What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Civil War - GnR (1 Viewer)

IC FBGCav

Footballguy
From GnR, heard it for the first time today in a long time.  Does it hold up?

Last edited by a moderator:
WE PRACTICE SELECTIVE ANNIHILATION OF MAYORS AND GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS, FOR EXAMPLE, TO CREATE A VACUUM.

THEN WE FILL THAT VACUUM.

AS POPULAR WAR ADVANCES, PEACE IS CLOSER.

I think the Use Your Illusion albums will always suffer from self-important bloat, but yeah, it's still a good song. They're a great band, and always worthy of a listen. 

Does it hold up topically, lyrically? Probably another question. It's not bad, as far as rock star politics go, but it's probably because Duff was in the band.

speaking of 'Use Your Illusion',  i think Team Trump missed bigly by not incorporating  "Get In The Ring" anywhere during the past two years 

:boxing:

There's a great single album in Use Your Illusion if you cut out the filler.
Yeah. This could be a good exercise. What comes in under 74 minutes, assuming CD is the format. I think 74 min. is runtime, or am I dreaming?

There's a great single album in Use Your Illusion if you cut out the filler.
So true.  16 year old me couldn't spend the money fast enough on a second album, and I'm glad they did it.  But if you wanted to put out one great album, it's in there.  Estranged, Coma, You Could be Mine, some of the other radio hits like November Rain.  Would make a killer single album.  I'm pretty sure I read in the Slash autobiog, or somewhere, that the band felt that way too.

Eighteen year-old me thought Coma was a pretty fantastic metal/prog track.

This would be a great album, a little longer than standard, but great:

• Don't Cry 4:45 (Original version -- we don't need both)
  • Back off ##### 5:03
  • November Rain 8:57
  • The Garden 5:22
  • Civil War 7:42
  • Get in the Ring 5:42
  • Locomotive 8:42
  • Estranged 9:23
  • You Could Be Mine 5:43
  • Coma 10:13

Eighteen year-old me thought Coma was a pretty fantastic metal/prog track.
As a budding rock guitar player, Slash was my ultimate hero, and this was supposedly "his song" on the new albums.  Loved it.  Saw them live on this last tour and it completely rocked face.  So great.

Still good. In fact I like listening to it more than songs off their "breakout" album like Welcome to the Jungle. Estranged and Coma are on another level though.

This would be a great album, a little longer than standard, but great:

• Don't Cry 4:45 (Original version -- we don't need both)
  • Back off ##### 5:03
  • November Rain 8:57
  • The Garden 5:22
  • Civil War 7:42
  • Get in the Ring 5:42
  • Locomotive 8:42
  • Estranged 9:23
  • You Could Be Mine 5:43
  • Coma 10:13
Bad Obsession, 14 Years, and Yesterdays need to be on there. Ditch Get In The Ring and You Could Be Mine. 

I think I blasted Locomotive in my car every day for a solid year. Probably got more hearing damage from that one song than every concert I've ever attended.

YCBM leads off my comp. track, followed by Civil War, Coma, and Nov. Rain.

I had a 12 song mix on one of my old MP3 players.  It was still too long because some of the songs could have used some editing.

From the band's perspective though, they had an audience that would buy anything the band released and were in the brief window where CDs allowed more music to be stored on media and file sharing wasn't a significant issue.  Releasing 30 songs instead of 12 was a financial windfall.

I had a 12 song mix on one of my old MP3 players.  It was still too long because some of the songs could have used some editing.

From the band's perspective though, they had an audience that would buy anything the band released and were in the brief window where CDs allowed more music to be stored on media and file sharing wasn't a significant issue.  Releasing 30 songs instead of 12 was a financial windfall.
Absolutely. It suffered from every form of bloat.

3C's said:
Still good. In fact I like listening to it more than songs off their "breakout" album like Welcome to the Jungle. Estranged and Coma are on another level though.
Still love Mr Brownstone.  

Still love Mr Brownstone.  
Jungle is one of the greatest albums ever released. You can take any combo of songs you want from the illusion albums to make one album and it would never, ever come close to Jungle.  I like some songs off of the Illusion albums but overall they were a disappointment. There is a lack of fire or spark or something. 

Jungle is one of the greatest albums ever released. You can take any combo of songs you want from the illusion albums to make one album and it would never, ever come close to Jungle.  I like some songs off of the Illusion albums but overall they were a disappointment. There is a lack of fire or spark or something. 
Wtf album is "jungle"?

Evilgrin 72 said:
Bad Obsession, 14 Years, and Yesterdays need to be on there. Ditch Get In The Ring and You Could Be Mine. 
You Could be Mine isn't one of the worst GNR songs of all time.  No need for Get in the Ring, that could have been a b-side 

My dad got this double CD when I was 10. I listened to it front to back for like a year straight. I remember putting down in 6th grade (Catholic school) my favorite song was Shotgun Blues, lol.

So the nostalgia factor will always outweigh the quality of the album. To me it's one of the greatest of all time.  

And as it stands now, the Garden is my favorite song off of both discs.

All of the dead rock stars that have unreleased songs post-mortem, I'd rather spend the extra $10 to get the mediocre tracks in our lifetime.  BTW, I think one of my room mates absconded with one of the Illusions CDs, Scott... I'm looking in your direction, I'm kinda pissed.

1) You Could Be Mine - 5:43

2) Civil War - 7:42

3) Coma - 10:13

4) November Rain - 8:57

5) Live And Let Die - 3:04

6) Pretty Tied Up - 4:48

7) Locomotive (Complicity) - 8:42

8) Double Talkin' Jive - 3:23

9) Don't Cry (Orig.) - 4:44

10) 14 Years - 4:21

11) Dead Horse - 4:26

12) Knockin' On Heaven's Door - 5:36

Runtime around 71-73 mins. 

eta* I might switch 12 and 7, but I wanted to space the covers.  

so weird...just watched some GnR on YouTube with a co-worker yesterday.  First video was Civil War...got on the subject because he didn't know where the 'what we have here is failure to communicate' part came from.  Then started reminiscing and watching all the vids.  Good music.

If I were to do this then 14 Years, The Garden and Breakdown would all be "musts."   Pretty Tied Up and Civil War would be close to those.  If I included Don't Cry, I always much preferred the alternate lyrics.

Apparently I'm the only person, but I've always thought Coma sucked.

So is Rocket Queen, one of the best sex metal glam trash songs ever recorded, with ano earnest ballad for a minute at the end
Yes.  Of the tracks off Destruction, RQ is a close second in the pecking order for me.  Just all kinds of things going "right" for both of them.  Night Train probably rounds the top #3.

Civil war still holds up imo.

Any compilation of the 2 UYI albums must include Estranged. The live version is even better.

Yes.  Of the tracks off Destruction, RQ is a close second in the pecking order for me.  Just all kinds of things going "right" for both of them.  Night Train probably rounds the top #3.
I also love My Michelle. To rate the top six (half of the tracks) from the Appetite For Destruction album, including and excluding songs that got played out for me (so that influences it...a great album has tracks that get played out) would go...

1) Rocket Queen 

2) My Michelle

3) Sweet Child O' Mine

4) Welcome To The Jungle 

5) It's So Easy

6) Mr. Brownstone 

Civil War was never a favorite of mine. Always liked it. Just another one I liked from them. Then I saw them on this last tour and that song blew me away. They ####### killed it for me on that one. 

Users who are viewing this thread