Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

[Dynasty] 2018 Draft Class

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler indicated that he is unconcerned about the workload that has been placed on Northwestern senior RB Justin Jackson.

"On one hand, the NFL wants fresh backs. But there is something to be said about production and experience and if the medical reports aren't an issue then Jackson will be fine," Brugler said. Jackson has 855 carries under his belt with the 2017 season still ahead of him. He has never carried the ball fewer than 245 times in a season. Of course, with the carry-load comes some fantastic production -- last season, Jackson rushed for 1,524 yards and 15 touchdowns. He is a potential Day 2 selection for next spring's draft.

May 27 - 12:59 PM

This week I had an opportunity to catch-up on a few games. One game in particular was the Big 10 Championship game.

The thing that surprised me the most was what a horrible blocker Barkley is. He got pushed around, missed blocks, and struggled with the blitz. When the Badgers realized that he couldn't block they really dialed it up so Barkley started going low to take out their legs. Again, the Badgers realized what he was doing and were effectively getting to the QB or disrupting the play.

Penn St. countered with quick passes to Barkley out of the backfield with was the answer to the blocking problem.

Granted it's only one game that I watched from start to end but I had no idea that Barkley struggles with blocking. I've yet to read anywhere that this is an issue so is the Dyno Community ignoring this or am I missing something??? He's being talked about as a three down back but he he can't protect the QB there's no way that's possible. Was this just a bad game for him? I have three more Penn St. games but I have not looked at them yet.

Just curious........

Tex

16 hours ago, BigTex said:

This week I had an opportunity to catch-up on a few games. One game in particular was the Big 10 Championship game.

The thing that surprised me the most was what a horrible blocker Barkley is. He got pushed around, missed blocks, and struggled with the blitz. When the Badgers realized that he couldn't block they really dialed it up so Barkley started going low to take out their legs. Again, the Badgers realized what he was doing and were effectively getting to the QB or disrupting the play.

Penn St. countered with quick passes to Barkley out of the backfield with was the answer to the blocking problem.

Granted it's only one game that I watched from start to end but I had no idea that Barkley struggles with blocking. I've yet to read anywhere that this is an issue so is the Dyno Community ignoring this or am I missing something??? He's being talked about as a three down back but he he can't protect the QB there's no way that's possible. Was this just a bad game for him? I have three more Penn St. games but I have not looked at them yet.

Just curious........

Tex

Just a bad game, IMO. TJ Watt in particular is pretty tough. There are other games where he looks quite a bit better. Having said that, in my "scouting" of college RBs through the years, the majority of them are poor at blocking and pass pro. The fact that Barkley is more average makes him seem better by comparison. But it doesn't mean that he is really good at it or ready take on Von Miller or someone in the NFL.

2 hours ago, ConstruxBoy said:

Just a bad game, IMO. TJ Watt in particular is pretty tough. There are other games where he looks quite a bit better. Having said that, in my "scouting" of college RBs through the years, the majority of them are poor at blocking and pass pro. The fact that Barkley is more average makes him seem better by comparison. But it doesn't mean that he is really good at it or ready take on Von Miller or someone in the NFL.

Good point and it may have been a bad game but he will face greater talent at the NFL than Watt. Also, Watt wasn't the only one he struggled with Barkley looked lost but it did shock me to see him struggle while watching him. I do have a few more games to look at to really see if there's a pattern there are just that game. You bring up some valid points to consider. I will have plenty of time to look at college games while recovering from my operation but now I'm also interested in taking a closer look at Guice. Both of these game are at the very top of the Dynasty food chain.

Tex

Do we have a way,way,way, early top 5 of some RB/WR's I should be watching this year?   I'm aware of most of the QB's.

Edited by Gottabesweet

RB: Barkley PSU, Guice LSU, Chubb UGA, Ballage ASU, Jones III USC, Scott MSU, Freeman OSU, Scarbrough ALA

WR: Sutton SMU, Washington OK St, St Brown ND, Cain CLEM, Tate FSU, Ridley ALA, Kirk TA&M, Calloway FLA

A lot can happen between now and the 2018 draft

1 hour ago, Gottabesweet said:

Do we have a way,way,way, early top 5 of some RB/WR's I should be watching this year?   I'm aware of most of the QB's.

Dan Hindery's (deep) devy rankings are here. Several people shared their top guys in this thread. I listed a bunch of names here.

Just noticed that Thomas Tyner is playing football again after "retiring". Playing for Oregon State now.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2017/07/thomas_tyner_on_return_to_foot.html

Thought he was a great prospect out of HS because of his height/weight/speed, but he ran a bit upright and stiff at Oregon. Looks good here though!

https://youtu.be/lb9BOJWS3OY?t=22s

Will be an interesting wild card to track this season. Medical red flags galore. Unreal size/speed combo though.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 4:13 PM, Faust said:

Awful. Barring falling flat on their faces, Josh Allen and Sam Darnold will be top 5 picks. Other than the Jets who are making the correct move of sucking, teams will be giving up the farm to move up & get one of those guys. The reasoning given for the Jets not taking QB is just plain stupid, especially with the talent coming out in 2018.

• Like 1