What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Betsy Devos....probably going to need her own thread. (1 Viewer)

“Betsy DeVos has brought a special mix of incompetence and malevolence to Washington — and that’s rocket fuel for every committee in a new Congress that will finally provide oversight,” said Seth Frotman, who resigned as the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s top student loan official earlier in protest of Trump administration policies likely to be examined by Democrats.

Good.  Title IX got kind of ridiculous during the Obama administration and is need of being dialed back.

Here's a less-inflammatory source that describes what she is proposing.
Reasonable people can disagree on several of these rules. And I don’t begrudge anyone taking a reasonable position, whether or not I agree.

The rules on what sexual harassment must be acted on are now pretty close to or actually the most restrictive rules for determining sexual harassment action in the country. Including in the Fifth Circuit.

Colleges don’t have to act on sexual harassment unless it’s so pervasive as to effectively deny educational services to a student.  That’s just going to lead us back into a very bad era.  Not that we ever really left, I guess.  But hey - try to bang your TAs again! No rules!

Some of the procedural rules that schools have adopted under Title IX (or more specifically, under guidance from the Department of Education purporting to construe Title IX) are bad.

I’d like to be on board with the sentiment that everything Betsy DeVos does is automatically bad because she’s obviously horrible ... but there’s such a thing as a broken clock occasionally telling the right time. Some of DeVos’s positions on Title IX stuff as applied to sexual assault cases may fit into that category.

I haven’t studied all of the details in this particular case. But in general, if Betsy DeVos ever gets anything right, it will probably be on this issue.

Maurile Tremblay said:
Some of the procedural rules that schools have adopted under Title IX (or more specifically, under guidance from the Department of Education purporting to construe Title IX) are bad.

I’d like to be on board with the sentiment that everything Betsy DeVos does is automatically bad because she’s obviously horrible ... but there’s such a thing as a broken clock occasionally telling the right time. Some of DeVos’s positions on Title IX stuff as applied to sexual assault cases may fit into that category.

I haven’t studied all of the details in this particular case. But in general, if Betsy DeVos ever gets anything right, it will probably be on this issue.
Some of them are ideas reasonable people could absolutely disagree on. 

Some are not. 

She's recommended elimination of federal funds for Special Olympics.  I'm sure it's been covered already but I had missed it.  I hope she enjoys hell.  
Listen, some people find it utterly grotesque that our billionaire-laden administration is proposing to eliminate $18 million in federal funding for the Special Olympics by pleading poverty after the same administration passed a two trillion dollar tax cut for billionaires.  Other people think this is a good thing because it owns the libs, or because they believe a billionaire upgrading the sound system on his backup yacht is way more important than improving the lives of people with physical and mental disabilities. These perspectives are equally valid, and we must be respectful of both of them and the people who have them.

Nah, just kidding. These people, and all of the people who empower them and stand with them, are awful human beings. It is our duty to call them out at every turn.

Also here's the link to donate to the Special Olympics. Not that you need to worry about their funding, Congress will make sure this cut never ever happens. Still, it's a nice gesture.

I haven't had the stomach to participate in this thread but for you fellows who have spent time trashing the completely trashable Betsy Devos, please accept this laurel, and hearty handshake from me.

She's pretty much the poster girl for Trump administration grift, amiright?

Last edited by a moderator:
Either she knew that she was cutting the $18 Million from the budget, which means everything to Special Olympics, but is literally a rounding error when compared to certain aspects of the budget, and she is an appalling person who I wonder how she looks in the mirror. Or, she didn't know, and she's incompetent. Take your pick. I'm going with: "Please Resign You Awful Person."

Do you remember how several people here tried to insist that he really wasn't mocking a handicapped person in that clip? @knowledge dropper was one of them; I think @Opie was another.

That was right around the time I began to realize that the Trump supporters were cult like.
Yea, it's strange.  I don't buy the whole "he's a horrible person, but I like his political views".  If I were ever presented with such a situation I would vote for the person that shares my political views and isn't a total POS.  It's telling that the GOP ended up with Cruz and Trump as the final choices.

Another example of trickle down policy.   Hey we can eliminate $16 million in funds because I am sure there are some rich people that will gladly give $16 million in donations to them.  I mean I (meaning her) won't donate any money but someone eventually will.  Not everyone is an evil C you in Toledo like her right    :doh:

Either she knew that she was cutting the $18 Million from the budget, which means everything to Special Olympics, but is literally a rounding error when compared to certain aspects of the budget, and she is an appalling person who I wonder how she looks in the mirror. Or, she didn't know, and she's incompetent. Take your pick. I'm going with: "Please Resign You Awful Person."
Not sure those have to be mutually exclusive positions.

Today she admitted she didn't write the budget within Dept of Ed and really wasn't the one to make the cuts. It was all done in "collaboration " with the White House she said and she personally didn't make the cuts. 

Never thought i'd agree w this piece o' work, but Special Olympics should absolutely be private. Depressed towns like mine are losing the subsidization battle to the ruinous costs of special ed in systems too small to care for their own already and i have to think that kind of dough is better spent getting our grad rate over 50%.

Supervillains React To Betsy DeVos's Proposal To Gut Funding For The Special Olympics

The Joker

Wait, really? Are you being serious right now? I thought that was an Onion headline, didn’t even read the article. Just scrolled right past it. Holy ####, she really got me with that one.

(pause)

You’re seriously not joking?

(extended pause)

Hang on, I’m googling this.

Never thought i'd agree w this piece o' work, but Special Olympics should absolutely be private. Depressed towns like mine are losing the subsidization battle to the ruinous costs of special ed in systems too small to care for their own already and i have to think that kind of dough is better spent getting our grad rate over 50%.
The money was going to be cut all together, not reallocated to something else and physical education opportunities like that program are unbelievably beneficial to the greater well being of the child.

The solution is to raise more revenue at the state and federal level instead of actinglike the programs that help people are the problem and it isn't the massive tax cuts enacted at both levels to benefit those who need it the least that cause the shortfall. 

The pie is huge we need more than crumbs.

The solution is to raise more revenue at the state and federal level instead of actinglike the programs that help people are the problem and it isn't the massive tax cuts enacted at both levels to benefit those who need it the least that cause the shortfall. 

The pie is huge we need more than crumbs.
My first full-time job, 48 years ago, was as an aide in a pilot for an IDEA (then EHA) program, but 40+ years of not saying no to special ed has led to towns like mine (which pays as much in transportation costs for a single kid we have to farm out as it costs to educate 3 kids entirely) not being able to say yes to its mainstream students for so long that we are guaranteeing poverty and a declining grand list to pay for either mainstream or special ed eventually. I'll take less rabid dogs than more cute puppies every time.

My first full-time job, 48 years ago, was as an aide in a pilot for an IDEA (then EHA) program, but 40+ years of not saying no to special ed has led to towns like mine (which pays as much in transportation costs for a single kid we have to farm out as it costs to educate 3 kids entirely) not being able to say yes to its mainstream students for so long that we are guaranteeing poverty and a declining grand list to pay for either mainstream or special ed eventually. I'll take less rabid dogs than more cute puppies every time.
I believe he’s suggesting that you don’t have to choose between special ed and other education like they’re claiming.  You’re choosing corporate tax cuts over special ed and they’re telling you you’re choosing other education. 

Like I said more revenue at the state and federal level.

I believe he’s suggesting that you don’t have to choose between special ed and other education like they’re claiming.  You’re choosing corporate tax cuts over special ed and they’re telling you you’re choosing other education. 
Too obvious to even respond to. 

G'ahead - spray the Febreze of your high-minded wishes all over this stinking country. Meanwhile, a town that used to matter - to our former pride, the only inland New England city on Hitler's target map cuz we made every gear used by the Allies - graduates 68 out of a class of 150 because of a system that no longer knows how to say yes or no.

Too obvious to even respond to. 

G'ahead - spray the Febreze of your high-minded wishes all over this stinking country. Meanwhile, a town that used to matter - to our former pride, the only inland New England city on Hitler's target map cuz we made every gear used by the Allies - graduates 68 out of a class of 150 because of a system that no longer knows how to say yes or no.
How does ending funding for special olympics help that?

I’d imagine it probably doesn’t. 
Got me there.

It's not Republican v Democrats, liberals v. conservatives anymore. It's junkyard strays v Doug the Pug. 

I'm strangely made. 19 years old, i wouldn't let Bonnie Raitt order a limo. Bonnie was the very opposite of a diva, even growing up in showbiz. I got about the luckiest break a kid could get to be running a tour for one of my idols before my 20th b'day. But i put my job on the line to tell her that if she wanted a limo she was going to call for it and pay for it, cuz you don't sing the blues AND order limos. I had just gone the distance for her on a personal thing and i used my instant leverage to make a point that i thought was important to the kind of artist she wanted to be. God bless her, she's stayed that kind of artist for 50 yrs and i'm proud of the possibility of having something to do with that.

You care. You do. You stay true.

I count among my greatest pleasures of a varied life the opportunity to help autistic kids - and, honestly, even the teachers knew little more about them than that they chilled when you played Pink Floyd records - turn the corner on dealing with the gen pop at stores & bowling alleys & such in those years that leaders determined that the mentally-challenged could be integrated into society 48 years ago. But since we first said yes to that, we've rarely said no since, because special ed is Doug the Pug. Educating the 10yo kid cooking her own eggs & pasta meal after meal cuz mom's been mostly loaded ever since dad realized that somewhere, anywhere is better than a dead Vermont mill town is handled by those who'll take bad money in a forgotten town and work without resources because town fathers' answer when the gear factories closed was to Section 8 all the evacuated houses to be occupied by fourteen sets of new problems, including the guy who sells mom Percodan since his sister ran away with dad. The 10yo is a junkyard stray and i'm not going to insult you by working the flow chart of what's likely to become of her.

The society that decided to pass IDEA was prosperous, forward thinking, responsible, populated by citizens. The society that is cranking out 10yo latchkey strays is self-involved, distracted, willfully oblivious, populated by customers. The day, 20 yrs ago, that i realized that more people knew where Monica bought the dress than a single policy initiative of the man who soiled it, i started to worry for my country. My worry turned to disgust when this country re-elected Dubya and to despair when the system inhaled Obama in less than six months. American is blues & limos, netpets & badbets. Y'all run your Doug the Pug thinking past somebody else. 

Got me there.

It's not Republican v Democrats, liberals v. conservatives anymore. It's junkyard strays v Doug the Pug. 

I'm strangely made. 19 years old, i wouldn't let Bonnie Raitt order a limo. Bonnie was the very opposite of a diva, even growing up in showbiz. I got about the luckiest break a kid could get to be running a tour for one of my idols before my 20th b'day. But i put my job on the line to tell her that if she wanted a limo she was going to call for it and pay for it, cuz you don't sing the blues AND order limos. I had just gone the distance for her on a personal thing and i used my instant leverage to make a point that i thought was important to the kind of artist she wanted to be. God bless her, she's stayed that kind of artist for 50 yrs and i'm proud of the possibility of having something to do with that.

I count among my greatest pleasures of a varied life the opportunity to help autistic kids - and, honestly, even the teachers knew little more about them than that they chilled when you played Pink Floyd records - turn the corner on dealing with the gen pop at stores & bowling alleys & such in those years that leaders determined that the mentally-challenged could be integrated into society 48 years ago. But since we first said yes to that, we've rarely said no since, because special ed is Doug the Pug. Educating the 10yo kid cooking her own eggs & pasta meal after meal cuz mom's been mostly loaded ever since dad realized that somewhere, anywhere is better than a dead Vermont mill town is handled by those who'll take bad money in a forgotten town and work without resources because town fathers' answer when the gear factories closed was to Section 8 all the evacuated houses to be occupied by fourteen sets of new problems, including the guy who sells mom Percodan since his sister ran away with dad. The 10yo is a junkyard stray and i'm not going to insult you by working the flow chart of what's likely to become of her.

The society that decided to pass IDEA was prosperous, forward thinking, responsible, populated by citizens. The society that is cranking out 10yo latchkey strays is self-involved, distracted, willfully oblivious, populated by customers. The day, 20 yrs ago, that i realized that more people knew where Monica bought the dress than a single policy initiative of the man who soiled it, i started to worry for my country. My worry turned to disgust when this country re-elected Dubya and to despair when the system inhaled Obama in less than six months. American is blues & limos, netpets & badbets. Y'all run your Doug the Pug thinking past somebody else. 
With all due respect...this is very hard to understand.

Got me there.

Perhaps the issue is not with the funding of the few.  Perhaps we need a wholesale change in mindset of the many.  And perhaps it will neither help nor harm the Doug the Pug mindset whatever we do with the funding.  Perhaps that is the battle for the soul of the nation that stands over all else.  

But while that battle rages, some must tie a yellow ribbon and keep the home front. And yes, that battle has raged a long while and many have been left behind.  And often when some are at war, those left behind sometimes fawn too much over those least capable.  And pay too little mind to those most capable.  And when a generation or more is lost to the war, it becomes a way of doing things.  

But wars end, one way or another.  And when they do, shall we win and come home to find those left behind have let it all fall apart? And forgotten our duties to the least? Or shall the other side, victorious, come take our homes and find that they were right to battle so, for we had no heart or priority or society worth saving?

If the world is ending, shall we drink ourselves to death? Shall we hire ladies of the evening by the dozen? Perhaps you shall.  I shall stay at the table.  And I shall finish the game, Doc.  I shall finish the game. 

I shall finish the game. 
God bless you.

I play each day in my own special way, but i don't keep score no more.

America's gone second-level bad. Most don't even know what the fight is anymore. That's why i've moved on to behavioral answers, because i no longer have a brand in this market. I'm pretty sure humanity won't turn around again until they realize that their lives are little but abstractions of animal instincts and their outlooks are the sims of prisoners. Our only hope not to suffer is intentional living, which i can teach right now if anyone was ready to hear. So i'll refine my texts and hope for a Boswell.

God bless you all.

Sorry @McJose - you fell into a rant & bad joke.

Blame it on the Bootyjudge - he made me care for a few days and look what it turned into. nufced

Users who are viewing this thread