What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last! (10 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/elienyc/status/1191371439611547652?s=21

This tweet is astounding, showing the huge chasm between whites with no college education and everyone else. 

I want to make it clear that I’m simply interpreting these numbers, and any inference about the group itself is evident. We’ve seen through debate here that there’s a certain behavior pattern exhibited by those in this demographic, what they tend to care about, and how they tend to relate to information and form arguments. It’s hard to see this and conclude that this group is more concerned with the health of our system, and not acting out emotionally based on other factors related to their sense of entitlement as a product largely of their race.
Common demographics vote commonly.  Not monolithically, but commonly.  So too Blacks, Hispanics, Jews, LGBTQ's, Military and LEO's, Educators, ....

Nothing particularly shocking in the poll given that we know Trump had some support somewhere.  Now whether having any support is shocking I leave to others as I do not wish to cause a ruckus.

The Daily Mail is reporting on an allegation that kushner gave MBS the green light to arrest Khashoggi, Turkey knew, and Erdogan used that as blackmail to get trump to pull troops out. 
It wouldn't surprise me at all if this happened, but I'm not going to get worked up about it until there's more corroborating evidence. Please keep us posted on this one.

I agree with you that there's probably a lot of other improprieties that have gone on, and are currently going on that we just don't know about yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I'm questioning why this particular demographic supports Trump. What is the common denominator?
I imagine there is more than one.  The question probably could more accurately be put as what are the common denominators?  Were I called upon to pick just one I might go with perceived, if not actual, economic interest as from that can flow other matters such as xenophobia.  For others it may be intelligence, education, aculturalization, upbringing.  I merely suggest that if you are truly looking for answers you be willing to look deeper than that tweet.s. 

Thanks for the reminder.  I just set aside more money for my kids college funds.  I'm more than willing to bankrupt my future and retirement account to make sure they're well educated, and also their kids.
Clark Howard says this is the opposite of what you should do.  I appreciate your passion and commitment to your children though GB.

I was more forgiving of Trump supporters shortly after the election. I voted for Trump, though always thought he is terrible and voted for him over Hillary for a few reasons, one of which was to cancel my wife’s vote in a state where Trump was already destined to win. I also figured Hillary would win, and didn’t want anything that appeared like a mandate, and also thought America might need a shot in the arm to start being responsible shepherds of our system. If given the choice again, I’d vote for Hillary, and if I’d been in a state that was being contested, I’d have reluctantly voted Hillary. 

I was sympathetic in 2016 to the fact that non-Urban America had been marginalized, or that this was at least perceived specifically in relation to a globalist like Clinton.

But as Trump’s cruelty, racism, and erraticism have manifested, and the Democratic field offers solid options, it’s hard to ignore the fact that one of, if not the, predominant factors in the Trump cult is a sense that Trump will take from “them,” and give to “us,” the denominator being strictly race. It’s why, I’d argue, he base is so hard to erode.  
Me, I could never vote for Trump or for Hillary.  I would always vote for a third way given that choice. Given no alternative choice I would not validate the matter by participation. 

I was sympathetic in 2016 to the fact that non-Urban America had been marginalized, or that this was at least perceived specifically in relation to a globalist like Clinton.
In light of the political power a minority of voters now holds thanks to our voter distribution and archaic Electoral College, I'm finding it hard to have much sympathy for non-urban America these days.

I'm sorry for picking the one thing out of your very good post that I didn't like.

Clark Howard says this is the opposite of what you should do.  I appreciate your passion and commitment to your children though GB.
Thanks.  I'm not real familiar with Clark and will have to check out his podcasts that I just found by googling his name.    

I'm a pretty simple guy and don't need much to live.  My eldest child (9) has shown a real passion for knowledge and wisdom.  Besides making sure she has the opportunity for a great education, I also want to invest in her travels.  Let her experience world views from other country's sides.  I should probably keep some money set aside for my youngest too.  I have a feeling they may need bail money.  

In light of the political power a minority of voters now holds thanks to our voter distribution and archaic Electoral College, I'm finding it hard to have much sympathy for non-urban America these days.

I'm sorry for picking the one thing out of your very good post that I didn't like.
That was the part of Mr. Hams post that sort of stuck out to me.  Don't want to hijack this too much, but It's very similar to Gov. Walker's reasoning for gerrymandering WI.  Non-Urban WI has been marginalized and gerrymandering solves that.  

To see Nationals losing their #### over this is really bad.  I mean nobody believes that Kurt Suzuki is going to start going on Hannity and Tucker Carlson and tell people that the Ukraine deal is a hoax or that white supremacy is a hoax or some #### like that. 

For all we know Trump might have thought he was Chinese

To see Nationals losing their #### over this is really bad.  I mean nobody believes that Kurt Suzuki is going to start going on Hannity and Tucker Carlson and tell people that the Ukraine deal is a hoax or that white supremacy is a hoax or some #### like that. 

Are Nats fans going crazy elsewhere?  I think I'm the only one who posted about it here, and I just made a Titanic joke.

Just the usual twitter disappointment.  They seem to be more upset with Zimmerman who told Trump how proud he was that he is making America the greatest country and all this.  Like I am sure in my mind he that statement was going to be made if a cactus plant was our president much less Trump

Good point. It’s all part of the negotiations. 

😂

Just the usual twitter disappointment.  They seem to be more upset with Zimmerman who told Trump how proud he was that he is making America the greatest country and all this.  Like I am sure in my mind he that statement was going to be made if a cactus plant was our president much less Trump
Maga’s Gotta get that little middle finger in somehow.

Thanks.  I'm not real familiar with Clark and will have to check out his podcasts that I just found by googling his name.    

I'm a pretty simple guy and don't need much to live.  My eldest child (9) has shown a real passion for knowledge and wisdom.  Besides making sure she has the opportunity for a great education, I also want to invest in her travels.  Let her experience world views from other country's sides.  I should probably keep some money set aside for my youngest too.  I have a feeling they may need bail money.  
:lmao: I understand. 

Trump is a colossal PIA whenever he comes to town, which is shockingly too often.

We don't live anywhere near Rupp, but traffic is a nightmare everywhere...

Just had to get that off my chest.  Thanks for listening.

K Street’s newest star built business on dubious claims of Trump ties

- Michael Esposito makes his appearance.

Since President Trump took office, the lobbyist Michael Esposito has been wildly successful, turning a family business that once focused on municipal transportation issues into one of the fastest-growing lobbying firms in Washington.

Esposito has broken into the international market, landing top-dollar Ukrainian clients last year and collecting $1.65 million from Chinese tech giant Huawei in a three-month period this year, according to lobbying records. In all, Esposito’s firm, Federal Advocates, pulled in five times as much money in 2018 as it did in the year before Trump took office, records show.

Fueling that rise, at least in part, are Esposito’s claims that he is uniquely positioned: a former Capitol Hill staffer who is close to centers of power in the Trump administration.

Esposito has “an open line of communication to the President of the United States” and is in “regular” contact with the president, Federal Advocates wrote in three contract bids reviewed by The Washington Post. The same proposals say Esposito worked with the president’s son Eric Trump and son-in-law and senior adviser Jared Kushner on real estate deals. And the firm’s website calls Esposito “an integral part of the senior-most leadership” of the Republican National Committee. 

...Esposito declined to be interviewed for this story. In emails, he stood by his claims. He said nondisclosure agreements prevent him from discussing details of his work with Kushner and the president’s son. Esposito provided a photo of himself with Trump next to an American flag at a 2017 fundraiser as evidence of his claim, in bids for local government contracts, to have a “strong personal and professional relationship with President Trump.”

...Esposito, 41, worked as a commercial pilot before following his father into the lobbying business in Washington. For years, many of their clients were local governments focused largely on transportation-related policy and federal grants. ...

Rust Belt reversal: Can Pres. Trump hold industrial swing states

Trump claimed 10,000 new factory jobs because of him.  Since then, 25,000 jobs have been lost. 

Everything he's promised us, it's not there. That's how he went after the Midwest, the rust belt, Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan and all that, it's not working. -Bob Harper US Steelworkers 1123

Of course the WH didn't bother to reply when asked to comment. 

Yeah "Mr/Ms Anonymous" is just a coward. Perhaps it would be more helpful if they publicly testified to the crimes they are witnessing. 
I understand Ham's point but putting their name on it could be hazardous to their health. 

Library wanted subscription to NYT.   Guess what happens next?

The librarians of Citrus County, Fla., had what seemed like a modest wish: A digital subscription to the New York Times. For about $2,700 annually, they reasoned, they could offer their roughly 70,000 patrons an easy way to research and catch up on the news.

But when their request came before the Citrus County commission last month, local officials literally laughed out loud. One commissioner, Scott Carnahan, declared the paper to be “fake news.”

“I agree with President Trump,” he said. “I will not be voting for this. I don’t want the New York Times in this county.”

In a move that is generating intense online backlash, all five members of the commission agreed to reject the library’s request. The discussion took place Oct. 24, the same day the Trump administration announced plans to cancel federal agencies’ subscriptions to the Times and The Washington Post. While there’s no apparent connection — the Citrus County meeting began several hours before the Wall Street Journal broke the news of the new edict — the controversy unfolding in central Florida highlights how politicians nationwide are parroting the president’s disparaging rhetoric about the media.

Trump instructs federal agencies to end Washington Post and New York Times subscriptions

While the Citrus County commission is technically nonpartisan, the area, located amid the swamps and springs north of Tampa, is deeply conservative. At the Oct. 24 meeting, the proposal to budget several thousand dollars for a Times digital subscription was met with immediate disapproval and suspicion.

“Do we really need to subscribe to the New York Times?” asked Commissioner Ron Kitchen Jr.

The other men seated at the dais chuckled.

“I actually was going to say that,” responded Carnahan. He had seconded a motion to hear the item only so that they could have a discussion about the Times, he said, eagerly volunteering his opinion: “I don’t agree with it, I don’t like 'em, it’s fake news, and I’m voting no.”

Suggesting that a lack of resources wasn’t the problem, Carnahan said that the library could take the thousands of dollars that an institutional subscription to the Times would cost and ″do something else with it.” And community members who really wanted to read the paper could simply sign up for home delivery. “I support Donald Trump,” he concluded.

Flanked by a county flag depicting frolicking manatees, all four commissioners who were present agreed to turn down the request. When a fifth commissioner, Jimmie T. Smith, returned to his seat and learned what he had missed, he took no issue with denying the library funding.

“Why the heck would we spend money on something like that?” asked Smith, a former Republican state representative.

The commission moved on to other topics, approving a janitorial contract, issuing a proclamation recognizing Toastmasters and declaring October as “Friends of the Library Month,” seemingly without any sense of irony. Afterward, two commissioners who hadn’t spoken up during the meeting told the Citrus County Chronicle that they worried that agreeing to pay for the Times would lead to requests for subscriptions to more “radical publications."

“I don’t feel like the county is obligated to subscribe to every major newspaper or every point of view,” Jeff Kinnard, the commission’s chairman, told the paper. “At some point you draw the line.”

Another commissioner, Brian Coleman, said that his concerns were also political in nature. “I support President Trump,” he told the Chronicle. “I would say they put stuff in there that’s not necessarily verified.”

The Chronicle noted that the four commissioners who agreed to be interviewed said that they did not read the Times.

As the paper also pointed out, the Citrus County library system spends about $3,000 annually on a print subscription to the Times. Two of the county’s four branch libraries only get the paper on Sunday, however, and library officials had hoped to broaden its reach. Unsurprisingly, the commission’s decision came as a disappointment.

“Someone’s personal political view does not have a place in deciding what library resources are available for the entire county,” Sandy Price, the chairwoman for the library’s advisory board, told the Chronicle. “Libraries have to ensure all points of view are represented.”

Others were more blunt. “Citrus County, long known for sinkholes, can now also be known for censorship,” tweeted Wall Street Journal photo editor Matt Riva. Critics made comparisons to the dystopian society depicted in the Ray Bradbury novel “Fahrenheit 451” and government censorship in North Korea, and accused the commission of “pure stupidity and ignorant thinking” and being “backwoods idiots.”

The Chronicle reported Friday that they had been flooded with calls and emails from readers. Some commissioners began to backtrack, but only slightly. Carnahan told the Chronicle last week that while he still didn’t think the county should pay for the Times, that had nothing to do with his personal views and was only a question of saving taxpayers’ money. Meanwhile, Coleman told the paper that he had made a mistake and that the matter should be revisited.

“Our decision should have been impartial, instead of having it become a personal thing,” he said.

Meanwhile, other residents expressed support on social media for the commission’s decision. Some echoed the accusations of “fake news,” while others asked why people couldn’t just read the print edition at the library, or suggested that anyone who wanted to read the Times could move back to New York.

Anthony Sabatini, a Republican state representative from nearby Lake County, Fla., congratulated the Citrus County commission for their decision. “Lake County Commission should do the same!” he wrote on Twitter.

David Fahrenthold

@Fahrenthold

The day after @tmobile announced this merger (which needed Trump admin approval), 9 of its execs checked in to@realdonaldtrump's D.C. hotel. The company spent $195K at the hotel in the months after that. https://washingtonpost.com/politics/a-place-i-feel-very-comfortable-t-mobile-executives-seeking-government-approval-for-merger-stayed-at-trumps-hotel-repeatedly/2019/01/15/6a114d3e-142c-11e9-b6ad-9cfd62dbb0a8_story.html…

Quote Tweet

@FCC

BREAKING NEWS: The FCC has officially approved the merger of T-Mobile and Sprint, a transaction which will help close the #DigitalDivide & promote wide deployment of #5G services
Trump's still loosing money on the deal, take that to the bank.

OrtonToOlsen said:
I know what happens next because that is my home newspaper. It has created more reader response than any other article ever- the Chronicle stated that in the Sunday edition. The BOCC is going to bring it up again at their next meeting. I am also a friend of the Citrus County Library and talked to Eric Head the director of the library. He told me that even if someone donated the $7000 for a 3 year digital subscription that the BOCC still has to approve it! 

If Commissioner Carnahan had simply said that it would not fit the budget there would have been no controversy. But he had to open his yap and say that it is "fake news" and that just raised the roof with protest. Everyday since the story broke the online comments, letters to the editor and the "sound off" section where callers can call in anonymously are all stating they will remember this at the polls. 

I know what happens next because that is my home newspaper. It has created more reader response than any other article ever- the Chronicle stated that in the Sunday edition. The BOCC is going to bring it up again at their next meeting. I am also a friend of the Citrus County Library and talked to Eric Head the director of the library. He told me that even if someone donated the $7000 for a 3 year digital subscription that the BOCC still has to approve it! 

If Commissioner Carnahan had simply said that it would not fit the budget there would have been no controversy. But he had to open his yap and say that it is "fake news" and that just raised the roof with protest. Everyday since the story broke the online comments, letters to the editor and the "sound off" section where callers can call in anonymously are all stating they will remember this at the polls. 
Nice.  Let's hope that in a few years folks like Carnahan will be sad footnotes.

Nice.  Let's hope that in a few years folds like Carnahan will be sad footnotes.
He was also just busted for not living in the district he ran for. The county records show he lives in Crystal River which is not in his district. Then he came out and said he lives in a hut on a large plot of land in Floral City which is in his district and to top it off the county just now permitted the hut to be a residence, he says he rents it with his wife. The sad thing was that when he ran for the office in 2016 his opponent was a really well qualified democrat. All 5 Citrus County commissioners are Republicans. I can attest to the fact that Citrus County has the dubious distinction of being not only the oldest demographic but also the whitest! Lot of oldsters here, I'm 61 and feel like a spring chicken compared to my neighbors.

He was also just busted for not living in the district he ran for. The county records show he lives in Crystal River which is not in his district. Then he came out and said he lives in a hut on a large plot of land in Floral City which is in his district and to top it off the county just now permitted the hut to be a residence, he says he rents it with his wife. The sad thing was that when he ran for the office in 2016 his opponent was a really well qualified democrat. All 5 Citrus County commissioners are Republicans. I can attest to the fact that Citrus County has the dubious distinction of being not only the oldest demographic but also the whitest! Lot of oldsters here, I'm 61 and feel like a spring chicken compared to my neighbors.
Yeesh

At least he's surrounded by terrible pizza all the time. 

I know I am in the minority,  but Steve Perry's voice is like fingernails on the blackboard to me.

And they used to be a good hard rock band in the Bay Area before Perry joined. Now it's pop schlock to me.
True story:  My brother used to work in a restaurant with Sherrie of “Oh Sherrie” fame.  Steve Perry would come in every so often.

"Saw" Journey in the early 80's.   By "saw" I mean smoked weed and slammed a bunch of California Coolers. By the time the concert started I puked all over the place and passed out.  People WERE NOT happy. 

Trump now has 157 Judges confirmed.  44 are Appeal Court Judges. That is 1/4th of them.

That is chilling. 
I've been thinking about these judges but not sure I fully understand the process of installing them and any resume requirements.  

All are approved by Senate, right?  So mostly conservative view, constitution as written, judges.  Is there a concern that some of these judges don't have real law backgrounds and experience, or believe in the constitution and have a real political or financial agendas?

This made me laugh and then cry.

@ddale8: Trump says the whistleblower's source probably does not exist, which makes no sense. He is saying false/misleading/bizarre things in rapid succession, faster than I can type.

This made me laugh and then cry.

@ddale8: Trump says the whistleblower's source probably does not exist, which makes no sense. He is saying false/misleading/bizarre things in rapid succession, faster than I can type.
There was no source. That means whistleblower just took a wild guess that Trump brought up investigating Biden in his phone call. Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread