have to think Miami is less than a 30-40% chance of making the playoffs so I hope they use a long term approach. 1st thing I like to do is examine the cap and player contracts. Miami is about 43MM under the cap as is. They have 3 players leaving potentially via free agency that teams are going to look to sign. Kenny Stills being the most coveted due to his speed. LB-Kiko Alonzo has to be looked at and I believe Miami needs to sign him. Finally DE Andre Branch is due to hit the market, he is a potential hit free agent. Branch played for 3MM last year, he likely is looking for a 3-4 year deal and some gauranteed money. 

Let's start on offense. 

QB Ryan Tannehill 20MM...it is what it is. I would not ask him to take a pay cut this off season or even entertain trade offers. 

QB2 Matt Moore 2MM...great insurance, might need another year and some more guaranteed money tacked on. 

LT Branden Albert 10.6MM: It cost 3.5 to cut him and Miami needs him right now despite his terrible whiff almost getting Moore killed in the playoffs. If something falls in their lap but I don't see Albert here more than 1 more season.

LG L. Tunsil 3 MM: He is going to be the LT, will it be in 2017? Roll Albert to RT?

C Mike Pouncey: 9MM...doesn't seem to be a lot of dead cap if they cut him. He hasn't played 16 games total in 2 seasons since he signed for big money. I am not a fan nd it goes back to the Incognito Martin situation where his name was mentioned a few times as an instigator but nothing happened to him and Incognito was made the scapegoat. I'm sure Miami will bring him back in 2017 but the injuries have mounted up. That punk neck art work of his is grotesque and wouldn't be allowed in most jobs...MOP is that guy right now.

RG: K. Urbick under contract for about 1.5 MM but the free agency market for OG is supposed to be hot this off season. Miami needs to fill this spot. 

RT J.James 2.68 MM: Final Year of his rookie deal. 1st round pick not working out that well. Miami took him out of need, he was a 2nd-3rd round Grade and that's why you don't draft out of need. Forced to take him back half of the 1st. Doubt they extend him but that means they have to draft another OT...they have done it a lot taking OL in the 1st.

TE: Mystery right now. Dion Sims is a free agent, doubt they make a big offer there. 

WR1 Jarvis Landry 1MM...they need to extend him in the off season and not drag it out. Anything in the 7-8 range per year I'm good with. 10-12 not so much. I think if Landry is your top WR, you are gonna need a lot more. He is a possession WR, not a game changer. 

WR2 DeVante Parker 3MM...trade him, that's my opinion. I would like to see Jeffrey come down here from Chicago and become our WR1. Parker is a tease and he comes up small on the bigger stages so far. Some people love him so find that GM and recoup a 2nd or 3rd. 

WR3 L. Caroo: 750k...he didn't get many opps and only caught a handful of passes, not even. This is why we need to keep Stills.

Free Agent Kenny Stills: Hard to say but likely will command 8MM plus per year. Not sure 3/25MM is enough to keep him.

WR4/5 J.Grant 600k and rounds out the receivers nicely, good special teams and still learning. 

RB1 Jay Ajayi 675k...yep we got him cheap this year and next. Mean to ask him to be a 300 touch guy if you won't pay him. They can't do anything for him until 2018, need to take advantage of that. 

RB2 K.Drake 800k...yep he makes slightly more money. 

Franks and Darr are both under contract. 600k a piece, Miami will likely roll with that. 

Thats the offense, next post will be defense where Miami can do some cutting. On offense I believe they will keep most of it in tack. 

Last edited by a moderator:
DLine...

DT-Suh is set to make 19 MM...they are tied into his contract for a couple more years, its budgeted in, he isn't going anywhere.

DT-Earl Mitchell 4.5 MM and he played in 9 games, with Phillips going into Year 3, time to part ways here. 500k cap hit, bye bye.

DT-J.Philips 1.5 MM...they have to see if they want to either pay him in 2018 or find a trade partner at some point. He shows a lot of promise as a run plugging NT/DT, lot of athleticism for a big guy. 

DE-Mario Williams 10.5 MM...bye bye

DE-Cam Wake 7 MM...just put his name in the Ring of Honor now. 

DE-Dion Jordan 3.25 MM...cut him please. Total failure

DE Fede 700k...depth

If you cut Williams Mitchell and Jordan it pays for Suh's salary, why wouldn't you? None of those guys did anything substantial IMO.

LB Koa Miss 6.5 MM...he will be asked to take a pay cut or be cut...2.5MM dead cap space.

OLB Hewitt...depth that's it. We have almost nothing at LB. Jelani Jenkins can go his merry way. I would rather bring back Kiko and 5-6MM per year should get it done I hope. 

CB-Maxwell 8.5 MM...nothing happens to him this season but next year he jumps to 10.5 MM and no dead cap to release him or ask for a pay cut. He will be a Miami Corner in 2017, for sure if you ask me. 

CB-Howard 1.4 MM...he has lots to learn but I see some potential. Year 2, we grabbed him 2nd round I think in 2016. Tunsil, Alonzo, Maxwell and Howard all were results of the 2016 draft to maneuver and acquire. Overall I give Miami a B+ looks pretty solid if they can keep Alonzo. 

DB T. Lippet 660k, got plenty of game action towards the end of the year. Miami needs to upgrade their secondary. 

DB McCain 600k...will be fighting to make the roster. 

SS Rashad Jones 8MM...there are some names out there, Miami could make a move if they want here but I doubt it. 

FS Abdul Quddus 5MM...could use an upgrade here, avg at best IMO.

DB Walt Aikens 800k...depth

I think Miami can create 20MM more on defense with a few cuts and then use that to keep Stills plus extend Landry and maybe make a move for Alonzo. Miami will enter free agency with about 40-50MM to spend. Some of the high priced guys I said they keep could become casualties if they were sure they could upgrade thru free agency and need to make a cut in order to stay cap healthy. 

Would love to hear from Phins fans, what do you think?

Tight Ends are supposed to be decent in the draft this year.

TE, LB, DE seem to be our biggest needs. Middle to later round we can maybe find an OG or two for depth. An OT to push James would be great as well. 

I also think Miami needs to be ready to pounce on anything at the skills positions that looks juicy ala Dalvin Cook from FSU despite Ajayi having some success. Cook is a game changer. 

I also think Miami needs to be ready to pounce on anything at the skills positions that looks juicy ala Dalvin Cook from FSU despite Ajayi having some success. Cook is a game changer. 
I know you just can't help yourself when it comes to Ajayi, but he had a little more than some success. As you yourself stated, Miami started out 1-4 and then...what did they do? Oh yeah, they handed the ball to Ajayi & told him to carry the team, which he did to a 9-2 record. Sounds like that's a game changer. And no, I don't think Ajayi is as good as Cook, but Miami has much more serious needs than to add another high draft pick RB.

I know you just can't help yourself when it comes to Ajayi, but he had a little more than some success. As you yourself stated, Miami started out 1-4 and then...what did they do? Oh yeah, they handed the ball to Ajayi & told him to carry the team, which he did to a 9-2 record. Sounds like that's a game changer. And no, I don't think Ajayi is as good as Cook, but Miami has much more serious needs than to add another high draft pick RB.
Many weeks Ajayi didn't do much for whatever reason. I'm happy we have him going into next year. Foolish to stand pat with some major talent coming out. Ajayi can be part of a tandem but he didn't carry the Phins into the playoffs. I don't know many Phins fans who feel that way. If there is a hot trade market for him I would send him on his way while you can get something. Lamar Miller left for nothing. 

Think like the Pats. 

I agree with most of your assessment. On offense the only thing I would disagree on is I would keep Parker unless you have a #1 outside guy in hand and I don't think Jeffery is that answer. He is going to get overpaid and I don't want to be that team (ala Mike Wallace). He doesn't stay healthy and already has one suspension. He was a great #2 with Brandon Marshall there but I see him as a average to below average #1 that shows flashes. On the O-line I would love to move Albert to RT, Tunsil to LT and get Kevin Zeitler to plug into LG. I agree on Pouncey but it depends what other options we have, not sure there is a plug and play first round center in this draft ala Ryan kelly last year. OJ Howard and Jake Butt are both considered pro ready TE's but I believe both got hurt in the bowl games and aren't game changers to take in the 1st and will likely be gone until we pick in the 2nd round. I'm all for getting Stills back, he proved himself down the stretch.

On defense I agree on your cuts, time to drop some dead weight and use the money elsewhere. I want Alonso back and think we need to get him.  What about AJ Bouye at CB ?  Only 19 starts but looks like a #1 for Houston and is a Free Agent they likely won't tag.  In the draft Peppers would be a dream if he feel but maybe a Hooker from OSU ?

I still think Parker will be a WR1
It's cool, I hope he succeeds but I would rather roll the dice in the draft and trade him to recoup part of the 1st round pick.

I don't see the off field and in between plays mentality you need to be an elite WR in the NFL.

So thoughts on the moves so far ?  

- Resigned Stills at what seems like a bit of a home team discount from the numbers that were being mentioned.

- Extend Reshad Jones, if he is back fully healthy this is a good move.

- Tender Kiko Alonso and Damian Williams, Kiko likely moves to WLB and surpassed my expectations last year. Williams is a solid veteran backup.

- Sign Lawrence Timmons, I like that it is only a 2 year deal for an aging player but one that should help our LB corp none the less and bring some leadership. Guessing he starts at MLB.

- Trade for Julius Thomas, from one injury riddled TE to the next. He does know Gase's system and has been huge in it before but I wonder if he can actually stay healthy.

- Sign Nate Allen, one year deal so i guess it is fine. Living in Eagle country my only memories of him are everyone complaining how horrible he was when he was here. but again a nice job of keeping the contract short.

- Sign Ted Larsen, don't know much about him other then what you read but sounds like a solid guy who can play where needed on the interior of the line.

- Trade for William Hayes, well he will make interviews more interesting for sure. For what they gave up it seems like a decent add to the DL rotation.

- Sign Anthony Fasano, guessing that means Dion Sims is gone. Fasano becomes the #2 TE and main blocking TE and finishes out his career in Miami where it started.

Thomas might be a bit of a swing for the fences but the rest seem reasonable, solid upgrades and on decent contracts.

I'm more meh on these moves than I probably should be.  Hard to live in the shadows of the Patriots...

Some decent starters on good contracts.  The Hayes deal is just a very nice piece of business.  Timmons will fit in very well. 

Clearly need a shot of youth on the DL in the draft.  Still need another starter at Guard and need to get better at DB. 

I don't think the free agents available were all that good. Teams generally do not let good players become free agents. So it should be pretty much meh for every team who they signed. The free agents are all over paid because the salary cap keeps going up and an average player as a free agent is one of the better free agents available. There are some interesting ones of course but generally the free agent group did not consist of high impact players.

Stills is a good player and played well in this offense last season, so I see that as a positive for the offense and the team. If Parker can develop into the player he is capable of being, Stills will be a strong WR 3. If he doesn't Stills can be a good WR 2.

Jones was a critical loss to the defense. Their run defense in particular should be much improved if he is healthy all year.

Xavien Howard going into his second season should improve and give them a solid cover guy on the outside. I wonder if Howard can play slot corner too?

Damien Williams seemed to fill a move TE/FB  role in the offense. He is a well rounded player who can help in a bunch of areas.

Timmons while older now has been good in coverage as well. So I can see him and Alonzo doing well as the Dolphins two main LB in nickle and other subpackages.

Nate Allen from the Raiders seems like a depth move. They do need a starter, and preferably a free safety type with range to compliment Reshad Jones, who is more of a strong safety. I don't know much about Allen, here is an article talking about him from the Raiders perspective. 

William Hayes is 31 years old now, but he has been perhaps the best DE the Rams had healthy the last couple seasons because Quinn has missed about half of his games ,He benefits from the great defensive tackle play the Rams had, but he should see some similar one on one match ups with Suh and Wake drawing a lot of attention. I am a bit surprised the Rams let him go.

I don't know much about Ted Larson, they do need some guards though. Tunsil is the only lineman that I think is set. Pouncey is great when he is healthy (although I think a bit over rated) but he has been injured a lot. This isn't a very good draft for offensive linemen and they usually take a year (sometimes more) before they are really ready to play at the NFL level. Especially the lower drafted linemen. So better to try to address that with a free agent I think, where the team knows more what they are getting.

Fasano is a well rounded TE. Not much of a threat as a receiver but he can move the chains and block. I think Sims is a much better player, but I guess other teams did too and so he got paid. $6 million a year over 3 years for the Bears. Some of the blocks I saw Sims make, I think he earned it. Would have been a nice player to keep. The Dolphins save about $3 million in cap space going with Fasano instead.

If anyone can get the best out Julius Thomas I think Gase is the guy to do it. Too bad Ryan Tannehill doesn't read defenses as well as Peyton Manning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sims is a good blocker but never was going to be good enough to be a significant part of the passing game.  I like him, but that is a lot for a blocking TE.

Love the risk taking on Julius though.

I think it is a bummer that they didn't pounce on Zuttah before the 49ers. I don't have any expertise on linemen or how they fit, but it seems like a guy who has been a solid starter at C and G would have been worth adding for a move back a few spots later in the draft. He has no dead money in 2018, so it probably would have resulted in a 1 year deal at $4.7m (based on Spotrac numbers).

IMO, Miami was not as good as their record indicated. They were 9-1 against teams with 7 or fewer wins, winning by an average score of 26-22. But they were 1-6 against teams with 8 or more wins, losing by an average score of 27-16. Every year is different, but their schedule includes 9 games against teams that had 8 or more wins in 2016. MIA may seem their team improve on the field but could see their record slip and miss the playoffs. I get the sens that this is a 7 or 8 win team in 2017, but it's a long way until the season starts and they could still add some productive pieces.

Glad Poe is not in the NFC East, not that it matters for how terrible my Jets are.
But Miami should not have let him leave the building. Poe and Suh? UGLY. You need Poe if you have to go up against Brady twice a year.

Glad Poe is not in the NFC East, not that it matters for how terrible my Jets are.
But Miami should not have let him leave the building. Poe and Suh? UGLY. You need Poe if you have to go up against Brady twice a year.
Oddly enough, these two haven't done much against NE to date. Suh has 1.5 sacks and 16 tackles in 6 games against NE. Poe has only 1 tackle in 2 games against the Pats.

I do think some of the Dolphins wins were a bit smoke and mirrors. The offense became very conservative, which is unlike what Gase has done in the past. I think Gase deserves some credit for changing the game plan to fit what his personnel was capable of. They needed to slow down the game to help out their defense.

The result was the Dolphins running the fewest number of offensive plays in 2016. It did enable them to win some games that perhaps another strategy such as passing the ball more would not have.

It is a kind of situation where I could see Miami becoming a better overall team in 2017 but that improvement perhaps not showing up in the win loss column. I do expect Gase to open up the offense some more. That could mean more turnovers too though and perhaps fewer wins.

Well where do the Phins go at 22 ? Hasson Riddick seemed to be an early name mentioned but he seems to be on the rise and linked to the Colts now. David Njoku gets metioned but I think that is the Miami homer writers, not saying he won't be a good pick at 22 but I think they give Thomas the chance to regain his form with Gase this year and TE isn't a pressing need. OL seems to be the consensus, Forest Lamp the most mentioned name. I have only seen one writer mention Jabrill Peppers, if he is there that is a guy you take in my opinion because he has the ability to be game changing and you don't get that often at the 22nd pick.

Cautiously optimistic about this team this season.  I know they were not as good as their record last year, but I think that the year in Gase's system, and a little perceived stability in the coaching staff will go a long way toward building up some confidence in the locker room.  Also liked seeing them sign and keep their own, rather than letting good players walk and trying to patch the holes.  In fact, it was nice to see some players take what appeared to be hometown discounts, and actually want to remain in Miami - which has not been the case at all in recent years...or decades.  

In the mock draft we did I selected Evan Engram for the Dolphins at pick 22. I think I have done a pretty good job of not catching rookie fever in 2017 with the exception of Engram who I absolutely love.

Maybe not as much of a need for Miami due to Jarvis Landry, I just thought Engram was the BPA. Njoku would fit as well.

While I think Gase can get the best out of Julius Thomas, I'm not sure how much he has left. Dion Sims made a lot of good blocks last year that I think will be missed.

If Lamp is there that would be a great pick.

I had Miami drafting Kevin King in the second round, but he will not be there in the NFL draft based on recent mocks I have seen. He might be worth considering at pick 22. I think this is the Dolphins greatest need, defensive backs and linebackers.

Zach Cunningham is a good coverage linebacker who might be worth the 22nd pick also. Not sue he will be there. I like him a bit more than Riddick.

Seeing a lot of talk about Michigan State DT Malik McDowell but other then Miami he doesn't seem projected in the first round, I never like that. Taco Charleton is another name that I keep seeing pop up and one that does seem right around that area of the draft. I'd still love Peppers because he is a baller but I could live with a LB like Cunningham or a CB like Humphrey or King.  Watt seems to come up in some mocks as well but he seems more like a 3-4 OLB. 

I was just reading earlier that the depth of the DT in this draft class is pretty poor. McDowell seems like the best interior pass rusher of this class. My favorite team is in need of a DT who can rush the passer and McDowell seems like the best option. He likely is going to be a 1st round pick.

There are questions about his motor and consistency otherwise I think he would be an obvious high pick in this draft.

On the flip side edge rushers are perhaps the deepest and most talented group and some good players should fall to later rounds at that position. 

That said I think Miami has a pretty good defensive line as it is and greater needs in the back seven. Corners and safeties are also strong groups this year. The linebackers are harder to find from this draft and it is a shallow group, so it will be harder to fill this need without overpaying a bit.

Charles Harris was the pick.  Projects as a very similar to Wake type of player.  Not a position of immediate need, but they did need to get a DE in this draft due to the age of current crew. 

Seems like the staff has loved this guy for a while.

What do we think?

Foster and Peppers are the only guys last night I really wanted to take a shot on at the spot.  Question marks with both, but game-changers

Overall, I think it was a solid draft.  Clearly the mentality of this team approaches the draft is a bit different: Gase and Grier isn't looking for players here to fit a need as much good talent he thinks can develop instead of primarily at positions of heavy need.  Too soon to tell how good they are at evaluating and developing talent

Raekwon is really the guy that will be counted on to produce early in 2017.  Joining Timmons and Alonso means this linebacking unit projects to be much improved.

Asiata is a guy I would have been cool with in the 3rd.  Getting him in the 5th is great value.  He's 25 and neither guard has a safe starting spot right now.  Something to watch

@Anarchy99 and @Biabreakable:  Your assessments above are pretty good.  I expect to see an improved team but repeating 10 wins or a playoff birth is at the very higher end of outcomes with this schedule.  One point to remember is that last year's team was decimated in the secondary with injures.  If that group stays healthy (including 8 games of McDonald)

In a lot of ways I'm just glad Miami has a coach that seems to get it finally and the front office isn't doing these yearly free-agent bonanzas.  Maybe their finally trying to build the right way after all these ####ty years

It just wasnt a very discussion-worthy draft. Not saying it wasnt a good draft - just completely unsexy.  Not really much to be said.  We had to beef up the D, and we drafted accordingly.  Sounds like we got a "nasty #####" guard, which is cool.

Very encouraging article about Tannehill.  Seems to be a growing sense that he is ready to break out.  Had a nice season in 16...looking for a possible top 10 season in 17.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article148196174.html
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but the Dolphins have essentially been a .500 team with Tannehill (actually a little worse than that). Yeah, I get it, lots of different coordinators, systems, personnel changes, and bad coaching contributed to that.

Looking closer at last season, he wasn't anywhere near as efficient against better defenses.

In 5 games against Top 10 scoring defenses (NE, SEA, BAL, PIT, CIN):
116 for 171 (67.8%), 1240 passing yards (248 yds/gm), 4 TD, 6 INT, 7.25 YPA, 82 passer rating

In 8 games against anyone else:
145 for 218 (66.5%) , 1755 passing yards (219 yds/gm), 15 TD, 6 INT, 8.05 YPA, 102.5 passer rating

This year, the AFC East plays a tougher schedule (at least on paper). Last year, they got the NFC West (SEA and pretty much no one else . . . 24 total wins in the division) and the AFC North (PIT and three teams that weren't that great last year . . . 26.5 total wins in the division). This year, they get the NFC South (33 total wins in the division last year) and the AFC West (38 total wins in the division last season).

Maybe Tannehill will start making bigger strides instead of baby steps moving forward. I still think the Dolphins beat up on inferior teams last year but got manhandled by better opponents. If that trend continues, the Dolphins could slip back to 6-10. Their schedule is really tough this year.

Home games: TB, NO, TEN, NYJ, OAK, DEN, NE, BUF
Road games: LAC, NYJ, ATL, BAL, CAR, NE, BUF, KC

Off the top, I would guess they go 2-2 against TB, NO, TEN, and DEN, lose to NE and OAK, and beat NYJ and BUF. So 4-4 at home.
Road wins against LAC and NYJ, 1-1 against BAL and CAR, and losses to ATL, NE, BUF, and KC. So 3-5 on the road.
That would make them 7-9 on the season. Getting a win against NE, @ NE, OAK, @ KC, @ ATL will be tough. Maybe they can do better than 3-4 against TB, NO, TEN, DEN, @ BAL, @ CAR, @  BUF. I suspect come the end of the season they will have played a TON of playoff teams.

Huh the Dolphins official site has changed quite a bit since last I visited there.

State Of The Offense With Clyde Christensen

This isn't new and I have already read a bunch of blurbs that came out of this.

One thing that Clive talks about at the end of the conference is how the Dolphins did well in a lot of efficiency metrics, they just didn't run enough offensive plays. He goes on to say that is their goal, to add another 200 plays to the offense over the course of the season. To use up tempo and reduce some of the penalties and other mistakes. To stay on the field longer.

The Dolphins ran the fewest number of plays in 2016 at 913. The average number of plays in 2016 was 1023. Adding 200 plays would mean they were in the top 10 in that category. It would be a big change. 

It is nice to hear him state in clear language that this is their goal for the 2017 season.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but the Dolphins have essentially been a .500 team with Tannehill (actually a little worse than that). Yeah, I get it, lots of different coordinators, systems, personnel changes, and bad coaching contributed to that.

Looking closer at last season, he wasn't anywhere near as efficient against better defenses.

In 5 games against Top 10 scoring defenses (NE, SEA, BAL, PIT, CIN):
116 for 171 (67.8%), 1240 passing yards (248 yds/gm), 4 TD, 6 INT, 7.25 YPA, 82 passer rating

In 8 games against anyone else:
145 for 218 (66.5%) , 1755 passing yards (219 yds/gm), 15 TD, 6 INT, 8.05 YPA, 102.5 passer rating
An alternative thought:  The games against NE, SEA, and CIN were all in the first 4 weeks when the team as a whole struggled in all phases of the game.  The BAL game aside, you saw a lot of improvement everywhere.

The schedule will be much tougher though, so I agree with the post overall.  Likely near .500 next year, but the team is getting better. Gase is building

Christensen Breaks Down The Offense

Always fun to listen to.

He talks a long time about the up tempo offense. Says that Jay Cutler is good at running the offense, but it is still a work in progress and an area they are focused on.

The Dolphins ran 68 plays in the first game which is on pace for 1088 total plays over 16 games.

SportsCenter (@SportsCenter)

57 mins ago - View on Twitter

Breaking: Dolphins OL coach Chris Foerster says he’s resigning after video surfaced Sunday night of him snorting white powder off a table

:lmao:  

It is really difficult to remain loyal to this team.

Maybe we can lose out this year and draft Barkley...and then ruin his career.

so Dolphins fans, Drake or Williams?
Pure speculation, but I think this is a sign that Gase has been just chomping at the bit to turn this into a 70/30 pass/run team...which is so dangerous with bad QBs and a horrid OL, but now he also has no RBs, and I think that's what he likes to do.  I don't think either has much value, and I think it will be a timeshare.  If Ajayi had little value and he had the backfield to himself and is a better player than both of these guys, I don't see much value in either one.  I'd let others use their waiver money or priority on them.  This offense just went from putrid to whatever is a lot worse than putrid.

It is really difficult to remain loyal to this team.

Maybe we can lose out this year and draft Barkley...and then ruin his career.
Just a gut punch.  A Pro Bowl running back halfway through his 3rd season being dealt for a 4th round pick.  Rumors Landry may go too.

:kicksrock:  

Gase crapped on the whole team instead of tweaking his scheme and now is unloading talent for pennies on the dollar. I don't get this...

so Dolphins fans, Drake or Williams?
I'm not a Dolphins fan but I think your best bet for an add would be Drake. Just don't expect much as Chuck says above.

Its really hard to compare the two RB because its such a small sample size, but Drake did have 5.4 ypc on 33 rushing attempts last season. The Dolphins were mixing him in a running back by competition early last season after Foster went down. 

Here is Drakes game logs.

9 rushing attempts for 37 yards vs Cleveland in game 3 last year isn't bad.

Drake did lose the RBBC to Ajayi last year and so was not used very much after this. He lost to Jay for a reason, even though the whole time Gase did not seem to want to give the job to Ajayi. For example Drakes TD in game two last year was after Jay had run them close to the goal line and yanked Ajayi from the game, giving the opportunity to Drake instead. As I recall Dion Sims their TE had a GREAT block on the play which sprung Drake. Drake is fast if you give him blocking. The block was so good that most RB would be able to score there though. I think Wiliams had a TD with similarly great blocking as well on another play I recall.

Drake has 75% catch rate, so that is good. Again very small sample size, but he can catch the ball. Drakes yards per reception is below average, even worse than Jay Ajayi in that category, who is also below average.

Damien Williams has been with the team for 4 seasons. Here are his game logs. Williams has 3.3 ypc on 328 rushing attempts. That is not very good, and while the sample size is very sporadic, that is enough opportunities I think to realize that Williams is not that good running the ball, especially when you consider a lot of his opportunities have been on 3rd downs. Williams does have better yards per reception numbers than either Drake or Ajayi, but part of that is because of him having more opportunities, and generally better situation for those opportunities as well. Williams played a bit of wing back and FB for Miami last year and would be forgotten in coverage by the opposing defense at times, leading to some bigger plays by him as a receiver.

Putting it all together Drake seems like the better option who at least has more upside than Williams does. Remains to be seen however how snaps and opportunities will be split between the two RB moving forward though.

Users who are viewing this thread