What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFCCG: Packers at Falcons Discussion (1 Viewer)

Tough to pick.  Ryan had an amazing year but Rodgers is on fire.  Neither team really great on defense.  Just sit back and watch.

Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay are on a major run, but that Atlanta offense has so many ways to move the ball.  Seeing what the Falcons did to a very sound Seahawks defensive unit doesn't bode well for one as unreliable as the Packers.  Maybe Rodgers can drag his team to the Super Bowl, but this Falcons offense just seems unlikely to be stopped - at least by the Packers banged-up defense.

Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay are on a major run, but that Atlanta offense has so many ways to move the ball.  Seeing what the Falcons did to a very sound Seahawks defensive unit doesn't bode well for one as unreliable as the Packers.  Maybe Rodgers can drag his team to the Super Bowl, but this Falcons offense just seems unlikely to be stopped - at least by the Packers banged-up defense.
Certainly the Packers will have to play better than they did today.

I feel like this was the Packers' Super Bowl. They gave it all they had and came away with a dramatic win.

Emotionally, they're drained. I think they'll come out flat. Not enough gas left in the tank. Just a hunch.

ATL 41

GB 23

Will Jordy play?  Falcons have been without their top CB (Trufant) for a while - we don't have anybody that can defend just good WRs much less elite.  As a Falcons fan I'm happy to stil be playing but the idea of the other three QBs being left being Rodgers, Brady and Ben makes me not too confident.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Packers D was terrible against Dallas.  The problem being that Atlanta is far more effective passing the ball than Dallas.  So even if the Packers get up 14-3, Atlanta is still ok. It's going to be a barn burner.  

Will Jordy play?  Falcons have been without their top CB (Trufant) for a while - we don't have anybody that can defend just good WRs much less elite.  As a Falcons fan I'm happy to stil be playing but the idea of the other three QBs being left being Rodgers, Brady and Ben makes me not too confident.
More concerned about Morgan Burnett to be honest.  They really missed him.  There was one play in particular where the backup had an easy pick that wasn't capitalized on.  Burnett most likely grabs that one.  

I feel like this was the Packers' Super Bowl. They gave it all they had and came away with a dramatic win.

Emotionally, they're drained. I think they'll come out flat. Not enough gas left in the tank. Just a hunch.

ATL 41

GB 23
Keep dreaming.  Packers have been in the playoffs for two months.  Emotionally drained?  What are they millenials?  

Those Dirty Birds are an enemy of my Panthers, but I will be rooting for them against the Packers. Go Falcons!! 

GB is averaging roughly 33 points per game since December 1
ATL is averaging roughly 36 points per game since December 1

I think GB has a better resume overall than ATL during that time period.

I put my money on the better QB, so I take GB. But it will be a shoot out. If GB can get Burnett back they should win. If they don't have Burnett I can't see them winning with a slew of UDFA Rookies starting in their defensive backfield... and Randall... 

Edit, more statistics for us to argue about for the next 6 days

Starting December for ATL:
KC 29-28 L
LA 42-14 W
SF 41-13 W
CAR 33-16 W
NO 38-32 W
SEA 36-20 W

Honestly... not a single great offense in that bunch. 

ATL 2-2 vs playoff teams this season. GB is 5-2 vs playoff teams this year

Looking at ATL's schedule they seem a little over-rated- and what I mean by that they faced a lot of poor defenses and not very good offenses. 
Best game on their resume is putting up 23 vs the Broncos

Clock management could be the difference just like yesterday. I still can't fathom why the Cowboys would spike the ball when they still had a timeout left. IMO, the right move was just running a play and saving the timeout. Do teams  watch highlights of their opponents? Leaving time on the clock against a HOF QB's is often a lethal mistake. 

Clock management could be the difference just like yesterday. I still can't fathom why the Cowboys would spike the ball when they still had a timeout left. IMO, the right move was just running a play and saving the timeout. Do teams  watch highlights of their opponents? Leaving time on the clock against a HOF QB's is often a lethal mistake. 
It got lost in how great the game ended, but the Cowboys actually made a bunch of small sloppy mistakes. Wasted TOs, the spike to kill the clock, multiple illegal substitution penalties. 

Will have to see how things go this week with injuries.  

I will feel much better if they get Rollins and Burnett back.  If Bahktiarii, Bulaga, and Adams don't end up gimpy after the dings yesterday.  And if Nelson can somehow play.

Will definitely be a shootout and could come down to the last play like yesterday (and like the game did the first time GB and the Falcons played).

Packers will have to put more pressure on Ryan than they did on Dak.  Hoping they are a bit healthier in the secondary to allow that.  

As long as Rodgers is playing like this though...they have a fighting chance against anyone.

The way Rodgers is playing right now, I think that I'd call GB the favorite to win the Super Bowl with a gun to my head. That throw to Cook is one of the best, most clutch plays I've ever seen. Ever. I don't know that there is another QB in NFL history that makes that throw 35 yards downfield in a tight window on the sideline while throwing back across his body rolling left. Seriously, that was absolutely effing ridiculous.

GB is averaging roughly 33 points per game since December 1
ATL is averaging roughly 36 points per game since December 1

I think GB has a better resume overall than ATL during that time period.

I put my money on the better QB, so I take GB. But it will be a shoot out. If GB can get Burnett back they should win. If they don't have Burnett I can't see them winning with a slew of UDFA Rookies starting in their defensive backfield... and Randall... 

Edit, more statistics for us to argue about for the next 6 days

Starting December for ATL:
KC 29-28 L
LA 42-14 W
SF 41-13 W
CAR 33-16 W
NO 38-32 W
SEA 36-20 W

Honestly... not a single great offense in that bunch. 

ATL 2-2 vs playoff teams this season. GB is 5-2 vs playoff teams this year

Looking at ATL's schedule they seem a little over-rated- and what I mean by that they faced a lot of poor defenses and not very good offenses. 
Best game on their resume is putting up 23 vs the Broncos
Just like yesterday, the Packers 31st ranked pass defense is their biggest weakness. 

In 3 games against Top 5 passing teams, GB went 0-3 (including a game with ATL), allowing 35.3 ppg, 315 passing yd/gm, and an 8 TD to 2 INT ratio.

In 5 games against Bottom 5 pass defenses, ATL went 5-0 (including a game with GB), scoring 39.4 ppg, 328 passing yd/gm, and a 16 TD to 1 ratio.

If the Packers fashion a victory this week, they better plan on scoring 40+ points.

Falcons offense is going to torch GB's defense.......as impressive as Rodgers is, I don't think he's going to carry this team to the SB.

My unbiased opinion... whoever gets the ball last is gonna win. Should be a fun game. Im not gonna pretend to know whos gonna win.

Weighted DVOA 
(how buch better/worse than average is a defense, with later games carrying more weight)
PIT: #7 
NE: #11 

ATL #22
GB #23

If you believe that defense wins championships, the winner of this game is kinda doomed. Now if you want to look at Weighted Offense, we can do that too:

NE: #1
ATL: #2
GB: #4
PIT #8

If you believe that defense wins championships, the winner of this game is kinda doomed. 
Franchise QBs trump all but the very best defenses these days. NE and Pittsburgh may have better defenses than the two NFC teams, but we're not talking about the vintage Ravens / Bucs / recent Seattle / last year's Broncos here.

Franchise QBs trump all but the very best defenses these days. NE and Pittsburgh may have better defenses than the two NFC teams, but we're not talking about the vintage Ravens / Bucs / recent Seattle / last year's Broncos here.
All 4 teams have good to great QBs.  After seeing ICONs stats, I'm liking the Steelers chances a little more.  They're definitely balanced.

I believe Dan Quinn's defensive message may have just recently taken root in Atlanta, and that the defense we saw from them recently bears only passing resemblance to their year's ranking. 

I believe a healthy, or semi-healthy Packer defense is better than their year long stats indicate.  I don't know if they will have really workable pieces return this weekend.  Me, I'm hopeful Perry is out of his cast, Hyde is unfazed, and Rollins is back and ready to play.  The makeshift, moving pieces thing the Packers have had going all year may not be enough to beat Atlanta, but perhaps a semblance of their real defense may be.

I seem to remember when they played earlier that One of Coleman or foreman was missing, but the Packers were missing pieces then that they have back now, including Montgomery, Cook, Cobb, Matthews, Randal and Rollins.  When they faced each other I seem to remember that Atlanta got the enviable task of stuffing Kniles Davis.  Point is that was a long time ago.

Atlanta stuck me as something completely changed from our game with them to the Seattle game.  it did not look like the same defense.  I hope the Packers can show them something a little different with Cobb, Cook, and Montgomery.

Not sure if that call came from the sideline.  It was one of those procedural things that should have been taken care of by the coaches.  I mean they lost on a jump offsides, a weird substitution timeout, and that spike.  Those are all things that Green Bay tipped the balance on.  Dallas played the actual plays good enough to win this game but got beat on the prep.

Pack easy winners 35-24
I actually agree with this to some degree. I don't think it's going to be "easy" and I don't see an 11 point victory as easy by any means. But I do believe whoever wins this game wins by double digits. Who knows. Could be a close one as shady says. I don't think it'll be a repeat of the Dallas game... I think it'll be one of the two QBs making a couple bad mistakes. Rodgers looked human last game. Could be him. I think it'll be Ryan. I really think Atlanta falters... 

My unbiased opinion... whoever gets the ball last is gonna win. Should be a fun game. Im not gonna pretend to know whos gonna win.

Not sure if that call came from the sideline.  It was one of those procedural things that should have been taken care of by the coaches.  I mean they lost on a jump offsides, a weird substitution timeout, and that spike.  Those are all things that Green Bay tipped the balance on.  Dallas played the actual plays good enough to win this game but got beat on the prep.
I think this was due to Dak's inexperience. Perhaps he's not given the green light to run the offense from the line of scrimmage. He may not have had a play. It was most likely a rookie mistake I think... a veteran would be looking at the clock and would have known exactly what to do. Dallas got beat because on the prep and lack of experience. Guys celebrating on defense so they're late to get off the field when you KNOW Rodgers is looking for that 12 man penalty

I actually agree with this to some degree. I don't think it's going to be "easy" and I don't see an 11 point victory as easy by any means. But I do believe whoever wins this game wins by double digits. Who knows. Could be a close one as shady says. I don't think it'll be a repeat of the Dallas game... I think it'll be one of the two QBs making a couple bad mistakes. Rodgers looked human last game. Could be him. I think it'll be Ryan. I really think Atlanta falters... 

I think this was due to Dak's inexperience. Perhaps he's not given the green light to run the offense from the line of scrimmage. He may not have had a play. It was most likely a rookie mistake I think... a veteran would be looking at the clock and would have known exactly what to do. Dallas got beat because on the prep and lack of experience. Guys celebrating on defense so they're late to get off the field when you KNOW Rodgers is looking for that 12 man penalty
I agree.  The actual football was dead even.  It was the experience of both the Packers staff, and the players that were the difference.  You are spot on with the celebrating.  Rodgers is just like "oh yeah, Mother####er??......bam!"  

I believe Dan Quinn's defensive message may have just recently taken root in Atlanta, and that the defense we saw from them recently bears only passing resemblance to their year's ranking. 

I believe a healthy, or semi-healthy Packer defense is better than their year long stats indicate.  I don't know if they will have really workable pieces return this weekend.  Me, I'm hopeful Perry is out of his cast, Hyde is unfazed, and Rollins is back and ready to play.  The makeshift, moving pieces thing the Packers have had going all year may not be enough to beat Atlanta, but perhaps a semblance of their real defense may be.

I seem to remember when they played earlier that One of Coleman or foreman was missing, but the Packers were missing pieces then that they have back now, including Montgomery, Cook, Cobb, Matthews, Randal and Rollins.  When they faced each other I seem to remember that Atlanta got the enviable task of stuffing Kniles Davis.  Point is that was a long time ago.

Atlanta stuck me as something completely changed from our game with them to the Seattle game.  it did not look like the same defense.  I hope the Packers can show them something a little different with Cobb, Cook, and Montgomery.
It's not just the Seattle Game!  The defense is improving and has for a while.  There's a narrative that the D stinks...so everyone believes it.  The D is fast and hits hard.  Look at scores since the bye.

• ARI 13 -- ATL 31 (4th Qtr time left 4.44)
  • ATL 42 -- LA 7 (4th Qtr time left 2.44)
  • SF 13 -- ATL 41 (4th Qtr time left :36)
  • ATL 33 -- CAR 16 (4th Qtr time left :47)
  • NO 13 -- ATL 38 (4th Qtr time left 12:41)
  • SEA 13 -- ATL 36 (4th Qtr time left 3:22)
I hope the Packers overlook the Atl D just like everyone else...and that narrative continues.  But I've watched this team all year and the D is  a lot better than people are giving credit to and the O isn't that bad either.    For sure the Falcons will have their hands full this week.  I think they Rise Up to the challenge.

It's not just the Seattle Game!  The defense is improving and has for a while.  There's a narrative that the D stinks...so everyone believes it.  The D is fast and hits hard.  Look at scores since the bye.

I hope the Packers overlook the Atl D just like everyone else...and that narrative continues.  But I've watched this team all year and the D is  a lot better than people are giving credit to and the O isn't that bad either.    For sure the Falcons will have their hands full this week.  I think they Rise Up to the challenge.
Arizona... they were incredibly banged up. They were missing multiple starting OL, and even backups were hurt. Their best blocking TE was out this game. Floyd was out
LA... is it really hard to hold LA offensively this year? 
SF... see LA
Carolina... See LA
NO... I'll give you this one but at this point in the season I think NO just didn't care. I mean their coach was benching their best offensive player!!! 

GB certainly isn't looking over Atlanta's defense it's just that Rodgers is white hot right now. 

I don't think there is a defense in the NFL that the Packers overlook.  There also isn't a defense that can shut them down.  Offense feeds the defense.  It's the same for Green Bay and Atlanta.  When your offense is routinely hanging 28+ on team, it really helps your defense out in a big way.  That luxury is gone this week as both teams are facing formidable offenses.  Neither will be comfortable with a lead of less than 21.  Both teams have the ability to storm back from just about any deficit.  

GB certainly isn't looking over Atlanta's defense it's just that Rodgers is white hot right now. 
This  :thumbup:

No matter how good your defense is... doesn't seem like anyone can stop Rodgers. In fact, GB's best offensive games this season (two tied at 38 points scored in each) were against the 5th and 3rd ranked defenses in the league (SEA, NYG). GB hasn't scored below 30 points in their last 6 games. Those 6 games include 4 playoff teams. So it's not like GB has been beating up on the LA Rams and 49ers... 

Both of these defenses are bad but I think the ATL offense is more dynamic than GB and they are at home.  I think the Falcons win this game 37-31

This should be quite an airshow this week.  I just hope that whoever makes it through can beat the Patriots.  :X

This  :thumbup:

No matter how good your defense is... doesn't seem like anyone can stop Rodgers. In fact, GB's best offensive games this season (two tied at 38 points scored in each) were against the 5th and 3rd ranked defenses in the league (SEA, NYG). GB hasn't scored below 30 points in their last 6 games. Those 6 games include 4 playoff teams. So it's not like GB has been beating up on the LA Rams and 49ers... 
Burrnnnnn!!!!!

Both of these defenses are bad but I think the ATL offense is more dynamic than GB and they are at home.  I think the Falcons win this game 37-31
How more dynamic?  Julio is better than anyone on the Packers, but somehow scored fewer than half the touchdowns of not one Green Bay receiver but two different guys.  I know that Atlanta has Freeman and Coleman, and the Packers don't have a real running back (so we were told by Dallas fans) but oddly enough the Packers averaged almost two yards per carry more than the Falcons last week.  Jared Cook is looking like the second coming of Keith Jackson.  Jordy might be back, and if he isn't they still have Cobb, Davante, and Geronimo.  The Packers offensive line is absolutely just sick in pass blocking.  

I guess I don't see it.  Both teams have a lot of weapons, crappy defenses, and quarterbacks who will murder bad defensive backs.  I think Jared Cook is the difference.  

Just read that the last time the Packers played the Falcons, they were without TJ Lang, Jared Cook, Randall Cobb, and Ty Montgomery on offense, as well as Clay Matthews, Damarious Randall and Quinton Rollins on defense.  The lost that game in the final minute 33-32 when Sanu scored with 30 seconds left.  

This is a bit shocking.  I didn't realize how badly they limped into that game.  They lost by a single point with their best Offensive Lineman, Linebacker, Tight End, Corner (tallest midget theory), and Running back all inactive.  

My Prediction:

Green Bay 45
Atlanta 33

Going to be an entertaining game.

I think it comes down to 2 factors for ATL to win...1) can Freeman/Coleman gain enough yards rushing to keep moving the chains, so that Rodgers stays on the sideline (GB is pretty good defending the run), and 2) can ATL generate enough pass rush?  As powerful of an offense ATL has right now....I think they do need to try and be very balanced on offense to keep Rodgers off the field.

Right now, I don't think Rodgers is stoppable right now.

GB 35, ATL 31.........Rodgers throws a TD to Adams with less than 1 minute left.  Should be that kind of game.  Whoever has the ball last wins.

Going to be an entertaining game.

I think it comes down to 2 factors for ATL to win...1) can Freeman/Coleman gain enough yards rushing to keep moving the chains, so that Rodgers stays on the sideline (GB is pretty good defending the run), and 2) can ATL generate enough pass rush?  As powerful of an offense ATL has right now....I think they do need to try and be very balanced on offense to keep Rodgers off the field.

Right now, I don't think Rodgers is stoppable right now.

GB 35, ATL 31.........Rodgers throws a TD to Adams with less than 1 minute left.  Should be that kind of game.  Whoever has the ball last wins.
Exactly! Aikman made a great comment before the game Sunday that Rodgers had that look about him for the game Sunday and he sure delivered again.

Exactly! Aikman made a great comment before the game Sunday that Rodgers had that look about him for the game Sunday and he sure delivered again.
I've watched Favre and Rodgers every weekend for almost 25 years.  Neither ever played at the level Rodgers is at right now.  

Users who are viewing this thread