Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
gussy

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Koya said:

Let's be honest... you can't really speak the truth here.  If the truth offends, then you have to water it down to a meaningless position or not state it. 

However, others can spread lies with near impunity - and because the harsh truth can't be spoken, those lies are given the weight of truth, and in some cases, more. Because people's sensibilities and fragile nature are more important than the truth.

There's a lot of irony there, considering how many of the offended were first to complain that people get offended too easily.

 

We have destroyed critical (if at times unpleasant) and honest discourse along with the ability to counter dangerous propaganda in the name of not offending those who aren't comfortable with objective truths.

It's really a terrible disservice to this community and the truth in general. The result is only certain loud voices and their approach are heard which has really negatively impacted my impressions of some groups out there (well beyond this board), which is not healthy at all. A lot of my friends and colleagues associate with those same positions - but they actually deal with hearing the truth, even if they don't believe it. Unlike these boards, that allows for constructive discussion and moving on at some point, even if in disagreement, and mutual respect - or at least agreeing that we can respect each other, if not each others' views.

That last point is the primary reason that I've found these boards counterproductive to living a positive life and working with others (of ALL beliefs and political perspectives) to do the same. Constructive and engaging discourse simply doesn't happen here anymore. Heck, Facebook is a thousands times more genuine and constructive.

Ok, back to baseball folks.  Sadly, not much changed around here.

The truth hurts, and it's easy to see it hurts. Thus those hurt by the truth can easily prove why they're hurt to moderators. All that matters is that a poster was hurt. It doesn't matter that it was true. A quick click of the report button, and the poster of the truth is given a time out. 

Lies on the other hand take a lot of fact checking to disprove. And even when it is proved to be a lie, it's hard to prove someone was hurt by it. A click of the report button on a lie will get a :confused: response from the mods, and then the reporting poster needs to make a case to prove to the mod it was a lie, assuming the mod even cares. And assuming the mod does care, even if the case they were presented with is convincing that it was a lie, the real question about punishing someone is did the cause harm, and how much. That's a far more daunting thing to prove for the reporting poster. Even lawyers aren't willing to go through such a task on a message board. Pretty much no one wastes the time reporting lies for this reason, and those who do failed to make their case. Maybe... maybe once in a blue moon justice was actually served to a lying poster. But for the most part, the worst they will get is lots of disagreeing responses. Nothing more. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ddale8

Another day: President tweets baseless accusation that Democrat broke the law, deletes because of typo, reposts, deletes because central allegation is wrong, reposts with central allegation corrected but baseless accusation of illegality still there.

Wednesday

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rich Conway said:

Fox News can be very convincing when that's your only source of information.  I know some otherwise very smart people that get taken in by it.

I've never understood people who only watch/listen to only one source of information. How can you understand your opposition if you have no idea of what they are actually saying?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Politician Spock said:

The truth hurts, and it's easy to see it hurts. Thus those hurt by the truth can easily prove why they're hurt to moderators. All that matters is that a poster was hurt. It doesn't matter that it was true. A quick click of the report button, and the poster of the truth is given a time out. 

Lies on the other hand take a lot of fact checking to disprove. And even when it is proved to be a lie, it's hard to prove someone was hurt by it. A click of the report button on a lie will get a :confused: response from the mods, and then the reporting poster needs to make a case to prove to the mod it was a lie, assuming the mod even cares. And assuming the mod does care, even if the case they were presented with is convincing that it was a lie, the real question about punishing someone is did the cause harm, and how much. That's a far more daunting thing to prove for the reporting poster. Even lawyers aren't willing to go through such a task on a message board. Pretty much no one wastes the time reporting lies for this reason, and those who do failed to make their case. Maybe... maybe once in a blue moon justice was actually served to a lying poster. But for the most part, the worst they will get is lots of disagreeing responses. Nothing more. 

Hurt?  By a fantasy message board post?  Really?  Nobody's eyeballs are bleeding for reading anything here, let alone anyone's opinion changing to the point they do something negative like voting for the wrong person.  Gasp.  No, most people are suspended for not following rules, the vast majority of which have nada to do with actually hurting anyone.  Unless, maybe, you are really really susceptible to getting your feelings hurt.  I could see that happening occasionally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Commish said:

:lmao:

This is by far the easiest group to "offend".  I've been reported and suspended twice for labeling the thread where Trump supporters only want Trump supporters to participate their "safe space" despite staying out (as they wish) from pretty much the beginning.  Those are the only two times I have ever been suspended here and this includes my incessant rants about Obama's drone decisions, GWB going into Iraq and tearing John Kerry down to the ground.  All those topics were far more aggressive than labeling a thread correctly.

This is pretty amazing. You're talking about the thread where any non Trump supporter gets insulted for posting in?  Not sure why that is allowed.

5 hours ago, Koya said:

Let's be honest... you can't really speak the truth here.  If the truth offends, then you have to water it down to a meaningless position or not state it. 

However, others can spread lies with near impunity - and because the harsh truth can't be spoken, those lies are given the weight of truth, and in some cases, more. Because people's sensibilities and fragile nature are more important than the truth.

Great posting.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have we covered in here how they also fired the Department of Transportation IG? You know, Mitch McConnell's wife? Very swampy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

Have we covered in here how they also fired the Department of Transportation IG? You know, Mitch McConnell's wife? Very swampy.

I can’t tell if it’s “uh oh I may only have a few months so it’s time to get my hit list taken care of” or if it’s just “screw it, I can do anything and my cult will follow.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

I got a two week vacation for saying this last time, but I’ve got to ask again...

 

I can understand being a republican and having a republican mindset. I cannot at all understand how anyone can be in favor of Trump. He’s such a child. 
 

The only thing I can come up with is the people that love him are the same adults that still watch wrestling. They don’t care about politics, they don’t care about people, they just care about the spectacle and when Trump comes out and slams someone with a chair they start cheering. 

I agree it's hard to address the issue about Trump's juvenile,nasty, rude behavior without calling a spade a spade. I have started some posts here and thought I better not knowing I might be absent for a couple weeks. 

Edited by lazyike
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Politician Spock said:

The truth hurts, and it's easy to see it hurts. Thus those hurt by the truth can easily prove why they're hurt to moderators. All that matters is that a poster was hurt. It doesn't matter that it was true. A quick click of the report button, and the poster of the truth is given a time out. 

Lies on the other hand take a lot of fact checking to disprove. And even when it is proved to be a lie, it's hard to prove someone was hurt by it. A click of the report button on a lie will get a :confused: response from the mods, and then the reporting poster needs to make a case to prove to the mod it was a lie, assuming the mod even cares. And assuming the mod does care, even if the case they were presented with is convincing that it was a lie, the real question about punishing someone is did the cause harm, and how much. That's a far more daunting thing to prove for the reporting poster. Even lawyers aren't willing to go through such a task on a message board. Pretty much no one wastes the time reporting lies for this reason, and those who do failed to make their case. Maybe... maybe once in a blue moon justice was actually served to a lying poster. But for the most part, the worst they will get is lots of disagreeing responses. Nothing more. 

As Joe Biden would say "Come on man"    There are only about 25-50 regulars in the PSF.  think about it..if you are worried what a handful of people on either side gets upset up everyone needs to take a deep breath because it really does not matter what is posted her in the big picture.

I see all these posts where everyone is really upset and I bet they can`t wait until they get up in the morning to  battle again.   We have some posters here who average 60-70 posts a day in the PSF..really?  Yes really.

Whatever any of us think is right or wrong is all out of our control and has been for a long time.   

 Memorial Day weekend coming up..hope everyone can enjoy soime time with you families as it allowed and try to enjoy life.  As we see now it is sacred.

Edited by Da Guru
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

As Joe Biden would say "Come on man"    There are only about 25-50 regulars in the PSF.  think about it..if you are worried what a handful of people on either side gets upset up everyone needs to take a deep breath because it really does not matter what is posted her in the big picture.

I see all these posts where everyone is really upset and I bet they can`t wait until they get up in the morning to  battle again.   We have some posters here who average 60-70 posts a day in the PSF..really?  Yes really.

Whatever any of us think is right or wrong is all out of our control and has been for a long time.   

 Memorial Day weekend coming up..hope you can enjoy time with you families as it allowed and try to enjoy life.  As we see now it is sacred.

I've never been worried about upsetting someone.... which apparently is why I got two timeouts in the past two months. I would like it to be like it used to be, where I didn't care. But now I have to care, or I'm given another time out. The people who get butthurt have won. 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Politician Spock said:

I've never been worried about upsetting someone.... which apparently is why I got two timeouts in the past two months. I would like it to be like it used to be, where I didn't care. But now I have to care, or I'm given another time out. The people who get butthurt have won. 

And of course the irony is that they’re the ones who have been whining about PC culture for years. 

Edited by tommyGunZ
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Where is the outrage at this underreported crime spree?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Our church opened Monday...multiple services every day and adding a weekend service to spread people out.  Seats are taped off with limits also in the main worship space, social hall with a feed and another room as overflow with a feed.  Communion will be distributed into thaoe areas as well.  After capacity, people will be asked to park in a certain area to stream the service via phone...with ministers coming out to serve communion if needed. 
As well as the feed streamed for those who should stay at home or wish to stay at home.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Our church opened Monday...multiple services every day and adding a weekend service to spread people out.  Seats are taped off with limits also in the main worship space, social hall with a feed and another room as overflow with a feed.  Communion will be distributed into thaoe areas as well.  After capacity, people will be asked to park in a certain area to stream the service via phone...with ministers coming out to serve communion if needed. 
As well as the feed streamed for those who should stay at home or wish to stay at home.

Gonna be awhile for us. Normal Sundays for Hillsong NYC is 3 services, 3,500+ (standing room only), 1,000 volunteers. If we do social distancing a few months from now, that’d be every other row, every third seat - roughly 583. If we double shifted volunteers & the creative team, we could do 6 services, and still only be able to seat 1/3rd. Rent is by far our biggest expenditure, it wouldn’t be sustainable to rent more than one venue. No easy answers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So...the WH was discussing having the first nuclear weapons test in decades in response to China and Russia. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JbizzleMan said:

So...the WH was discussing having the first nuclear weapons test in decades in response to China and Russia. 

 

need to make sure the laws of physics still work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

357th visit to a Trump property. 
265th of those to a golf course. 
 

But hey he’s donating his salary 🤣

  • Like 3
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trey said:

357th visit to a Trump property. 
265th of those to a golf course. 
 

But hey he’s donating his salary 🤣

Only 68 more golf outings to beat Obama's total for eight years (assuming he didn't play golf at someone else's course).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today Merkel declined the invitation to the G-7 meeting at Camp David in June, obviously citing the corona crisis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2020 at 1:41 PM, Trey said:

357th visit to a Trump property. 
265th of those to a golf course. 
 

But hey he’s donating his salary 🤣

How much has his company made in regards to charging the taxpayer for all the rooms/services/amenities that were required when he went to one of his properties? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thunderlips said:

How much has his company made in regards to charging the taxpayer for all the rooms/services/amenities that were required when he went to one of his properties? 

I don’t even want to know. He’s done a nice job enriching himself through this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Trey said:

I don’t even want to know. He’s done a nice job enriching himself through this.

I don't know....he's not taking a paycheck.  😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2020 at 6:19 PM, Roy L Fewks said:

I have a chance to break the Deep State! If only I can win the election...

 

4 years not enough?  What's taking this guy so long?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Thunderlips said:

I don't know....he's not taking a paycheck.  😉

Wow. A billionaire not taking a 6 figure check. So awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump should resign. Country coming unglued, because of him.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ironic that while all this was brewing, Trump was watching white men get catapulted into the stratosphere. Seems to be all he cares about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

Trump should resign. Country coming unglued, because of him.

 

As normal, civilized people predicted was inevitable. The Chaos president. Not just our country either.  He has sown chaos throughout the world. I hope nobody ever forgets. His supporters and the enablers (all the “both sides” and “just politics” and “difference of opinion” people) are complicit and share the blame.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ranethe said:

As normal, civilized people predicted was inevitable. The Chaos president. Not just our country either.  He has sown chaos throughout the world. I hope nobody ever forgets. His supporters and the enablers (all the “both sides” and “just politics” and “difference of opinion” people) are complicit and share the blame.

Brazil in similar position, but contemplating military takeover.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2020 at 9:43 AM, The Commish said:

Seems our paths have been pretty similar.  This election will be the first one I've ever voted for a D or R for president.  Looking over our ballot, it seems like locally, I'll have about a 45/55 mix R to D....might end up 40/60 after all is said and done.  Nationally, I will NOT vote R....this includes my rep for the House.  The GOP has jumped the shark and left me in the dust as they sprint to the absurd right.

Interesting. Based on the postings I've seen from you, I don't see you as voting for 40% Republicans. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How had I never heard about this?

Woody Guthrie wrote a song about Trump’s dad and his racist housing practices. Called “Old Man Trump”.

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The General said:

How had I never heard about this?

Woody Guthrie wrote a song about Trump’s dad and his racist housing practices. Called “Old Man Trump”.

You mean the loser, low-ratings, fake news Woody Guthrie? Nasty song. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, kwille said:

You mean the loser, low-ratings, fake news Woody Guthrie? Nasty song. 

Sorry you mean the soros backed deep state pawn, loser, low-ratings fake new woody guthrie nasty song?

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cubd8 said:

Interesting. Based on the postings I've seen from you, I don't see you as voting for 40% Republicans. 

You see mainly my thoughts on the big three...House, Senate, and Presidency.  I have utter contempt and disgust for our current administration.  I don't hide that.  From a morality perspective, it's the worst I've seen in my lifetime.  Throw on top of that this significant migration to "the right" by the GOP towards Trumpism and politically I find myself with less and less in common with any of them.  For example, I have nowhere to go for fiscal conservatism.  Some will suggest that's always been the case and to some extent that's probably true nationally.  However, locally, I can still find those people who are fiscally conservative and "socially responsible" (as I like to call them).  There was a time where I could respect positions even if I didn't agree with them.  That too has sailed.  Law and order?  Respect for the Constitution?  Equal treatment under the law?  Seeing people as people and not a skin color?  All that is eroding faster today than it ever has.  

Fortunately, I can still find a lot of those things locally.  I suspect that's because the local guys haven't been in this racquet for as long and haven't been as contaminated as the federal positions.  But, when I find them, I vote for them.  Nationally, I have pretty much voted the "independent" route for the last few cycles.  In my view, things have gotten so bad that I think I'm going to be casting several protest votes for the first time ever.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ranethe said:

As normal, civilized people predicted was inevitable. The Chaos president. Not just our country either.  He has sown chaos throughout the world. I hope nobody ever forgets. His supporters and the enablers (all the “both sides” and “just politics” and “difference of opinion” people) are complicit and share the blame.

Exactly. Yet just like their fearful leader they will continue to project their blame elsewhere. 

  • Like 3
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guy whose supporters call "Alpha" hid in his bunker last night and turned off the White House lights like he'd run out of Halloween candy.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

The guy whose supporters call "Alpha" hid in his bunker last night and turned off the White House lights like he'd run out of Halloween candy.

Cute jab but I'm sure you realize the Secret Service makes those decisions, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Cute jab but I'm sure you realize the Secret Service makes those decisions, right?

Doesn't make the obersavation untrue or not factual

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dutch said:

Doesn't make the obersavation untrue or not factual

It's immature and petty.  But if you want to be factual I'm pretty sure he didn't turn off the lights like he ran out of Halloween Candy.  I'm pretty sure the SS ordered him to the bunker so I'd say it wasn't very factual or true.   But carry on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the going got tough, trump went hiding 

  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump blamed Obama for the Ferguson riots because of weak leadership. Where is he now? Biden's been much more visible and in the open than Trump has.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, dutch said:

When the going got tough, trump went hiding 

That's a tendency of people who bluster like that. When push comes to shove, the blusterers vanish.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

It's immature and petty.  But if you want to be factual I'm pretty sure he didn't turn off the lights like he ran out of Halloween Candy.  I'm pretty sure the SS ordered him to the bunker so I'd say it wasn't very factual or true.   But carry on

It's been stated that as a presidential candidate, Biden is also afforded a SS detail. Yet he was out talking to community leaders in Delaware while Trump was sequestered. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kal El said:
36 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

It's immature and petty.  But if you want to be factual I'm pretty sure he didn't turn off the lights like he ran out of Halloween Candy.  I'm pretty sure the SS ordered him to the bunker so I'd say it wasn't very factual or true.   But carry on

It's been stated that as a presidential candidate, Biden is also afforded a SS detail. Yet he was out talking to community leaders in Delaware while Trump was sequestered. 

I wouldn't expect any president to be at a protest. But I do expect a competent president to be visible and able to communicate a message of unity and calm. He can still be forceful against ALL violence and destruction while being sympathetic to the cause. Address the nation for a few minutes. Be presidential and be a leader. Do the exact opposite of hiding behind a twitter handle and sending divisive messages.

He appeared much more sympathetic to the neo-Nazis in Charlottesville. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amused to Death said:

Trump blamed Obama for the Ferguson riots because of weak leadership. Where is he now? Biden's been much more visible and in the open than Trump has.

Thats when the passed the regs for police departments to purchase military style weapons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kal El said:
1 hour ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

It's immature and petty.  But if you want to be factual I'm pretty sure he didn't turn off the lights like he ran out of Halloween Candy.  I'm pretty sure the SS ordered him to the bunker so I'd say it wasn't very factual or true.   But carry on

It's been stated that as a presidential candidate, Biden is also afforded a SS detail. Yet he was out talking to community leaders in Delaware while Trump was sequestered. 

We can't pretend that the physical requirements are the same between Biden and Trump.  There's no question that Trump was taken down there.  "Forced"?  Who knows...doubt it, but who knows.  SS has protocols and I'm pretty sure one of them is to secure the President when things start getting weird outslde the WH.  Regardless, the "hiding" part also applies to his leadership, which has been virtually non-existent.  To that point, he's absolutely gone and hid IMO (and I think that's probably the best thing for this country in this very moment).  And, no, I don't think throwing a tantrum to the Governors or threatening to infringe on the states with the NG without their permission is "leadership".  Any other President, I'd expect to be giving a message from the oval office.  This one?  I hope he doesn't as he's almost guaranteed to say something stupid and make it worse.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.