What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 New York Jets: Robby Anderson has been arrested in Florida for the second straight offseason. This is why we can't have nice things. (2 Viewers)

Dr. Octopus

Footballguy
Let's put the 2016 disaster in the rear view mirror and look forward to the 2017 disaster.

A History of Thread Titles:

Trump Already Making America Great Again By Shipping Woody to England

Revis has been charged with four felonies none of which involve stealing $39MM from the Jets

No QB? No WRs? No TE? No O-linemen? No Problem.

Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith are Free Agents

Josh McCown set to earn a cool $1.5MM extra when the Jets hoist the Lombardi

Draft Approaches; Any good FBs coming out?

McCown, Petty And Hack, oh my!

Can They Ever Recover From Being Spurned By Jay Cutler?

Future Hotels.com spokesman Brandon Marshall says Jets "have no chance to win in 2017".

Christian is Thrown to the Lions.

"He gives us the best chance to win right now" says Todd Bowles before leaving the podium to weep incessantly"

Best Offense in New York

The Giants are even better than the Jets at "Sucking for Sam"

NFL officials saw “clear and obvious” evidence of an ASJ fumble. They also saw Elvis buying a chili dog and large Coke at a 7-11 on Route 3 after the game.

Josh McCown finally got around to reading Mike Maccagnan's memo "Re: 2017 Tanking Plan"

Call it Friendo...Heads we tank..tails we make a playoff run

Where have you gone, Drunken Joe Namath? Jet nation turns its lonely eyes to you

Josh McCown out for the season, but don't worry he'll be healthy for training camp.

Christian doesn't work on Christmas Eve (or New Year's Eve).

Last edited by a moderator:

Jets RG Brian Winters received $15 million guaranteed in his four-year, $29-million extension.
It is a big guarantee for an upper-middle-class starter, and the $7.25-million average puts him inside the top-ten at the position. The Jets are obviously banking on the 25-year-old taking a step forward from solid starter to Pro-Bowl caliber during the life of the contract. The deal is great news for impending free agents like T.J. Lang, Ronald Leary, and Larry Warford. Jan 17 - 12:31 PM

Probably a small overpay, but the last thing the Jets could do is let one of the few bright spots on the o-line walk in free agency.

Brandon Marshall said he's not open to taking a pay cut.
It conflicts with comments Marshall made earlier this month. Marshall is due $7.5 million coming off one of his worst seasons. With none of his salary guaranteed, the Jets will either keep Marshall or move on from him. Jan 18 - 7:11 PM

It was a pleasure watching him play in 2015. It was obvious why this guy consistently caught 100 balls a season - but it's time to move on. That money can be better spent and the honeymoon looks to be over. I like the guy so hopefully he ends up on a contender to finish his career, even if its the Pats. :yucky:

With Decker being the veteran leader, I like the young WR group of Quincy Enunwa, Jalin Marshall, Charone Peake and Robbie Anderson. I still think Jalin Marshall looks like a future star even though he had an up and down season - I just see something there.

Jets owner Woody Johnson is expected to be named the United States' new ambassador to the United Kingdom.

Johnson, who struggles to run a football team, is undoubtedly extremely qualified to be an ambassador to one of America's most important allies. The move could be a boon for Jets fans, as Johnson will have less time to meddle with his team. Johnson will presumably have to take off his ever-present Jets ball cap for his ambassador business.

I wish he was forced to sell the team in order to accept the position.

Listen - we've all been unrealistically calling for it for years, Woody sell the team.  He's the true common denominator of all this.  We know he never, ever would sell the team, so this is literally going to be our only chance until he dies.  Whichever other entitled family member of his that takes over for the next 4 years will have the opportunity to prove even a slight bit of competency as an owner/president of football operations/whatever other hat Woody pretends to wear with this team.  In the event that he is in fact successful*, maybe, just maybe there's a chance this is the last we will have seen of Woody as a day to day operator of our Jests.

This is about as glass half full as I can make myself.

The question of the offseason will be who will be the teams starting QB, of course:

Option 1: Free agency or trade

The two biggest names up for availability in the offseason are players who are still under contract, though that could quickly change given the circumstances.

Tony Romo has been phased out of the Dallas offense in favor of Dak Prescott. He accepted the demotion with grace and class, and even though he’s still signed through 2019, the Cowboys could net a pretty penny by offering him up for trade. It’d be tempting for the Jets to make a splashy acquisition for a proven veteran. But should they be willing to pay a steep price for a 36-year-old with chronic back problems?

The other big name is Jay Cutler, who’s fallen out of favor with the Chicago Bears. The team can save $14 million by cutting him, per Over The Cap, but how much does Cutler have left in the tank? He’s even more volatile than Romo, has the same injury problems, and wouldn’t come cheap in free agency. After getting burned so hard by Fitzpatrick, would Jets fans really embrace another veteran retread who would be a short-term Band-Aid at best?

There’s another free-agent option who’s also younger and less proven: Mike Glennon. The 27-year-old showed flashes of decent play with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who have since rendered him expendable by drafting Jameis Winston. He’s surely eager to earn another starting job and could leverage his free agency into a pretty good payday. Maybe the Jets throw their name in the hat for Glennon’s services? It’s not an exciting choice but certainly carries a more stable floor than the other names available.

Of course, free agency or a trade aren’t the only ways for the Jets to find a QB.

Option 2: The draft

Entering Week 15, the Jets hold the sixth overall spot in the 2017 NFL draft. That’s a prime position to land a QB of the future. The problem is that this upcoming QB class is not terribly inspiring.

On Wednesday, the New York Daily News dropped a report that the Jets are “hot” for North Carolina prospect Mitch Trubisky, who would be one of the top QBs in the draft if he declares early. (He’s not expected to make his decision until after the Sun Bowl on Dec. 30.) Trubisky is an interesting prospect, but he has just one year of starting experience.

Other QBs like Deshaun Watson and DeShone Kizer face questions about being ready for the NFL, which should make teams wonder if they’re worth spending a top-10 pick on. The Buffalo Bills provided a study in reaching on QBs when they drafted EJ Manuel No. 16 overall in 2013, a historically weak year for QBs when nobody else went in the first round. Manuel wasn’t a consensus first-round prospect and clearly wasn’t ready for the big expectations. He predictably faceplanted, currently taking a backseat to Tyrod Taylor.

If you want a bigger precedent for teams panicking and taking a QB too early, look no further than 2011. With the Tennessee Titans, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Minnesota Vikings all facing QB crises, they took the plunge on uncertain products almost all in a row. Jake Locker went to Tennessee at No. 8, Blaine Gabbert to Jacksonville at No. 10, and Christian Ponder to Minnesota at No. 12. Five years later, Locker is already out of the league, while Gabbert and Ponder failed with their original teams and are now doomed to career backup status.

Took a week off from this disaster....read some stuff this am and figure continue my therapy by positing....especially after having to endure yet another Pats Super Bowl - puke

OC - no names...no prospects....literally the most important coaching position on the team other than Bowles is a big crater right now....can't imagine they were waiting on someone still playing (like they would leave a great team for the Jets) the longer this goes the more concerned I get

QB - Another huge concern.....Trubisky, Watson and Kizer dont excite me and it is likely they would have to trade up for the best prospect anyway....growing warmer on Glennon as long as its not crazy money. 

OL - Winters deal was a bit of an overpay but had to be done....young, home grown with upside...had to lock him in....I pray that Mangold lowers his cap hit to waaaay lower so he can stay for 1 more yr to mentor this line....LT going to have to come in FA or the draft...either way besides QB its the #2 priority....the line has been ignored for years...needs to be a focus.  

RB - should be fine with Powell/Forte another year - grab a playmaker with upside in the draft.  

WR - Time for Marshall to go...not a good rebuild player and sounds like he wont take a cut....go with Decker and the kids.  Lots of youth and upside here...should be fine 

TE - what a disaster - time to land a competent TE and an OC that can use one...I like Cameron/Gresham if the price is right....I'd even draft one (yet again....) in the 2d or 3rd rd...need to nail down this position.  

DL - I know Sheldon is a problem but I just can't deal him for a 4th which is probably what hes worth...I'd play chicken and keep him for the yr in hope of rehab and dealing him for a more at the deadline or next year....if he simply walks they would likely get a 3rd rder so why deal him for a 4th besides chemistry issues and thats on the HC.  Rest of the DL is fine just hope Mo rebounds.

LB - underwhelmed with Lee....he was supposed to be quick enough to cover the guys burning them week after week but he was so undersized he got beat...he should be a decent starter but my expectations are lowered....time for Harris to go...they will need to draft/sign some talent - I like Nick Perry from GB - he finally had some sacks this yr so it will inflate his price but he's young with upside so should be a target  

CB - disaster - need to grab a FA and draft someone high - Revis needs to go.  

S - Whispers on Pryor being traded - if its a 3rd or better I'd do it...another awful pick as he cant cover and doesnt make any big plays.  will need a good cover safety as well

ST - Time for Folk to go....very good kicker but whats the point of paying $2M to a kicker on a rebuilding team.  

breaking it down is more depressing than I thought - no OC....with big needs at QB, LT, LB, CB and S....thats almost an entire team!   They MUST take the youth road and not cater to PSL fever by competitive rebuild. Perhaps Woody going to London will help....who knows...but I have to watch the Pats in another Super Bowl which just sucks!  

OC - no names...no prospects....literally the most important coaching position on the team other than Bowles is a big crater right now....can't imagine they were waiting on someone still playing (like they would leave a great team for the Jets) the longer this goes the more concerned I get
The Bronco's RB coach turned them down. Think about that for a minute.

breaking it down is more depressing than I thought - no OC....with big needs at QB, LT, LB, CB and S....thats almost an entire team!   They MUST take the youth road and not cater to PSL fever by competitive rebuild. Perhaps Woody going to London will help....who knows...but I have to watch the Pats in another Super Bowl which just sucks!  
Something similar started the 90's Yankee Dynasty. The only real difference is that Baseball people ran the team. Here...it looks like Woody's brother is taking over the reins. Hopefully he stays outta the fn way.

Not that it matters. As long as Brady and Belichek are together there's no dethroning those guys. it's unbelievable how consistent they are.

And it coulda been us...that makes it so much worse.

ESPN's Rich Cimini reports the Jets are interested in former Texans OC George Godsey for their vacant offensive coordinator position.

Cimini reports an interview could happen as soon as Tuesday at the Senior Bowl. The Texans offense struggled with Godsey running the show in 2016, and he had his play-calling duties stripped at one point in the season. He did good work with a slew of replacement-level quarterbacks in 2015, however, and cannot really be blamed for the disaster which is Brock Osweiler. Considering the lack of interest in the job around the league, this would not be a bad hire for the Jets. Cimini reports they are also interested in Saints WRs coach John Morton.

It's hard to get excited over any candidate to be honest, since very likely it's a one season era once Bowles gets fired, but at least this guys has shown he can move the ball with mediocre QBs.

Jets hired Saints WRs coach John Morton as offensive coordinator.

No relation to ex-NFL receiver Johnnie Morton, John did have a cup of coffee as an NFL wideout in the early- and mid-1990s, but he rose to coaching significance under Jim Harbaugh at the University of San Diego in 2005, then spent nearly a decade with the Raiders. Morton spent the last two seasons overseeing Brandin Cooks and Willie Snead's development and Michael Thomas' record-setting rookie campaign. As Jets head coach Todd Bowles is a defensive mind, Morton should have near-full control over Gang Green's offense. In order for Morton to succeed, GM Mike Maccagnan will need to find him a competent quarterback.

Our newest OC. No need to really get to know him all that well since he'll likely only be here for one season.

Anyone not see this coming?

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Jets are a "possibility" to acquire Jay Cutler.

The Jets hired Jeremy Bates as their new QBs coach on Wednesday. He and Cutler have a long history together, and by most accounts, the two really like working with each other. Bates was Cutler's QBs coach in Denver early in his career when he went to the Pro Bowl, and then Bates was brought over to Chicago in 2012 to work with Cutler again. On top of Bates, the Jets also currently employ former Bears teammates Matt Forte and Brandon Marshall. It could be a match. The Bears are fully expected to release Cutler over the next month.

Oh those J-E-T-S.  This is part of the reason why NE always wins the division and often has home field throughout the playoffs.  

On the other hand, bump Brandon Marshall.  Talk about locking in on one guy.  Cutler loves Marshall.  

Oh those J-E-T-S.  This is part of the reason why NE always wins the division and often has home field throughout the playoffs.  

On the other hand, bump Brandon Marshall.  Talk about locking in on one guy.  Cutler loves Marshall.  
There's 4 reasons the Pats win the division every year:

1. They are really ####### good;

2. The Jets have been mostly dysfunctional;

3. The Bills have been mostly dysfunctional;

4. The Phins have been mostly dysfunctional;

The first one is about right, but the other 3 are spot on.  Coaching carousels, new QBs coming and going.  Hard to get traction in the NFL when there's dysfunction!  

I think a lot of good head coachs are ducking belichick by avoiding the afc east. Adam gase is probably the only hot coaching candidate to take a job in belichicks division since billy arrived. 

Riversco said:
Maybe the jets notice the broncos beat the patriots a lot so they are trying to capture that magic in .... some way.  
Sure, tebow cutler and marshall have been huge there. 

I really don't understand why there would be any kind of market for Cutler at the Jets or anywhere else for that matter.

At this point, Cutler is a known "bad chemistry" guy and he's been pretty bad on the field lately as well. Why wouldn't a QB needy team just target Jimmy G, Glennon, Tyrod or Romo? Who on earth would want Cutler over any of those guys? 

To me Cutler is about as appealing as Kaepernick right now and I don't see teams rushing to sign Kaepernick. I just don't get this idea that Cutler will be handed a starter job somewhere when there aren't that many openings to begin with (even before taking the draft into account).

I really don't understand why there would be any kind of market for Cutler at the Jets or anywhere else for that matter.

At this point, Cutler is a known "bad chemistry" guy and he's been pretty bad on the field lately as well. Why wouldn't a QB needy team just target Jimmy G, Glennon, Tyrod or Romo? Who on earth would want Cutler over any of those guys? 

To me Cutler is about as appealing as Kaepernick right now and I don't see teams rushing to sign Kaepernick. I just don't get this idea that Cutler will be handed a starter job somewhere when there aren't that many openings to begin with (even before taking the draft into account).
I wouldn't think Cutler or Romo a good fit in a rebuild situation.  I like Tyrod and Glennon, which lets you land a potential stud at #6.  The other option is Trubiskey with that pick IF he is available.

The first one is about right, but the other 3 are spot on.  Coaching carousels, new QBs coming and going.  Hard to get traction in the NFL when there's dysfunction!  
Let's not forgot - teams 2-4 have an uncanny ability of regurgitating each other's garbage into the others' mouths.  Rex.  Tannenbaum.  Sparano.  I'm sure Tyrod is next.  I would think I'm missing a couple of others.  All of these guys were so successful in their other AFC East destinations, why WOULDN'T they get a second crack in the same damn division?  The Pats have to just be sitting there, laughing there asses off, polishing yet another Super Bowl ring as they Sharpie themselves in for yet another home playoff game year after year after year after year...

Let's not forgot - teams 2-4 have an uncanny ability of regurgitating each other's garbage into the others' mouths.  Rex.  Tannenbaum.  Sparano.  I'm sure Tyrod is next.  I would think I'm missing a couple of others.  All of these guys were so successful in their other AFC East destinations, why WOULDN'T they get a second crack in the same damn division?  The Pats have to just be sitting there, laughing there asses off, polishing yet another Super Bowl ring as they Sharpie themselves in for yet another home playoff game year after year after year after year...
These teams must think "he did so well against us, he must do great with us! " while missing the point that the guy did so well against you because your team sucks. 

The best qb in the AFC east Brady has had to deal with in the last 12 years is probably Tyrod Taylor, and he's probably gone. Maybe a beat up old favre. Pennington? I mean, do we really put Fitzpatrick in this conversation?  Tannehill is behind schedule because he opted to not have surgery and it's not working. Jets have petty and hack. Brady at 45 will still be better than whatever these guys bring in the next 2 years, why not keep playing?

I think Glennon is the pick here.  We need help in so many spots (OL, TE, LB, CB).  If Revis moves to Safety, we should be fine there along with DL (though we could use a Tackle) and the OL could use an entire overhaul, along with LB help.  Reality is, we just have too many holes to spend another pick in this draft on a QB.  Fournette would be a huge grab, and as much as I would love hi, he is the wrong pick.  We just don't have the line to support him, and when we finally get it, he will likely be 3 years in.  I literally do not want to see us use a pick on WR, as we have a ton of depth.  Not sure how the value stacks up, but I think they need to go CB/OL with the first three picks.

In regards to Glennon, many people do not realize this, but Russell Wislon was pushed out of NC State because Glennon was waiting in the wings.  While he did not make anyone forget about Wison, he did not flop either.  He makes good decisions, is tall and isn't a head case (basically, the anti-Cutler).  The Jets played decent ball when Pennington was taking care of the ball, and after Sanchez, Fit and Geno, I think we need to return to that kind of QB play.

Should be a big few weeks for the Jets...rumblings that Clady and maybe Mangold will be cut. I think they should toss every player older than 30 and use the $ to get younger and faster.

I'd like to see them land Fournette with the #6.....the draft is deep in DBs they can grab one later.  It's time to get an explosive playmaker that gives DCs fits and helps out the new QB by taking some heat of off him....it's an offensive league and it's time for the Jets to put together a big time offense.  They spent 6 #1 picks on the defense and it still was awful...time to swing the other way and build the O....

NJ Advance Media's Darryl Slater believes there is a "75 percent" chance the Jets release Darrelle Revis.

Slater allows for the possibility Revis "takes a pay cut and moves to free safety or No. 2 corner," but ESPN's Rich Cimini has reported it would take a significant pay cut for Revis to remain with the team. The Jets would save $9.3 million against the cap by releasing Revis, and that number could grow based on offset language in his contract.

NJ Advance Media's Darryl Slater believes there is an "80 percent" chance the Jets release FS Marcus Gilchrist (knee).

Gilchrist has been relatively effective since signing a four-year deal prior to the 2015 season, but he suffered a ruptured patellar tendon in early December. He is likely headed for the PUP list at the very least to begin training camp and possibly the season. The Jets can save $4.625 million against the cap by releasing him.

NJ Advance Media's Darryl Slater believes there is a "60 percent" chance the Jets release Brandon Marshall.

Marshall is owed $7.5 million in the final year of his deal, all of which the Jets can save against the cap by releasing him. New York will certainly attempt to trade Marshall before cutting him, but either way it will be something of a surprise if the veteran remains on the roster. If the Jets really want to blow it up, they can save $5.75 million against the cap by releasing Eric Decker.
NJ Advance Media's Darryl Slater believes there is a "60 percent" chance the Jets part ways with C Nick Mangold.

Mangold is owed $9.075 million in salary and bonuses, all of which can be saved against the cap if the Jets decide to move on. The 33-year-old's play has fallen off in the last couple seasons, and he was limited to eight games by an ankle injury in 2016. With Mangold entering the final year of his deal, perhaps the two sides can agree to an extension which lowers his pay this year in exchange for some long-term security, but it is more likely Mangold is cut.

For sentimental reasons I'd like for them to keep Mangold around, but these would all be 100% the right move. This team needs to blow it up, create cap space and start building through the draft.

I think Glennon is the pick here.  We need help in so many spots (OL, TE, LB, CB).  If Revis moves to Safety, we should be fine there along with DL (though we could use a Tackle) and the OL could use an entire overhaul, along with LB help.  Reality is, we just have too many holes to spend another pick in this draft on a QB.  Fournette would be a huge grab, and as much as I would love hi, he is the wrong pick.  We just don't have the line to support him, and when we finally get it, he will likely be 3 years in.  I literally do not want to see us use a pick on WR, as we have a ton of depth.  Not sure how the value stacks up, but I think they need to go CB/OL with the first three picks.

In regards to Glennon, many people do not realize this, but Russell Wislon was pushed out of NC State because Glennon was waiting in the wings.  While he did not make anyone forget about Wison, he did not flop either.  He makes good decisions, is tall and isn't a head case (basically, the anti-Cutler).  The Jets played decent ball when Pennington was taking care of the ball, and after Sanchez, Fit and Geno, I think we need to return to that kind of QB play.
I wouldn't be terribly upset if they signed Glennon, but with the reports saying he could see $16-17MM a year offers, I'd rather them not take the risk. He looked decent as a rookie but not anything special. Frankly I'd rather let Petty and Hack (and maybe a lower level free agent) battle it out all season and address the position in next year's draft if they fail (and let's face it, they likely will). They should be drafting in the top 5 again next season once again and it's supposedly a much better QB class.

I wouldn't be terribly upset if they signed Glennon, but with the reports saying he could see $16-17MM a year offers, I'd rather them not take the risk. He looked decent as a rookie but not anything special. Frankly I'd rather let Petty and Hack (and maybe a lower level free agent) battle it out all season and address the position in next year's draft if they fail (and let's face it, they likely will). They should be drafting in the top 5 again next season once again and it's supposedly a much better QB class.
agreed - I have a bad feeling Glennon is going to get a way over market deal....I don't think I'd go higher than $10M yr.  If it goes that high grab a stop gap like McNown and just let the kids duke it out....gives them a yr to develop and likely lands them another top 10 pick to go after a franchise QB nxt yr if they dont pan out.  

Agree with all the cuts posted earlier (though not sure how a reporter can use 60%, 80% etc) - only one that would hurt is Mangold - I'd like to see him take a big pay cut but stick around 1 more yr to mentor the OL.  Rest can go....

agreed - I have a bad feeling Glennon is going to get a way over market deal....I don't think I'd go higher than $10M yr.  If it goes that high grab a stop gap like McNown and just let the kids duke it out....gives them a yr to develop and likely lands them another top 10 pick to go after a franchise QB nxt yr if they dont pan out.  

Agree with all the cuts posted earlier (though not sure how a reporter can use 60%, 80% etc) - only one that would hurt is Mangold - I'd like to see him take a big pay cut but stick around 1 more yr to mentor the OL.  Rest can go....
Yeah Glennon isn't likely a franchise QB either so I think it would just set the team back further if they pay him like one. It just isn't worth the risk. I like the idea of McCown as he'd be like another coach out there and would be competent if Petty and Hack are just embarrassingly over-matched to the point where they need to be taken out of a game.

I'd like for Mangold to stay selfishly, but honestly he should likely move on somewhere where he can win some games. Wesly Johnson was decent in his place last year at least so they can use him unless a better option emerges. 

Glennon is tall...tall like Dork Asswelder. Does he have a brutally slow release too? I cant say I've actually ever watched him play.

Darrelle Revis has been charged with four felonies for his role in a weekend fight in Pittsburgh.

That includes two counts of aggravated assault. Revis is accused of knocking two men unconscious. It's a serious matter, likely not the kind that will disappear. It's also an ill-timed off-field issue for a 31-year-old corner coming off a lousy year. Revis is guaranteed $6 million for 2017, but this greatly increases the chances he gets cut loose, which would create $9.3 million in cap space for the Jets.

Should make the decision to release him a little easier.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora continues to report the Jets have "some interest" in Jay Cutler if/when he's released by the Bears.

"They believe he can play in the elements that are a reality in the AFC East, and they like his moxie and arm talent," writes La Canfora. "And that was well before the Jets hired Jeremy Bates as their quarterback coach." Bates and Cutler have mutual affinity after working together in Denver and Chicago. The current Jets regime needs to find a way to put wins on the board to save their jobs. No quarterback currently on the roster or in the draft will be able to do that, so Cutler makes some sense as a veteran bridge. La Canfora also mentions the Bills, 49ers, Dolphins, Texans, Jaguars, and Browns as potential landing spots for Cutler.

Fire them all now, if that's the way they are going to approach things. This is when you need a team president/owner to step in and let the GM know it's ok to rebuild.

I will write a nasty letter to the Jets when I have some free time later this month. If they read it, then Cutler will not be acquired. 

If they acquire Cutler, then I will become a fan of some other team.

Jets release Nick Folk and Breno Giacomini which clears $7.5MM in cap space.

Folk was pretty solid but if they go into full rebuild mode, then who cares? Breno was mostly a bust anyway. Hopefully the purge continues.

Users who are viewing this thread