Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
gussy

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last!

8 minutes ago, whoknew said:

He keeps committing crimes without consequence so why stop?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sheriff Bart said:

He keeps committing crimes without consequence so why stop?  

I hope it won't happen but when a Dem President does half of the stuff Trump has done, the Republicans will be shouting till they're blue in the face. And, all that needs to occur is finger pointing to a note card with the numbers, "2016-2020", on it along with a :whistle:

Trump Cringingly Courts Latino Vote: “Who Do You Like More, the Country or the Hispanics?”

President Donald Trump made a campaign stop in New Mexico Monday night in an effort to boost his support among Latino voters. Trump is deeply unpopular among Latinos in America—with a poll this month showing his approval rating at 25 percent—and it’s not hard to imagine why. Part of Trump’s appeal to Trump-y white voters is his “protection” of them and their interests by targeting and disparaging everyone else. So, as you can imagine, when Trump tried to sidle up to Latino voters Monday night, it got a bit awkward. “Yesterday marked the beginning of the Hispanic Heritage Month—who’s Hispanic here?” Trump asked the crowd. “Incredible people … we have much to celebrate.”

It got worse.

At one point, Trump called out Steve Cortes, who serves as a member of Trump’s Hispanic Advisory Council, from the podium. “He happens to be Hispanic, but I’ve never quite figured it out, because he looks more like a WASP than I do,” Trump said. “But I tell you what, there is nobody that loves his country more or is Hispanic more than Steve Cortes.”  “Nobody loves the Hispanics more. Who do you like more, the country or the Hispanics?” Trump continued. “He says the country. I don’t know. I may have to go for the Hispanics, to be honest with you. We’ve got a lot of Hispanics. We love our Hispanics. Get out and vote.”

Good God man. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 5
  • Thinking 2
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

It got worse.

And worse.
"And at the center of America's drug crisis, this is where the Hispanics know it better than anybody, people said, 'Oh, the Hispanics won't like a wall.' I said, 'I think they are going to love it,'" said Trump. 'They won't like border security.' 'I think they're going to love.' You know why? Because you understand it better than other people, but at the whole center of this crisis is the drugs that are pouring in, and you understand that when other people don't understand it."

eta- Someone needs to teach him the difference between Latino and Hispanic

Edited by Mystery Achiever

13 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

"We love our Hispanics."

Who's the "we"?

Edited by Amused to Death
And the "our"?
  • Thinking 1

I can’t even...

I mean...I don’t understand how...

Nevermind.

{sigh}

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The most surprising thing about that story is that 1 in 4 support Trump. That seems high.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

5 minutes ago, Biff84 said:

The most surprising thing about that story is that 1 in 4 support Trump. That seems high.

It might even be a little higher than that in Texas but much lower in California.  The nation's Hispanics are pretty hard to pin down politically and they are a general (they're a pretty diverse group) opportunity for Republicans to stave off the demographic deluge heading their way. But the GOP keeps shooting itself in the foot nationally the way it did in California a decade or two ago. It's hard to win over a demographic group when you campaign that people in it are criminals who need to be kept from immigrating here.

Again it is easy to say that "Hispanics" aren't part of this country for Trump because about 90% of them won't vote for them.  And the base LOVES it.   

2 hours ago, Mystery Achiever said:

Someone needs to teach him the difference between Latino and Hispanic

I've always used the two interchangeably. What is the distinction? 

So Trump said he honestly likes "the hispanics" more than the country.

And people still think he's a good choice for POTUS. Weird.

1 hour ago, Biff84 said:

That was my first honest thought too. 

14 minutes ago, Murph said:

Latinos are from Latin America. Hispanics are from Spanish-speaking countries..
Someone from Barcelona is Hispanic, but not Latino. 
Someone from Venezuela is both.
Someone from Brazil is Latino, but not Hispanic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Murph said:

Someone needs to teach him the difference between Latino and Hispanic

Hispanic is based on language (speaking Spanish), while Latino is based on location (coming from Latin America).

There is a lot of overlap between the two. But some people are Hispanic but not Latino (i.e., descendants of people from Spain), while other people are Latino but not Hispanic (Brazilians, African-South-Americans, etc.).

• Thanks 1

And worse.
"And at the center of America's drug crisis, this is where the Hispanics know it better than anybody, people said, 'Oh, the Hispanics won't like a wall.' I said, 'I think they are going to love it,'" said Trump. 'They won't like border security.' 'I think they're going to love.' You know why? Because you understand it better than other people, but at the whole center of this crisis is the drugs that are pouring in, and you understand that when other people don't understand it."

eta- Someone needs to teach him the difference between Latino and Hispanic

Also where the drugs pour in across the border.  Well, he knows that, but his lies work...so why stop?

2 hours ago, Biff84 said:

Hispanic Americans are about 75% practicing or raised Catholic.  It's a monumental failure of the Republican Party that it's failed to build a tent big enough for them.

• Like 1

At one point, Trump called out Steve Cortes, who serves as a member of Trump’s Hispanic Advisory Council, from the podium. “He happens to be Hispanic, but I’ve never quite figured it out, because he looks more like a WASP than I do,” Trump said. “But I tell you what, there is nobody that loves his country more or is Hispanic more than Steve Cortes.” Oof, Trump talks about race like a tanked grandpa at Thanksgiving. “Nobody loves the Hispanics more. Who do you like more, the country or the Hispanics?” Trump continued. “He says the country. I don’t know. I may have to go for the Hispanics, to be honest with you. We’ve got a lot of Hispanics. We love our Hispanics. Get out and vote.”

America 1st? Well, just after the Hispanics. America 2nd!

Edited by Skoo
  • Laughing 1

3 hours ago, Sheriff Bart said:

Just three short years ago, this would have been considered the most disgusting racist thing a US president ever said. Today, it's the fourth biggest news story and not a single GOP politician will have a problem with it.  Welcome to Trump's America

• Like 2

Just now, Sheriff Bart said:

Don't click on the Kavanaugh thread.  It gets much worse.

Oh boy.  I don't even want to know .

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JuniorNB said:

Just three short years ago, this would have been considered the most disgusting racist thing a US president ever said. Today, it's the fourth biggest news story and not a single GOP politician will have a problem with it.  Welcome to Trump's America

That's unfortunate - Paul Ryan probably.  

29 minutes ago, VandyMan said:

So Trump said he honestly likes "the hispanics" more than the country.

And people still think he's a good choice for POTUS. Weird.

I'm gonna explain this from my father-in-law's perspective.* I've posed to him the similar sentiment, one that I very much espouse, that regardless of Trump's policies he's detrimental to our country because his lack of decorum and social grace is such an embarrassment both presently nationally and for our children when they reflect on this time period. My FIL's response is to acknowledge that Trump often says dumb things, but justifies it by saying that Trump is a businessman who isn't politically correct and that's what makes him good in other spheres of his job as a president. I think my FIL finds it endearing to an extent because it's normal and common for a person, especially one of Trump's generation, to sometimes say politically incorrect things that weren't intended to be an insult and that common sense suggests any rational person would know what Trump meant and that it wasn't overt racism. So, ultimately, this would only be a relatively small and meaningless flaw that is greatly overshadowed by the benefits of Trump's policy. 

While I certainly disagree, it's the best non-weird response I can provide to the suggestion that it's weird people still think Trump is a good choice for president despite making awful, borderline racist statements. 

*For those unfamiliar, my FIL has been my reference point on this board for understanding the perspective of a good, kind, well-meaning, intelligent and educated, Trump supporter. I have never seen any overt racist tendencies from my FIL, he is very respectful of opposing viewpoints, and I think he genuinely wants what is best for the country as a whole. However, he loves the Trump, mostly for his policies (SC nominations, rolling back restrictions and taxes on business owners, etc.), and absolutely hated Obama. 

1 minute ago, Sheriff Bart said:

Maybe we can transfer him to some hispanic banana republic.

I don't think Gap Inc. would find him qualified to run one.

19 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Hispanic Americans are about 75% practicing or raised Catholic.  It's a monumental failure of the Republican Party that it's failed to build a tent big enough for them.

Yep. My anecdotal interactions with Hispanic and/or Latino Americans is that many are staunchly Catholic which means they are socially conservative (staunchly pro-life, opposed to gay marriage, etc.). In other words, they share similar views with most Republicans on social issues. It's a total failure for the Republican party to not capitalize on that. 

1 minute ago, Sideshow Bob said:

I don't think Gap Inc. would find him qualified to run one.

True but The Gash would be right up his alley.

Been reading on twitter lately that Homelessness will be Trump's next focus. From today - 

@jdawsey1 - Trump says homeless people are living in "our best highways, our best streets, our best entrances to buildings" where people pay "tremendous taxes" and want "prestige." Says he's speaking to tenants who "want to leave the country." He adds: "We'll be doing something about it."

--

While many may think it, the "homeless people are constantly getting in the way of wealthy people" is not a view you usually hear explicitly stated.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Been reading on twitter lately that Homelessness will be Trump's next focus. From today - 

@jdawsey1 - Trump says homeless people are living in "our best highways, our best streets, our best entrances to buildings" where people pay "tremendous taxes" and want "prestige." Says he's speaking to tenants who "want to leave the country." He adds: "We'll be doing something about it."

--

While many may think it, the "homeless people are constantly getting in the way of wealthy people" is not a view you usually hear explicitly stated.

Almost Jesus 

• Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1

58 minutes ago, whoknew said:

--

:lmao:  I can't wait to see this one

Just now, whoknew said:

--

Build a wall around the highways, streets and entrances to buildings? And make the homeless pay for it!

• Thinking 1

9 minutes ago, apalmer said:

Build a wall around the highways, streets and entrances to buildings? And make the homeless pay for it!

And build it.

2 hours ago, whoknew said:

--

Maybe if we surround the White House with homeless, the current tenant will want to leave too.

Dear DNC,

I have an idea.....

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, Sheriff Bart said:

Trump plans to revoke a key California environmental power; state officials vow to fight

Because more poison in the air is a good thing right Trump supporters? 

They haven't acknowledged one thing about rollbacks to environmental regulations.  It's on them.

Edited by urbanhack
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, whoknew said:

--

He should just declare himself a eugenicist and be done with it.  Much of his base probably wouldn't care and/or would agree.  Plus, it'd be fun to watch him try to say "eugenicist."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drunken Cowboy said:

GOP party of states' rights?

Only when it's convenient, duh. 

1 hour ago, tri-man 47 said:

He should just declare himself a eugenicist and be done with it.  Much of his base probably wouldn't care and/or would agree.  Plus, it'd be fun to watch him try to say "eugenicist."

Oranges?

53 minutes ago, badmojo1006 said:

Or maybe legal and moral. it's tough to tell these days

Rosalynn Carter nails it:

“I think we need a new president,” Rosalynn Carter said. “I am so disturbed about white power. He [Trump] says he is not a racist and maybe he is not. But some of the things he says, encourages racism.”

• Thanks 1