What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

David Brent - The Movie (1 Viewer)

Love it but in smallish doses. The guy created an amazing character for sure. Never really had seen anything like the British "The Office" when it came out.

This saddens me to not see Merchant's name attached in any way.  

There have been rumors that they had a falling out as they have not worked together on any projects in a while.  They were a dynamite writing team IMO.

Supposedly Merchant was not even aware this movie was being made.  

Love it but in smallish doses. The guy created an amazing character for sure. Never really had seen anything like the British "The Office" when it came out.
this is true.

one long movie with this character will most likely be overkill.  i will still prob like it though.  can see why others wont

I had seen the first few seasons of the American version before purchasing the British box set. The first scene where Brent brings in Dawn and accuses her of stealing, and makes her cry, and the way the scene just keeps going on and on--that would never have have occurred here. It was startling.

I had not heard of a rift between Gervais and Merchant. I saw Merchant in a really unfunny HBO show whose title I can't even remember. The last thing I saw them together was in a show called "Life's Too Short".

This saddens me to not see Merchant's name attached in any way.  

There have been rumors that they had a falling out as they have not worked together on any projects in a while.  They were a dynamite writing team IMO.

Supposedly Merchant was not even aware this movie was being made.  
An un-subtle takedown of Gervais by the Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3771768/Why-laughing-Ricky-Gervais-not-comic-s-new-film-s-panned-s-morphing-narcissistic-buffoon-famous.html

I enjoyed it, but any character that painful is better in small doses.  Also Gervais can sing decently. 

Forgot how pathetic the David Brent character is.  He really hasn't changed much at all since the old office days
Yeah, definitely pathetic. It had a nice ending for him, though. My wife was watching with me and she hates shows/movies where someone is trying to fit in and just keeps getting #### on, so the ending made it tolerable for her. 

I had seen the first few seasons of the American version before purchasing the British box set. The first scene where Brent brings in Dawn and accuses her of stealing, and makes her cry, and the way the scene just keeps going on and on--that would never have have occurred here. It was startling.

I had not heard of a rift between Gervais and Merchant. I saw Merchant in a really unfunny HBO show whose title I can't even remember. The last thing I saw them together was in a show called "Life's Too Short".
Merchant's HBO show was called "Hello Ladies" and I thought it was good. :shrug:  He also had a recurring role on Big Bang TheoryTheory, he was in a car commercial (Cadillac?) and a saw a standup special he did. So, I think he was trying to assert his independence from just being Gervais' writing partner.

Users who are viewing this thread