What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AFCCG: Steelers at Patriots Discussion (1 Viewer)

There have been 50 Super Bowls played.  The Broncos, Steelers, and Patriots have EACH been to 8 of them.  All 3 are tied for most AFC titles.  Combined, those 3 have appeared in 24/50 Super Bowls.  It is a guarantee that dominance will continue.  The rich get richer as 2 of those 3 will meet next weekend. The winner will become the first team to win 9 AFC titles.  25/51 Super Bowls will have been played by one of those 3 teams, pushing ever closer to 50%.

Last year, the Broncos beat the Patriots in the AFC title game, so it was also assured one of thee 3 teams were going to get back the bowl as well.

Just utter dominance of the AFC by these 3 teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been 50 Super Bowls played.  The Broncos, Steelers, and Patriots have EACH been to 8 of them.  All 3 are tied for most AFC titles.  Combined, those 3 have appeared in 24/50 Super Bowls.  It is a guarantee that dominance will continue.  The rich get richer as 2 of those 3 will meet next weekend. The winner will become the first team to win 9 AFC titles.  25/51 Super Bowls will have been played by one of those 3 teams, pushing ever close to 50%.
:goodposting:

There have been 50 Super Bowls played.  The Broncos, Steelers, and Patriots have EACH been to 8 of them.  All 3 are tied for most AFC titles.  Combined, those 3 have appeared in 24/50 Super Bowls.  It is a guarantee that dominance will continue.  The rich get richer as 2 of those 3 will meet next weekend. The winner will become the first team to win 9 AFC titles.  25/51 Super Bowls will have been played by one of those 3 teams, pushing ever close to 50%.

Last year, the Broncos beat the Patriots in the AFC title game, so it was also assured one of thee 3 teams were going to get back the bowl as well.

Just utter dominance of the AFC by these 3 teams.
Bolded is not true. It really helps to have franchise quarterbacks. And they're hard to find. When New England loses Brady, and the Steelers lose Ben, there is no guarantee that either team will even be very good, much less dominant.

Bolded is not true. It really helps to have franchise quarterbacks. And they're hard to find. When New England loses Brady, and the Steelers lose Ben, there is no guarantee that either team will even be very good, much less dominant.
How is it not true?  They are the only 2 teams left alive.  It is a guarantee one of them will win another AFC title this year.

Made me think of this... since 2004 Brady, Ben, or Peyton have been the QB for the AFC in the Super Bowl every year except for the year Flacco crashed the party.

2004 Brady
2005 Brady
2006 Ben
2007 Peyton
2008 Brady
2009 Ben
2010 Peyton
2011 Ben
2012 Brady
2013 Flacco  - WTF?  :P
2014 Peyton
2015 Brady
2016 Peyton
2017 Ben/Brady

He's talking about this year.

The dominance of the big 3 is actually getting stronger.  

In the 1970s, they took 4 AFC titles.  In the 80s, they took 4.  In the 90s, they took 5.  In the 00s, they took 6.  This is already their 6th in the 10s.  

This decade, the big 3 have taken six AFC titles, with the Ravens getting 1 and the Colts getting the other.

The big 3 have taken 8 of the last 10 AFC titles.

Made me think of this... since 2004 Brady, Ben, or Peyton have been the QB for the AFC in the Super Bowl every year except for the year Flacco crashed the party.

2004 Brady
2005 Brady
2006 Ben
2007 Peyton
2008 Brady
2009 Ben
2010 Peyton
2011 Ben
2012 Brady
2013 Flacco  - WTF?  :P
2014 Peyton
2015 Brady
2016 Peyton
2017 Ben/Brady
Why just start when Big Sloth came into the league (pillaging) though?

18-1 was nice, but been waiting for this opportunity (again, and again, and . . . ) since the tuck rule.  Too many times, my two teams have lost a playoff game to this team, this coach, and this QB. 
Good news,  the Steelers favorite past time is losing to the Patriots.

Can't ask for anything more than having Ben, Bell, and Brown all healthy for the game.  Shazier healthy and Dupree making plays.  Finally.  Maybe Green will pass concussion protocol this week - that would be a nice boost too.

Field goals aren't going to win next week, but I don't expect the Steelers to have to settle for them back to back weeks.  It should be a good game, but it'll be tough to win in Foxboro.  Always is.

I'm so glad the patriots beat Houston.  I'm being a homer but the Steelers probably have about a 35% chance of winning the game.  But man would it be nice beating these ####ers and shutting these New England fans up.....

On a serious note, this should be a good game.  Curious to see the health of the Pats' passing attack as Hogan was hurt last game and Mitchell is still dinged up.  Didn't Bennett get dinged in the game too. 

It becomes interesting if Green is a go, but as damn good as they are, Pitts does only have 3 guys that do anything. They don't seem to have the players to do multiple things and really test a D as to where the ball is going.  Bill game plans to take out the best player or two, Ben isn't nearly the same on the road, so that means Bell gets all the attention (good luck with that).  

Blount revenge game part whatever??  I just think both home teams get the job done this coming Sunday.  Pats win 27-21. 

I'm not going to trash talk until and unless the Steelers finally beat the Patriots in a meaningful game. While Pittsburgh may have more raw talent, the Patriots are in their heads, and they have a huge coaching advantage. I think the Steelers fall short on a 2-point conversion to lose 24-22. 

I don't see Blount being part of the game plan.  As usual against the Steelers, this will be the Brady show.  Let's see if they can finally slow him down.  I expect him to throw deep on his very first attempt.

I don't see Blount being part of the game plan.  As usual against the Steelers, this will be the Brady show.  Let's see if they can finally slow him down.  I expect him to throw deep on his very first attempt.
I'm probably as worried about Blount this game as I am Brady.  Blount is one of those emotional, "In yo face!" type of players.  I can see him being really up for this game.  "You grounded me from my bud smoking' buddy forever!"

I'm probably as worried about Blount this game as I am Brady.  Blount is one of those emotional, "In yo face!" type of players.  I can see him being really up for this game.  "You grounded me from my bud smoking' buddy forever!"
Unless Blount clones himself into Bell by next week I'm not worried.  The Steelers run D has been very, very good of late.  The Patriots will need to come out throwing.  

Unless Blount clones himself into Bell by next week I'm not worried.  The Steelers run D has been very, very good of late.  The Patriots will need to come out throwing.  
I'm worried that we game plan to stop Brady, and Belichick once again outsmarts the Pitt coach by running every time they go dime on 11 personnel.  Once again, the Pitt coaching doesn't adjust until 8:00 left in the 4th, down by 14.  I'm not worried about the players or the talent, I'm worried about the coaching and play calling.

I'm worried that we game plan to stop Brady, and Belichick once again outsmarts the Pitt coach by running every time they go dime on 11 personnel.  Once again, the Pitt coaching doesn't adjust until 8:00 left in the 4th, down by 14.  I'm not worried about the players or the talent, I'm worried about the coaching and play calling.
Amen.

You know BB has lost plenty of playoff games- even some at home. He's not the infallible James Bond villain people make him out to be. 

Steelers with 9 straight wins.

Patriots with 8 straight wins.

Packers with 8 straight wins.

Falcons with 5 straight wins.

These were the 4 best on-a-streak teams right before the playoffs started. And here they are reppin' the final four.

Ben is 3-5 vs the Patriots and Brady is 9-2 vs the Steelers.  Oof.  Trivia question.  When was the last time the Steelers intercepted Brady?  Answer, my 5th grader wasn't born yet.

Ben is 3-5 vs the Patriots and Brady is 9-2 vs the Steelers.  Oof.  Trivia question.  When was the last time the Steelers intercepted Brady?  Answer, my 5th grader wasn't born yet.
In Big Ben's three games against Brady in NE, he is 0-3 with the Pats winning by an average score of 39-25. But stats don't win football game . . . football players win football games.

This season, NE outranked the Steelers in just about every possible category. Even without anyone close to Bell or Brown (and without Gronk for most of the season and Brady missing the first four games) . . .

NE offense ranked higher in points scored, total yards, total TD's, passing yards, rushing yards, and turnovers.
NE defense ranked higher in points allowed, total yards allowed, TD's allowed, passing yards allowed, and rushing yards allowed. Turnovers forced the teams were tied.

The working theory is that NE played a bunch of tomato cans and anyone can beat the sisters of the poor. Maybe there's some truth to that.

No doubt the Steelers have a high octane offense and the three B's are phenomenal. PIT scored 30+ points in 6 games (out of 18 games played). NE scored 30+ points 9 times (in 17 games played). The reports on the Patriots victory over Houston have been scathing, yet they had the highest margin of victory in the Divisional round playing against the #1 ranked defense. I guess people were expecting the final to be 45-7.

Again, all the stats in the world won't change the outcome of the game, and the team that plays better is going to win. I'm pretty sure whoever wins is going to have to earn it, as no one is going to give the game away.

I'll say this: They won't beat the Patriots with field goals. Their effort against the Chiefs wouldn't beat New England. And I wouldn't expect NE to play two flat (for them) games in a row. 

Pittsburgh can win, but it has to be an A-game with about four touchdowns. And with Brown and Bell, that's entirely possible. 

Users who are viewing this thread