What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mr. John or Mr. Smith? (1 Viewer)

lakerstan

Footballguy
If I wanted to greet someone formally, I was always taught to call them Mr. or Mrs. (Last Name).

But I seem to be running into more people recently that use Mr. or Mrs. (First Name)

Is this a regional thing, or am I just old?  Is there a rule to this?

Definitely regional.

I grew up in SoCal, always called my friends' parents "Mr. or Mrs. [Last Name]".

Wife grew up in Louisiana and it was "Mr. or MISS (didn't matter if they married or not) [First Name]".

We are instructing our kids to use the latter, and my wife gets mad when some kid just calls her by her first name :lol:

Seems to be a rural south thing.  All my growing up years, grownups were Mr. X or Mrs. X (or sir or ma'am should their names be unknown).  Now as an adult in central VA, I run into a lot of people calling me Mr. (first name) respectfully, and it seems odd.

Also common in these parts is to refer to a family as "the Johns" or "the Jimmys" where the name is the father's first name rather than their family name.  Maybe places where lots of families share a last name makes this more needed?

Using the first name seems to be more prevalent in some Latino cultures from what I've seen. Not sure if it's a respect thing but to me it seems a bit subservient. I would rather they use my last name if they are saying "Mr."

Maybe I'm just old too.

If I wanted to greet someone formally, I was always taught to call them Mr. or Mrs. (Last Name).

But I seem to be running into more people recently that use Mr. or Mrs. (First Name)

Is this a regional thing, or am I just old?  Is there a rule to this?
You or your kids?

If its you, and it is really formal, then Mr. or Ms. Last Name - but I can't imagine more than 1% of your adult interactions would be formal enough that you refer to someone by their last name. :shrug:

If its your kids - either way

Seems to be a rural south thing.  All my growing up years, grownups were Mr. X or Mrs. X (or sir or ma'am should their names be unknown).  Now as an adult in central VA, I run into a lot of people calling me Mr. (first name) respectfully, and it seems odd.

Also common in these parts is to refer to a family as "the Johns" or "the Jimmys" where the name is the father's first name rather than their family name.  Maybe places where lots of families share a last name makes this more needed?

I don't get that it's rural south - it's just Old South.  

I grew up in Ohio and never once heard anyone say Mr/Miss "First Name here."  This is all I heard once we moved to Little Rock, Arkansas.  I have also heard it almost exclusively with families I have been around in Louisiana and even Austin/Houston/Dallas.  

This was discussed in another thread, but gender pronouns are being phased out in certain establishments.  My ex works at a hospital and they just had training where they have to address everyone by their first name as you don't necessarily know what sex they identify as.

I guess Huntsville isn't rural but I've only seen this with young teachers who are trying to not get old.  

Walking Boot said:
I'm "Mr. Boot", only my maid refers to me to others as "Mr. Walking".

Mr. Walking no home. Mr. Walking no pay me last month. etc, etc, etc.
Seriously?

Don't care. I'm leaving mine.

Is it maybe a respect thing too?  Like I couldn't go up to Paul McCartney and call him Mr. Paul.  It would have to be Mr. McCartney.

Ringo, on the other hand....

I never encountered this, until I moved to the Deep South. It's an informal address meant to show a "respect your elders" upbringing. 

I teach my kids to call people mr/mrs last name. But that person can tell my kids to call them mr first name, leave it at mr last name or first name. I personally cannot stand it when a kid calls me by my first name. Mrs clown is fine. But clown is not. If a kid calls me clown I require them to call me mrs car. As my older kids friends have grown up and are adults now, married and some with their own kids, they still call me mrs clown but I tell them they can just call me clown now. But not a six year old. 

Users who are viewing this thread