What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Women's March on Washington (1 Viewer)

First I've heard of it. What's going on?
Kingian non-violence versus Trumpian heated rhetoric. It's a celebration of diversity the day after the inauguration.

I think it will be non-violent, but I'm worried about protests the day before, both in DC, NYC and other places.  

You can't be serious. Did you look at the link?
That is just one angle of it. Ofcourse when you have 100,000 people you will get smaller groups trying to push their agenda. It's a march of women. Gloria Steinem is one of the co-chairs. Katy Perry, Cher and Scarlett Johansson are involved. It's what it says, a march for women. 

According to D.C. officials the RFK stadium parking lot- where charter busses park for large events on the Mall or nearby- has already allocated all 1200 available bus parking spots for the women's march. 

Less than a third of the available RFK bus parking spots have been claimed for the inauguration. 

Oath-taker aside, you couldn't pay me to go down there for either event this year.  Was on the Mall yesterday, and they've got things locked down.  Fencing on both sides of Madison and Jefferson, and a temporary building cutting across the Mall at the Metro.

Was there in '92 behind the reflecting pool and in 2008 back near the Castle and neither of those looked anything like this.  Even then It was hard to get around the first time, and almost impossible the second time -- so this seems like a cluster#### waiting to happen.  And god forbid there's a panic or need to get people off the Mall quickly.

People either love Trump or hate him.  Very volatile mix.
I'm ambivalent. I hope he succeeds for the good of the country. He needs to get a sense of humor fast. I feel bad for his press secretary. I give it 6 months  before a new press secretary is named.

Had a cousin who posted this on facebook and was very excited about it about a month ago.  Didn't realize it was actually happening.  She seemed to think that there wasn't enough representation in government.  I almost pointed out to her that she is a golden example of why, but thought better of it.

Basically, she is a brilliant woman (genius level IQ) who had a successful career as an editor in NY.  Then she got married to a future doctor, followed him to SF for his residency and then had 3 kids and is just now back to working part time from home after several years off of working.  When you take some of the greatest women out of the workforce for 5-10 years to start families (and some never really come back), then you are going to have underrepresentation across the board in the highest of positions.  Top US governmental positions is one of those fields.  I'm not saying there isn't some sexism going on, but a lot of capable women just don't put in the effort it takes to reach the pinnacle of their fields.

A few entrepreneurs could make a bank on this if they paid some comedians to "evaluate" the women as they walked past and broadcasted the fun.  

Had a cousin who posted this on facebook and was very excited about it about a month ago.  Didn't realize it was actually happening.  She seemed to think that there wasn't enough representation in government.  I almost pointed out to her that she is a golden example of why, but thought better of it.

Basically, she is a brilliant woman (genius level IQ) who had a successful career as an editor in NY.  Then she got married to a future doctor, followed him to SF for his residency and then had 3 kids and is just now back to working part time from home after several years off of working.  When you take some of the greatest women out of the workforce for 5-10 years to start families (and some never really come back), then you are going to have underrepresentation across the board in the highest of positions.  Top US governmental positions is one of those fields.  I'm not saying there isn't some sexism going on, but a lot of capable women just don't put in the effort it takes to reach the pinnacle of their fields.
There's some sexism going on, you say?  

There is a way to look at this same set of facts and reach a very different conclusion.

Is this true?   
Yea,

1 black woman tweeted that white allies should talk less and listen more. As in read books/poetry on the roots of inequality and racism blacks have enured. How only NOW people are scared of racism when blacks have been dealing get with this for years.

As usual, woman are their own worst enemies in how they can't help picking at each other and knocking each other down. 

There will be sects of this movement that will turn this into a one uping contest of who has dealt with more inequality.

Hopefully it won't deter too much from the real message woman are trying to convey.

ETA: I have no idea what that real message I just referenced is

Last edited by a moderator:
Women can't march, like white men can't jump

but wild in the streets is the ONLY 1st salvo vs fascism, if only to discover their capacity for violence

Same can be said of a lot of men. Reaching the pinnacle in your field is not the goal of everyone. Nor should it be. 
You are certainly right there on all points, but we are talking about % of cross-sections of the population.  There are certainly women AND men who choose not to pursue their careers for similar reasons.  However, the number of women who leave/delay/step back solely for family far outpaces the number of men.

This article indicates "43% of highly qualified women with children are leaving careers or off-ramping for a period of time."  That is significant.  Significant enough to effect the % of women who are elected to federal offices.  Significant enough to effect the % of women who are CEO's, CFO's, etc, which is what I'm talking about here.  Not that a woman can't reach those positions, just that a higher % of them are making decisions that limit their ability to get there than men, and hence they are under-represented when compared to the overall population.

IMO everything with them started to go downhill after the 19th amendment was passed. I realize that might not be the politically correct thing to say but sometimes you need to have the courage of your convictions.

You are certainly right there on all points, but we are talking about % of cross-sections of the population.  There are certainly women AND men who choose not to pursue their careers for similar reasons.  However, the number of women who leave/delay/step back solely for family far outpaces the number of men.

This article indicates "43% of highly qualified women with children are leaving careers or off-ramping for a period of time."  That is significant.  Significant enough to effect the % of women who are elected to federal offices.  Significant enough to effect the % of women who are CEO's, CFO's, etc, which is what I'm talking about here.  Not that a woman can't reach those positions, just that a higher % of them are making decisions that limit their ability to get there than men, and hence they are under-represented when compared to the overall population.
Do you think the reasons for that disparity are genetic (natural lack of ambition among women) or are they a product of society (what the feminists might call the "patriarchy")?

I would say the former would be considered sexism on your part and is an attitude that many have even if you don't, while the latter would be longstanding, historical, society-wide sexism.  Either way I'd say they've got something worthwhile to protest.

Do you think the reasons for that disparity are genetic (natural lack of ambition among women) or are they a product of society (what the feminists might call the "patriarchy")?

I would say the former would be considered sexism on your part and is an attitude that many have even if you don't, while the latter would be longstanding, historical, society-wide sexism.  Either way I'd say they've got something worthwhile to protest.
If the prime reason he was stating this was due to wanting to start a family so they had to take time off - I would think it wasn't a lack of ambition as much as maybe a genetic pull to be a mother and start a family.  The "lack of ambition" would definitely be seen as a negative where the family aspect wouldn't necessarily be. 

That is just one angle of it. Ofcourse when you have 100,000 people you will get smaller groups trying to push their agenda. It's a march of women. Gloria Steinem is one of the co-chairs. Katy Perry, Cher and Scarlett Johansson are involved. It's what it says, a march for women. 
Oh I'll be attending too as it turns out.

I was kinda without up until the bolded portion.  There are not enough support system for working parents, and especially not enough for working mothers.  It's not a lack of effort, but rather that childcare costs are outrageous, and universal Pre-K needs to happen ASAP.

If the prime reason he was stating this was due to wanting to start a family so they had to take time off - I would think it was a lack of ambition as much as maybe a genetic pull to be a mother and start a family.  The "lack of ambition" would definitely be seen as a negative where the family aspect wouldn't necessarily be. 

You're just part of the problem, mannnnnn.

Check your privilege, mannnnn.

Gender is a social construct, mannnnnnnn..

Women can have it all.  Gloria Steinem said so.

Users who are viewing this thread