Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
gussy

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last!

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

The only thing scary is your constant name-calling, fear-mongering, race-baiting, one-sided spinmeistering.  I know what a buffoon Trump is, but you need to dial it back.  You come across as a loon.  

:lmao:

Everything's cool people. Nothing to be concerned with.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Bender said:

Having the President and his staff actually just lie about the inauguration is more than just bizarre or par for the course for this new administration. It's actually a little alarming for other reasons: I studied Russia and Russian history in college, I've been to Russia a few times (LOOK AT ME) as an adult, and this type of stuff that Spicer/Trump are doing is exactly the Russian method of propaganda spreading. This is a constant attempt to erode all trust in our media while distracting everyone from actual important issues so we're going to get a barrage of this bull#### and it's not going to stop. And the media is not doing enough to defend itself. This is the worst lie ever because there is actual photographic evidence that the administration is full of ####. If we are going to survive his Presidency, the media needs to fight back harder than they are. Trump has lied almost every time he's given a speech or press conference over the past year (I'm sure I'm exaggerating a bit here but it feels like it. source:https://www.thestar.com/news/world/uselection/2016/11/04/donald-trump-the-unauthorized-database-of-false-things.html#analysis ) and the media needs to flat out call him a liar - period. The problem, even there, is that anyone calling him out from the media is "FAKE NEWS" so no one can ever dispute anything he says or the POTUS himself is calling their entire organization "Fake News". This is scary #### folks.  What happens when he loses the next election in a landslide and goes on television to tell us all the results are "fake" and "lies" - he is liable to become a threat to Democracy altogether from where I stand and what I've seen so far. This feels like an effort to de-legitimize the media altogether - that's Russia - not America - that's exactly what we fight against and cannot have. That's not coming from a "republican in congress" or a right-wing talk show host. It's coming from the President of the United States himself - that's VERY bad.

I'm no conspiracy theorist, tinfoil-hat wearer, I personally find many of the "protesters" to be ridiculous people, I won't call a fellow FBG a "Trumpkin" or an idiot for supporting him, but even Republicans and Trump voters should begin to notice how scary this is becoming.  This actual event happening post-inauguration should be more alarming than p####-grabbing, tweeting about taco bowls, etc etc combined and I have a really odd feeling that it continues and there is something more sinister going on here. Sinister as in the scale of anywhere from Trump basically being an agent for Russia himself, or just being so unstable and sociopathic that he gets us all ####### killed. At the very least he is so narcissistic that he is clearly going to be putting himself ahead of the feelings of the American people for the next 4 years - he got away with being a narcissistic liar during the campaign - now he's actually the most powerful man in the world folks. I am convinced his personal pride is the most important thing to him - far more important than the billions of people in the world who depend on him to be an altruistic leader.

On top of this, if we keep hearing about the fake news and reports come out, from the top, that the fake news is saying this, that, and the other, pretty soon the actual fake news will begin to propagate into the "real" news from top. We all know, or should know, that Briefbart.com, Drudge Report, and Buzzfeed, are either not news, fake news, or conspiracy theorist stuff to begin with. If those are lumped in with ABC, NBC, CNN, FOX, CBS, BBC, PBS, and other, what the fringe right calls "mainstream media"... holy crap are we in for a world of hurt. And, if the media chooses to continue to suck on the tops genitals instead of doing their job and fighting back for us... holy crap. And, if the Republicans AND Democrats continue to do the same... holy crap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Apple Jack said:

:lmao:

Everything's cool people. Nothing to be concerned with.

When the left starts to come out with rationale sounding criticism instead of all the Nazi/Russian/Racists/Fascist rhetoric, they will be more effective.  It was a key factor in losing the last election.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is amazing to me how many times Trump can do something totally stupid and it always comes back to Hillary. I am sure it goes both ways, this just is the most recent example. Like it makes it okay for Trump to attack the media, because Hillary did it too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, msudaisy26 said:

It is amazing to me how many times Trump can do something totally stupid and it always comes back to Hillary. I am sure it goes both ways, this just is the most recent example. Like it makes it okay for Trump to attack the media, because Hillary did it too.

No one said it was OK.  But let's not pretend this is something new for politicians and start comparing it to the Soviet Union. That is what is amazing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jon_mx said:

No one said it was OK.  But let's not pretend this is something new for politicians and start comparing it to the Soviet Union. That is what is amazing.  

The degree to which it is being done is new.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

No one said it was OK.  But let's not pretend this is something new for politicians and start comparing it to the Soviet Union. That is what is amazing.  

It isn't new, but I can't remember a time when 2 POTUS candidates were linked together at everything. I wonder if it will stay this way. They may end up like the Brady vs Manning debates, but without the greatness.

Edited by msudaisy26

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bagger said:

The degree to which it is being done is new.

That is a fair statement.  But we are not even remotely close to being North Korea or the Soviet Union.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything and i mean everything that the media reports that appears to criticize trump is attacked as false news.  This is absolutely unprecedented at least in my 39 years on this planet.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bagger said:

The degree to which it is being done is new.

Exactly...

I just can't understand the supporters of Trump.  I have a very good feeling if he went on tv and said kill the person standing next to you a lot of people would be murdered.  Some of his supporters appear to have lost their mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, msudaisy26 said:

It isn't new, but I can't remember a time when 2 POTUS candidates were linked together at everything. I wonder if it will stay this way. It will end up like the Brady vs Manning debates, but without the greatness.

Each side needs to own their hypocrisy.  The truth is not important to either side, it is all about agenda.  The real difference with Trump is he may actually believe his lies.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, killface said:

Exactly...

I just can't understand the supporters of Trump.  I have a very good feeling if he went on tv and said kill the person standing next to you a lot of people would be murdered.  Some of his supporters appear to have lost their mind.

Sorry, but to dehumanize Trump supporters is out of line.  You may disagree with them, but they have their reasons they think that way.  They are not brain-dead robots who will kill.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Each side needs to own their hypocrisy.  The truth is not important to either side, it is all about agenda.  The real difference with Trump is he may actually believe his lies.

I think comparing the level of Trumps lies with the the political lies that both parties have told in the past is doing a disservice to the level of trump's lying.

Before Trump = Rhode Island size lying

Trump = Mexico sized lying

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Sorry, but to dehumanize Trump supporters is out of line.  You may disagree with them, but they have their reasons they think that way.  They are not brain-dead robots who will kill.  

I disagree.  You don't think that at one of those rallies if he starting telling people to starting kicking protesters butts they wouldn't beat those people to a pulp?

You are being grossly naive

Also note that I did say 'some supporters'...but it is a pretty good contingent

 

 

Edited by killface
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Each side needs to own their hypocrisy.  The truth is not important to either side, it is all about agenda.  The real difference with Trump is he may actually believe his lies.

Spin is nothing new. Using the media as a tool is nothing new. Manipulating them is not new. Bending the truth on some matters is nothing new. A complete blackout on honesty as we are seeing here while shutting out the press and affording them not one question in the first press conference by the PRESS SECRETARY? I'm pretty sure that is new. The tone-deafness of what he did at the CIA yesterday? On day one? Yeah, that's new.

Edited by Apple Jack
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, killface said:

I think comparing the level of Trumps lies with the the political lies that both parties have told in the past is doing a disservice to the level of trump's lying.

Before Trump = Rhode Island size lying

Trump = Mexico sized lying

 

 

Once you cross the line in accepting lies to promote an agenda, does the size of the lies matter?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

That is a fair statement.  But we are not even remotely close to being North Korea or the Soviet Union.  

And we won't get that far. But we're closer in the last two days than we ever have been in our lifetimes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

That is a fair statement.  But we are not even remotely close to being North Korea or the Soviet Union.  

Well we are making good progress for being one day in.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jon_mx said:

But yet Hillary is ......

:lmao:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Once you cross the line in accepting lies to promote an agenda, does the size of the lies matter?  

Yes, yes it does.  Constant lying about absolutely everything is brutally different

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jon_mx said:

Once you cross the line in accepting lies to promote an agenda, does the size of the lies matter?  

Yes, it does. Of course it does. There are degrees of dishonesty everywhere in our everyday lives. Always have been. Hope that helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Sorry, but to dehumanize Trump supporters is out of line.  You may disagree with them, but they have their reasons they think that way.  They are not brain-dead robots who will kill.  

"I could shoot someone in the middle of 5th Avenue and not lose a vote".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

That is a fair statement.  But we are not even remotely close to being North Korea or the Soviet Union.  

Did you pay attention to the way Trump ran his campaign? It was third world, banana republic stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, killface said:

Exactly...

I just can't understand the supporters of Trump.  I have a very good feeling if he went on tv and said kill the person standing next to you a lot of people would be murdered.  Some of his supporters appear to have lost their mind.

This is what I find most disturbing. The real impact of this narcissistic con man on the daily life of my family is likely to be low (and would be even lower if I would stop reading about current events). We made it through the very real harm done by 8 years of GWB as well. And now we get Trump foisted on us.

That almost 50% of our country would vote for this disaster in waiting is exceptionally frightening. There was beyond ample evidence illustrating his lack of fitness for POTUS. It was overwhelming. Yet so many were either unable to critically evaluate that evidence or-even more frightening-didn't care.

i spent more time on other various forums over the past few years than here. The number one statement from Trump supporters as to why they supported him was "He says what he wants, he's not politically correct". These people-amazingly-based their choice on POTUS on the expectation that they would be able to slur non straight non white non Christians without social reprobation.

That is the level that many Trump supporters are at. It's almost like a game to them, as if they have no inkling of the responsibilities of the office and the damage that could be done by a severely unqualified POTUS. Trump has done as much damage to our country BEFORE he became president as some past presidents have done over their entire terms. I don't think that's hyperbole.

 

Edited by Ranethe
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ranethe said:

This is what I find most disturbing. The real impact of this narcissistic con man on the daily life of my family is likely to be low (and would be even lower if I would stop reading about current events). We made it through the very real harm done by 8 years of GWB as well. And now we get Trump foisted on us.

That almost 50% of our country would vote for this disaster in waiting is exceptionally frightening. There was beyond ample evidence illustrating his lack of fitness for POTUS. It was overwhelming. Yet so many were either unable to critically evaluate that evidence or-even more frightening-didn't care.

i spent more time on other various forums over the past few years than here. The number one statement from Trump supporters as to why they supported him was "He says what he wants, he's not politically correct". These people-amazingly-based their choice on POTUS on the expectation that they would be able to slur non white Christians without social reprobation.

That is the level that many Trump supporters are at. It's almost like a game to them, as if they have no inkling of the responsibilities of the office and the damage that could be done by a severely unqualified POTUS. Trump has done as much damage to our country BEFORE he became president as some past presidents have done over their entire terms. I don't think that's hyperbole.

 

What's even worse is how badly those Trump supporters potentially damaged their party long term. I get a little irritated when people say "Republicans are all..." "Democrats are all..." because it's never an accurate representation of millions of people - there are levels - there are tolerant people on both sides, there are racist people on both sides, etc etc.  Trump backers post inauguration need their own classification - they aren't Republicans imo. This was a slam dunk election year for Rubio, Kasich, even Jeb Bush most likely - an easy win - a walk over.  But Trump supporters just couldn't do it and they ruined the party long term (or at the very least changed the face of it).  Make no mistake - this will set the Republican party back years - this will be an unmitigated disaster.  So I'm a little salty with most Trump supporters for potentially ruining the political system we have in this country that contains many presidential and reasonable people in the Republican party.  Blah.  

Edited by John Bender
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ranethe said:

 

That almost 50% of our country would vote for this disaster in waiting is exceptionally frightening. There was beyond ample evidence illustrating his lack of fitness for POTUS. It was overwhelming. Yet so many were either unable to critically evaluate that evidence or-even more frightening-didn't care.

 

 

But isn't the problem that not even close to 50% of the country voted for him?  In fact, he got less than 50% of the people who voted, which is in fact a small subset of the voting population.  He won by getting 70K more votes than his opponent in the states.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kelly Ann Conway for 4 years is going to be unbearable as well.

"Why did Trump lie about the inauguration turnout?"

"That's not important, what's important is how many people voted for President Trump and he is going to replace Obamacare and do this and do that..."

:wall:

Kelly Ann "Sean Spicer offered alternative facts"

Edited by John Bender
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sweet J said:

But isn't the problem that not even close to 50% of the country voted for him?  In fact, he got less than 50% of the people who voted, which is in fact a small subset of the voting population.  He won by getting 70K more votes than his opponent in the states.

:lmao: and :deadhorse:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Each side needs to own their hypocrisy.  The truth is not important to either side, it is all about agenda.  The real difference with Trump is he may actually believe his lies.

You can't help yourself, it doesn't matter what each side thinks, it doesn't matter what Clinton did, Obama did, or anyone else. This was Trumps's day, him and his people did this and they deserve to take the heat for it. No one else.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Once you cross the line in accepting lies to promote an agenda, does the size of the lies matter?  

A) Our president lies.

B) Our president is a ####ing God Damn liar.

 

I'd say it matters to many.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, John Bender said:

What's even worse is how badly those Trump supporters potentially damaged their party long term. I get a little irritated when people say "Republicans are all..." "Democrats are all..." because it's never an accurate representation of millions of people - there are levels - there are tolerant people on both sides, there are racist people on both sides, etc etc.  This was a slam dunk election year for Rubio, Kasich, even Jeb Bush most likely - an easy win - a walk over.  But Trump supporters just couldn't do it and they ruined the party long term (or at the very least changed the face of it).  Make no mistake - this will set the Republican party back years - this will be an unmitigated disaster.  So I'm a little salty with most Trump supporters for potentially ruining the political system we have in this country that contains many presidential and reasonable people in the Republican party.  Blah.  

Mid-terms might be a bloodbath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Otis said:

Exactly this.  It's Russia and North Korea.  That's a little terrifying.  Which sounds a little melodramatic to say, since we're talking about the US of A, and what are the odds of it getting to that?  

Fight back.  When you smell something, say something.

This stuff only works if enough people buy it.  Mock, highlight the lies, laugh at him, make it clear you're not buying.

And the media is up for the fight IMO.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People also seem to be confusing dishonesty with the type of lying that's going on here.  "There are WMDs in Iraq" was a lie, but the people who spread it honestly believed it and tried to support it with evidence that turned out to be false." "If you like your plan you can keep it" turned out to be a lie, but at the time it was said the speaker intended and hoped for it to be true. 

Fuethermore, when politicians have made these statements and others they have also fielded questions about them and, when appropriate, have owned up to their mistakes.

What Trump did during the campaign and what he and Spicer did yesterday is to my recollection unprecedented in this country.  They lied to the American people in ways so blatant that they must have known they were lying, about things that are easily disproven, and have refused all inquiries asking them to explain their lies or holding them accountable for them. 

It's not hyperbole to compare their actions to North Korea just because our country is freer and more prosperous than North Korea.  This is page one of the authoritarian playbook.  It boggles my mind that ANYONE is ok with this.

"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears.  It was their final, most essential command." 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, John Bender said:

Kelly Ann Conway for 4 years is going to be unbearable as well.

"Why did Trump lie about the inauguration turnout?"

"That's not important, what's important is how many people voted for President Trump and he is going to replace Obamacare and do this and do that..."

:wall:

Kelly Ann "Sean Spicer offered alternative facts"

Did this actually happen?  I don't even know what to think is bs anymroe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, culdeus said:

Did this actually happen?  I don't even know what to think is bs anymroe.

Yes - on Meet The Press just now.  It's worth viewing if you can find it after the broadcast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

Did you pay attention to the way Trump ran his campaign? It was third world, banana republic stuff. 

As opposed to the guy who won on Bush sucks we need some hope and change?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

People also seem to be confusing dishonesty with the type of lying that's going on here.  "There are WMDs in Iraq" was a lie, but the people who spread it honestly believed it and tried to support it with evidence that turned out to be false." "If you like your plan you can keep it" turned out to be a lie, but at the time it was said the speaker intended and hoped for it to be true. 

Fuethermore, when politicians have made these statements and others they have also fielded questions about them and, when appropriate, have owned up to their mistakes.

What Trump did during the campaign and what he and Spicer did yesterday is to my recollection unprecedented in this country.  They lied to the American people in ways so blatant that they must have known they were lying, about things that are easily disproven, and have refused all inquiries asking them to explain their lies or holding them accountable for them. 

It's not hyperbole to compare their actions to North Korea just because our country is freer and more prosperous than North Korea.  This is page one of the authoritarian playbook.  It boggles my mind that ANYONE is ok with this.

"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears.  It was their final, most essential command." 

Hard to disagree with any of this.  I have no idea what Trump was thinking there.  Such a dumb and pointless time to lie too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jon_mx said:

As opposed to the guy who won on Bush sucks we need some hope and change?  

Yes, as opposed to that.  

Even if your characterization of the Obama campaign was accurate (it's not), Trump's campaign was very different.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TobiasFunke said:

Yes, as opposed to that.  

Even if your characterization of the Obama campaign was accurate (it's not), Trump's campaign was very different.   

Just let him go, he can't help it. No matter what Trump does someone on the left did something bad and that makes it okay.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rule #1 for press relations is that you can obfuscate, you can misrepresent, you can shade the truth to a ridiculous degree, or play dumb and pretend not to know things you absolutely do know. But you can't peddle affirmative, provable falsehoods.

And that, in a nutshell is the difference between Trump and "all politicians do it".

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NREC34 said:

This is supposed to be a funny thread. 

C'mon guys. 

It might help to know if he is literally-literally ROFL or only figuratively-literally.

Either way, I'm guessing the problem is that there's no rug or carpeting, so the more ROFL, the more it hurts. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

As opposed to the guy who won on Bush sucks we need some hope and change?  

Again all you do is go back to something else...Trump did this, well Obama kind of did it well!!! Distraction at it's finest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jhib said:

It might help to know if he is literally-literally ROFL or only figuratively-literally.

Either way, I'm guessing the problem is that there's no rug or carpeting, so the more ROFL, the more it hurts. 

 

Otis did give me a real lol early on with the post about the orange color wheel. 

:lmao:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Rule #1 for press relations is that you can obfuscate, you can misrepresent, you can shade the truth to a ridiculous degree, or play dumb and pretend not to know things you absolutely do know. But you can't peddle affirmative, provable falsehoods.

And that, in a nutshell is the difference between Trump and "all politicians do it".

Yeah it was weird. There are so many ways Spicer could have gone.  He could have pointed to tv ratings, even complained about some unfavorable camera angles.  While that would have seemed petty, it possibly had some merit.  But he went full-on "lie", which was unnecessary.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now