Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
gussy

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last!

39 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

To you, or you believe they’d say that at a Trump function?

Anybody still with him isn't going to have a problem with this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Apple Jack said:

Anybody still with him isn't going to have a problem with this.

This is our sad reality 

Hopefully, that cost him a few more votes. The only people who would enjoy it are going to vote for him even if he really shoots and stabs someone.

10 hours ago, Slapdash said:

The only surprising thing is that Trump hasn't retweeted it yet.

Well he did retweet the CNN video where he is beating up CNN 

@realDonaldTrump

· May 31, 2017

Kathy Griffin should be ashamed of herself. My children, especially my 11 year old son, Barron, are having a hard time with this. Sick!

8 minutes ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

@realDonaldTrump

· May 31, 2017

Kathy Griffin should be ashamed of herself. My children, especially my 11 year old son, Barron, are having a hard time with this. Sick!

That's a good point. 

Do you folks think this is on par with the Kathy Griffin thing?

1 minute ago, Joe Bryant said:

That's a good point. 

Imo it’s different. I don’t mean better or worse, I mean glorification of the President by a political arm is a disturbing institutional development over and beyond disgusting behavior by a celebrity.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

That's a good point. 

Kathy Griffin was unfunny and horrible. This the same unfunny but even more horrible

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

That's a good point. 

I think it's similar but Kathy Griffin's was worse.  Both are incredibly stupid.

9 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

That's a good point. 

Sure...hers was stupid and more art...but disgusting to do showing that of the president.

An image of the president shooting political rivals and the media...yes...Id say its on par.  If he endorses it...even worse than a C level hack hollywood type doing something like that for attention.

16 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

That's a good point. 

Different sides of the same coin to me. Both reprehensible, since they equate differences of viewpoint as deserving of death by their own side, and frankly these views illustrated in both pieces don't deserve a place in society.

The WH press secretary tweeted this statement, but nothing first hand from the president.

Stephanie Grisham, the White House press secretary, tweeted Monday morning that the president “has not yet seen the video, he will see it shortly, but based upon everything he has heard, he strongly condemns this video.”

• Thanks 1

This video is worse and I don't think they're on the same level.   

The Kathy Griffin thing was condemned by everyone who matters.  Just plain stupid, by has been comedian (never really was?).  Who is not a politian or leader, and doesn't get a whole lot of respect for her political views anyway.

The event where this video was shown, was a real political event and had actual Republican political leaders in attendence.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

That's a good point. 

Both are horrible but I disagree with SID - showing violence towards a single individual is worse, IMO, than toward groups.  But I’m not sure it matters if it’s on par - what matters is everyone should point out how horrible they both are and stop trying to do comparisons.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

That's a good point. 

Both terribly wrong. If one subscribes to there existing minimum standards of conduct as guidelines for discourse and governance, then these are way out of bounds. My biggest macro complaint in the era of Trump is that we are permanently living outside of the margins of what is right. 

6 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Both are horrible but I disagree with SID - showing violence towards a single individual is worse, IMO, than toward groups.  But I’m not sure it matters if it’s on par - what matters is everyone should point out how horrible they both are and stop trying to do comparisons.  

Both terrible. An argument can certainly be made that a video that glorifies killing of an entire group of people is more likely to directly lead to acts of violence towards that group, than targeting an individual. We’ve seen acts of violence increase against groups that Trump vilifies. This normalizes and encourages feelings of violence, which lo and behold, tend to manifest into real world actions. 

To put a finer point on it, we’re more likely to see some journalists killed here or abroad as a direct result of this video, by orders of magnitude, than an act of violence against Trump personally. Depicting violence against either is terrible. 

Edited by Mr. Ham

These are examples of free speech that I hate seeing, but appreciate the rights and freedoms that allow it.  However, just because it may fall under free speech doesn't mean there aren't or shouldn't be ramifications from it.  I believe Kathy Griffin hasn't been employed (nothing major) since her poor choice.  And rightly so, as Americans and businesses have their own free speech to tell her to GTF away.

18 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:
21 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

That's a good point. 

Imo it’s different. I don’t mean better or worse, I mean glorification of the President by a political arm is a disturbing institutional development over and beyond disgusting behavior by a celebrity.

I'll echo this.  Griffin's was disgusting and way over the line.  This video is a whole new level above that; it should absolutely not be tolerated in the slightest bit.

24 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Sure...hers was stupid and more art...but disgusting to do showing that of the president.

An image of the president shooting political rivals and the media...yes...Id say its on par.  If he endorses it...even worse than a C level hack hollywood type doing something like that for attention.

Given the not-so-long-ago Capital Gazette shooting, if this happened I'd say this is worse.

I asked a group of friends this morning about it in a group text. They are all Trump voters. Their "support" of Trump would range from "hold their nose and vote" to "I think he's a jerk but I support many of his policies".

The responses to the video from them so far this morning have been:

"This grieves me"

"What kind of mind would create this?"

"This is destructive"

"The video stabbed me in the stomach"

Now maybe they're telling me what I want to hear as their friend. For lots of the guys, I'm their one liberal friend. (For them, voting for Obama twice and Hillary Clinton defines me as "liberal")

Maybe they're all quietly loving this behind closed doors. But I don't think so. These are my close friends and I've known them for 18+ years. I think this is how they really see it. 

47 minutes ago, Amused to Death said:

The WH press secretary tweeted this statement, but nothing first hand from the president.

Stephanie Grisham, the White House press secretary, tweeted Monday morning that the president “has not yet seen the video, he will see it shortly, but based upon everything he has heard, he strongly condemns this video.”

Cowardly response 

9 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

I asked a group of friends this morning about it in a group text. They are all Trump voters. Their "support" of Trump would range from "hold their nose and vote" to "I think he's a jerk but I support many of his policies".

"This grieves me"

"This is destructive"

Now maybe they're telling me what I want to hear as their friend. For lots of the guys, I'm their one liberal friend. (For them, voting for Obama twice and Hillary Clinton defines me as "liberal")

Maybe they're all quietly loving this behind closed doors. But I don't think so. These are my close friends and I've known them for 18+ years. I think this is how they really see it. 

There's one way to find out.  Your reply "Is this something that would keep you from voting for him again?"

• Like 1

And I say the above as I'm sure like with anything, there will be plenty of people on Twitter with a hot take or extreme view thinking this is cool. 

I don't think that's representative of the majority of Trump voters or many at all. But I'm also fully open to the idea being overly optimistic. 

For what I understand this video is a year old on Youtube.  It is just the first time that Trump has heard about it and now loves it.  

Again if THIS is what turned the corner on you then you are either stupid or living in an incredible bubble that frankly must be nice,   I have never seen a person who after 2 years of this has gone "I just don't know about this guy".  Your decision about him has been made a LONG time ago and will never change

1 minute ago, Bucky86 said:
48 minutes ago, Amused to Death said:

Cowardly response 

Unless the president issues his own statement, it does seem weak. The man tweets about everything else but he, so far, can't issue a personal statement about this?

1 minute ago, The Commish said:

There's one way to find out.  Your reply "Is this something that would keep you from voting for him again?"

Sure. That gets into a whole different level. 

If Trump were to tweet this out and endorse it, that would be a very different thing than what it is now. 

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

For what I understand this video is a year old on Youtube.  It is just the first time that Trump has heard about it and now loves it.  

is this being factually reported somewhere?

1 minute ago, Joe Bryant said:

Sure. That gets into a whole different level. 

If Trump were to tweet this out and endorse it, that would be a very different thing than what it is now. 

What about if he doesn't say anything?  Normally, I'm good with a guy who keeps his mouth shut, but that's not this guy.  When he flaps on and on and then goes silent on something, that should give us pause....it's almost like "opposite day" with this guy.  

• Like 1

Unless: (a) Trump had something to do with it; or (b) shows his approval (or lack of serious disapproval) of it, it shouldn't. Kathy Griffen's nonsense wouldn't keep me from voting for Democrat again. Of course, in this case, (b) is very likely to happen.

1 hour ago, Joe Bryant said:

That's a good point. 

I think this is significantly worse than the Kathy Griffin thing, but it isn't Trump who created or showed it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

Again if THIS is what turned the corner on you then you are either stupid or living in an incredible bubble that frankly must be nice,   I have never seen a person who after 2 years of this has gone "I just don't know about this guy".  Your decision about him has been made a LONG time ago and will never change

Yeah, I don't think too many more minds are gonna be changed in the next 13 months. The remaining Trump supporters have made their internal peace with the type of person he is and will stay dug in to pack the highest courts with judges sympathetic to conservative social causes, and preserve the Senate majority. And of course there remain many who like the type of person he is, especially the open hostility he displays to the commie libs. 

The Dems' job now is to rally all of the 2016 non-voters into a significant enough majority to overcome the built-in EC advantage Donald has. By next November, millions of those non-voters (along with new voters) will have had the opportunity to see four years of his governance ineptitude. No Hilary, no excuse this time.

Just now, Joe Bryant said:

is this being factually reported somewhere?

So apparently this video was shown at a get together at his resort.   I don't think he was there

Also I have a hard time believing that he would be offended by any video that makes him look like a bad ###

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

So apparently this video was shown at a get together at his resort.   I don't think he was there

Also I have a hard time believing that he would be offended by any video that makes him look like a bad ###

It was a PAC that had Donny Jr and SHS set as speakers.

15 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

And I say the above as I'm sure like with anything, there will be plenty of people on Twitter with a hot take or extreme view thinking this is cool. 

I don't think that's representative of the majority of Trump voters or many at all. But I'm also fully open to the idea being overly optimistic. 

Saw a lady who made sure to identify herself as a grandmother of six say "it's a meme, grow up." Followed by, "get a sense of humor."

I'm still not 100% sold that this happened as it's being passed around, but the response should not require waiting on the facts. The response should immediately, and in no uncertain terms, condemn videos like this regardless of who what where.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

"This grieves me"

"This is destructive"

Thanks for sharing, J.  This is similar to what I hear from my trump supporting friends.  I also believe them, and I know they really do favor policy over everything else.  That's where I disagree most with my friends.  I can bend on policy, but I can't on the morals of the person pushing that policy.  

• Thanks 2

No matter how disgusted they might be by Trump's action, in their mind it is still better than dealing with a liberal.   I still believe that a strong number of people who are turned off by Trump will easily vote for him in 2020 but they hate the alternative worse.  They may do it in secret but it still counts

36 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

There is a Twitter hashtag #TrumpVideo and I have yet to see anyone say they think it is cool.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/TrumpVideo?src=tren&data_id=tweet%3A1183740619153465344

However comments are along the lines of "much ado about nothing."

George Carlin would be outraged by all the sad, pathetic individuals who can't take comedy for comedy's sake. Grow the hell up. Not everything is life or death. #TrumpVideo

To be honest that #TrumpVideo is no more violent than video games many of you play and let your kids play. @chadfelixg BTW it doesn’t represent Trump either. He doesn’t condone violence. He does however point out propaganda!

Snoop Dogg has a dead Trump on his album cover: silence.  A pro-Trump group airs a satirical video that has been on the internet for over a year: everybody loses their mind.

Are the lunatic left looking for another reason to manufacture outrage #TrumpVideo

Edited by squistion
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, The Commish said:

But that’s not fair because he didn’t make the video. There are plenty of other very good reasons to ask that same question but this isn’t one of them IMO. 

He didn't make the video but you know that there are people working for him that is desperately trying to get him to not like or retweet it.  He might not like it now but you know in a moment mostly around 5 in the morning when his ego needs stroking he is going to see this video and like or retweet it.   Then the #### REALLY hits the fan

Actually stunned Don Jr hasn't retweeted since apparently he was in the damn meeting 

If anything is going to get him in trouble it is the shooting of the Black Lives Matter thing.  I mean no way to hide the feelings on that one

Edited by hammerva

4 minutes ago, timschochet said:

But that’s not fair because he didn’t make the video. There are plenty of other very good reasons to ask that same question but this isn’t one of them IMO. 

As I said above...if he remain silent, it seems like a perfectly legit question.  He can't keep his mouth shut about anything.

As I said above...if he remain silent, it seems like a perfectly legit question.  He can't keep his mouth shut about anything.

Disagree- he has shown a great reluctance to criticize anyone who is on “his side.” 

46 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

Saw a lady who made sure to identify herself as a grandmother of six say "it's a meme, grow up." Followed by, "get a sense of humor."

Yes. I've no doubt there will be some of this. It's just my strong opinion that people like her are not representative of the bigger group. 

• Like 1

I am waiting for Colin Firth or the makers of Kingsmen to  comment.

But not sure what they would say

21 minutes ago, hammerva said:

He didn't make the video but you know that there are people working for him that is desperately trying to get him to not like or retweet it.  He might not like it now but you know in a moment mostly around 5 in the morning when his ego needs stroking he is going to see this video and like or retweet it.   Then the #### REALLY hits the fan

Actually stunned Don Jr hasn't retweeted since apparently he was in the damn meeting 

If anything is going to get him in trouble it is the shooting of the Black Lives Matter thing.  I mean no way to hide the feelings on that one

It's reprehensible on most every level. It's one thing to bash MSNBC. But the stuff with John McCain or Obama was reprehensible and without excuse. 

In my opinion, to like that is on the same level of liking Kathy Griffin's picture she posted. 

Just now, Joe Bryant said:

Yes. I've no doubt there will be some of this. It's just my strong opinion that people like her are not representative of the bigger group. 

He’s not responsible for this video. He didn’t make or endorse it. 

But there is a whole lot of terrible, terrible crap, that he IS responsible for and it seems to increase every day. At a certain point (I think that point is now) your Trump friends ARE going to have to answer why they still support this guy, and how they can do so and maintain dignity and honor without lying to themselves. 

And please, I'd love us to be careful about posting "It is just the first time that Trump has heard about it and now loves it." as if that were being reported somewhere as fact. 

47 minutes ago, beef said:

Thanks for sharing, J.  This is similar to what I hear from my trump supporting friends.  I also believe them, and I know they really do favor policy over everything else.  That's where I disagree most with my friends.  I can bend on policy, but I can't on the morals of the person pushing that policy.  

I agree @beef  I think where these people are wrestling internally is with the understanding that even if it's a "hold your nose and vote" you're still voting. And voting means endorsing at least on some level. I'm guessing few voters agree with a candidate 100%. But on balance, you weigh it out and make your choice. 

And that's where I come back choices for the Democrats. I know it's not popular here, and I know it's thought unwise to consider the "middle" or the voters not locked into a candidate, but for a guy who's voted Republican and is looking to hold his nose and vote for Trump again because of the "alternative", a more attractive alternative is key.

It's why I think a guy like Biden would be effective. The move from Trump to Biden is way shorter than the move from Trump to Sanders. That kind of thing. I understand the arguments against a moderate Democrat. I'm just letting you know what I see as an argument for a more moderate Democrat. 

1 hour ago, Joe Bryant said:

"This grieves me"

"This is destructive"

Here's the thing Joe - you are a good, honest, decent person and knowing what we know of you there is no doubt that most of your friends and acquaintances are the same.  You most likely wouldn't be friends with people who like this video and to be fair, I doubt there's a large percent who do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Apple Jack said:

Ah the get out of jail free card. 

• Like 1