What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Betsy Devos....probably going to need her own thread. (1 Viewer)

bananafish said:
Betsy DeVos is still capable of shaking up American education. But not to the extent she or her enemies once imagined.
So what does this mean, she's frustrated like her boss because she has learned that government requires knowing where the levers are and also deliberative, collaborative, bureaucratic process?

That's a bargain. Long Island has four supers looking to rake in over FOUR this year.... FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND. 

Two of these have maybe 3000 total students.  Maybe.  

It's nuts.
Yeah but our SOL is much lower.  

You can get a 4 bdr house with a pool for under $300k here.

What's interesting is that my supernintentdo makes $150K and that's for a district with less than 4000 kids.
So does ours.  I couldn't believe it when I read.

The former Public Defender (my boss at the time) for my county left his gig running what amount to the biggest defense firm and the primary death penalty attorney to take on some county administrator position for like a 30k raise.  Musta worked like 30 hrs./week (so like half of what he was doing) and I'm genuinely not entirely sure what he did. 

So does ours.  I couldn't believe it when I read.

The former Public Defender (my boss at the time) for my county left his gig running what amount to the biggest defense firm and the primary death penalty attorney to take on some county administrator position for like a 30k raise.  Musta worked like 30 hrs./week (so like half of what he was doing) and I'm genuinely not entirely sure what he did. 
Superintendents work their asses off. It's an incredibly important job. They run the entire district.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Devos probably loves see this. Public education is being steered into an iceberg.

Key points:

-  nearly 2,000 Arizona teaching jobs remain open

-  another 3,400 have been filled by people who couldn't qualify for a standard teaching license

- so far this year 627 teachers have resigned. Another 83 never showed up and 156 flat-out abandoned their classrooms.

- median teacher pay is down 11% from 2011 (after adjusted for inflation)

- The State's Plan of offering an extra $1.09 a day to every teacher did not seem to have any impact 

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/laurieroberts/2017/12/19/roberts-866-teachers-have-already-quit-year-some/967075001/

Devos probably loves see this. Public education is being steered into an iceberg.

Key points:

-  another 3,400 have been filled by people who couldn't qualify for a standard teaching license

- so far this year 627 teachers have resigned. Another 83 never showed up and 156 flat-out abandoned their classrooms.

- The State's Plan of offering an extra $1.09 a day to every teacher did not seem to have any impact 

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/laurieroberts/2017/12/19/roberts-866-teachers-have-already-quit-year-some/967075001/
Shameful.

Key points:

Now that's what I call winning!

lol I doubt she does- too busy working. 
Glad you have a good one.  :) The current one my mom has...leaves much to be desired.  As does the one my sister and fiance have.  The previous one that my mom and since retired dad had, though, was excellent!

Now that's what I call winning!
This isn't a Trump thing, it's been going on for years. Zona is especially bad but it's happening other places as well. Conservatives fail to see how their own core economic beliefs impact education. If we pay teachers less and demand more of them, less people will go into teaching. So here we are. Teaching has become kind of a bottom of the white collar barrel  profession.

Glad you have a good one.  :) The current one my mom has...leaves much to be desired.  As does the one my sister and fiance have.  The previous one that my mom and since retired dad had, though, was excellent!
We have had some poor administrators as well- usually wasn't a lack of effort just didn't have the skills needed for the job. 

Key points:

Arizona has not had a Regeneron Science Talent Search finalist since 2000. Texas is way underrepresented. Top 9 states: NY, CA, IL, PA, NJ, MD, FL, MA, VA. This was previously known as Westinghouse and then Intel Science Talent Search for high school seniors. 

Arizona has not had a Regeneron Science Talent Search finalist since 2000. Texas is way underrepresented. Top 9 states: NY, CA, IL, PA, NJ, MD, FL, MA, VA. This was previously known as Westinghouse and then Intel Science Talent Search for high school seniors. 
I don't really know what this is but Arizona has issues with education and this is another example I suppose. 

And you factor in the teachers get 3 months off, it's like a 1.42. It's almost enough for a tall Starbucks coffee everyday of work. 
Wait, is it $1.09 per day of work, or per day of the year?  Because if it's per day of work, it's even more laughable.

I don't really know what this is but Arizona has issues with education and this is another example I suppose. 
Superbowl of Science for high school seniors. 8 have gone on to win Nobel prizes, 56 Sloan Research Fellows, 30 in the National Academy of Sciences, etc. This represents a commitment by parents and school systems in NY,  .CA and other progressive states.

Superbowl of Science for high school seniors. 8 have gone on to win Nobel prizes, 56 Sloan Research Fellows, 30 in the National Academy of Sciences, etc. This represents a commitment by parents and school systems in NY,  .CA and other progressive states.
Yeah, that is going to take a pretty amazing high school to really produce that kind of high school student. I would imagine those kids mostly attend specialized high schools for science/tech/gifted students in urban centers where this kind of specialization is possible. 

Yeah, that is going to take a pretty amazing high school to really produce that kind of high school student. I would imagine those kids mostly attend specialized high schools for science/tech/gifted students in urban centers where this kind of specialization is possible. 
Competitors have come from public schools in Des Moines, Connecticut... even competitors from Guam and Puerto Rico. 

We have a ton of retirees/snowbirds who have no interest in voting for anything which raises taxes -- especially if that money goes to school their kids will never attend. 

My city/district tried so hard last year to pass a bond to get more money into the local school and it seemed like everybody was in favor yet it still didn't pass. 

This isn't a Trump thing, it's been going on for years. Zona is especially bad but it's happening other places as well. Conservatives fail to see how their own core economic beliefs impact education. If we pay teachers less and demand more of them, less people will go into teaching. So here we are. Teaching has become kind of a bottom of the white collar barrel  profession.
It's my opinion that the unions have done more to stifle educator's salaries than anything.   Why try to be good/great when performance is not a factor, but rather length on the job?

Yeah I bet they have. Connecticut is the wealthiest State, Des Moines is the wealthiest city in the country. 
Yeah, I guess that’s my point. It can be about financially supporting the schools and creating strong academic environments generally, not necessarily specializing in urban centers of population. Though of course a lot of magnet schools are represented as well. 

It was the unions fault that salaries get stifled?  Do you know how ####### dumb that statement is?
may not be their fault that teachers get lower pay as they are likely a net positive for that, but a lot of the public opinion shift on teachers is due to the unions. Many years ago the teachers in the area i lived in went on "strike". Parents were furious as they tried to make last minute arrangements. The teachers actually only missed one work day, the day before the first day of school and never missed any days of school, but the damage was done. Every time you hear about a strike somewhere else, it is like an old wound getting ripped open. So when the chicago teachers turn down a 16% raise(total not per year) over 4 years and go on strike demanding 30%, the average person gets frustrated and the fact that they are union, gets them all lumped together. Which is fair and unfair. Many of the articles covering it really don't address any other parts of it either. You just heard about the pay. 

When word got out about the health insurance negotiations in wisconsin, that didn't help perception around here either.   

I fully understand that teacher's strikes get tons of coverage and unfair treatment of teachers (when it exists), does not get coverage. I also realize that lots of teachers disagree with the unions practices sometimes as well. 

may not be their fault that teachers get lower pay as they are likely a net positive for that, but a lot of the public opinion shift on teachers is due to the unions. Many years ago the teachers in the area i lived in went on "strike". Parents were furious as they tried to make last minute arrangements. The teachers actually only missed one work day, the day before the first day of school and never missed any days of school, but the damage was done. Every time you hear about a strike somewhere else, it is like an old wound getting ripped open. So when the chicago teachers turn down a 16% raise(total not per year) over 4 years and go on strike demanding 30%, the average person gets frustrated and the fact that they are union, gets them all lumped together. Which is fair and unfair. Many of the articles covering it really don't address any other parts of it either. You just heard about the pay. 

When word got out about the health insurance negotiations in wisconsin, that didn't help perception around here either.   

I fully understand that teacher's strikes get tons of coverage and unfair treatment of teachers (when it exists), does not get coverage. I also realize that lots of teachers disagree with the unions practices sometimes as well. 
Ofcourse public opinion on unions is negative, we have fully converated to a Corporatist Economy and the media coverage of unions was a key piece of that. 

Users who are viewing this thread