Dr. Octopus

2017 New York Jets: Revis has been charged with four felonies none of which involve stealing $39MM from the Jets

53 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Sweet Love said:

I think Glennon is the pick here.  We need help in so many spots (OL, TE, LB, CB).  If Revis moves to Safety, we should be fine there along with DL (though we could use a Tackle) and the OL could use an entire overhaul, along with LB help.  Reality is, we just have too many holes to spend another pick in this draft on a QB.  Fournette would be a huge grab, and as much as I would love hi, he is the wrong pick.  We just don't have the line to support him, and when we finally get it, he will likely be 3 years in.  I literally do not want to see us use a pick on WR, as we have a ton of depth.  Not sure how the value stacks up, but I think they need to go CB/OL with the first three picks.

In regards to Glennon, many people do not realize this, but Russell Wislon was pushed out of NC State because Glennon was waiting in the wings.  While he did not make anyone forget about Wison, he did not flop either.  He makes good decisions, is tall and isn't a head case (basically, the anti-Cutler).  The Jets played decent ball when Pennington was taking care of the ball, and after Sanchez, Fit and Geno, I think we need to return to that kind of QB play.

I wouldn't be terribly upset if they signed Glennon, but with the reports saying he could see $16-17MM a year offers, I'd rather them not take the risk. He looked decent as a rookie but not anything special. Frankly I'd rather let Petty and Hack (and maybe a lower level free agent) battle it out all season and address the position in next year's draft if they fail (and let's face it, they likely will). They should be drafting in the top 5 again next season once again and it's supposedly a much better QB class.

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I wouldn't be terribly upset if they signed Glennon, but with the reports saying he could see $16-17MM a year offers, I'd rather them not take the risk. He looked decent as a rookie but not anything special. Frankly I'd rather let Petty and Hack (and maybe a lower level free agent) battle it out all season and address the position in next year's draft if they fail (and let's face it, they likely will). They should be drafting in the top 5 again next season once again and it's supposedly a much better QB class.

agreed - I have a bad feeling Glennon is going to get a way over market deal....I don't think I'd go higher than $10M yr.  If it goes that high grab a stop gap like McNown and just let the kids duke it out....gives them a yr to develop and likely lands them another top 10 pick to go after a franchise QB nxt yr if they dont pan out.  

Agree with all the cuts posted earlier (though not sure how a reporter can use 60%, 80% etc) - only one that would hurt is Mangold - I'd like to see him take a big pay cut but stick around 1 more yr to mentor the OL.  Rest can go....

Just now, Kiddnets said:

agreed - I have a bad feeling Glennon is going to get a way over market deal....I don't think I'd go higher than $10M yr.  If it goes that high grab a stop gap like McNown and just let the kids duke it out....gives them a yr to develop and likely lands them another top 10 pick to go after a franchise QB nxt yr if they dont pan out.  

Agree with all the cuts posted earlier (though not sure how a reporter can use 60%, 80% etc) - only one that would hurt is Mangold - I'd like to see him take a big pay cut but stick around 1 more yr to mentor the OL.  Rest can go....

Yeah Glennon isn't likely a franchise QB either so I think it would just set the team back further if they pay him like one. It just isn't worth the risk. I like the idea of McCown as he'd be like another coach out there and would be competent if Petty and Hack are just embarrassingly over-matched to the point where they need to be taken out of a game.

I'd like for Mangold to stay selfishly, but honestly he should likely move on somewhere where he can win some games. Wesly Johnson was decent in his place last year at least so they can use him unless a better option emerges. 

2 people like this

Glennon is tall...tall like Dork Asswelder. Does he have a brutally slow release too? I cant say I've actually ever watched him play.

Darrelle Revis has been charged with four felonies for his role in a weekend fight in Pittsburgh.

That includes two counts of aggravated assault. Revis is accused of knocking two men unconscious. It's a serious matter, likely not the kind that will disappear. It's also an ill-timed off-field issue for a 31-year-old corner coming off a lousy year. Revis is guaranteed $6 million for 2017, but this greatly increases the chances he gets cut loose, which would create $9.3 million in cap space for the Jets.

Should make the decision to release him a little easier.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora continues to report the Jets have "some interest" in Jay Cutler if/when he's released by the Bears.

"They believe he can play in the elements that are a reality in the AFC East, and they like his moxie and arm talent," writes La Canfora. "And that was well before the Jets hired Jeremy Bates as their quarterback coach." Bates and Cutler have mutual affinity after working together in Denver and Chicago. The current Jets regime needs to find a way to put wins on the board to save their jobs. No quarterback currently on the roster or in the draft will be able to do that, so Cutler makes some sense as a veteran bridge. La Canfora also mentions the Bills, 49ers, Dolphins, Texans, Jaguars, and Browns as potential landing spots for Cutler.

Fire them all now, if that's the way they are going to approach things. This is when you need a team president/owner to step in and let the GM know it's ok to rebuild.
1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Fire them all now, if that's the way they are going to approach things. This is when you need a team president/owner to step in and let the GM know it's ok to rebuild.

If Cutler goes to the Jets lock them up for 7-9 and a signature home win versus Pats. 

1 person likes this

I will write a nasty letter to the Jets when I have some free time later this month. If they read it, then Cutler will not be acquired. 

If they acquire Cutler, then I will become a fan of some other team.

Jets release Nick Folk and Breno Giacomini which clears $7.5MM in cap space.

Folk was pretty solid but if they go into full rebuild mode, then who cares? Breno was mostly a bust anyway. Hopefully the purge continues.

1 person likes this

This is totally fantasy football, but I would love to see them continue to purge and clear enough room to go for Cousins.  Trade the first pick (I am not too hot any of these guys at the top) to Washington and let Washington parlay that pick to NE for Garrapolo.  They get a QB at a cheaper price, and we get someone who should be good for a while.  Another option would be to move Richardson and a lower pick, but I am not sure they would want to deal with him (and what could be a contentious contract negotiation).

Mangold cut - end of an era......dude was the best center in the league for a long time....plus a great teammate/locker room guy.....it was the right move under the circumstances but still hurts....one of my favorite all time Jets...everything Revis is not.  I wish him well and hope he plays for a contender if he comes back - outside the AFC East of course! 

$18M under the cap with Revis, Harris, Marshall and lots of other possible cuts...probably will end up around $40M under - good base to rebuild with youth