Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sabertooth

Betsy Devos....probably going to need her own thread.

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Got me there.

It's not Republican v Democrats, liberals v. conservatives anymore. It's junkyard strays v Doug the Pug. 

I'm strangely made. 19 years old, i wouldn't let Bonnie Raitt order a limo. Bonnie was the very opposite of a diva, even growing up in showbiz. I got about the luckiest break a kid could get to be running a tour for one of my idols before my 20th b'day. But i put my job on the line to tell her that if she wanted a limo she was going to call for it and pay for it, cuz you don't sing the blues AND order limos. I had just gone the distance for her on a personal thing and i used my instant leverage to make a point that i thought was important to the kind of artist she wanted to be. God bless her, she's stayed that kind of artist for 50 yrs and i'm proud of the possibility of having something to do with that.

You care. You do. You stay true.

I count among my greatest pleasures of a varied life the opportunity to help autistic kids - and, honestly, even the teachers knew little more about them than that they chilled when you played Pink Floyd records - turn the corner on dealing with the gen pop at stores & bowling alleys & such in those years that leaders determined that the mentally-challenged could be integrated into society 48 years ago. But since we first said yes to that, we've rarely said no since, because special ed is Doug the Pug. Educating the 10yo kid cooking her own eggs & pasta meal after meal cuz mom's been mostly loaded ever since dad realized that somewhere, anywhere is better than a dead Vermont mill town is handled by those who'll take bad money in a forgotten town and work without resources because town fathers' answer when the gear factories closed was to Section 8 all the evacuated houses to be occupied by fourteen sets of new problems, including the guy who sells mom Percodan since his sister ran away with dad. The 10yo is a junkyard stray and i'm not going to insult you by working the flow chart of what's likely to become of her.

The society that decided to pass IDEA was prosperous, forward thinking, responsible, populated by citizens. The society that is cranking out 10yo latchkey strays is self-involved, distracted, willfully oblivious, populated by customers. The day, 20 yrs ago, that i realized that more people knew where Monica bought the dress than a single policy initiative of the man who soiled it, i started to worry for my country. My worry turned to disgust when this country re-elected Dubya and to despair when the system inhaled Obama in less than six months. American is blues & limos, netpets & badbets. Y'all run your Doug the Pug thinking past somebody else. 

With all due respect...this is very hard to understand.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, McJose said:

With all due respect...this is very hard to understand.

try this then

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Got me there.

It's not Republican v Democrats, liberals v. conservatives anymore. It's junkyard strays v Doug the Pug. 

I'm strangely made. 19 years old, i wouldn't let Bonnie Raitt order a limo. Bonnie was the very opposite of a diva, even growing up in showbiz. I got about the luckiest break a kid could get to be running a tour for one of my idols before my 20th b'day. But i put my job on the line to tell her that if she wanted a limo she was going to call for it and pay for it, cuz you don't sing the blues AND order limos. I had just gone the distance for her on a personal thing and i used my instant leverage to make a point that i thought was important to the kind of artist she wanted to be. God bless her, she's stayed that kind of artist for 50 yrs and i'm proud of the possibility of having something to do with that.

You care. You do. You stay true.

I count among my greatest pleasures of a varied life the opportunity to help autistic kids - and, honestly, even the teachers knew little more about them than that they chilled when you played Pink Floyd records - turn the corner on dealing with the gen pop at stores & bowling alleys & such in those years that leaders determined that the mentally-challenged could be integrated into society 48 years ago. But since we first said yes to that, we've rarely said no since, because special ed is Doug the Pug. Educating the 10yo kid cooking her own eggs & pasta meal after meal cuz mom's been mostly loaded ever since dad realized that somewhere, anywhere is better than a dead Vermont mill town is handled by those who'll take bad money in a forgotten town and work without resources because town fathers' answer when the gear factories closed was to Section 8 all the evacuated houses to be occupied by fourteen sets of new problems, including the guy who sells mom Percodan since his sister ran away with dad. The 10yo is a junkyard stray and i'm not going to insult you by working the flow chart of what's likely to become of her.

The society that decided to pass IDEA was prosperous, forward thinking, responsible, populated by citizens. The society that is cranking out 10yo latchkey strays is self-involved, distracted, willfully oblivious, populated by customers. The day, 20 yrs ago, that i realized that more people knew where Monica bought the dress than a single policy initiative of the man who soiled it, i started to worry for my country. My worry turned to disgust when this country re-elected Dubya and to despair when the system inhaled Obama in less than six months. American is blues & limos, netpets & badbets. Y'all run your Doug the Pug thinking past somebody else. 

Perhaps the issue is not with the funding of the few.  Perhaps we need a wholesale change in mindset of the many.  And perhaps it will neither help nor harm the Doug the Pug mindset whatever we do with the funding.  Perhaps that is the battle for the soul of the nation that stands over all else.  

But while that battle rages, some must tie a yellow ribbon and keep the home front. And yes, that battle has raged a long while and many have been left behind.  And often when some are at war, those left behind sometimes fawn too much over those least capable.  And pay too little mind to those most capable.  And when a generation or more is lost to the war, it becomes a way of doing things.  

But wars end, one way or another.  And when they do, shall we win and come home to find those left behind have let it all fall apart? And forgotten our duties to the least? Or shall the other side, victorious, come take our homes and find that they were right to battle so, for we had no heart or priority or society worth saving?

If the world is ending, shall we drink ourselves to death? Shall we hire ladies of the evening by the dozen? Perhaps you shall.  I shall stay at the table.  And I shall finish the game, Doc.  I shall finish the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

 I shall finish the game. 

God bless you.

I play each day in my own special way, but i don't keep score no more.

America's gone second-level bad. Most don't even know what the fight is anymore. That's why i've moved on to behavioral answers, because i no longer have a brand in this market. I'm pretty sure humanity won't turn around again until they realize that their lives are little but abstractions of animal instincts and their outlooks are the sims of prisoners. Our only hope not to suffer is intentional living, which i can teach right now if anyone was ready to hear. So i'll refine my texts and hope for a Boswell.

God bless you all.

Sorry @McJose - you fell into a rant & bad joke.

Blame it on the Bootyjudge - he made me care for a few days and look what it turned into. nufced

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Blame it on the Bootyjudge - he made me care for a few days and look what it turned into. nufced

The Bootyjudge is something else.  I hope he keeps living up to it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, McJose said:

With all due respect...this is very hard to understand.

“Oh, stewardess! I speak jive.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Devos: "I am pleased and grateful the President and I see eye-to-eye on this issue and that he has decided to fund our Special Olympics grant. This is funding I have fought for behind the scenes over the last several years."

Trump:  "I heard about it this morning. I have overridden my people. We're funding the Special Olympics."

So Trump and Devos both wanted to fund Special Olympics. It was only that guy who runs for coffee at the Dept. of Education who wanted to cut funding. Got it.

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, apalmer said:

Devos: "I am pleased and grateful the President and I see eye-to-eye on this issue and that he has decided to fund our Special Olympics grant. This is funding I have fought for behind the scenes over the last several years."

Trump:  "I heard about it this morning. I have overridden my people. We're funding the Special Olympics."

So Trump and Devos both wanted to fund Special Olympics. It was only that guy who runs for coffee at the Dept. of Education who wanted to cut funding. Got it.

Kushner?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm not defending the cuts for the Special Olympics (which won't even happen now), it would have been a drop in the bucket to the overall budget.  I did read this from another thread in another place, though, which might put some perspective on the situation and I didn't see already posted here:

"The Special Olympics is a well-respected organization that primarily relies on non-governmental contributions and grants and other income. Only 12% of the income in 2017 came from the government. The organization raised $129 million in 2017 and spent $111 million, leaving $18 million to go to the fund balance which had $80 million at year-end.

The average compensation of the 204 employees is $112,745. The executives are well compensated with the 12 most highly compensated individuals receiving $197,112 – $486,996 (including the Chairman who received more than $260,000 in 2017).

Although a political hot potato and very polarizing, the proposed $17.6 million cut in the proposed budget from the government is less than the unspent revenue the Special Olympics reported in 2017. Based on 2017, the Special Olympics could weather the cut and still provide the same services."

I understand that it would have been very difficult to remove the fact that the cuts were for the Special Olympics from the situation, but if you could, and replace it with another worthy potential benefactor, and looking at the above figures, would that have changed your thoughts?

Edited by matttyl
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

Never thought i'd agree w this piece o' work, but Special Olympics should absolutely be private. Depressed towns like mine are losing the subsidization battle to the ruinous costs of special ed in systems too small to care for their own already and i have to think that kind of dough is better spent getting our grad rate over 50%.

I have no issue with the government cutting it. They get a ton of private money. You are correct that the cost of SE is insane and Congress has never come close to meeting the funding promise they made when they passed IDEA. That said the special olympics has nothing to do with special education. 

15 hours ago, The Commish said:

The money was going to be cut all together, not reallocated to something else and physical education opportunities like that program are unbelievably beneficial to the greater well being of the child.

Depends on how you look at it. Aren't they calling for $60 billion more for charter schools? That to me is the real issue with the budget. Devos has been a key architect in bringing charter schools to Michigan and it has had a terrible impact on Michigan's education system. Public schools- especially those in struggling areas are seeing their resources zapped by for-profit businesses that deliver false hope to undereducated and desperate parents. It is disgusting. The modern conservatives are so obsessed to apply their Adam Smith economic policies to everything without being thinking enough to actually realize how those policies work. I understand the idea of choice sounds good. However, do we want education to be treated like a business where the students and parents become customers? That has had many terrible outcomes that were obvious to anyone who took 5 minutes to actually think it through and wasn't just obsessed with a couple of surface level concepts. 

13 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

Too obvious to even respond to. 

G'ahead - spray the Febreze of your high-minded wishes all over this stinking country. Meanwhile, a town that used to matter - to our former pride, the only inland New England city on Hitler's target map cuz we made every gear used by the Allies - graduates 68 out of a class of 150 because of a system that no longer knows how to say yes or no.

The city of Detroit seconds this post. 

Edited by Ilov80s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Depends on how you look at it. Aren't they calling for $60 billion more for charter schools? That to me is the real issue with the budget. Devos has been a key architect in bringing charter schools to Michigan and it has had a terrible impact on Michigan's education system. Public schools- especially those in struggling areas are seeing their resources zapped by for-profit businesses that deliver false hope to undereducated and desperate parents. It is disgusting. The modern conservatives are so obsessed to apply their Adam Smith economic policies to everything without being thinking enough to actually realize how those policies work. I understand the idea of choice sounds good. However, do we want education to be treated like a business where the students and parents become customers? That has had many terrible outcomes that were obvious to anyone who took 5 minutes to actually think it through and wasn't just obsessed with a couple of surface level concepts. 

This might be for a different thread, but I am interested in this Charter School thing.  Is there a single definition for what constitutes a Charter School?  I ask because my 11 year old is now in one and we don't pay anything for it, so I really have no idea how it's different than the school he was at other than the curriculum approach.  They still have to take all the same tests as the rest of the schools.  They function on the same schedules/rules as the other schools (best I can tell).  There is one difference that is noticeable between his school and my daughter's school (the one my son was also at last year).  At his previous school they have Physical Education 3-4 times a week plus recess each day.  At his new school he has Physical Education once a week and recess every day.  Those other slots are taken up by what he calls "special areas".....there are 6-7 that rotate through the month.  He's told me about things like film class, computer class, dance/music class, spanish, etc.  We entered both our kids in the lottery to get in, but only one was accepted.  We have entered our daughter again this year in hopes that we can have them at the same place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well you can fight for the America you want or you can say screw it. I got a little Quixote in me so fight it is for me. I have a cousin who is severely mentally, physically disabled. The help she got through these programs was life changing for her and her family. In my America that's what we do. We don't sacrifice the helpless on an altar of greed and avarice. And until I take my last breath I will continue to fight for that America.

No matter how foolish some think it to be 

Edited by NCCommish
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Commish said:

This might be for a different thread, but I am interested in this Charter School thing.  Is there a single definition for what constitutes a Charter School?  I ask because my 11 year old is now in one and we don't pay anything for it, so I really have no idea how it's different than the school he was at other than the curriculum approach.  They still have to take all the same tests as the rest of the schools.  They function on the same schedules/rules as the other schools (best I can tell).  There is one difference that is noticeable between his school and my daughter's school (the one my son was also at last year).  At his previous school they have Physical Education 3-4 times a week plus recess each day.  At his new school he has Physical Education once a week and recess every day.  Those other slots are taken up by what he calls "special areas".....there are 6-7 that rotate through the month.  He's told me about things like film class, computer class, dance/music class, spanish, etc.  We entered both our kids in the lottery to get in, but only one was accepted.  We have entered our daughter again this year in hopes that we can have them at the same place.

A charter school is a school run by a private entity but paid for through public money. Some States like Michigan allow them to operate for profit. So the business end of that is every student I can recruit to my charter school, I get ~$8000. If I can figure out a way to educate that kid for say $5000 then I get to keep the remaining $3000 for profit. The main idea behind charter schools in general is to provide another option for parents. If the parents don't like the public school, now there is an alternative. Overall data shows mixed results. There certainly are some charter schools that are doing very well. There are also many that are really bad. I think data seems to show the kids in charter schools overall don't perform any better than kids in public schools. 

Charter schools in theory should be performing better because they sometimes have ways of denying students with disabilities and behavior problems. They also get a self-selecting population of kids who have parents who at least care enough to bother to attempt to find what they think is a better school. I think some of the reasons they don't perform better are:

- If it is a for-profit State than obviously money that was supposed to fund a kid's education is turning into profit for a business owner or corporation.

- They don't have teacher unions so the teacher pay sucks and they often are subject to a lot of long hours and a lack of creative control. So this means most teachers don't want to work there. The average time a teacher spends at a charter before they quit or get a public school job tends to be pretty low (maybe 1.5 years?). So the only teachers at charters are ones who brand new out of school and/or are being passed over by every public school. My public high school hired a history teacher from a charter school a couple of years ago. Last year we were looking for a new science teacher but we didn't a single worthy applicant. I asked the former charter school history teacher why we weren't just poaching a science teacher from where the charter he used to work at. He laughed and said they didn't have math or science teachers. 

- It turns education into retail where schools have to treat kids/parents like customers. What is the best to make for happy parents/kids that want to stay in your school and keep the money coming in? Make sure the demands aren't too high, make sure the kids get good grades and the kids aren't punished for bad behavior. That is not conducive to creating the best school with the best outcomes. Kids need to be challenged and face consequences. 

The worst part is they suck money from public schools. Every time a public school kid leaves, the school loses money. The most typical users of charter schools in Michigan are in lower SES areas and it is kids who have parents who at least care enough to try a better option. So that local public school is losing money and potentially some of their better students. In addition, since there is competition for kids, public and charter schools are now funneling money away from education and into marketing budgets. 

 

As for how your charter school breaks up their day is irrelevant to what a charter school. Just like 2 public elementary schools might differ how often they have recess or art class or what specials are offered. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the discussion of charter schools is absolutely for this thread. She's the queen of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

A charter school is a school run by a private entity but paid for through public money. Some States like Michigan allow them to operate for profit. So the business end of that is every student I can recruit to my charter school, I get ~$8000. If I can figure out a way to educate that kid for say $5000 then I get to keep the remaining $3000 for profit. The main idea behind charter schools in general is to provide another option for parents. If the parents don't like the public school, now there is an alternative. Overall data shows mixed results. There certainly are some charter schools that are doing very well. There are also many that are really bad. I think data seems to show the kids in charter schools overall don't perform any better than kids in public schools. 

Charter schools in theory should be performing better because they sometimes have ways of denying students with disabilities and behavior problems. They also get a self-selecting population of kids who have parents who at least care enough to bother to attempt to find what they think is a better school. I think some of the reasons they don't perform better are:

- If it is a for-profit State than obviously money that was supposed to fund a kid's education is turning into profit for a business owner or corporation.

- They don't have teacher unions so the teacher pay sucks and they often are subject to a lot of long hours and a lack of creative control. So this means most teachers don't want to work there. The average time a teacher spends at a charter before they quit or get a public school job tends to be pretty low (maybe 1.5 years?). So the only teachers at charters are ones who brand new out of school and/or are being passed over by every public school. My public high school hired a history teacher from a charter school a couple of years ago. Last year we were looking for a new science teacher but we didn't a single worthy applicant. I asked the former charter school history teacher why we weren't just poaching a science teacher from where the charter he used to work at. He laughed and said they didn't have math or science teachers. 

- It turns education into retail where schools have to treat kids/parents like customers. What is the best to make for happy parents/kids that want to stay in your school and keep the money coming in? Make sure the demands aren't too high, make sure the kids get good grades and the kids aren't punished for bad behavior. That is not conducive to creating the best school with the best outcomes. Kids need to be challenged and face consequences. 

The worst part is they suck money from public schools. Every time a public school kid leaves, the school loses money. The most typical users of charter schools in Michigan are in lower SES areas and it is kids who have parents who at least care enough to try a better option. So that local public school is losing money and potentially some of their better students. In addition, since there is competition for kids, public and charter schools are now funneling money away from education and into marketing budgets. 

 

As for how your charter school breaks up their day is irrelevant to what a charter school. Just like 2 public elementary schools might differ how often they have recess or art class or what specials are offered. 

Good info....my son's school describes itself as 
 

Quote

a high performing, tuition-free public charter school of choice ....providing a high-level academic program infused with a concentration in the arts. 

He's been there just this year, but to my knowledge, most of the teachers there have been there from inception in 2011.  Based on your explanation it seems to be the exception rather than the rule....I guess we lucked out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

Got me there.

It's not Republican v Democrats, liberals v. conservatives anymore. It's junkyard strays v Doug the Pug. 

I'm strangely made. 19 years old, i wouldn't let Bonnie Raitt order a limo. Bonnie was the very opposite of a diva, even growing up in showbiz. I got about the luckiest break a kid could get to be running a tour for one of my idols before my 20th b'day. But i put my job on the line to tell her that if she wanted a limo she was going to call for it and pay for it, cuz you don't sing the blues AND order limos. I had just gone the distance for her on a personal thing and i used my instant leverage to make a point that i thought was important to the kind of artist she wanted to be. God bless her, she's stayed that kind of artist for 50 yrs and i'm proud of the possibility of having something to do with that.

You care. You do. You stay true.

I count among my greatest pleasures of a varied life the opportunity to help autistic kids - and, honestly, even the teachers knew little more about them than that they chilled when you played Pink Floyd records - turn the corner on dealing with the gen pop at stores & bowling alleys & such in those years that leaders determined that the mentally-challenged could be integrated into society 48 years ago. But since we first said yes to that, we've rarely said no since, because special ed is Doug the Pug. Educating the 10yo kid cooking her own eggs & pasta meal after meal cuz mom's been mostly loaded ever since dad realized that somewhere, anywhere is better than a dead Vermont mill town is handled by those who'll take bad money in a forgotten town and work without resources because town fathers' answer when the gear factories closed was to Section 8 all the evacuated houses to be occupied by fourteen sets of new problems, including the guy who sells mom Percodan since his sister ran away with dad. The 10yo is a junkyard stray and i'm not going to insult you by working the flow chart of what's likely to become of her.

The society that decided to pass IDEA was prosperous, forward thinking, responsible, populated by citizens. The society that is cranking out 10yo latchkey strays is self-involved, distracted, willfully oblivious, populated by customers. The day, 20 yrs ago, that i realized that more people knew where Monica bought the dress than a single policy initiative of the man who soiled it, i started to worry for my country. My worry turned to disgust when this country re-elected Dubya and to despair when the system inhaled Obama in less than six months. American is blues & limos, netpets & badbets. Y'all run your Doug the Pug thinking past somebody else. 

This popped into my head reading this:

https://youtu.be/MGxjIBEZvx0

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

Got me there.

It's not Republican v Democrats, liberals v. conservatives anymore. It's junkyard strays v Doug the Pug. 

I'm strangely made. 19 years old, i wouldn't let Bonnie Raitt order a limo. Bonnie was the very opposite of a diva, even growing up in showbiz. I got about the luckiest break a kid could get to be running a tour for one of my idols before my 20th b'day. But i put my job on the line to tell her that if she wanted a limo she was going to call for it and pay for it, cuz you don't sing the blues AND order limos. I had just gone the distance for her on a personal thing and i used my instant leverage to make a point that i thought was important to the kind of artist she wanted to be. God bless her, she's stayed that kind of artist for 50 yrs and i'm proud of the possibility of having something to do with that.

You care. You do. You stay true.

I count among my greatest pleasures of a varied life the opportunity to help autistic kids - and, honestly, even the teachers knew little more about them than that they chilled when you played Pink Floyd records - turn the corner on dealing with the gen pop at stores & bowling alleys & such in those years that leaders determined that the mentally-challenged could be integrated into society 48 years ago. But since we first said yes to that, we've rarely said no since, because special ed is Doug the Pug. Educating the 10yo kid cooking her own eggs & pasta meal after meal cuz mom's been mostly loaded ever since dad realized that somewhere, anywhere is better than a dead Vermont mill town is handled by those who'll take bad money in a forgotten town and work without resources because town fathers' answer when the gear factories closed was to Section 8 all the evacuated houses to be occupied by fourteen sets of new problems, including the guy who sells mom Percodan since his sister ran away with dad. The 10yo is a junkyard stray and i'm not going to insult you by working the flow chart of what's likely to become of her.

The society that decided to pass IDEA was prosperous, forward thinking, responsible, populated by citizens. The society that is cranking out 10yo latchkey strays is self-involved, distracted, willfully oblivious, populated by customers. The day, 20 yrs ago, that i realized that more people knew where Monica bought the dress than a single policy initiative of the man who soiled it, i started to worry for my country. My worry turned to disgust when this country re-elected Dubya and to despair when the system inhaled Obama in less than six months. American is blues & limos, netpets & badbets. Y'all run your Doug the Pug thinking past somebody else. 

This popped into my head reading this:

https://youtu.be/MGxjIBEZvx0

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of funny that after Trump reverses the policy on the Special Olympics, he says “I overruled my people” while DeVos says “I convinced him to do this.” Both taking the credit and implying it was the other one’s initial decision to withhold the funds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Commish said:

Good info....my son's school describes itself as 
 

He's been there just this year, but to my knowledge, most of the teachers there have been there from inception in 2011.  Based on your explanation it seems to be the exception rather than the rule....I guess we lucked out.

There are some excellent charter schools. I think Michigan has made the massive mistake of inviting the for-profit aspect into and also Michigan has really weak checks on charter schools. Michigan and Florida were found to have really high levels of corruption and lack of transparency in their charters. There are likely other States that have handled it much better in how they are operated. 

As for your school, many of the charters will have special areas of emphasis: arts or STEM, etc. The tuition-free school of choice is all fluff (from my understanding but I don't know charter law in every State). Since charters are publically funded, they don't charge tuitions. School of choice means you can choose to send your kid there from out of district. I could be wrong, but I didn't think any charters required their students to live within their district. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Kind of funny that after Trump reverses the policy on the Special Olympics, he says “I overruled my people” while DeVos says “I convinced him to do this.” Both taking the credit and implying it was the other one’s initial decision to withhold the funds. 

Not sure if it was intended but it was a smart way to create a distraction from the actual significant parts of the Ed budget. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ilov80s said:

There are some excellent charter schools. I think Michigan has made the massive mistake of inviting the for-profit aspect into and also Michigan has really weak checks on charter schools. Michigan and Florida were found to have really high levels of corruption and lack of transparency in their charters. There are likely other States that have handled it much better in how they are operated. 

As for your school, many of the charters will have special areas of emphasis: arts or STEM, etc. The tuition-free school of choice is all fluff (from my understanding but I don't know charter law in every State). Since charters are publically funded, they don't charge tuitions. School of choice means you can choose to send your kid there from out of district. I could be wrong, but I didn't think any charters required their students to live within their district. 

We're in Florida :lmao:

And this isn't the school he'd normally be slated for based on where we live.  It's definitely a "choice" to move him there, but it's in the district which is weird.  Florida has several things they do that leave me scratching my head.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Commish said:

We're in Florida :lmao:

And this isn't the school he'd normally be slated for based on where we live.  It's definitely a "choice" to move him there, but it's in the district which is weird.  Florida has several things they do that leave me scratching my head.

Here is more reading on Florida and their not so hot charter system

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matttyl said:

I'm not defending the cuts for the Special Olympics (which won't even happen now), it would have been a drop in the bucket to the overall budget.  I did read this from another thread in another place, though, which might put some perspective on the situation and I didn't see already posted here:

"The Special Olympics is a well-respected organization that primarily relies on non-governmental contributions and grants and other income. Only 12% of the income in 2017 came from the government. The organization raised $129 million in 2017 and spent $111 million, leaving $18 million to go to the fund balance which had $80 million at year-end.

The average compensation of the 204 employees is $112,745. The executives are well compensated with the 12 most highly compensated individuals receiving $197,112 – $486,996 (including the Chairman who received more than $260,000 in 2017).

Although a political hot potato and very polarizing, the proposed $17.6 million cut in the proposed budget from the government is less than the unspent revenue the Special Olympics reported in 2017. Based on 2017, the Special Olympics could weather the cut and still provide the same services."

I understand that it would have been very difficult to remove the fact that the cuts were for the Special Olympics from the situation, but if you could, and replace it with another worthy potential benefactor, and looking at the above figures, would that have changed your thoughts?

The Special Olympics was founded in 1968.  Yes, last year they had a budget surplus, but if they had an $18 million surplus every year they wouldn't have an $80 million fund after 50 years.

More importantly, while most people don't know this, the Special Olympics is one of the largest providers of free health services to the intellectually and physically disabled community in the world.  The Special Olympics Health Program has an unbelievable return rate on federal funding, and has provided millions of free health and disease screenings in over 100 countries as well as training over 200,000 health care professionals in countries around the world.

We need to fund this organization.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

The Special Olympics was founded in 1968.  Yes, last year they had a budget surplus, but if they had an $18 million surplus every year they wouldn't have an $80 million fund after 50 years.

More importantly, while most people don't know this, the Special Olympics is one of the largest providers of free health services to the intellectually and physically disabled community in the world.  The Special Olympics Health Program has an unbelievable return rate on federal funding, and has provided millions of free health and disease screenings in over 100 countries as well as training over 200,000 health care professionals in countries around the world.

We need to fund this organization.

I fully agree, and we will be.  Just thought adding some actual numbers to the discussion would be helpful.  "We", as in public money accounted for only 12% of their funding in 2017.  Coca cola, for instance, has given over $180m to the organization (not in one year). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, matttyl said:

I fully agree, and we will be.  Just thought adding some actual numbers to the discussion would be helpful.  "We", as in public money accounted for only 12% of their funding in 2017.  Coca cola, for instance, has given over $180m to the organization (not in one year). 

Their health and education initiative is heavily funded by federal and state dollars.  It's not 12% of that budget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Their health and education initiative is heavily funded by federal and state dollars.  It's not 12% of that budget.

2017 financial report.

The statement was that it was 12% of their 2017 funding.  I guess you were right, federal grant funding accounted for only 10% of their revenue.  Same as it was in 2016.  The source I quoted above was also off on their amount of assets - it was over $93m. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, matttyl said:

2017 financial report.

The statement was that it was 12% of their 2017 funding.  I guess you were right, federal grant funding accounted for only 10% of their revenue.  Same as it was in 2016.  The source I quoted above was also off on their amount of assets - it was over $93m. 

And, again, I am not referring to the entire organization with that statement.  I am referring specifically to their health and education initiatives, which are heavily funded by Federal and State dollars.  I don't understand why your response to that is this link.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Henry Ford said:

And, again, I am not referring to the entire organization with that statement.  I am referring specifically to their health and education initiatives, which are heavily funded by Federal and State dollars.  I don't understand why your response to that is this link.

Because it backs up the statement that I quoted originally that you responded to.  I don't understand why your response was about a specific initiative of theirs, when the conversation was about their overall federal funding or potential lack thereof. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, matttyl said:

Because it backs up the statement that I quoted originally that you responded to.  I don't understand why your response was about a specific initiative of theirs, when the conversation was about their overall federal funding or potential lack thereof. 

I don't and didn't disagree with your original statement about total funding.

My response was about a specific initiative because a specific program of theirs relies heavily on federal funding - very little (if any) of the federal funding is used for things like competitions or training.  Instead, those dollars are used to provide health services and healthcare provider training around the world.  Which is one reason why it is very important to keep that funding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

I don't and didn't disagree with your original statement about total funding.

My response was about a specific initiative because a specific program of theirs relies heavily on federal funding - very little (if any) of the federal funding is used for things like competitions or training.  Instead, those dollars are used to provide health services and healthcare provider training around the world.  Which is one reason why it is very important to keep that funding.

The Healthy Communities/Healthy Athletes Initiatives?  Doesn't that support come from the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention, not the Department of Education?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

Perhaps the issue is not with the funding of the few.  Perhaps we need a wholesale change in mindset of the many.  And perhaps it will neither help nor harm the Doug the Pug mindset whatever we do with the funding.  Perhaps that is the battle for the soul of the nation that stands over all else.  

But while that battle rages, some must tie a yellow ribbon and keep the home front. And yes, that battle has raged a long while and many have been left behind.  And often when some are at war, those left behind sometimes fawn too much over those least capable.  And pay too little mind to those most capable.  And when a generation or more is lost to the war, it becomes a way of doing things.  

But wars end, one way or another.  And when they do, shall we win and come home to find those left behind have let it all fall apart? And forgotten our duties to the least? Or shall the other side, victorious, come take our homes and find that they were right to battle so, for we had no heart or priority or society worth saving?

If the world is ending, shall we drink ourselves to death? Shall we hire ladies of the evening by the dozen? Perhaps you shall.  I shall stay at the table.  And I shall finish the game, Doc.  I shall finish the game. 

I'm more like Charlie, a pugilist rather than a gunslinger and a fellow that doesn't want to come to the end without getting his carrot wet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

I'm more like Charlie, a pugilist rather than a gunslinger and a fellow that doesn't want to come to the end without getting his carrot wet.

When it comes down to it, they were buried side by side at the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Any of you happen to catch Devos' defense of having LARGER class sizes?  :lmao: 

Enjoy

Love the guy shaking his head in the background!!

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

When it comes down to it, they were buried side by side at the end.

Yes, but years apart as Brushy Bill Roberts had a long life.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sinn Fein said:

Love the guy shaking his head in the background!!

:lmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

Love the guy shaking his head in the background!!

That is the perfect live-action version of SMDH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Commish said:

Any of you happen to catch Devos' defense of having LARGER class sizes?  :lmao: 

Enjoy

I still can't believe that this woman is, in a roundabout way, my boss.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love this administration. They seem to have all sorts of sources they can’t site for their terrible ideas. Surprised she didn’t say “you can google it yourself” a la message board rebuttal. 

Start asking every one of these people- “can you name one source? You have plenty...how about an author? A group that did the research? Anything at all about one of your many sources? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snorkelson said:

Love this administration. They seem to have all sorts of sources they can’t site for their terrible ideas. Surprised she didn’t say “you can google it yourself” a la message board rebuttal. 

Start asking every one of these people- “can you name one source? You have plenty...how about an author? A group that did the research? Anything at all about one of your many sources? 

It should probably be "credible source" otherwise you know what's going to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snorkelson said:

Love this administration. They seem to have all sorts of sources they can’t site for their terrible ideas. Surprised she didn’t say “you can google it yourself” a la message board rebuttal. 

Start asking every one of these people- “can you name one source? You have plenty...how about an author? A group that did the research? Anything at all about one of your many sources? 

"Me, I'm the source. I'm the Education Profiteer in... I mean thinky school person. I just said it. Larger classes mean higher profi...I mean more A's. And once my new initiative to lower the threshold for A's and B's to 75 and 50, respectively, is implemented this will all be proven by your precious <finger quotes> data. I said it and you heard it with your own ears, are you denying that?"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should conduct an experiment.

Give DeVos a class of 35 5th Graders for 1 week of education.

 

Give a random 5th Grade teacher a class of 20 students for 1 week,

 

At the end of the week, give the students a standardized test, and see how it goes.  :shrug:

 

My guess is that Ms. DeVos won't need to know how the test results go to figure out how asinine it is to put 35-40 students in a room with a single teacher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just add it to the list.

Trump and his administration are redefining the word "stupid." As in, they keep piling on how stupid each statement, proposal, or daily activity they want us to believe. And, people buy it. OMG!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mario Kart said:

Just add it to the list.

Trump and his administration are redefining the word "stupid." As in, they keep piling on how stupid each statement, proposal, or daily activity they want us to believe. And, people buy it. OMG!

Well, at least they are not redefining the word "honda"

😉

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"it's an open press event sponsored by the government"

(except that it's not open, and it's almost entirely controlled by private entities)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.