What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last! (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this tweet from last week pretty nicely sums up this country right now:

Ryan Avent @ryanavent

It sounds absurd to say it, but America is in the process of choosing whether to be a white nationalist fascist state or an inclusive democracy. That's not hyperbole, that's just where we are.

11:15 AM · Aug 28, 2020

The President of the United States

vanessa gezari‏ @vanessagezari

Lesley Stahl asked Trump in semi-private meeting why he’s always attacking the press. His answer: “I want to demean you and discredit you so that when you do negative stories about me, no one will believe you.” @deadlineclub #deadlineawards
Just a reminder on this.

Just a reminder on this.
Exactly...and it worked.  

He started it from the beginning...nobody can fix it but me...nobody can be believed but me.

Add in media having its usual screwups and people just think nope...they lie...can't trust them.  I will instead believe the guy who lies more often than anyone.

See the thread about his words towards soldiers for proof of that.

August 2020: Lou Holtz states at Republican Convention that Joe Biden is not a true Catholic.

September 2020: Donald Trump announces that Lou Holtz will be receiving the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Back in June, Republican Steve Schmidt, who ran John McCain's 2008 campaign for president, was interviewed on MSNBC.
In response to a very general question regarding the Trump Presidency, Mr. Schmidt spoke for two solid minutes and gave the most insightful and brutally honest response of what the Trump Presidency has done to our great country.

“Donald Trump has been the worst president this country has ever had. And, I don't say that hyperbolically. He is. But he is a consequential president. And, he has brought this country in three short years to a place of weakness that is simply unimaginable if you were pondering where we are today from the day where Barack Obama left office. And, there were a lot of us on that day who were deeply skeptical and very worried about what a Trump presidency would be. But this is a moment of unparalleled national humiliation, of weakness.”
"When you listen to the President, these are the musings of an imbecile. An idiot. And I don't use those words to name call. I use them because they are the precise words of the English language to describe his behavior. His comportment. His actions. We've never seen a level of incompetence, a level of ineptitude so staggering on a daily basis by anybody in the history of the country whose ever been charged with substantial responsibilities.”
"It's just astonishing that this man is president of the United States. The man, the con man, from New York City. Many bankruptcies, failed businesses, a reality show, that branded him as something that he never was. A successful businessman. Well, he's the President of the United States now, and the man who said he would make the country great again. And he's brought death, suffering, and economic collapse on truly an epic scale."
"And, let's be clear. This isn't happening in every country around the world. This place. Our place. Our home. Our country. The United States. We are the epicenter. We are the place where you're the most likely to die from this disease. We're the ones with the most shattered economy. And we are, because of the fool that sits in the Oval Office."
Powerful words

Back in June, Republican Steve Schmidt, who ran John McCain's 2008 campaign for president, was interviewed on MSNBC.
In response to a very general question regarding the Trump Presidency, Mr. Schmidt spoke for two solid minutes and gave the most insightful and brutally honest response of what the Trump Presidency has done to our great country.

“Donald Trump has been the worst president this country has ever had. And, I don't say that hyperbolically. He is. But he is a consequential president. And, he has brought this country in three short years to a place of weakness that is simply unimaginable if you were pondering where we are today from the day where Barack Obama left office. And, there were a lot of us on that day who were deeply skeptical and very worried about what a Trump presidency would be. But this is a moment of unparalleled national humiliation, of weakness.”
"When you listen to the President, these are the musings of an imbecile. An idiot. And I don't use those words to name call. I use them because they are the precise words of the English language to describe his behavior. His comportment. His actions. We've never seen a level of incompetence, a level of ineptitude so staggering on a daily basis by anybody in the history of the country whose ever been charged with substantial responsibilities.”
"It's just astonishing that this man is president of the United States. The man, the con man, from New York City. Many bankruptcies, failed businesses, a reality show, that branded him as something that he never was. A successful businessman. Well, he's the President of the United States now, and the man who said he would make the country great again. And he's brought death, suffering, and economic collapse on truly an epic scale."
"And, let's be clear. This isn't happening in every country around the world. This place. Our place. Our home. Our country. The United States. We are the epicenter. We are the place where you're the most likely to die from this disease. We're the ones with the most shattered economy. And we are, because of the fool that sits in the Oval Office."
Sounds like someone who is upset that his priviledged place in the world got disrupted.

Our economy is far from "shattered" and the US is not the "place where your most likely to die from the disease". Those are the only claims in the interview that aren't purely subjective opinion and they are false.

But other than that this is spot on.

You guys want to see Trump reelected for 4 years, keep parading these easily refuted hit pieces out there.  I don't want to see him reelected, but this kind of stuff is pure fuel to the fire that got him elected in the first place.

Jayrod said:
You guys want to see Trump reelected for 4 years, keep parading these easily refuted hit pieces out there.  I don't want to see him reelected, but this kind of stuff is pure fuel to the fire that got him elected in the first place.
I'm not going to disagree with you, but I'm just going to say that your point illustrates a common theme that has been prevalent during the Trump era, which is that Trump's critics are expected to behave perfectly at all times, lest they drive people to vote for Trump. The harder they try to be perfect, the more their judgments are magnified, scrutinized, and questioned.

In a way, it's a parallel to @Riversco's "give them what they want or else they will start a war" philosophy. 

It also reminds me of an ex-girlfriend I once had.

I'm not going to disagree with you, but I'm just going to say that your point illustrates a common theme that has been prevalent during the Trump era, which is that Trump's critics are expected to behave perfectly at all times, lest they drive people to vote for Trump. The harder they try to be perfect, the more their judgments are magnified, scrutinized, and questioned.

In a way, it's a parallel to @Riversco's "give them what they want or else they will start a war" philosophy. 

It also reminds me of an ex-girlfriend I once had.
Reminds of what it must be like for the police nowadays.

Worldometers has us at #10 in deaths per capita (8th if you remove micronations) behind Italy, Spain & UK along with Brazil, Peru and a couple of others.
Canada, Switzerland and Portugal better than the USA. 

And Germany at #56 with a death rate 5 times lower. Germany is a good comp because their drop in 2 quarter GDP was not as bad as ours. I wonder how 3rd Q GDP will compare.  

Israel, Finland, Norway, Denmark and Uruguay even lower. I believe they all have UHC. 

I agree with all of this, but also the bolded part poses a challenge for moderation of this forum.  I agree with the no-name-calling rule, but it's hard to talk about Trump without getting into the issue of his mental fitness for office.
I've literally been suspended 3 times for calling Trump exactly what he is.   

>> This Joe Biden, visiting his son’s grave. This is Francis Brennan, Another      human who works for Donald Trump. <<

https://mobile.twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1302799486775951360
I saw that earlier today. It's another example of Fake News from the Trump campaign -- taking an innocent moment at his son's grave and trying to frame it into the whole "Biden is unfit" narrative.

BTW, it should be pointed out that 1) Francis Brennan is Trump's "Director Of Strategic Response," and 2) the derogatory quote above was not made by @SoBeDad, but was made by the editor of TalkingPointsMemo.com.

Enough with the campaign conferences that he calls Coronavirus updates so he can campaign on the taxpayer. His divisive rhetoric isn’t what the country needs now. He’s apparently concluded making it worse helps him politically with his base, but his “country on the right track numbers” are polling at an all time low. His supporters can fervently believe he’s doing a good job to the greatest degree, but one person is still just one vote.

Which is why he is encouraging his supporters to vote twice. How long until there are underground posts on Parler explaining exactly how to vote twice, if there aren’t already.

Add in the USPS and other voter suppression tactics like purging the rolls in GA which cost Abrams the governorship and know that this is all happening in our America right now. With Donald Trump as president.

Please make sure your vote counts, and please participate by voting once. These issues really shouldn’t even need to be addressed or brought up in America.

Enough with the campaign conferences that he calls Coronavirus updates so he can campaign on the taxpayer. His divisive rhetoric isn’t what the country needs now. He’s apparently concluded making it worse helps him politically with his base, but his “country on the right track numbers” are polling at an all time low. His supporters can fervently believe he’s doing a good job to the greatest degree, but one person is still just one vote.

Which is why he is encouraging his supporters to vote twice. How long until there are underground posts on Parler explaining exactly how to vote twice, if there aren’t already.

Add in the USPS and other voter suppression tactics like purging the rolls in GA which cost Abrams the governorship and know that this is all happening in our America right now. With Donald Trump as president.

Please make sure your vote counts, and please participate by voting once. These issues really shouldn’t even need to be addressed or brought up in America.
I have to wonder if the play is to have a bunch of people vote twice, throwing into question the validity of the vote itself, thus allowing Trump to declare himself President again (either through the House) or simply by decree. 

Just an observation about Trump supporter posting activity or lack thereof, and maybe also the attitude of Trumpworld generally right now. I really though starting earlier this summer we would see an explosion of anon/new handles and maybe returns of some older ones, but in fact the opposite has happened. I know there is the moderation issue and supposed behavior of anti-Trump folks, but I think the coronavirus failures are just impossible to deal with. In the Russia investigation prosecution after prosecution built up, judge after judge, ruling after ruling, built up, but there was always "Deep State," and then Nunes and Huber and Horowitz and Durham, and that pattern has followed in all the controversies 9aand they've been weekly). But what is the answer here? Just saw Trump pontificating on yet another live appearance talking about it going away and it's sheer nuttery. We're headed towards 200K deaths, then surely 400K during the next year and then on and on on unless there's a vaccine. What else can be said about this absolute demonstration of abject failure. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Barr would never have been confirmed in any previous administration. As soon as the GOP realized they somehow were handed the executive branch they dropped all pretenses and threw democracy to the wind. Rule of law be damned.

Barr would never have been confirmed in any previous administration. As soon as the GOP realized they somehow were handed the executive branch they dropped all pretenses and threw democracy to the wind. Rule of law be damned.
in before "democrats do it too" or "whatabout _______"

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
You would think nothing could top the Woodward tapes, but it won't be for lack of effort today:

Breaking —> Senior Department of Homeland Security official alleges in whistleblower complaint that he was told to stop providing intelligence analysis on threat of Russian interference,

@shaneharris  + @NickMiroff  report

You would think nothing could top the Woodward tapes, but it won't be for lack of effort today:

Breaking —> Senior Department of Homeland Security official alleges in whistleblower complaint that he was told to stop providing intelligence analysis on threat of Russian interference,

Anonymous source, probably. Never happened.

• Laughing
Reactions: JAA
Trump just tweeted he’s going to read a list of potential Supreme Court nominees in a little less than an hour.  :lmao:

“We need a distraction, STAT!!!”

For any other president, this would be the second career-destroying revelation to come out in a matter of hours.  For Trump, it's just Wednesday.

Last edited by a moderator:
For any other president, this would be the second career-destroying revelation to come out in a matter of hours.  For Trump, it's just Wednesday.
How many career destroying revelations have there been since inauguration day? I stopped counting after March of 2018. I think he was at 26 then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread