Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
gussy

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last!

2 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Any other President, I'd expect to be giving a message from the oval office.  This one?  I hope he doesn't as he's almost guaranteed to say something stupid and make it worse.

Brett Baier alluded to this on Fox News as to why he hasn't addressed the nation. The last time he did it didn't go very well (Baier's words). His handlers may be afraid to put him on tv.

8 minutes ago, Amused to Death said:

Brett Baier alluded to this on Fox News as to why he hasn't addressed the nation. The last time he did it didn't go very well (Baier's words). His handlers may be afraid to put him on tv.

We've all heard him on the phone with the Governors....that's him.  Those that would believe he's sincere in his remarks to the nation are the ones that believe the recordings are fake.  And yes, I have seen that floated already.  It's a messed up time we are living in for sure.

1 hour ago, Amused to Death said:

Trump blamed Obama for the Ferguson riots because of weak leadership. Where is he now?

He's still blaming weak leadership. He's just blaming governors and mayors. And probably Obama and Biden too.

• Like 3

never thought it could be this bad, and i fear we're nowhere near the bottom.

• Sad 3

38 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

He's still blaming weak leadership. He's just blaming governors and mayors. And probably Obama and Biden too.

The ironic part of that is that it's his leadership that's weakest of all of those.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Was it Reagan who asked “Are you better off today than four years ago?”

• Like 2
  • Thinking 2

Coming on the heels of the federal government's abdication of leadership responsibility during the pandemic, now we have this.  Two stark reminders of the leadership we need, and two stark reminders of the lack of leadership we are getting. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Was it Reagan who asked “Are you better off today than four years ago?”

Good question.

18 minutes ago, Kal El said:

The ironic part of that is that it's his leadership that's weakest of all of those.

I believe psychologists call this "projection".

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

I believe psychologists call this "projection".

That sounds about right.

1 hour ago, [scooter] said:

This is his M.O. You could set your watch to it. 

Anything bad happens, blame Democrats, Obama, local leadership. 

Anything good happens, accept all the credit, say that he's the only one who could have accomplished it. 

It's so transparent that I almost respect the level to which he's able to bamboozle tens of millions of people. 

• Like 2

The lectern is set up in the rose garden. This will be a very interesting speech. Not much press visible but a few.

2 minutes ago, Joe Mammy said:

The lectern is set up in the rose garden. This will be a very interesting speech. Not much press visible but a few.

From a historical standpoint, pretty big speech.

1 minute ago, Joe Mammy said:

Will Trump ever say, “Black lives matter”?

No

4 minutes ago, Joe Mammy said:

Will Trump ever say, “Black lives matter”?

The progenitor of the Central Park 5 full page New York Times ad. No. Way.

• Like 2

He’s dominating this press conference. 

1 hour ago, Rich Conway said:

Trump tries for another distraction: https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/01/politics/flag-burning-supreme-court-trump/index.html

Can't imagine why we shouldn't put a pause on COVID and racist, killer cops to make flag burning illegal.

Obviously a Hail Mary where he’ll claim liberals want to burn flags. Liberals!!1!11

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Fan of Charles McCoy said:

Obviously a Hail Mary where he’ll claim liberals want to burn flags. Liberals!!1!11

The simplest things are often the most effective. Not sure what that says about the audience. Well...maybe I’m kinda sure.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Rich Conway said:

Trump tries for another distraction: https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/01/politics/flag-burning-supreme-court-trump/index.html

Can't imagine why we shouldn't put a pause on COVID and racist, killer cops to make flag burning illegal.

That's also really not how judicial review works. 

• Thinking 1

Tucker Carlson seems to get it:

Meridith McGraw @meridithmcgraw· 56m

Wow -- Tucker Carlson is really going after everyone tonight, including Jared Kushner: "No one has more contempt for Donald Trump's voters than Jared Kushner does and no one expresses it more frequently."

YIKES. The whole quote: "Some key advisors around the president don't seem to understand the gravity of the moment. No matter what happens they'll tell you, 'our voters aren't going anywhere, the trailer parks are rock-solid. What choice do they have? They have to vote for us.'"

• Thinking 1

11 minutes ago, Norman Paperman said:

Wow -- Tucker Carlson is really going after everyone tonight, including Jared Kushner: "No one has more contempt for Donald Trump's voters than Jared Kushner does and no one expresses it more frequently."

YIKES. The whole quote: "Some key advisors around the president don't seem to understand the gravity of the moment. No matter what happens they'll tell you, 'our voters aren't going anywhere, the trailer parks are rock-solid. What choice do they have? They have to vote for us.'"

Last night, John Oliver:

”Go #### yourself, Tucker, you human boat shoe.”

:lmao:

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Laughing 4

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Norman Paperman said:

Full video here.

"The first requirement of leadership is that you watch over the people in your care."

"People will put up with almost anything if you do that...if you protect your people. If you can't do that, or worse yet seem like you can't be bothered to do that, then you're done."

Edited by Amused to Death
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

After what I'm seeing today, I'm not voting for a Republican for the foreseeable future. Trump wants to turn the military loose on civilians? This all feels like a nightmare, but there's no waking up.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Stuart_Little said:

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1267278651583848448

No patriotic American should brandish or proudly celebrate the iconography of a rebellion that resulted in tremendous devastation, the loss of more than 620,000 American lives, and the continued subjugation of Black America.

(new Lincoln Project ad in link)

C’mon, you know that was just about states rights.

We are still paying for decisions made back then. 

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

1 hour ago, Ranethe said:

C’mon, you know that was just about states rights.

We are still paying for decisions made back then. 

The Republican Party has been openly courting southern racists for decades I just didn't realize it. I guess because I can't hear the whistles. 

Remember 6 or 8 months back when a tape of Reagan and Nixon joking about Africans dancing like monkeys came out? I was just a kid when Reagan took office so I looked into it a little more and was shocked at how brazen the racism was. Reagan gave his first speech as the Republican Presidential nominee to an adoring crowd in Philidelphia, Mississippi. A town of something like 10,000 people that never would have seen a candidate for higher office except it was also the town where the police/Klan murdered 3 civil rights workers and were acquitted (as dramatized by the movie Mississippi Burning).

Reagan specifically mentioned the importance of states rights to roars from the crowd. "States Rights" was Strom Thurmond and the Dixiecrats term for segregation (it was right in their platform and not some kind of coded language), yet Conservatives argue to this day that Reagan's speech had nothing to do with race. Of course Trent Lott would say years later that America would've been much better off if Thurmond had been President and something like 60% of Republicans still belong to "states rights" clubs, but Republicanism has nothing to do with racism. No siree.

I think part of where we're at today is people aren't willing to put up with these thinly veiled endorsements of white supremecy any longer. Well, everyone except Republicans that is.

When I identified as Republican for a few years in the 90s I was probably the only one who actually thought it had anything to do with fiscal policy lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Brony said:

Is America great now? 

It’s transitioning to greatness. 

19 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

It’s transitioning to greatness. 

Which is weird, given the GOP's view on trans.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Kal El said:

After what I'm seeing today, I'm not voting for a Republican for the foreseeable future. Trump wants to turn the military loose on civilians? This all feels like a nightmare, but there's no waking up.

As if you were ever going to vote Republican. :lmao:

Everyone here cried, "Do something, do something....lead".
I told you way early, that his options are limited and I guaranteed you, whatever he did, you wouldn't like it.
As scheduled, he acted and the Left imploded.

Makes makes a great speech and the puts into action, the only other people besides the police, who would die for you, and you freak out.

IF the elected Democrats in these cities would have done their jobs....President Trump wouldn't have had to do a thing.

It is laughable how the Left poised themselves to complain no matter what President Trump did.....He lead....they cried....just as predicted.

You are not fooling anyone except yourselves....but hey....one last gasp before the election...right?

Edited by Opie

5 minutes ago, Opie said:

I told you way early, that his options are limited and I guaranteed you, whatever he did, you wouldn't like it.

Makes makes a great speech and the puts into action, the only other people besides the police, who would die for you, and you freak out.

What he showed was weakness.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

What he showed was weakness.

Weakness?

IF the elected Democrats in these cities would have done their jobs....done ANYTHING...President Trump wouldn't have had to do a thing.

Edited by Opie

6 minutes ago, Opie said:

As if you were ever going to vote Republican. :lmao:

IF the elected Democrats in these cities would have done their jobs....President Trump wouldn't have had to do a thing.

It is laughable how the Left poised themselves to complain no matter what President Trump did.....He lead....they cried....just as predicted.

You are not fooling anyone except yourselves....but hey....one last gasp before the election...right?

I guess that's the definition between you and I.  That was not leadership in my books.  That was weakness and failure and ignorance

1 minute ago, killface said:

I guess that's the definition between you and I.  That was not leadership in my books.  That was weakness and failure and ignorance

and exactly who wrote the words in your "Book of Leadership"?

Just now, Opie said:

and exactly who wrote the words in your "Book of Leadership"?

Does it matter?  You don't care...

• Like 2

Just now, killface said:

Does it matter?  You don't care...

It matters in, that you may be listening to "leaders" who know absolutely nothing about leadership.

You are correct...I don't care....and you don't know.

2 minutes ago, Opie said:

Weakness? IF the elected Democrats in these cities would have done their jobs....done ANYTHING...President Trump wouldn't have had to do a thing.

Yes the display was pathetic. Ramming over his own people because of reaction to a news story about how he was in a bunker is the definition of reactionary and weak. He isn’t leading anyone.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Yes the display was pathetic. Ramming over his own people because of reaction to a news story about how he was in a bunker is the definition of reactionary and weak. He isn’t leading anyone.

It would appear that you are reading a lot into it....forming the narrative to fit your beliefs.

Edited by Opie

1 minute ago, Opie said:

It would appear that you are reading a lot into it....forming the narrative to fit your beliefs.

I’ve read a lot of American and world history, that’s my context.

• Like 3

Just now, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I’ve read a lot of American and world history, that’s my context.

So, where in American or world history does it show President Trump was "ramming over his own people because of reaction to a news story about how he was in a bunker"?

Sounds like you know what he was thinking....
It's either that ....or....you are reading into the narrative to fit your own beliefs.

7 minutes ago, Opie said:

So, where in American or world history does it show President Trump was "ramming over his own people because of reaction to a news story about how he was in a bunker"?

Sounds like you know what he was thinking....
It's either that ....or....you are reading into the narrative to fit your own beliefs.

The absence of anything like this is US history shows it, maybe except for Hoover and the Bonus Army, and that’s a comp I can accept.

6 hours ago, Stuart_Little said:

The Republican Party has been openly courting southern racists for decades I just didn't realize it. I guess because I can't hear the whistles. 

Remember 6 or 8 months back when a tape of Reagan and Nixon joking about Africans dancing like monkeys came out? I was just a kid when Reagan took office so I looked into it a little more and was shocked at how brazen the racism was. Reagan gave his first speech as the Republican Presidential nominee to an adoring crowd in Philidelphia, Mississippi. A town of something like 10,000 people that never would have seen a candidate for higher office except it was also the town where the police/Klan murdered 3 civil rights workers and were acquitted (as dramatized by the movie Mississippi Burning).

Reagan specifically mentioned the importance of states rights to roars from the crowd. "States Rights" was Strom Thurmond and the Dixiecrats term for segregation (it was right in their platform and not some kind of coded language), yet Conservatives argue to this day that Reagan's speech had nothing to do with race. Of course Trent Lott would say years later that America would've been much better off if Thurmond had been President and something like 60% of Republicans still belong to "states rights" clubs, but Republicanism has nothing to do with racism. No siree.

I think part of where we're at today is people aren't willing to put up with these thinly veiled endorsements of white supremecy any longer. Well, everyone except Republicans that is.

When I identified as Republican for a few years in the 90s I was probably the only one who actually thought it had anything to do with fiscal policy lol.

You weren't alone brother.  As a man who grew up in the south, I have watched this my entire life.  I have also watched this bizarre shift that happens 95% of the time down here where the older one gets the less they want to learn/know.  I've had this discussion with my BIL about our parents several times.  It's absolutely baffling to watch the progression in all of them.  Growing up, my parents taught me that race wasn't an issue.  They taught me that sacrificing one's self for the betterment of others was the right thing to do.  They taught me that saving for the future was smart and to never rely on anyone else for my success.  There was a time they were registered Democrats because they wanted a say in who the options were going to be.  In NC during that time whoever won the GOP primary won the state.  Now?  It's like they have no interest in knowing the truth.  They've thrown their hands up and don't seek out the information.  It's like they enjoy being lied to.  And it's happening in almost every single parent of my friends that I talk to about this.  They are all observing the exact same things.  I don't get it.

Sounds like we are around the same age.  I wasn't even a teenager during the years of Reagan...I was 6 years old when he took office and politics was the furthest thing from my mind, but I remember going to the voting booth with my parents every single election.  Fast forward to today and I am left with the realization that the divide has always been there and it's always been that large, to a man.  What's changed is the openness of that divide and the pride that comes with that for some people.  The narrative has completely shifted.  People are way more selfish that I thought.  People are way less nuanced than I thought.  Many around the country are shocked at the racism they are seeing and I am left asking "why?"  Why are you shocked?  It's been painfully obvious to me for years that the racism has never been addressed.  It's simply been swept under the rug.  It hasn't gone anywhere.  There hasn't been a major push to change behavior.  My own mother (born and raised in Michigan) isn't exactly racist per say, but can easily be described as one bigoted against black people.  She was an inner city school teacher who came home crying many days because of the situations many of her black children were growing up in.  That compassion is completely gone and has been replaced with talking points.  It's like I don't even know her anymore.  She's definitely not the same person I grew up knowing and I am really struggling to understand what caused that change or if it is really change at all.  Its really possible she was just a good actor and shielded me from her true views.  I don't know and I don't think I want to find out.  All I can do at this point is be aware of this shift later in life and focus on not falling into the same trap.  I don't want to be that kind of person.

As I dig into the history of our politicians, I am finding very similar things as you.  People dismissed them as joking.  I can't count how many "that's not what he meant" or "that was just the way people talked back then" and I find it off putting as I watch the same excuses made today.  Only now, we have the words and context from the source readily available.  We didn't have that back then.  It's like they are still using the playbook from the 1980s not understanding everyone is now in everyone else's huddle and can hear the real discussion.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

The absence of anything like this is US history shows it, maybe except for Hoover and the Bonus Army, and that’s a comp I can accept.

Yet you claim to know why he did it.....You may have the same gift as @The General.

The elected Democrat leaders in these cities did absolutely nothing while the law abiding citizens were locked in their homes and rioters ran wild.
THAT is the definition of, "anarchy"....
Democrat leaders of these cities stood by and did absolutely nothing....other than to post bail for those arrested.
THAT is the definition of, "weak".

Yet somehow, you (and others) want to turn this around and tell me that President Trump was the weak one because he acted when Democrat leaders had failed.

Unbelievable.

Edited by Opie

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Opie said:

Yet somehow, you want to turn this around and tell me that President Trump was the weak one because he acted when Democrat leaders had failed.

It’s how it is. The day after it was reported that the President was shuttled to a bunker - and everyone could see the White House lights were out, which is unprecedented - he gassed peaceful protestors, threatened military intervention, and cleared a space so he could violate public and private property, wrap himself in religion (which he himself ignores) and tradition (which he also regularly tramples) for the sake of a photo op to get just the reaction he’s getting from you, his base. You’re living proof of it.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SaintsInDome2006 said:

It’s how it is. The day after it was reported that the President was shuttled to a bunker - and everyone could see the White House lights were out, which is unprecedented - he gassed peaceful protestors, threatened military intervention, and cleared a space so he could violate public property, wrap himself in religion (which he himself ignores) and tradition (which he also regularly tramples) for the sake of a photo op to get just the reaction he’s getting from you. You’re living proof of it.

It's funny that you always fail to point out how the Democrat leaders were doing a great job so there was no reason whatsoever, for President Trump to step in.

I told you from the beginning that the President's options were limited and you wouldn't like it when he acted.....you (and others) still insisted that his actions were overdue.

He acted....you cried.....just as predicted.