What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Betsy Devos....probably going to need her own thread. (1 Viewer)

For much of my adult life I was in favor of vouchers. I was a libertarian, and I read lots of libertarians like Tibor Machan, who argued, open up the marketplace! Make schools competitive with each other. Some close black friends of mine, otherwise liberal, were for the idea. They argued that blacks in inner cities wanted the chance to send their kids to better schools. It never occurred to them, or to me, to question why not improve the public schools they were currently attending. 

In any case over time my mind changed on this for two reasons. The first is that all attempts to set guidelines were defeated by the groups that pushed for the vouchers. They didn’t want the parochial schools being told by the government what should and what should not be taught. But they wanted my tax money to pay for tuitions for a school in which the taxpayer had no say as to the curriculum? Screw that. I don’t want to pay for teachers to tell kids that evolution doesn’t exist or that homosexuality isn’t evil or that abortion is immoral. If you want your kids to learn that, you pay for it. And of course, there is all the historical revisionism they teach as well. 

The second reason was that I was not aware of the historical context for vouchers. They go back to the civil rights movement. Private schools exploded after integration. But the people who went to them wanted the government to pay, or else they didn’t want to have to pay for public education. So vouchers were created. Are they racist? They’ll insist that they’re not, and they’ll show off the small number of minorities who are lucky enough to go to their otherwise white school. But meanwhile the funding for the inner city schools, where the bulk of minority students attend, is cut. Bad idea, no thanks. 

So I’ve come 180 on this. Vouchers are a bad idea. What we need is better teachers and more money for public education. 
It's not that we need better teachers.  I'd argue the vast majority of our teachers are very good.  Sure there are a few that are less than stellar, but find a profession where this isn't the case.  We need to support them more.  Our society values working people to death and it leaves no time for parents to spend with their kids.  

Vouchers are a terrible idea.  The low income families couldn't afford private school even with the vouchers.  The upper class families already sending their kids to private school don't need the vouchers to send their kids to school.  They only "help" a small segment of the population, but it can be argued the money would be better spent in the public school system.  One of my biggest issues with private schools here is that they kick low performers and behavior problems out of their schools and force them on the public system (unless their rich parents pay extra money).  My wife has dealt with quite a few private school rejects over the years.

For much of my adult life I was in favor of vouchers. I was a libertarian, and I read lots of libertarians like Tibor Machan, who argued, open up the marketplace! Make schools competitive with each other. Some close black friends of mine, otherwise liberal, were for the idea. They argued that blacks in inner cities wanted the chance to send their kids to better schools. It never occurred to them, or to me, to question why not improve the public schools they were currently attending. 

In any case over time my mind changed on this for two reasons. The first is that all attempts to set guidelines were defeated by the groups that pushed for the vouchers. They didn’t want the parochial schools being told by the government what should and what should not be taught. But they wanted my tax money to pay for tuitions for a school in which the taxpayer had no say as to the curriculum? Screw that. I don’t want to pay for teachers to tell kids that evolution doesn’t exist or that homosexuality isn’t evil or that abortion is immoral. If you want your kids to learn that, you pay for it. And of course, there is all the historical revisionism they teach as well. 

The second reason was that I was not aware of the historical context for vouchers. They go back to the civil rights movement. Private schools exploded after integration. But the people who went to them wanted the government to pay, or else they didn’t want to have to pay for public education. So vouchers were created. Are they racist? They’ll insist that they’re not, and they’ll show off the small number of minorities who are lucky enough to go to their otherwise white school. But meanwhile the funding for the inner city schools, where the bulk of minority students attend, is cut. Bad idea, no thanks. 

So I’ve come 180 on this. Vouchers are a bad idea. What we need is better teachers and more money for public education. 
May want to proof read the part about homosexuality.

I understand your stance.  Schools are a huge indoctinator, and nobody wants the next generation taught what they themselves believe will need to be untaught to have reasonable and educated fellow citizens.  That said, I try to appreciate that there are folks who view what should be taught exactly the opposite of what you or I might believe.  Those folks feel that they should not have to support a school system which teaches things antithetical to their world view.  While I disagree with their view I try to make room for it to exist without hostility.  I would engage their view rather than try to legislate it out of existence.  You do not want to support a curriculum you disagree with, well neither do they.

I look at the matter like this.  I am going to have a work life of about 50 years, give or take.  I will have a tax paying life of about 65 years, give or take.  My child or children will be in school for twelve years each, and if I have multiple kids will be in public school spanning maybe 18 years of my tax paying life, probably during my maximum earning years while I am working.  If I were allowed vouchers for my kids, and if I were of a mind to take them from the public school system first I would, during that time, be alleviating the pressures on the public school system so the dollars are not totally lost to that system.  Next, as a taxpayer I would still be supporting the public school system with my tax dollars all the other years of my tax life, far longer in fact than the few years I would have my dollars moved elsewhere.  I would not be abandoning the system. I would be supporting it in large measure most of my life.  I would only be asking that for a portion of my tax life I be allowed to direct some of that money to an educational system in which I believe.

Next I believe that alternative schooling is desperately needed.  We need to create new paradigms of education as our current system is failing us.  I believe charter schools, supported partially by vouchers may be the incubator for that new paradigm, at least I believe that to be more likely than the public system proving to be innovative.  Thus far I think many charter schools have failed of their promise.  I think in many instances folks would have been better off keeping their kids in public school, but I like to allow them that choice, the option to be wrong, to fail, or to succeed.  That is the essence of freedom, and the responsibility of parenthood, in my estimation. That may in the end produce the new paradigm that can solve our current quandaries.  I like to allow for a laboratory of ideas.

Vouchers are not racist, though those who use them may be.  If racists want to take their children away from yours or mine I am not sure that is a bad thing.  I would not seek to prevent them on the fear that I may know and abhor what is in the hearts and minds of my fellow citizens.  I do not want government doing a hearts and minds test on me so I do not seek it for others.  I like government to restrain itself to what it can prove, what is uncontrovertibly observable, rather than to what it suspects.  ( I understand this last assertion can be the avenue for disregarding my point by finding some counter examples, but I think the point is true, in the main.)

It's not that we need better teachers.  I'd argue the vast majority of our teachers are very good.  Sure there are a few that are less than stellar, but find a profession where this isn't the case.  We need to support them more.  Our society values working people to death and it leaves no time for parents to spend with their kids.  

Vouchers are a terrible idea.  The low income families couldn't afford private school even with the vouchers.  The upper class families already sending their kids to private school don't need the vouchers to send their kids to school.  They only "help" a small segment of the population, but it can be argued the money would be better spent in the public school system.  One of my biggest issues with private schools here is that they kick low performers and behavior problems out of their schools and force them on the public system (unless their rich parents pay extra money).  My wife has dealt with quite a few private school rejects over the years.
Wouldn't she have had to deal with those rejects whether or not a voucher system existed.  She was, in fact, probably temporarily relieved from having to deal with them.  or am I missing the point.  Is it hat the private schools created the bad kid and then dumped them?  are you saying there is something about the private system that creates behavioral problems?

At any rate, with your wife an educator I will be anxious to hear more of your thoughts on the matter.  me, I am only a parent, not an educator, and so have only a limited perspective on things, while you likely have multiple perspectives on it (I am assuming in addition to having a wife who is an educator that you also have children yourself).

Last edited by a moderator:

I cannot for the life of me figure out why this isn't more of a thing. 

Besty came from one the wealthiest families in West Michigan...then she married into then wealthiest family in West Michigan...her husband spent 35 million of his own money to try and beat Jennifer Granholm in the governor race in 2006. People who have never been to the Grand Rapids-Holland area of West Michigan..just think of Mormons in Salt Lake City but all Christians and Baptist. DeVos family controls almost everything..go to downtown Grand Rapids..a beautiful area.  Can`t go one block without a DeVos named building. Saying goes "If you aint Dutch..you aint much"

My older daughter played against their daughter in club volleyball.  We would go to club events in Indy, Ohio..Wherever and this 20 seat limo/bus would be transporting their daughters whole team.  We saw that limo/bus everywhere they played.  While our parents were drinking Bud Light in the parking lot by our SUVs their parents were all hanging our by this limo/bus with a chef firing up a grill..it was unreal. 

Can`t say I ever saw Betsy because I did not really know who she was at the time..although all I probably had to do is look for the lady with her nose the highest up.

This is a good read on the DeVos family "cult" and how they manage their kids and grandkids.  I can only imagine if one of their kids crossed them they would be exiled.

Wouldn't she have had to deal with those rejects whether or not a voucher system existed.  She was, in fact, probably temporarily relieved from having to deal with them.  or am I missing the point.  Is it hat the private schools created the bad kid and then dumped them?  are you saying there is something about the private system that creates behavioral problems?

At any rate, with your wife an educator I will be anxious to hear more of your thoughts on the matter.  me, I am only a parent, not an educator, and so have only a limited perspective on things, while you likely have multiple perspectives on it (I am assuming in addition to having a wife who is an educator that you also have children yourself).
I'm not saying the private school necessarily created the bad kid or behavioral problems, but they aren't required to deal with them like the public schools are.  They can brag about test scores and such, but they cherry pick the students.  If they want public funding then they should be held to the same standards.

I'm not saying the private school necessarily created the bad kid or behavioral problems, but they aren't required to deal with them like the public schools are.  They can brag about test scores and such, but they cherry pick the students.  If they want public funding then they should be held to the same standards.
I am not sure why that follows but I appreciate you sharing the viewpoint.  I do think it is more than reasonable, when comparing the two, to realize that we are hardly comparing apples to apples.  If charter schools are building their reputation on unfair analysis I believe it is important to point that out as you have done here.

I suppose that if Charter schools and private schools are arguing that they should be subject to support by vouchers because they do better at educating students that fallacy needs to be debunked, if it has not already been so.  Do those schools make that argument?

I understand your stance.  Schools are a huge indoctinator, and nobody wants the next generation taught what they themselves believe will need to be untaught to have reasonable and educated fellow citizens.  That said, I try to appreciate that there are folks who view what should be taught exactly the opposite of what you or I might believe.  Those folks feel that they should not have to support a school system which teaches things antithetical to their world view.  While I disagree with their view I try to make room for it to exist without hostility.  I would engage their view rather than try to legislate it out of existence.  You do not want to support a curriculum you disagree with, well neither do they.

I look at the matter like this.  I am going to have a work life of about 50 years, give or take.  I will have a tax paying life of about 65 years, give or take.  My child or children will be in school for twelve years each, and if I have multiple kids will be in public school spanning maybe 18 years of my tax paying life, probably during my maximum earning years while I am working.  If I were allowed vouchers for my kids, and if I were of a mind to take them from the public school system first I would, during that time, be alleviating the pressures on the public school system so the dollars are not totally lost to that system.  Next, as a taxpayer I would still be supporting the public school system with my tax dollars all the other years of my tax life, far longer in fact than the few years I would have my dollars moved elsewhere.  I would not be abandoning the system. I would be supporting it in large measure most of my life.  I would only be asking that for a portion of my tax life I be allowed to direct some of that money to an educational system in which I believe.

Next I believe that alternative schooling is desperately needed.  We need to create new paradigms of education as our current system is failing us.  I believe charter schools, supported partially by vouchers may be the incubator for that new paradigm, at least I believe that to be more likely than the public system proving to be innovative.  Thus far I think many charter schools have failed of their promise.  I think in many instances folks would have been better off keeping their kids in public school, but I like to allow them that choice, the option to be wrong, to fail, or to succeed.  That is the essence of freedom, and the responsibility of parenthood, in my estimation. That may in the end produce the new paradigm that can solve our current quandaries.  I like to allow for a laboratory of ideas.

Vouchers are not racist, though those who use them may be.  If racists want to take their children away from yours or mine I am not sure that is a bad thing.  I would not seek to prevent them on the fear that I may know and abhor what is in the hearts and minds of my fellow citizens.  I do not want government doing a hearts and minds test on me so I do not seek it for others.  I like government to restrain itself to what it can prove, what is uncontrovertibly observable, rather than to what it suspects.  ( I understand this last assertion can be the avenue for disregarding my point by finding some counter examples, but I think the point is true, in the main.)
Agree with the bold statement.  I've said at least a couple times in this thread that we spend the bulk of our resources on the kids who are failing, just trying to bring them up to a passing level.  We eventually get them just barely through high school.  They have no desire to go to college because our education system simply isn't up their alley, and we drop them into the workforce with zero skills.  

We should be spending those resources pushing the top kids to become great and give the kids who will never want to be there or benefit from higher education a different avenue.

I am not sure why that follows but I appreciate you sharing the viewpoint.  I do think it is more than reasonable, when comparing the two, to realize that we are hardly comparing apples to apples.  If charter schools are building their reputation on unfair analysis I believe it is important to point that out as you have done here.

I suppose that if Charter schools and private schools are arguing that they should be subject to support by vouchers because they do better at educating students that fallacy needs to be debunked, if it has not already been so.  Do those schools make that argument?
I won't speak for Charter schools here, as ours was a total disaster.  It got shut down for child abuse and not paying teachers.  The owner is currently under investigation for money laundering and other financial crimes.  

The public schools in this area are very good, and while I feel like the draw to private schools is religion, they can't draw the kids away from the public school system without very good test scores (even though they aren't any better)

I do agree that if tax dollars are to be diverted to private schools that accountability at those institutions needs to be as transparent as at public schools. In a very real way they are becoming public through their acceptance of public dollars.

Some make that claim and some don't but I think a public perception has been created that public schools are bad and charter schools are good. My experiences in the Detroit area with kids and teachers that have experience with charter schools is that they are deplorable. However, there is a perception that exists amongst parents that charter is good. Honestly, I don't think most people even really know what a charter school is. 

I do agree that if tax dollars are to be diverted to private schools that accountability at those institutions needs to be as transparent as at public schools. In a very real way they are becoming public through their acceptance of public dollars.
This is an issue. In some States, there is specifically legislation to protect the charter schools from having to be transparent. I would love to know how much profit the local charter schools are making off of the tax payer dollars in Michigan. 

Here is a scathing review of Michigan's charter school set-up   which Devos helped create. It's really the worst in the country. 

Michigan charters receive nearly $1 billion per year in taxpayer money from the state, often with little accountability, transparency or academic achievement.

My experience with charter schools is only anecdotal and is second hand.  I have in no way or manner studied the issue.  that said, it is my impression that 10 or so years ago they held out substantial hope, substantial promise, and some of the trailblazers actually did great things.  after, in the boom that followed, many failed, and many others fell short of their promise, though perception has been slow to catch up to the reality of the experiment. that said, I hope the experiment continues.  Now I will not be experimenting with my child, but I hope there is always a bit of a laboratory to germinate news ideas.

my experience with charter schools is only anecdotal and is second hand.  I have in no way or manner studied the issue.  that said, it is my impression that 10 or so years ago they held out substantial hope, substantial promise, and some of the trailblazers actually did great things.  after, in the boom that followed, many failed, and many others fell short of their promise, though perception has been slow to catch up to the reality of the experiment. that said, I hope the experiment continues.  Now I will not be experimenting with my child, but I hope there is always a bit of a laboratory to germinate news ideas.
I am not totally against them either. I do like the idea of kids having options.The high school I work is totally dependent on it. Our district is really small and nearly 50% of our students are "school of choice"- mostly from Detroit. 

My issue with charter schools is 100% in the way they are implemented in Michigan (not a lot of knowlege in other States) and the blind devotion to the ideas behind charter. The system is set-up to allow private entities to profit from tax payers without being held accountable. So choosing Devos, the architect of one of the worst education systems in the country to become Secretary of Ed. is absolute disgrace. 

Besty came from one the wealthiest families in West Michigan...then she married into then wealthiest family in West Michigan...her husband spent 35 million of his own money to try and beat Jennifer Granholm in the governor race in 2006. People who have never been to the Grand Rapids-Holland area of West Michigan..just think of Mormons in Salt Lake City but all Christians and Baptist. DeVos family controls almost everything..go to downtown Grand Rapids..a beautiful area.  Can`t go one block without a DeVos named building. Saying goes "If you aint Dutch..you aint much"

My older daughter played against their daughter in club volleyball.  We would go to club events in Indy, Ohio..Wherever and this 20 seat limo/bus would be transporting their daughters whole team.  We saw that limo/bus everywhere they played.  While our parents were drinking Bud Light in the parking lot by our SUVs their parents were all hanging our by this limo/bus with a chef firing up a grill..it was unreal. 

Can`t say I ever saw Betsy because I did not really know who she was at the time..although all I probably had to do is look for the lady with her nose the highest up.

This is a good read on the DeVos family "cult" and how they manage their kids and grandkids.  I can only imagine if one of their kids crossed them they would be exiled.
Probably drinking a better beer too.

As a parent of children attending a charter school, I can say it's made a big difference in their quality of education.

As a parent of children attending a charter school, I can say it's made a big difference in their quality of education.
A big issue with “charter schools” is the definition of them. A charter in your neck of the woods is probably different than one in my neck of the woods or, at least, the idea of what one is. The charter schools in my area are no different or worse than the public schools and that is saying a lot. 

Another factor is the reasoning for charter schools in each respective area. The reasons often sited in my area are to allow urban kids to attend private schools and “get out” of the system. This is just an excuse to promote charters and pass more vouchers. Charter/private schools in my area raise prices to keep out those urban kids and vouchers are used to give tax breaks to the rich. The idea of a charter school has been bastardized in my area. 

This is very representative of the state of charters in Michigan 

Members of the board Wednesday said their hands were tied. Board President Roy Levy Williams said they don't make hiring and firing decisions, but contract these tasks out to a management company. In this case that's Innovative Teaching Solutions (ITS), run by school founder Melvin Smith, which then subcontracts to AES, run by Melvin Smith's wife, Karon, and her brothers Raymond and Scott. 

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2018/03/29/old-redford-academy-high-school-firings/438391002/

This is very representative of the state of charters in Michigan 

Members of the board Wednesday said their hands were tied. Board President Roy Levy Williams said they don't make hiring and firing decisions, but contract these tasks out to a management company. In this case that's Innovative Teaching Solutions (ITS), run by school founder Melvin Smith, which then subcontracts to AES, run by Melvin Smith's wife, Karon, and her brothers Raymond and Scott. 

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2018/03/29/old-redford-academy-high-school-firings/438391002/
"Old Redford Academy is a college preparatory high school is what I believed; it’s not what I see," said math teacher Lakeyla McCaskey. "I see students every single day in the hallways, in the classrooms with subs, vacancies ... since last year when I first came on board. What I want to know is what solutions are in place for these kids that are going to graduate, that I watched last year with no science and no math teacher, this year, again, with no science and no math teacher?"

This year, ninth- and 10th-grade biology classes have no teacher. Last year, ninth-grade earth science had no permanent teachers. Math teachers have been spotty as well. 

Fewer than 5% of students at the high school tested proficient in math last year; 18% were proficient in English."

What a disaster.  

Grace Under Pressure said:

"Old Redford Academy is a college preparatory high school is what I believed; it’s not what I see," said math teacher Lakeyla McCaskey. "I see students every single day in the hallways, in the classrooms with subs, vacancies ... since last year when I first came on board. What I want to know is what solutions are in place for these kids that are going to graduate, that I watched last year with no science and no math teacher, this year, again, with no science and no math teacher?"

This year, ninth- and 10th-grade biology classes have no teacher. Last year, ninth-grade earth science had no permanent teachers. Math teachers have been spotty as well.

Fewer than 5% of students at the high school tested proficient in math last year; 18% were proficient in English."

What a disaster.
"But think of all the taxpayer dollars we saved!" /Betsy

"But think of all the taxpayer dollars we saved!" /Betsy
That’s actually not true. The charter gets the same public money as a public school. The difference is in this charter school, the management company is profiting off the tax payer money.

And she continues to do what she does best: turn the education system into a means of private profit: 

DeVos has chosen Julian Schmoke Jr., former dean of the for-profit DeVry University, to head the Student Aid Enforcement Unit, whose purpose is to make sure that schools aren't misleading or defrauding students. In fact, when the Obama administration announced the creation of the Student Aid Enforcement Unit, they specifically cited DeVry misleading students about their prospects for future jobs and salaries. DeVry's parent company had to pay $100 million to the Federal Trade Commission over the allegations.
https://www.gq.com/story/devos-hires-devry-dean

So the person looking to make sure students aren't being defrauded is the leader of a school that got caught defrauding students. One of the key issues with Devry was they claimed 90% of their graduates received employment withi 6 months of graduating. They were unable to substantiate that claim. 

And she continues to do what she does best: turn the education system into a means of private profit: 

So the person looking to make sure students aren't being defrauded is the leader of a school that got caught defrauding students. One of the key issues with Devry was they claimed 90% of their graduates received employment withi 6 months of graduating. They were unable to substantiate that claim. 
This is next level trolling.

And I dont mean by you ilov80s (although I would hope you knew that)

She is on the stand today to discuss several things- including school safety. 

Also, she went to NYC last week but only visisted private school. No public or charter.
She only visited two religious schools. Where all of her comments were an affront to the basic tenet that is separation between church and state. So, a fairly typical outing for her.

Each time I see the thread bumped I privately hope it's because she's announcing her resignation. This is borderline disgusting already.

Again, a significant part of me actually thought this may be an Onion article. 

I can't for the life of me think what would motivate her to be SOE when she's got that kind of money.  Why?  Why subject yourself to the scrutiny, the work, the naysayers...what could possibly be the motivation for her? Education is obviously not the motivation..she's destroying that very methodically.  It's truly beyond me why she'd even bother.  

Sabertooth said:

I can't for the life of me think what would motivate her to be SOE when she's got that kind of money. Why? Why subject yourself to the scrutiny, the work, the naysayers...what could possibly be the motivation for her? Education is obviously not the motivation..she's destroying that very methodically. It's truly beyond me why she'd even bother.
The public school system is the #1 cause of secularism over the past 60 years.

Destroy it, and we become a Christian nation once again.

Saw that story on 60 minutes. Remarkable how easily people will invest without any kind of validation of the technology.
I thought validation testing existed except it was just forged. I didn't see the 60 minutes peace I was just reading about this in wired amd ecomonist a year ago. Apparently their Chief Operating Officer was a legit moron that knew nothing about science or engineering, which was tragicomedic.

I can't for the life of me think what would motivate her to be SOE when she's got that kind of money.  Why?  Why subject yourself to the scrutiny, the work, the naysayers...what could possibly be the motivation for her? Education is obviously not the motivation..she's destroying that very methodically.  It's truly beyond me why she'd even bother.  
I think she thinks she’s actually doing good. I’m not sure she’s doing it for religious reasons, but who knows. She probably wasn’t vying for the position, just donated a lot and trump decided to throw her the job.

Users who are viewing this thread