Dr. Octopus

2017 New York Jets: Best Offense in New York

424 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Kiddnets said:

all I hear is Powell cant handles the full load of carries....yet Ive never seen him get the chance except late last season when he dominated.....if Bowles thinks playing Forte at all let alone give him him the majority of snaps the 1st half is literally mind boggling.  

If true, than work McGuire in and sign some practice squad level guy. I thought McGuire actually looked like a player in the preseason, may as well see what you have in him.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Kiddnets said:

there are some bad teams out there....if Luck doesnt come back Indy is right in the mix for the top pick (which is ironically how they got Luck in the 1st place)....SF looked horrific.....so thats 2 teams that worry me....still not convinced on Buffalo, Cleveland...Jax looks good enough to be out of the top 2 mix but still early......I swear if we endure this horrific season and end up outside the top 2 I may need to take some time off. 

While Indy wouldn't take a QB they would open up a slot for trade ups. After a certain point I don't see why they would bother risking Luck this season - they worry me the most. Cleveland and Jax are both on the schedule and should stomp the Jets so I'm not as concerned with them. Indy, Buffalo (let's face it the fact the Jets were sort of in that game speaks to how bad the Bills are also) and SF are the biggest threats to the top pick.

Now that the Pats have no shot at being undefeated and should still have a nice cushion in the division, we can all see where this is going - a Week 17 victory over the Pats third string players to lose out on the top pick.

2 people like this

My thoughts:

I've been following this team since I was 4, 46 years ago. I have never missed a game. I feel nothing now. Aside from following this team, I'm pretty practical. No point trying to win any games, but I would like to see player development.

I used to think Herm was terrible, but Bowles is way worse. He's a zombie. No emotion, no thinking.

Defense: Lee and Davis piled up tackles, but they're not very good.

Mo? Wtf. The Invisible Man.

Burris does have potential, but that pick was a gift. At first I laughed that our own man (Maye?) tackled him, but he got pushed into him when I saw the replay.

It always sucked losing Snacks. The middle of our dline is a turnstile. They should have kept Simon.

Martin and Ealy looked ok.

The safeties had good and bad moments.

OFFENSE:

I hope McCown doesn't play more than 2 more games max. I rather see Petty or Hack.

The oline was attrocious. I guess when you don't draft anyone for the position in the top 3 rounds, this is what happens.

Forte. Omg, Just relegate him to the bench. Keep him as the third back. More time for Powell and McGuire please.

TEs: not much here although Tye was way better than what he have been dragging out these past few years. At least the TE is in the playbook again.

How the hell did we not hand off the ball to Powell inside the two? Not even once. Shades of last year's dumb OC.

WRs: Kearse looked ok, but I hope we see more of Hansen and Stewart a few games down the road. I'm surprised we didn't take a shot down the field with Anderson.

It's going to be a long season, but everything is still on target for a top pick. Hopefully Indy wins a few games down the road. We just have to escape the early schedule as we have a few games in there that we should at least be close.

3 people like this

Cimini: Jets coach Todd Bowles said his controversial decision to punt near midfield with four minutes left, down by two scores, was a no-brainer.

Yeah, exactly. He doesn't have a brain.

2 people like this

15 minutes ago, NYRAGE said:

Cimini: Jets coach Todd Bowles said his controversial decision to punt near midfield with four minutes left, down by two scores, was a no-brainer.

During his press conference he said (paraphrasing) that if you go for it there and don't make it you give them a short field and allow them to increase the lead potentially. He said he wanted to pin them back, force them to punt and then get good field position and put the offense in position to score twice. All of this while down two scores with 4 minutes left and the Jets only managing 12 points during the other 56 minutes of game time. The guy is a total buffoon. 

2 people like this

Yes bowles is beyond awful. Just has no clue. None.

At least kearse seems like a live body for next year when enunwa comes back

1 person likes this

Wow. This team...

oof.  

1 hour ago, NYRAGE said:

But his stupidity will help them secure a franchise QB for the next 15 years.  Of course he will need to be fired as soon as the season is over. He could go down as the man that got the job done. They just need to make the correct pick.

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Colts without luck are worse

They should get him back long enough to be a non factor for the #1 pick, which they would trade to the highest bidder.

11 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Colts without luck are worse

They sure are.  Boy, the Colts. I think I can go back to the very moment they "almost" had something and then got incredibly stupid. In that draft when they took Dorsett and passed on o-line and defense it was like they were trying to get too cute and stack more of of the same on a roster that had holes but, boy, one good draft there could have put them on the real path.  

It IS a game of inches. 

1 person likes this

25 minutes ago, lod001 said:

But his stupidity will help them secure a franchise QB for the next 15 years.  Of course he will need to be fired as soon as the season is over. He could go down as the man that got the job done. They just need to make the correct pick.

Yes, but do we trust the other buffoon to make the right pick? Baby steps I guess. Get a top 3 pick, dump the coach and GM. Then bring in someone that would love to draft a top QB and have a boatload of cash for free agency.  Mac can go work for his childhood dream: Starbucks. The employee discount is a great perk for him.

1 person likes this

Dorsett was an incredibly stupid pick. At least they ripped off a pick from NE. Ignoring OL is criminal when you have a guy like Luck. They are paying a heavy price. Then it takes a couple years to rebuild the OL. See Dallas. They did a fantastic job of protecting their QB a few years back. Oakland as well. With a franchise QB, if you have time to throw, you don't need top of the line WRs. See Brady.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, NYRAGE said:

Yes, but do we trust the other buffoon to make the right pick? Baby steps I guess. Get a top 3 pick, dump the coach and GM. Then bring in someone that would love to draft a top QB and have a boatload of cash for free agency.  Mac can go work for his childhood dream: Starbucks. The employee discount is a great perk for him.

That is the toughest challenge. They are odds on favorite for the top pick. Making the correct pick is a tough when there will be 3 guys there and Josh Allen may be the best of the 3.

The Colts are honestly a worse franchise than the Jets. They're just really lucky that Manning went back to school in 97 and got hurt the year that he did (allowing them to get luck)

They've never put together good rosters around either one of them. They had 4 or 5 other good players with Manning but the rest of the team was generally garbage. With Luck, its even worse. 

8 minutes ago, TLEF316 said:

The Colts are honestly a worse franchise than the Jets. They're just really lucky that Manning went back to school in 97 and got hurt the year that he did (allowing them to get luck)

They've never put together good rosters around either one of them. They had 4 or 5 other good players with Manning but the rest of the team was generally garbage. With Luck, its even worse. 

They might be worse, but it just feels wrong to say that coming from our perspective. We are a complete ####e show from top to bottom.

How do GMs not see how vital the OL is....Jets made their great decade long run after drafting Brick and Mangold in the 1st round in 2006....in the ten yrs since that 2006 draft they drafted zero offensive lineman in the 1st rd...1 in the 2d rd (crappy vlad ducasse) and 1 in the 3rd rd (decent Winters)...thats 2 OL in the 1st 3 friggin rds in the past ten yrs...that's insane knowing Brick and Mangold were getting up there in age....with good/great OL it made average to below average talent like Thomas Jones and Mark Sanchez good enough to get to the AFC CG....back to the basics please...get the QB with the 1st pick and protect him with the 2 2d rd picks. 

Edited by Kiddnets
1 person likes this

I can't wait for Bowles to be fired.

How does he keep Petty on the bench in the 4th Q of a blowout loss. McCown didn't deserve to be "benched" but I'm sure he would have understood if Bowles said "Good job, but we want to see what the kid can do..."

How does a team that has no chance of winning trot out a 37 year old QB and a 31 year old RB to lead it's offense?

How does a team draft a WR in Round 3 and Round 4 but let them lose snaps to Jeremy Kerley? Kearse has looked good and keeping one veteran out there is fine (plus he could have a future with the team) but letting Kerley on the field instead of Stewart is just a total waste.

Forte looked better than last week, but McGuire looked so much more explosive. And why is Powell not in the gameplan?

If Bowles does not want to do what's best for the franchise and pretend that this team has a chance to win, just fire him now.

1 person likes this

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:51 PM, TLEF316 said:

There are rumors floating around that they could tank this season, draft a QB and trade Luck. Irsay/Grigson are morons and it is a worse run franchise than the Jets.

They play Cleveland this week - that could be telling.

Powell looked like his leg got rolled up on early in the game - maybe his first carry?  I'm wondering if that's why he didn't see as many snaps. 

The offense is flat out atrocious across the board. Can't run.  Can't pass.  Can't protect.

The muffed punt at the end of the first half was brutal and put the game out of reach.

The defense was on the field for the entire first half and was gassed in the second half - it showed it their woeful tackling.  No pass rush, no ability to stop the short passing game, and no TOs further prevented them from getting off the field. 

2 people like this

Also Jets next three games: Miami, Cleveland and Jax are all "winnable", I'm guessing they may take one of them which lowers their margin of error towards the goal. 

1 person likes this

A guy in my office is convinced that bowles is "a good coach" because he was one game away from the playoffs 2 years ago. 

I think he has, let's just call it "other reasons" for defending him and I'm pretty sure he thinks I have "other reasons" for wanting him out. So now we're caught in this bizarre awkward ongoing conflict where both of us thinks the other is sort of racist due to our stance on bowles but neither will confront the other one about it.

The life of a jets fan...

For the record.... not racist. Unless terrible coaches are now their own race.

1 minute ago, TLEF316 said:

A guy in my office is convinced that bowles is "a good coach" because he was one game away from the playoffs 2 years ago. 

I think what his team did in that "one game" is pretty telling.

In all fairness, Bowles has no chance to win this year with this roster - but it's pretty clear he's not a good coach.

1 person likes this

UPDATE-

So Another Draft Pick, Darren Lee looks like pure Garbage.... getting rag dolled all over the field. Not even sure how he sits and watches the Tape in front of Teammates.

Too soon to call a Bust but, We're probably at the stage now where you just hope the guy finds a role and is serviceable. Mauldin too looks worthless.

Team Tank going ok in the L column but, refusal to Play young WR's and get them experience is worrisome.

ONLY reason I see to play McCown would be some crazy thing like getting more opportunities for young WR"s... But, they don't play so much....:rant:

I miss Geno. (Lol) :wub:

Serious now... How much more fun would everyone have if they got to Argue about Geno instead of 38 year old Waste or 2 QB's who can't even dream to do what Geno did as a Rookie....  On the brite side IMO Geno would ruin the Tank anyway.... 

Oh Well.... Check back in a few weeks..... 

Edited by Reaper