What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last! (14 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing I said comes remotely close to the fantasy based realm you live.
:lol:   yeah, if the housing bubble had popped a few months later the 'results' you hyped so much would have been the exact opposite of.  Timing was everything.  That is the reality. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, I'd need to see the details. Let's say Trump didn't own the building that FLOTUS lived in. The government would have to pay for space to house the security detail right?  So unless Trump is charging in excess of the going rate, his ownership of the building is irrelevant to the cost borne by the government. 
Regardless if Trump is charging reasonable rates or not, you don't see an issue with checks being written to Trump for all the costs to house the security covering his family?  This conflict seems fairly straight forward to me.  He and his family could make decisions based on this, stay in NYC and get paid, move to DC and not get paid, that kind of thing.  Just looks bad. 

What an idiot Dobbs is. I'd like to see him, or you, provide evidence of these "billions" that we are paying. Let's see your work on this.
At the end of Fiscal year 2016, the US took in 84,995 refugees for the year.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/01/30/key-facts-about-refugees-to-the-u-s/

Each refugee from the Middle East over the course of 5 years costs 64,000.

http://cis.org/High-Cost-of-Resettling-Middle-Eastern-Refugees

All that being said, I don't think it should be surprising that it costs so much.  

Regardless if Trump is charging reasonable rates or not, you don't see an issue with checks being written to Trump for all the costs to house the security covering his family?  This conflict seems fairly straight forward to me.  He and his family could make decisions based on this, stay in NYC and get paid, move to DC and not get paid, that kind of thing.  Just looks bad. 
I don't believe Trump has an issue with keeping his hotels rented out, so it is not an issue of getting paid or not getting paid kind of thing.  The law requires the secret service to pay such fees, just like they paid to Biden.  Granted it is on a much larger scale for Trump, but in principle if it is the market rate which the secret service would have to pay in that area, it should not be a big concern. 

Trump trumps all previous levels of political nuttiness, and it's not even close.
The context was the :hophead:  that are defending a "side" in politics, not the politicians themselves.  To your comment I disagree.  He's unabashed, uncensored and not wrapped in any sort of political presentation.  It's what makes him different from everyone else.  He's blunt to a fault, the exact opposite of "political".  His views aren't really all that unique but his unwillingness to apologize or push for those views in a subtle way make for a completely over the top presentation compared to politicians who are willing to play coy.  

At least that's my perception of him.  Doesn't make him any more right/wrong and it's not a defense of him...just my :2cents:  

I agree it looks bad. I just don't know if it is bad. 

The last eight years I watched a lot of the same people mock Tea Partiers.  So now the shoe is on the other foot, these holier than thou people are acting far more hysterically than Tea Partiers ever behaved and on a far more massive level.  Every little thing sets them off.  It is bizarre, imho.  
You save your anger for petty partisan bickering even though trumps actions (which you supposedly disagree with) have far greater impact. 

Nice job.

I don't believe Trump has an issue with keeping his hotels rented out, so it is not an issue of getting paid or not getting paid kind of thing.  The law requires the secret service to pay such fees, just like they paid to Biden.  Granted it is on a much larger scale for Trump, but in principle if it is the market rate which the secret service would have to pay in that area, it should not be a big concern. 
Unless you have stats, you're just speculating about the rented % of Trump's hotel and we don't know about the market rate and this is only a question because it's Trump's property.  The whole thing feels kind of shady to me.   If she moves to the WH after the kid's school year I won't have near as much an issue with it.  If she chooses to stay there then everyone should have an issue with it.  For multiple reasons.

Until now, the enforcement of summary deportation laws, known as “expedited removal,” have been limited to those apprehended within 14 days of illegally entering the country and within 100 miles of Canada or Mexico. The memos signed by Kelly would allow use of those laws anywhere in the country against anyone who entered illegally within the past two years.

Lucas Guttentag, a DHS adviser and Stanford law professor, said this would “unleash chaos,” violate due process, and meet challenges in court, similar to those that scuttled the administration’s travel ban.

There would also be aggressive challenges, lawyers said, to plans that would allow immigration agents to deport unaccompanied minor children who crossed the border illegally, rather than uniting them with parents or other relatives in the U.S. They also expect legal opposition to a proposal that would strip undocumented immigrants of existing privacy protections, allowing personal information such as asylum cases or immigration violations to be publicly disclosed
https://www.propublica.org/article/trump-plan-deport-anyone-crossing-mexican-border-regardless-of-nationality

Team Trump Rewrites a Department of Energy Website for Kids

During the Obama administration, Energy Kids even won multiple international awards for its content and design, as well as one from a digital publishing company that hailed it as “the best of the best in open and engaging government.”

The Trump administration, it seems, wasn’t altogether impressed with the site or its awards. In recent weeks, language on the website describing the environmental impacts of energy sources has been reworked, and two pie charts concerning the link between coal and greenhouse gas emissions have been removed altogether.

On a page dedicated to coal, the following sentences were deleted: “In the United States, most of the coal consumed is used as a fuel to generate electricity. Burning coal produces emissions that adversely affect the environment and human health.”

The two pie charts that were axed showed that although coal generated only 42 percent of total U.S. electricity in 2014, it created 76 percent of total carbon dioxide emissions linked to electricity generation.
Another change involved shrinking a paragraph into footnote-sized font. The minimized text includes a description of methane as “a strong greenhouse gas” that results from coal mining. In the same paragraph, the sentence “Learn more about greenhouse gas emissions” — along with a link to the EIA’s page on “Where Greenhouse Gases Come From” — was deleted.

Unless you have stats, you're just speculating about the rented % of Trump's hotel and we don't know about the market rate and this is only a question because it's Trump's property.  The whole thing feels kind of shady to me.   If she moves to the WH after the kid's school year I won't have near as much an issue with it.  If she chooses to stay there then everyone should have an issue with it.  For multiple reasons.
If only he had provided information that would show how/where he generates income.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/trump-hotels-getting-beat-trump-campaign-n670266

I don't know what they're like now, but a few months ago they were certainly having some difficulty.  

Regardless, I think we're talking about Trump Tower, rather than his hotels, right?

http://ny.curbed.com/2016/11/22/13718626/trump-tower-tenants-moving-out

almost 15 percent of the units within the 58-story high-rise are listed either for sale or rent and prices have been on a steady decline, though it’s virtually impossible to know if that is a result of his recent election without speaking to the vacating tenants.

He has successfully been in business for a long time and it is in a high rent area where rooms are usually occupied. 
Circumstances have changed A LOT in the past 18 months.  Do you have any information on how the hotels are doing right now?

And just so I'm not hiding the ball here, my suspicion is that they probably aren't doing as well as they once were.  That suspicion is based on: 1) news reports before the election indicating that the new Trump Hotel in D.C. was offering rooms substantially below their list price; 2) the news reports that other Trump-branded items have been suffering from poor sales (e.g., Trump Home Goods, Ivanka's clothes/shoes).

Circumstances have changed A LOT in the past 18 months.  Do you have any information on how the hotels are doing right now?

And just so I'm not hiding the ball here, my suspicion is that they probably aren't doing as well as they once were.  That suspicion is based on: 1) news reports before the election indicating that the new Trump Hotel in D.C. was offering rooms substantially below their list price; 2) the news reports that other Trump-branded items have been suffering from poor sales (e.g., Trump Home Goods, Ivanka's clothes/shoes).
Sounds like fake news.  ;)

We don't know the exact details.  But they are following the law and applicable guidelines in renting rooms.  The secret service budget is enormous no matter who is POTUS. 

It feels like your argument has shifted.
I am open to finding something unethical.  With the given information it seems more like a potential perk to being POTUS and not unethical.  Now if they are paying premium rates and it seems to be excessively used, then we can revisit.  We are only one month into this thing and it seems like a nit when there are bigger issues to be focused on. 

You did, but by only quoting me, the comment which followed was directed only at me.  Again, I in now way started the non-sense. 
My mobile only quotes the most recent post in a string. That is why I intentionally said "you guys" so it would be clear I was referring to both posts. 

In any event, you appear to be arguing that you're not better than this.  I guess I was mistaken. 

I am open to finding something unethical.  With the given information it seems more like a potential perk to being POTUS and not unethical.  Now if they are paying premium rates and it seems to be excessively used, then we can revisit.  We are only one month into this thing and it seems like a nit when there are bigger issues to be focused on. 
Yeah, this is pretty much where I'm at on this issue. I would be interested in hearing more details though. 

My mobile only quotes the most recent post in a string. That is why I intentionally said "you guys" so it would be clear I was referring to both posts. 

In any event, you appear to be arguing that you're not better than this.  I guess I was mistaken. 
Moderation on this forum is a pet peeve of mine.  I should respond differently, but this type of personal attacks directed at my seems to be growing lately. 

So these remain the major short term items in Trump's agenda, in no particular order:  

1. Travel ban for Muslims

2. The Wall

3. Repeal and Replace Obamacare

4. Big tax cut

5. Major infrastructure spending

6. Tariffs

7. Realign America's international commitments

8. Defeat ISIS 

He promised to do all of this on "Day One". A year from now, how much of this will have been accomplished? 

So these remain the major short term items in Trump's agenda, in no particular order:  

2. The Wall

4. Big tax cut

6. Tariffs

8. Defeat ISIS 

He promised to do all of this on "Day One". A year from now, how much of this will have been accomplished? 
He'll have the tax cut and a partial Muslim ban, and he'll tell his supporters that the rest is really complicated stuff that needs more time to achieve (because he inherited such a mess), and they'll eat it up.

No idea, but it's going to be good :popcorn:  watching the Trump folks explain that the President isn't all-powerful, and, hey, Trump tried to do all those things.

("Keep your insurance plan", Guantanamo, etc)

2. The Wall

4. Big tax cut

6. Tariffs

8. Defeat ISIS 

He'll have had a major impact on the viewership of cable news networks and clicks on political blogs.

2. The Wall

4. Big tax cut

6. Tariffs

8. Defeat ISIS 

How many of those do you want him to accomplish?  Perhaps only #5 and #8?

It's fascinating that the people who so vehemently insisted that we just HAD to call out "radical Islam" by its name in order to defeat it seem so hesitant to use the words "Jewish" or "anti-Semitism" in reference to the hundreds of recent incidents of vandalism, threats and harassment, and in fact seem reluctant to refer to them at all.

I guess referring to religious minorities by name is only important when you want to discriminate against them.

I do....you seem to have begun crafting a narrative with comments from two completely different conversations that have nothing to do with each other.  Not sure why, but it's definitely a problem.  Stuff like this is how we end up with Hillary vs Donald.
Simply calling out an observation that this administration doesn't appear to be too hot on data/science-based education.  You said the answer to the immigration issue was education.  I agree.  A lot of Trump's lies and poor policy ideas can be defeated with education, which could be why he's so against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread