Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
gussy

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last!

20 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

People also seem to be confusing dishonesty with the type of lying that's going on here.  "There are WMDs in Iraq" was a lie, but the people who spread it honestly believed it and tried to support it with evidence that turned out to be false." "If you like your plan you can keep it" turned out to be a lie, but at the time it was said the speaker intended and hoped for it to be true. 

Fuethermore, when politicians have made these statements and others they have also fielded questions about them and, when appropriate, have owned up to their mistakes.

What Trump did during the campaign and what he and Spicer did yesterday is to my recollection unprecedented in this country.  They lied to the American people in ways so blatant that they must have known they were lying, about things that are easily disproven, and have refused all inquiries asking them to explain their lies or holding them accountable for them. 

It's not hyperbole to compare their actions to North Korea just because our country is freer and more prosperous than North Korea.  This is page one of the authoritarian playbook.  It boggles my mind that ANYONE is ok with this.

"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears.  It was their final, most essential command." 

It is easy to confuse.  When you call everyone a liar or racist just because you disagree with them, when a real liar and racist comes along, the words have lost their meaning and impact.  

And it will stop being a hyperbole when Trump starts killing reporters.  Until then, it is a silly comparison. 

Edited by jon_mx

2 hours ago, jon_mx said:

But yet Hillary is famous for branding news sources that shed light on her scandals as the vast-right wing conspiracy and the left ate it up.   We have become a society which rewards attacks and negativity and the agenda is more important than the truth.  Trump may be the epitome, but is nothing new.  

But Hillary...But Hillary...But Hillary...But Hillary...But Hillary...But Hillary...But Hillary...But Hillary...But Hillary...But Hillary...But Hillary...But Hillary...But Hillary...

How much longer is this good for?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Otis said:

Hardest hitting issue for Wednesday: Hand size measurements confirmed.  "After consulting his doctor I can confirm for you that the President has the biggest hands of anyone in the United States.  The press has, of course, been lying to you again.  Sorry, no questions."

https://twitter.com/Fobwashed/status/822961129735340032

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

As opposed to the guy who won on Bush sucks we need some hope and change?  

Uh, we were in the midst of the 2nd worst financial crisis in our country's history.  We had been mired in Iraq losing thousands of lives and trillions of dollars.  A little hope and change was far more appropriate vs what the Donald inherited. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, John Bender said:

Kelly Ann Conway for 4 years is going to be unbearable as well.

"Why did Trump lie about the inauguration turnout?"

"That's not important, what's important is how many people voted for President Trump and he is going to replace Obamacare and do this and do that..."

:wall:

Kelly Ann "Sean Spicer offered alternative facts"

That should be really disturbing. On the first weekend. This weekend should be the equivalent of the layup drill before a basketbs game. 

What disturbs me is how these disfunctionsl people react to coming crisis. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moleculo said:

But Hillary...But Hillary...But Hillary...But Hillary...But Hillary...But Hillary...But Hillary...But Hillary...But Hillary...But Hillary...But Hillary...But Hillary...But Hillary...

It is good until the left stops being such hypocrites.  If you cared about honesty and integrity, you should have nominated Bernie.  But you only cared about winning, so stop whining.  

1 minute ago, James Daulton said:

Uh, we were in the midst of the 2nd worst financial crisis in our country's history.  We had been mired in Iraq losing thousands of lives and trillions of dollars.  A little hope and change was far more appropriate vs what the Donald inherited. 

Did you listen to his inauguration speech? Everything he is inheriting is horribly bad. 

4 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

It is easy to confuse.  When you call everyone a liar or racist just because you disagree with them, when a real liar and racist comes along, the words have lost their meaning and impact.  

And it will stop being a hyperbole when Trump starts killing reporters.  Until then, it is a silly comparison. 

Wait.....WHAT? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, James Daulton said:

And what did Obama do.  For the most part continued Bush's policies.  The slight difference was in the way the stimulus would have been structured.  But really, no huge changes.  

Just now, NREC34 said:

Did you listen to his inauguration speech? Everything he is inheriting is horribly bad. 

I really think the country's favorable trajectory is going to bite him in the end.  We are ripe for a decent sized economic correction and a little bit of high inflation may be just what's needed to push us over the edge. 

Just now, jon_mx said:

And what did Obama do.  For the most part continued Bush's policies.  The slight difference was in the way the stimulus would have been structured.  But really, no huge changes.  

:pretends congress didn't roadblock everything he proposed:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jackstraw said:

Wait.....WHAT? 

Exactly.  You still don't get it and will continue being your obnoxious self. 

Just now, jon_mx said:

I was only responding that Obama's message was appropriate for the time.  And you have to admit that Obama was hampered by an uncooperative (to say the least) congress.  Plus apparently Obama's not real good at reaching across the isle. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, moleculo said:

I blasted the Spicer press conference on Twitter last night and immediately got two "like Benghazi?" responses.

• Like 2

Just now, Jackstraw said:

:pretends congress didn't roadblock everything he proposed:

And how will that be different from Trump.  In two years congress will flip and Trump will not able to do much.   So chill.  

30 minutes ago, Sweet J said:

But isn't the problem that not even close to 50% of the country voted for him?  In fact, he got less than 50% of the people who voted, which is in fact a small subset of the voting population.  He won by getting 70K more votes than his opponent in the states.

Yeah I shouldn't have said "almost 50% of our country", that's not true, it was almost 50% of voters as you say...which seems to make the point even more frightening since it's probably fair to assume the population of voters, in aggregate, is more educated or at the very least more motivated than non voters.

I assume you're referencing the criticisms of the electoral college and discussions of removing it. I personally don't see that problem but perhaps I don't understand enough of the underlying philosophy. I would not want to touch the EC if, as I understand it, acts as a buffer against unrestrained populism (though obviously we have experienced the opposite effect this election).

That he was elected by this small subset was I think a confluence of a number of other factors-including flawed mechanics of campaigning by HRC (given the EC demands). 

4 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

It is good until the left stops being such hypocrites.  If you cared about honesty and integrity, you should have nominated Bernie.  But you only cared about winning, so stop whining.  

That's not my point.  My point is at some time you are going to have to pivot from "but Hillary..."  the Left eventually stopped with "I blame Bush", although I suppose that wasn't well into Obama's 2nd term.  On the other hand, Bush actually was the man in power so he really did have impact on policy.  Hillary, on the other hand, has been out of office and nothing but a candidate for the past 4 years, so I'm hopeful the "but Hillary" meme has a much shorter shelf life.

Basically, blaming a sitting president to an opposing candidate or past president is pretty stupid on both sides and I'm hoepful we can get past it sooner rather than later.  Let Trump sink or swim on his own merits - no need to invoke the 2016 election.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, James Daulton said:

I really think the country's favorable trajectory is going to bite him in the end.  We are ripe for a decent sized economic correction and a little bit of high inflation may be just what's needed to push us over the edge. 

If the next jobs report comes back good that's going to be a good thing again and totally accurate right?

8 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

HILLARY DEMS HILLARY INTEGRITY EMAILZ!!  

13 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Someone sounds like he is whining

• Like 1

KAC and Spicer aren't the only people in the country willing to say whatever Trump wants them to.  Many of them actually believe it.  You'll be a lot happier if you fight Trump and Trumpism, and ignore those people.

Once someone says 31MM viewers is more than 38MM viewers or 517k Metro trips is more than 782k Metro trips, or that a picture doesn't show what it plainly shows, what on earth would you engage them for?  You just legitimize the argument when you engage.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

KAC and Spicer aren't the only people in the country willing to say whatever Trump wants them to.  Many of them actually believe it.  You'll be a lot happier if you fight Trump and Trumpism, and ignore those people.

Once someone says 31MM viewers is more than 38MM viewers or 517k Metro trips is more than 782k Metro trips, or that a picture doesn't show what it plainly shows, what on earth would you engage them for?  You just legitimize the argument when you engage.

:goodposting:

There is literally no point in trying to engage seriously with them. None. They just parrot whatever made up BS the great pumpkin says. It's far more entertaining to just point and laugh, and realize that this was just the last gasp of old uneducated rural white trash. Next cycle millennials and Gen-xers will outnumber the boomers by so much that it just won't matter.

And of course hope that Trump doesn't start WWIII over a foreign national making fun of him on Twitter.

Edited by Coeur de Lion
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Coeur de Lion said:

There is literally no point in trying to engage seriously with them. None. They just parrot whatever made up BS the great pumpkin says. It's far more entertaining to just point and laugh, and realize that this was just the last gasp of old uneducated rural white trash. Next cycle millennials and Gen-xers will outnumber the boomers by so much that it just won't matter.

And of course hope that Trump doesn't start WWIII over a foreign national making fun of him on Twitter.

You are so oblivious to the fact people like you are the ones people are pointing and laughing at. Wow. Enjoy your bunker, hope it gets MSNBC.  :lmao:

11 minutes ago, moleculo said:

That's not my point.  My point is at some time you are going to have to pivot from "but Hillary..."  the Left eventually stopped with "I blame Bush", although I suppose that wasn't well into Obama's 2nd term.  On the other hand, Bush actually was the man in power so he really did have impact on policy.  Hillary, on the other hand, has been out of office and nothing but a candidate for the past 4 years, so I'm hopeful the "but Hillary" meme has a much shorter shelf life.

Basically, blaming a sitting president to an opposing candidate or past president is pretty stupid on both sides and I'm hoepful we can get past it sooner rather than later.  Let Trump sink or swim on his own merits - no need to invoke the 2016 election.

I am not using Hillary to blame anything on.  I am using Hillary to illustrate hypocrisy and to suggest perhaps the left would be more effective to tone down the rhetoric and focus on issues that matter.   All that comes across in these threads is a bunch of sore losers who want to dehumanize people who voted for Trump.  Trump is a clown who shows insecurity and ego about the crowd size.  But it is dumb to seriously suggest it is North Korean-like and that Trump supporters would randomly kill people if Trump suggested it.  Dial back the rhetoric and do a little self-evaluation of the clown you put out there.  

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, shader said:

Hard to disagree with any of this.  I have no idea what Trump was thinking there.  Such a dumb and pointless time to lie too.  

He's been doing it the entire campaign.  This is who he is.

What he's thinking is that he wanted to massage his own ego, continue to turn his supporters against the media, and distort reality among those who are undecided about him to the point that he'll be able to get with bigger and more significant lies in the future.

Like I've been saying, it's page one of the authoritarian playbook.  That quote in my previous post is from 1984. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

I am not using Hillary to blame anything on.  I am using Hillary to illustrate hypocrisy and to suggest perhaps the left would be more effective to tone down the rhetoric and focus on issues that matter.   All that comes across in these threads is a bunch of sore losers who want to dehumanize people who voted for Trump.  Trump is a clown who shows insecurity and ego about the crowd size.  But it is dumb to seriously suggest it is North Korean-like and that Trump supporters would randomly kill people if Trump suggested it.  Dial back the rhetoric and do a little self-evaluation of the clown you put out there.  

I would argue that you are the one full of rhetoric...

7 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

You are so oblivious to the fact people like you are the ones people are pointing and laughing at. Wow. Enjoy your bunker, hope it gets MSNBC.  :lmao:

Yeah, OK. You're right, the majority of the country and the world blindly supports Trump just like you do.

Probably about time to go slop the hogs, Elmer. But at least you can feel less ashamed about using the "n" word now, amirite?

Edited by Coeur de Lion
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Everyone knows 24 is the highest number.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Coeur de Lion said:

You lost.  Get over it.  Do you plan on being bitter the entirety of the next 4-8 years?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Coeur de Lion said:

Yeah, OK. You're right, the majority of the country and the world blindly supports Trump just like you do.

Probably about time to go slop the hogs, Elmer. But at least you can feel less ashamed about using the "n" word now, amirite?

The liberal elitist attitude and the race card all in one comment surprised your brain could handle it? The lame insults and ignorance just show what a pathetic following the Dems have now which is why blue states went red for the first time in decades. Keep it up, us small business owners appreciate your former voters!:thumbup:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Wait...I thought he was a muslim sympathizer far left communist?

• Like 1

Some excellent posts in this thread.especially by John Bender and Tobias. 

Back during the campaign when I and a few others were trying to convince some people around here that they should vote for Hillary even if they disliked her, I stated that my biggest fear about Trump was that he would try to be a dictator. I was laughed at, ridiculed, (particularly by The Commish as I recall) and asked to explain exactly how that would happen. I wasn't able to explain very well. In a few short sentences Bender has been far more eloquent than I ever was in expressing this concern. 

That being said, yesterdays events gave me great hope about what is to come. 

26 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

The president lying and sending his press secretary out to lie and throw a fit to blame the media and walk out is an issue that matters.

• Like 1

some dude on CNN stole my shtick and said Johnny LunchBucket.......maybe Tapper?  They are reading this!!!!!!!  Also, Sean Spicer says today is Saturday.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jonessed said:

You lost.  Get over it.  Do you plan on being bitter the entirety of the next 4-8 years?

To quote former President Obama , "bitter clingers"

37 minutes ago, Coeur de Lion said:

These are people who thought it wise to pull a lever for Donald Drumpf; adjust expectations accordingly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zoonation said:

The age of full flown blown American propaganda is upon us.

Scary times.   

Where have you been for the past 16 years 

• Like 1

Just now, HellToupee said:

Where have you been for the past 16 years 

In this actual reality...not the alternate one some of you live in.

2 minutes ago, Chemical X said:

some dude on CNN stole my shtick and said Johnny LunchBucket.......maybe Tapper?  They are reading this!!!!!!!  Also, Sean Spicer says today is Saturday.  

WHY OTHER OPINIONS BOTHER U SO MUCH LIBERTURD

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

The liberal elitist attitude and the race card all in one comment surprised your brain could handle it? The lame insults and ignorance just show what a pathetic following the Dems have now which is why blue states went red for the first time in decades. Keep it up, us small business owners appreciate your former voters!:thumbup:

Yeah, they're going to be thrilled when they realize that their job at the widget factory still isn't coming back, and they lose their health coverage. Dumb people need to learn things the hard way all the time -- it would be nice if you could do so in a way that doesn't screw things up for the rest of us, though.

On the bright side, you'll be able to watch 'Muricans kicking some Middle Eastern a$$ again on Faux News at night as your enjoying your Schlitz in your double wide at night. So there's that.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Exactly.  You still don't get it and will continue being your obnoxious self. 

You just said we don't have the right to call the president a liar and a racist until he kills reporters. That is a really incredibly outrageous statement.