Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
gussy

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last!

59 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I predict Trump will hire himself. 

“Who better to advise me than me?”

This is what will happen. Trump won’t fill the position just like many others. I’m shocked about the firing though. 

It feels like the US and UK have a back-and-forth competition going about who can #### up worse.  The good news is that the UK parliament is shut down for the next 5 weeks, so we have some time to relax before it all kicks off again with Brexit.

2 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Tom Cotton? Yikes!

Edit to say pure speculation on my part. Might be more dangerous than Bolton. 

This thing feels like its coming apart at the seams. Pompeo the rapture enthusiast appears to have the reigns right now. 

The whole Greenland fiasco might reappear then

9 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

It feels like the US and UK have a back-and-forth competition going about who can #### up worse.  The good news is that the UK parliament is shut down for the next 5 weeks, so we have some time to relax before it all kicks off again with Brexit.

V Putin reacted to your post.

I guess Trump won't be winning the weatherperson vote:

MSNBC

@MSNBC

WATCH: Members of the National Weather Service's Birmingham office, which tweeted that Alabama would not see impacts from Hurricane Dorian, received a standing ovation at the annual weather association conference.

Some good news for a change:

CNN Poll: 6 in 10 say Trump does not deserve a second term

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/10/politics/cnn-poll-trump-reelection-2020/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN)Six in 10 Americans say President Donald Trump does not deserve to be reelected, according to a new CNN Poll conducted by SSRS, and more now say he's doing a poor job than a good one of keeping important campaign promises.

Overall, the poll paints a picture of a President who has done little to improve negative impressions of him or his work during his time in office. Across several questions asked early in Trump's time in office and asked again now, the poll finds little positive change and deep partisan polarization.

The 60% who say the President does not deserve to be reelected is similar to the 63% who felt that way in November 2017. That outpaces his most recent predecessors at a similar stage in their presidencies. In October 2003, a CNN/Gallup/USA Today poll found that 52% of Americans thought George W. Bush did deserve reelection, and Gallup's polling in 2011 found the share saying Barack Obama did not deserve to be reelected stood in the low 50s.

The President's approval rating remains about where it was in mid-August, with 39% approving of the job he's doing and 55% disapproving. Although any change in the last few weeks has not been large enough to be statistically significant, his disapproval rating is the highest it's been since early February, with approval the lowest since January.

Trump's approval ratings for handling major issues are largely stagnant, with what little movement there is heading in the wrong direction for the President. His approval rating for handling the economy has dipped below 50% for the first time since early this year, and his ratings have worsened at least slightly on foreign trade, foreign affairs and environmental policy.

The President's approval rating for handling immigration has held roughly steady, but the 59% who currently disapprove is numerically the highest since just before last year's midterm elections. A majority (52%) say Trump's policies on immigration do too much to limit immigration to the US, 24% consider them about right and 20% say they do not go far enough.

In one encouraging finding for the President in the poll, there has been a slight increase over the last two years in the share of registered voters who say he deserves to be reelected, from 35% in November 2017 to 39% now. And among those who are most enthusiastic about voting next year, the share who see the President as deserving of a second term is higher, at 43%. Still, even among that group, 55% say he ought not to be reelected.

Compared with early this year, more overall now say that the President has changed the country for the worse. Among all adults, 80% say the President has created significant changes in the country, up from 76% who felt that way in early February. That includes 45% who say the President has changed things for the worse, up from 37% who said so in the survey earlier this year. Thirty-three percent say Trump has changed the country for the better and 2% said the change hasn't been for better or worse or were undecided about what the change meant.

That shift comes mostly from independents and Democrats. Among Republicans, 73% say the President has changed the country for the better -- that stood at 70% in February. Among independents, the share who say Trump has changed things for the worse shifted from 35% in February to 47% now. Among Democrats, that share has increased from 62% to 69%.

Further, 51% say Trump is doing a poor job keeping important promises he made during the presidential campaign and 43% say he's doing a good job. That's a reversal since April, when 50% said he was doing a good job and 46% a poor one. That change comes almost entirely among independents, 51% of whom said he was doing a good job keeping his promises in April, that now stands at 38%.

The President's volatile summer -- including several sudden shifts on policy on guns and trade as well as stubborn defenses of demonstrably untrue statements -- has not led to a worsening of public trust in official communications from the White House. Overall, 71% say they trust only some or nothing at all of what they hear from official White House communications, about the same as the 68% who felt that way in late 2017. Just 9% say they trust almost all of what they hear from the White House, and another 19% say they trust most of it.

Trust in the White House remains sharply polarized along party lines, with a majority of Republicans saying they trust most of what they hear from the White House (58%), while most independents trust only some or less (65%) and a majority of Democrats say they trust nothing at all that they hear from the White House (52%).

Americans are also no more confident now than at the outset of the President's time in office that handing over control of the Trump Organization to his adult sons has done enough to prevent conflicts of interest. In the new poll, 60% say that does not go far enough to prevent those conflicts, about the same as the 62% who felt that way just before the President was sworn in.

Skepticism that the arrangement keeps the President from having a conflict of interest crosses demographic lines, but again, partisans are divided on the matter. Two-thirds of Republicans (67%) say the setup does do enough to prevent conflicts compared with just 30% of independents and 10% of Democrats.

The CNN Poll was conducted by SSRS from September 5 through 9 among a random national sample of 1,639 adults reached on landlines or cellphones by a live interviewer. Results for the full sample have a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3.2 percentage points. The survey's sample included oversamples of African American and Latino registered voters. Those subsets have been weighted to represent the appropriate share of the overall population, and are not over-represented in the overall results of the poll.

@sho nuff

@FF Ninja

@SaintsInDome2006

I am urging you guys and any other Trump critics to stop posting in the Trump 2020 thread. The people who started that thread have written several times that they don't want any critics there. So let them have it. They are not worth having dialogues with any longer; perhaps they never were. They make ridiculous assertions, refuse to back them up, ignore genuine concerns, and spend most of their time trolling. So leave them alone; they're not worth it.

If one of those guys truly wants to have a serious discussion, they'll let us know by coming into this thread or one of the other more specific issue threads.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I disagree. I think exposing such attitudes and mistruths is important.

6 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

They've been exposed to anyone who wants to see them. They enjoy trolling you.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

25 minutes ago, timschochet said:

@sho nuff

@FF Ninja

@SaintsInDome2006

I am urging you guys and any other Trump critics to stop posting in the Trump 2020 thread. The people who started that thread have written several times that they don't want any critics there. So let them have it. They are not worth having dialogues with any longer; perhaps they never were. They make ridiculous assertions, refuse to back them up, ignore genuine concerns, and spend most of their time trolling. So leave them alone; they're not worth it.

If one of those guys truly wants to have a serious discussion, they'll let us know by coming into this thread or one of the other more specific issue threads.

No offense man but don’t you still engage Stealthy?  I’ve had to wade through that <redacted> for months and now we are worried about serious discussion?

Edited by AAABatteries
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

No offense man but don’t you still engage Stealthy?  I’ve had to wade through that <redacted> for months and now we are worried about serious discussion?

No

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

@sho nuff

@FF Ninja

@SaintsInDome2006

No....you guys keep giving them the attention in that thread.  Otherwise they come out of it and into others and screw them up.  Of course, now I am branded as a troublemaker because I wasn't going to let one of them twist my position, so now I am part of the problem apparently.  It's all for the better that you guys keep them in there....TIA.

• Like 4
  • Laughing 1

5 minutes ago, The Commish said:

No....you guys keep giving them the attention in that thread.  Otherwise they come out of it and into others and screw them up.  Of course, now I am branded as a troublemaker because I wasn't going to let one of them twist my position, so now I am part of the problem apparently.  It's all for the better that you guys keep them in there....TIA.

No thanks. I’m done. 

• Like 1

This latest Russian story is staggering. We had a source close to Putin that basically confirmed everything we suspected about Trump, and then we had to pull him out because Trump couldn’t be trusted. 

But the public just yawns...

2 hours ago, sho nuff said:

You thrive on instigating. Exposing attitudes? Why they allow you to stir the pot is ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

2 hours ago, timschochet said:

It's been evident to me for some time now that the best approach is to ignore. These people need to be worked around, not worked with.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, timschochet said:

The public just yawns...

30% don't care and gary johnson voters are the ones yawning.

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

This latest Russian story is staggering. We had a source close to Putin that basically confirmed everything we suspected about Trump, and then we had to pull him out because Trump couldn’t be trusted. 

But the public just yawns...

To be fair, I don’t think the source confirmed anything about Trump, only that the Kremlin all the way up to Putin were involved in the election interference scheme to get Trump elected.

3 hours ago, timschochet said:

@sho nuff

@FF Ninja

@SaintsInDome2006

Welcome to 2 years ago?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

9 minutes ago, Ranethe said:

Welcome to 2 years ago?

It's been way more than two years, more than two decades really.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ranethe said:

Welcome to 2 years ago?

Yeah I’m always late to learn my lesson. I trust everybody too much, I think they’re for real. But now I’ve learned. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, timschochet said:

Tim, you're a fan of history, and I think somewhat political science. I don't think any Trump supporter can be convinced of anything policy-wise, in fact I don't think they hold real policy positions. And that's it, that's the phenomenon. It's a rejection of policy, expertise, facts, journalism. I personally think it's interesting to observe and try to understand what's going on, because 1. it's dangerous, to this country and our allies, and 2. this is real live history that's going on. My hope is that this is temporary, an historical delta wave, and not a realignment. Considering the fact that we are living through these "interesting times" as the Chinese put it I think it's best we should use this amazing tool to see what's happening.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Tim, you're a fan of history, and I think somewhat political science. I don't think any Trump supporter can be convinced of anything policy-wise, in fact I don't think they hold real policy positions. And that's it, that's the phenomenon. It's a rejection of policy, expertise, facts, journalism. I personally think it's interesting to observe and try to understand what's going on, because 1. it's dangerous, to this country and our allies, and 2. this is real live history that's going on. My hope is that this is temporary, an historical delta wave, and not a realignment. Considering the fact that we are living through these "interesting times" as the Chinese put it I think it's best we should use this amazing tool to see what's happening.

This is it.  It's very interesting, and I don't really understand it. A few days ago, in the"Wikipedia is biased" thread, I went down a rabbithole on conservapedia and stumbled on "Best of the Public".  In a nutshell, the author believes that in nearly all areas, you get better results from the public at large vs trained experts in a particular field.  He cites a number of examples, of course, but it doesn't take much to shoot holes in nearly every case.

Anyway, this philosophy allows for the outright rejection of anything derived from a recognized expert: politics, economics, religion, climate, military strategy, etc.  It's really a quite dangerous phenomenon and pretty much the opposite of everything I believe. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

It was interesting to observe, for a while. It isn’t any longer, at least not for me. It’s repetitive crap. I’m sick of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mister CIA said:

Checks watch ... Taco Tuesday still not over.

Couple of Doritos Tacos sound really good

New Texas polls from University of Houston: 6 of the Democrat candidates are beating Trump head to head: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theweek.com/speedreads-amp/864097/6-democratic-candidates-are-beating-trump-new-texas-poll

Its probably not real. I don’t think it’s wise to expect that Texas is going to be a blue state, or even a purple one, in 2020. But still...

15 hours ago, The Commish said:

Yeah.  It is like r/TheDonald on Reddit.  

2 hours ago, timschochet said:

New Texas polls from University of Houston: 6 of the Democrat candidates are beating Trump head to head: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theweek.com/speedreads-amp/864097/6-democratic-candidates-are-beating-trump-new-texas-poll

Its probably not real. I don’t think it’s wise to expect that Texas is going to be a blue state, or even a purple one, in 2020. But still...

Of course not. Trump is going to win every state with the most votes ever in the world. 

All glory and honor to you almost Almighty Trump! Forever and ever, covfefe. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Commish said:

I took a look in that thread, hadn't been there in a while. :shock: :tinfoilhat: It's something over there

15 minutes ago, badmojo1006 said:

I took a look in that thread, hadn't been there in a while. :shock: :tinfoilhat: It's something over there

Not surprising.... early i committed to not going back in there giving them the safe space they wanted. I posted in there once after that thinking i had clicked on a different thread....ooops, multitasking.... that happened once. ONCE. :lol:

I don't believe that all conservatives reject expertise, facts, and journalism. But many of those who support Trump do. In particular, most of those who openly support Trump in this forum ignore facts and spout false information most of the time. Some of them are bright people, which means they are either fooling themselves or trolling, or its a combination of the two. I used to try and figure out what their motivation is, now I find I no longer care.

Edited by timschochet
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

I don't believe that all conservatives reject expertise, facts, and journalism. But many of those who support Trump do. In particular, most of those who openly support Trump in this forum ignore facts and spew garbage most of the time. Some of them are bright people, which means they are either fooling themselves or trolling, or its a combination of the two. I used to try and figure out what their motivation is, now I find I no longer care.

Go ahead and list the facts that Trump supporters reject.  I'll hang up and listen.

Just now, Don't Noonan said:

Go ahead and list the facts that Trump supporters reject.  I'll hang up and listen.

Thank you, but I will decline. I've done it before. I've spent months doing it. Others continue to do it, and will no doubt keep on. More power to them, but I'm out.

You're no dummy, DN. You're a smart guy. If you still support President Trump at this point then there is no argument or information that I can offer to change your mind.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

Thank you, but I will decline. I've done it before. I've spent months doing it. Others continue to do it, and will no doubt keep on. More power to them, but I'm out.

You're no dummy, DN. You're a smart guy. If you still support President Trump at this point then there is no argument or information that I can offer to change your mind.

OK - I will take this as a win and admitted falsehood that you and others have claimed that Trump supporters don't accept facts.

• Laughing 2

Just now, Don't Noonan said:

OK - I will take this as a win and admitted falsehood that you and others have claimed that Trump supporters don't accept facts.

You're welcome to take it any way you like. It wouldn't be much different from most of your other evaluations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, moleculo said:

what's a load of garbage?  that conservatives reject policy, expertise, facts, or journalism?  because that's Gods honest truth. 

This kind of painting with a broad brush is what derails the conversation I believe.  While what you’re saying is absolutely true for a faction of Trump supporters it is absolutely not correct for all “conservatives”

Edited by dkp993
  • Thanks 1

I will give Trump credit for trying to put a ban on those flavored e-cigarettes.   Most people realize that they are way more dangerous than regular cigarettes hid under children like flavors to get them started as early as possible. 

Now an argument could be made that why worrying about banning something charged to 6 deaths while the average number of death and injuries in mass shootings this year alone is more than 6.  But safe to say most Trump supporters are huffing away on bubble gum or chocolate milkshake or whatever crap flavor  e-cigarettes.  

12 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I will give Trump credit for trying to put a ban on those flavored e-cigarettes.   Most people realize that they are way more dangerous than regular cigarettes hid under children like flavors to get them started as early as possible. 

Now an argument could be made that why worrying about banning something charged to 6 deaths while the average number of death and injuries in mass shootings this year alone is more than 6.  But safe to say most Trump supporters are huffing away on bubble gum or chocolate milkshake or whatever crap flavor  e-cigarettes.  

Came here to discuss this and agree with this entire post. 

2 minutes ago, 2Squirrels1Nut said:
16 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Are they actually going to ban them?  Altria is up today.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Is this what people think now? That e-cigs are MORE dangerous than regular cigarettes?

//tiredofthedarkesttimeline

1 hour ago, 2Squirrels1Nut said:

Facts down?

Real cigarettes are significantly worse for your health than electronic ones.

The Trump Administration has moved to severely limit, or outright eliminate, Bahamian refugees trying to come here fleeing their countries’ devastation. 

Just another day in Trump’s America, in which our exceptionalism is being eroded hour by hour. 

59 minutes ago, (HULK) said:

Real cigarettes are significantly worse for your health than electronic ones.

If used in the same amounts. I guess the questions are, have the electronic ones surpassed real ones in amount of intake per "smoker," what health consequences accrue if so, and if/how the electronicness or reduction in per dosage damage has increased utilization.

Edited by Gr00vus

9 minutes ago, timschochet said:

The Trump Administration has moved to severely limit, or outright eliminate, Bahamian refugees trying to come here fleeing their countries’ devastation. 

Just another day in Trump’s America, in which our exceptionalism is being eroded hour by hour. 

Our? I'm as exceptional as I've ever been - maybe even more so.

Trump's still a dirt bag though, same as he ever was. This is just your bi-daily reminder of that fact.

3 hours ago, dkp993 said:

This kind of painting with a broad brush is what derails the conversation I believe.  While what you’re saying is absolutely true for a faction of Trump supporters it last absolutely not correct for all “conservatives”

I want to argue with you in that I didn't say "all" conservatives, although I guess it could be implied. 

Would it be better if I said "many conservatives" or perhaps "conservative leadership" or even "conservative media"?  "the pro-Trump wing of the conservative media"?

I think the brush is actually quite broad.