What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Star Wars The Last Jedi Episode 8 thread: this thread sucks, you should avoid it even after you've seen the movie (1 Viewer)

Rian Johnson said his first cut was well over three hours long. They made significant cuts, some of his favorite scenes, that will be included on the blu ray along with a director’s commentary. He said some were entire sequences that were left on the cutting room floor. But he says the final version is the best version regardless of the stuff he loved that he had to cut. 

What’s the youngest that makes sense for this?  My near 7 year old daughter is really into Star Wars these days, and I’m considering taking her.  Too soon?  It also raises a bit of a problem with my 4 year old daughter likely wanting to join too, as she also watches the earlier movies with us, but that’s just way too young.
4 is cool... you can let her sit on your lap during the scary parts.  She won't get it, but she will have fin with her sibling.

Rian Johnson said his first cut was well over three hours long. They made significant cuts, some of his favorite scenes, that will be included on the blu ray along with a director’s commentary. He said some were entire sequences that were left on the cutting room floor. But he says the final version is the best version regardless of the stuff he loved that he had to cut. 
Should I read this as a Lord of the Rings extended addition (boner alert!) or are these just going to be handled like deleted scenes with commentary?

Still haven't looked at anything for this aside from the occasional quick commercial during football. That little tribble thing looks annoying.  Like JarJar meets Ewoks

Still haven't looked at anything for this aside from the occasional quick commercial during football. That little tribble thing looks annoying.  Like JarJar meets Ewoks
Wait until the next one where, upon finding that the First Order are building another Starkiller Base, the good guys have to travel to a Woodland Moon of the base where they meet the tribbles tribe...who helps them defeat the First Order. 

What’s the youngest that makes sense for this?  My near 7 year old daughter is really into Star Wars these days, and I’m considering taking her.  Too soon?  It also raises a bit of a problem with my 4 year old daughter likely wanting to join too, as she also watches the earlier movies with us, but that’s just way too young.
Wat?

omg our kids are the same age!

considering taking the 4 yo (7 yo has no interest in any of this nonsense), gonna do a test-run with the force awakens at some point next week. if that flies, i'll probably give it a shot.

i distinctly remember seeing Empire when I was almost 3 in the theatre. :loco:

omg our kids are the same age!

considering taking the 4 yo (7 yo has no interest in any of this nonsense), gonna do a test-run with the force awakens at some point next week. if that flies, i'll probably give it a shot.

i distinctly remember seeing Empire when I was almost 3 in the theatre. :loco:
Kids sitting through a Star Wars movie at home not equal to sitting through one at the theater in my experience. Even if they've been to see zootopia or whatever that's like an extra hour run time.  My kids were definitely being #######s during rogue one (8, 5 and 3 at the time) but then again maybe they're just #######s.  Gonna attempt to take them again though I guess 

Kids sitting through a Star Wars movie at home not equal to sitting through one at the theater in my experience. Even if they've been to see zootopia or whatever that's like an extra hour run time.  My kids were definitely being #######s during rogue one (8, 5 and 3 at the time) but then again maybe they're just #######s.  Gonna attempt to take them again though I guess 
I’ve taken these two girls to the theater before and mostly they were rock solid. Minor meltdown when 4yo needed to use restroom but 7yo didn’t want to miss any of the movie, but otherwise we were good. 

If I do it I’m thinking it’s a matinee some time weeks after it’s been out, so we don’t ruin the movie for any true nerds. 

I’ve taken these two girls to the theater before and mostly they were rock solid. Minor meltdown when 4yo needed to use restroom but 7yo didn’t want to miss any of the movie, but otherwise we were good. 

If I do it I’m thinking it’s a matinee some time weeks after it’s been out, so we don’t ruin the movie for any true nerds. 
i like that you said the last line brohan just giving you a doff of the head take that to the bank 

So apparently our office bought out a theater on Friday, so none of your ####### 4 year olds will be in the theater with me.  

I have nearly no memory of the....7th...other than Han died and the younger actors were pretty bad, but the rolling robot thing was good.  

Plan will be to go in with no expectations.  I only watched Ep 1 in the theater and walked out of Ep 2 about halfway in and never saw ep 3.  I watched whatever ep 7 was on my ipad on a flight to Korea about half paying attention.  Not sure if it's worth seeing any of those again.  

Not reading much here until after I see it. 

My sons hockey tournament just released the schedule. Don't have to stay over Friday night anymore so 3 tickets purchased for 6:40 next Friday which is my 40th bday. Not a bad way to spend a night with the kids. 

Cant wait 

So apparently our office bought out a theater on Friday, so none of your ####### 4 year olds will be in the theater with me.  

I have nearly no memory of the....7th...other than Han died and the younger actors were pretty bad, but the rolling robot thing was good.  

Plan will be to go in with no expectations.  I only watched Ep 1 in the theater and walked out of Ep 2 about halfway in and never saw ep 3.  I watched whatever ep 7 was on my ipad on a flight to Korea about half paying attention.  Not sure if it's worth seeing any of those again.  
cool

Going to a sneak peek premiere next Thursday 7:00pm thanks to my parents financial consultant renting out a theatre for her clients.  Will be with my son and some of my nieces and nephews.  Awesome!  

Waiting one week after opening weekend.....then will see it on the IMAX.

Loved Rogue One, liked Force Awakens. I expect this to exceed The Force Awakens in many many ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a huge Star Wars fan growing up, but these days, no way I am seeing this opening weekend or for another few weeks. I'll let the crazies get the multiple viewings out of their systems first.

Thought Rogue One was great, so just hoping this one is a lot better than TFA.

I was a huge Star Wars fan growing up, but these days, no way I am seeing this opening weekend or for another few weeks. I'll let the crazies get the multiple viewings out of their systems first.

Thought Rogue One was great, so just hoping this one is a lot better than TFA.
There's really not going to be crazies at all the 50 some odd showings within your 20 mile radius. Just go to an off time one and you can probably buy tickets as you get there.

There's really not going to be crazies at all the 50 some odd showings within your 20 mile radius. Just go to an off time one and you can probably buy tickets as you get there.
I don’t understand that line of thinking either. We’ve gone to every Thursday opening at 7:30 or 9. Other than people applauding at the opening Star Wars logo and music, it’s been a basic movie experience at every showing. That alone bothered a co-worker and he’s sworn off opening night just because of some applause. :loco:  

I don’t understand that line of thinking either. We’ve gone to every Thursday opening at 7:30 or 9. Other than people applauding at the opening Star Wars logo and music, it’s been a basic movie experience at every showing. That alone bothered a co-worker and he’s sworn off opening night just because of some applause. :loco:  
My rural town theaterplex had a line for TFA, but everyone was cool. Everyone was patient and got into the theater with snacks in tow and enjoyed the movie...without applauding.

People are crrrraaaaazzzy

Well I was being facetious by referring to the crazies but the closest reasonable distant theaters to me were sold out pretty close to every weekend showing the first few weeks of TFA and I fully expect the same again this time. Living in the city driving 20 miles away to another theater might take an hour to drive in traffic one way and going on a weeknight after work is not possible for me.

These films don't carry that level of importance for me anymore (especially after the terrible prequels and middling TFA, IMO), but if they do for others, more power to you. I'll see it on my own time and after people have reported back on if its any good. I hope its great and all those excited for it have a great time.

Guess it depends on where you live, there's a lot of cosplay & larping type stuff I've seen over the years. I've seen a large number of stormtroopers, Vaders, Batman, Jokers, Harley Quinns, Ironman, Captain America, etc. over the years. Mostly just harmless fun. My favorite would be about a decade ago when Return of the King came out, quite a few Rangers, elves, Rohirrim, Hobbits, etc. Some pretty nice costumes people put a lot of effort in.

culdeus said:

My office did the same thing. Great PR move for our customers. I never go to these things on premier night but can’t beat free tix and conscessions. 

i might dress up as the raccoon guy but not for a movie or whatever i just mean to like do it because that loveable little furball is just the best take that to the bank brohans 
You're a furry? :oldunsure:  
no i am not filled with fury but some people have said that back in the day i had fists of fury so hey man thanks for bringing up that good memory take that to the bank broahcaho

Maybe. More likely there will be a line around the block and this will persist for the first 3-4 days. People have no idea what happens to movie theaters in a Star wars release.

Are people not aware of the internet and the ability to order tickets online and pick them up at a kiosk with no waiting?? We go to the movies maybe once a month and am always dumbfounded to see a line at the ticket window. 

Are people not aware of the internet and the ability to order tickets online and pick them up at a kiosk with no waiting?? We go to the movies maybe once a month and am always dumbfounded to see a line at the ticket window. 
I guess you don't care that THEY are tracking what movies you watch. 

#cashonlyworld

Maybe. More likely there will be a line around the block and this will persist for the first 3-4 days. People have no idea what happens to movie theaters in a Star wars release.
No I'm aware. What I'm saying is you don't need to go at the midnight showing. I'm going at 9:45 Friday night. I don't expect it to be full since there are 7 other showings within 4 hours of that one at the same theater let alone the 3 other theaters in the area. 

No I'm aware. What I'm saying is you don't need to go at the midnight showing. I'm going at 9:45 Friday night. I don't expect it to be full since there are 7 other showings within 4 hours of that one at the same theater let alone the 3 other theaters in the area. 
I am guessing it will still be full.  

Otis said:

Counterpoint: you get to ruin the movie for nerds.

I bought my tickets online 8 weeks ago, and next Thursday we will show up to our assigned seats (that we picked out) 10 minutes before the movie after I scan my virtual tickets at the bar reader to walk in. The only human interaction I will need to have is if I decide to buy a popcorn or drink. 

Skipping a movie for 3 weeks because of the huge crowds sounds like some 1988 ####. :shrug:  

Was force awakens pg13?
It was. Mostly depends on the kid. I’m not saying it’s because bodies are being chopped up Jason Vorhees style , but some kids at 4 years old could be scared by the creatures they see on screen and a body part being lopped off by a lightsaber. We know it’s fake but a 4 year old might freak the #### out. 

I bought my tickets online 8 weeks ago, and next Thursday we will show up to our assigned seats (that we picked out) 10 minutes before the movie after I scan my virtual tickets at the bar reader to walk in. The only human interaction I will need to have is if I decide to buy a popcorn or drink. 

Skipping a movie for 3 weeks because of the huge crowds sounds like some 1988 ####. :shrug:  
Same here.. live in a small town and the theater in town has had the ability to buy tickets for Thursday night showing for almost a month now. :hifive:

It is rated PG-13. I would probably have some serious reservations about taking a 4 year old, and probably a 7 year old as well. Depending on the kid too. 
I would as well with the 4 year old. Basically, out of meltdowns, falling asleep etc. NOT due to the content of the movie. 0 swear words, the occasional lightsaber action. My boys were 7 & 5 for Force Awakens. Neither of them were out of line and still ask to watch it frequently. The worst they can do is have crappy plastic lightsaber fights. I guess to each his own, and every kid is different.

i might dress up as the raccoon guy but not for a movie or whatever i just mean to like do it because that loveable little furball is just the best take that to the bank brohans 
Well...you're a Milwaukee guy, it makes sense.

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
FYI Don’t watch the latest TV spot, the last scene may potentially be a big spoiler, or of course nothing at all. It will at least make you think of one or more possibilities. Surprised they actually showed something like that, if you don’t want to think anything major, change the channel! 

Users who are viewing this thread