Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Capella

Star Wars The Last Jedi Episode 8 thread: this thread sucks, you should avoid it even after you've seen the movie

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Mario Kart said:

I’m gonna be posting live here. Begins shortly but the preemptive post is “music starts and story scrolls.” Come back every five minutes for a new post. 

I am glad you are not at my showing.  Just put down the phone and enjoy the movie. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed it. But I’m left wanting more. Not as good as Empire or Rogue One for sure. I’d probably put it behind ANH as well. I dunno, maybe if I see it more I’ll thjnk differently. Was certainly good though. Need to think on it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Capella said:

Damn that #### was great. I dunno where it ranks, don't really care. Just loved it. 

1000% this. Guys in the bathroom after the movie were geeking out hard. People left my local theater buzzing about the movie. 

This one’s going to do monster numbers. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was a good, old fashioned family movie.  Kind of the same feel ANH had when it came out but this one was a bit better in action and writing.  Some cool kill shots and s9me laugh-a-little moments that made it fun.

Edited by dutch
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was good but not great. It had some fantastic moments, but also a lot of derivative scenes. Not as good as Empire or Rogue One. 

There was one truly epic scene. I'll just say the Praetorean Guards are bad ### mutha truckas. 

There are a lot  of surprises. 

Edited by MikeIke
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to see this in an hour by myself and then again tomorrow afternoon with the kids after they start Christmas break. I'm guessing I'll see this 7-8 times in the next two weeks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to see this in an hour by myself and then again tomorrow afternoon with the kids after they start Christmas break. I'm guessing I'll see this 7-8 times in the next two weeks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

******* spoilerrrrrrrrrrrrrs********

 

 

 

Putting this one in spoilers but it'll be super dumb to do this going forward imo 

 

 they could have taken that scene with Rey and Kylo taking on the guards and hooked it up to my veins. Sooooo good. 

Yoda - surprise 

killing Snoke - bigger surprise 

Rey's parents - didn't really care a whole lot. Felt like they just wanted out from under that. They didn't make a huge deal out of it on TFA but it seems like it took on its own life after the movie. 

Admiral Akbar - geez 

 

my one criticism - I didn't care about the Finn and new girl storyline really at all. I just kept thinking how I wanted them to go back to Rey/Kylo/Luke. 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MikeIke said:

@Capella dude, put that in spoiler tags. Majority hasn't seen it, be courteous. 

Dude it's right there in the thread title. Why would somebody be in here who didn't see it? We're gonna spend the next two weeks discussing this in spoiler tags?

Edited by Capella
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MikeIke said:

Ok. I've been avoiding the thread until I'd seen it. 

I do appreciate the latest title change, though. 

Well that makes sense. It's all good 

Edited by Capella

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Capella about the scenes with Finn and Rose at the casino. That was a total waste of time, and I told my family that after it was over. They could have just cut that whole plot line. 

Edited by MikeIke
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MikeIke said:

I agree with Capella about the scene with Finn and Rose. That was a total waste of time, and I told my family that after it was over. They could have just cut that whole plot line. 

Yea felt like they were just forcing finn's own storyline. And that's fine, he's a good character, woulda just better doing something else. Didn't help that I thought the codebreaker sucked too. Just none of that did anything for me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Capella said:

Yea felt like they were just forcing finn's own storyline. And that's fine, he's a good character, woulda just better doing something else. Didn't help that I thought the codebreaker sucked too. Just none of that did anything for me. 

That was Benicio Del Toro, right? I just kept picturing him in The Usual Suspects. His stutter cracked me up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MikeIke said:

That was Benicio Del Toro, right? I just kept picturing him in The Usual Suspects. His stutter cracked me up. 

Sure was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MikeIke said:

Too many people died. I was wondering who would be left for the third movie. 

Yea they really cleared the deck didn't they? Set up for a Rey-Kylo and Finn/Poe-First Order conclusion. 

All that time people spent thinking about Snoke's backstory and then WHAMMO

Edited by Capella
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was surprised that they didn't kill Leia. They're going to have to explain what happened to her in the third movie, it seems they could have filmed something after Carrie Fisher died to work into the plot. Now it's just going to be weird in Episode 9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Capella said:

Yea they really cleared the deck didn't they? Set up for a Rey-Kylo and Finn/Poe-First Order conclusion. 

All that time people spent thinking about Snoke's backstory and then WHAMMO

I know! Snoke was freaking powerful, I want to know more about him! 

Just like Darth Maul, they wrote him out too soon. But I understand that Kylo wanted to be Supreme Leader so it makes sense. Just seems like a waste. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MikeIke said:

I was surprised that they didn't kill Leia. They're going to have to explain what happened to her in the third movie, it seems they could have filmed something after Carrie Fisher died to work into the plot. Now it's just going to be weird in Episode 9.

I think there will be a time jump and "General Leia died" in the opening crawl. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Terrible. 

Mark Hammill was actually good and should get more work. But that might have been worse than prequels.  Nothing making me want to see the next one. 

 

No way, not even close. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MikeIke said:

I know! Snoke was freaking powerful, I want to know more about him! 

Just like Darth Maul, they wrote him out too soon. But I understand that Kylo wanted to be Supreme Leader so it makes sense. Just seems like a waste. 

I think maybe there will be more backstory on him in a future tv series or something. Like where he rose to power. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Terrible. 

Mark Hammill was actually good and should get more work. But that might have been worse than prequels. Nothing making me want to see the next one. 

Oh COME ON 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Capella said:

I think maybe there will be more backstory on him in a future tv series or something. Like where he rose to power. 

That's probably what they're working toward, but I don't know if the public interest would be there. 

Oh, who am I kidding? It's Star Warswe'd eat it up. 

Edited by MikeIke
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some scattered thoughts as I process:

1. Could have done without that whole casino planet/Finn and Rose subplot. Felt very out of place, Benecio Del Toro felt out of place (despite doing a good job), etc. It was the only scene out of these 3 new Star Wars movies that actually gave me a bit of the dreaded "prequel trilogy" feel--exotic, over the top scenery and buffoonery just for the sake of it and no real necessary relevance to the main plot. Felt a little silly despite the interesting things they tried to say about the elites vs the common folk and the weapons dealers profitting off both the First Order and the Resistance. They basically just needed a B plot so Finn could be doing something. I get it, but Finns chemistry with both Rey and Po was a highlight of TFA, so separating him from both for the entire movie was a dumb decision imo.

2. I love what they've done to update the original trilogy technology. That's what felt most off about the prequels, the shiny perfect (now dated) CGI everything. The tech and battles, despite being futuristic space warfare, feel very tactile and analog, if that makes sense. Obviously they took a lot of cues from the original trilogy, but even the things they've changed are cool.

For example, the bombers from the beginning operating like B52's with manual release, free-falling payloads that drop straight down off sliding racks--no, it doesn't make perfect sense given the other advanced tech on display, but it gives the battle a very cool strategic feel. The green cannon fire from the star destroyers having a range and arc to them like futuristic cannonballs also doesn't make sense given how lasers work, but again it lends an old school naval battle feel to it that is cool. Its like WW2 tech updated to be futuristic and it's cooler than just endless different colored laser strafing runs until someone's shield gives out for story reasons. Same with fuel and shields all of a sudden being exhaustible resources--yes, necessary to the plot. But cool. If Battle Star Galactica tech/space warfare was morphed into the Star Wars universe it would feel like this imo, and that's an upgrade.

3. I guess Leia dies offscreen? Was shocked when she Forced out of the space debris and saved herself. Then was shocked when she came out of her coma. Then was shocked when she didn't stay behind to confront (and be killed by) her son at the end. They were (intentionally or not) playing off my expectations that they'd find a way to kill her off in-universe after her real life death, so it was surprising when it didn't happen. 

4. I'm trying to decide if Rey's lack of important parentage works for me or if it feels too cute, like they knew everyone expected her to be Kylo's sister or Luke's daughter or someone important's daughter and wanted a "gotcha!" moment. I'm leaning towards liking it. Star Wars has always been about the Skywalker lineage but it almost means more to the galaxy that a total nobody can become the symbol, the hero. 

On the other hand, her flashback in TFA did show a ship flying away when she was "left", and Kylo was trying to manipulate her. So a twist there is still technically possible, although I agree they just wanted to cut off that line of questioning and not make her story all about that. 

5. If I had to pick out one MAJOR disappointment I had with the movie (and while the casino planet wasn't great it doesn't qualify for this imo, it wasn't terrible) it was that nothing about Snoke was revealed. At all. And he probably doesn't matter now...which is fine, we all knew they were building Kylo Ren into the main villain. But not gaining any info about him (when he looks ancient and all ####ed up but has been around for less than 20-30 years in the main story timeline) just makes him a generic silly-named Big Bad placeholder until Kylo was ready. That's disappointing because there was a lot to explore there. Where did he come from? How did he get in control of the remnants of the Empire and found or co-opt the First Order? Why isn't he a Sith, what's the order of Ren and how did he get Ben Solo to turn, what's his connection to Palpatine or any of the original trilogy or even prequels? 

Some of this could be addressed later but I think a lot will go unanswered in favor of Kylo being the main focus now. Which makes sense but leaves Snoke as a kind of a dumb placeholder villain in these first two movies. 

6. Some of the humor felt forced compared to TFA. Could have really done without the Skywalker shoulder brush-off near the end, for instance. There were a couple awkward (chuckle-worthy but out of place) spots of humor like that. Felt more fun and organic in TFA.

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

They literally chased after a ship almost the whole movie. 

There are worse things the writer of a space western could do than crib the plot from one of the best Battlestar Gallactica episodes, imo. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Kylo was right; kill the past. That is what this movie did. 

That's a very good point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

There are worse things the writer of a space western could do than crib the plot from one of the best Battlestar Gallactica episodes, imo. 

Long enough for all the other plotlines to play out. It just made no sense. Some cool scenes? Sure. Force Awakens was much better -- made you want to see what happens next. I don't care about episode ix now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snoke's ship was really cool. I remember reading a while ago that Vader's Super Star Destroyer Executor bankrupted an entire solar system to build. This thing was easily 10 times bigger than that. 

My youngest loved, loved, LOVED the scene where the Admiral goes into light speed to destroy it. He said that was his favorite scene from any Star Wars movie, ever. I don't agree, but that was the highlight of his night. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Long enough for all the other plotlines to play out. It just made no sense. Some cool scenes? Sure. Force Awakens was much better -- made you want to see what happens next. I don't care about episode ix now. 

Oh man, I couldn't disagree more. I think this was much better than Force Awakens. Not the best Star Wars film, but nowhere near the worst. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MikeIke said:

Snoke's ship was really cool. I remember reading a while ago that Vader's Super Star Destroyer Executor bankrupted an entire solar system to build. This thing was easily 10 times bigger than that. 

My youngest loved, loved, LOVED the scene where the Admiral goes into light speed to destroy it. He said that was his favorite scene from any Star Wars movie, ever. I don't agree, but that was the highlight of his night. 

That's the $$$ scene where Leia should have gone out with a bang imo, rather than that random purple-haired Admiral whose only job was to show Po he had more to learn before he was ready to lead. 

But obviously Carrie Fisher was in way too many important scenes after that happened for them to cut the movie to pieces, put it back together, and still make it work.

I do think it would have been a better movie had it gone down that way...and then you don't have to have the stupid Force illusionary dice fade away after the twist is revealed that Luke isn't really there (I never bought it anyways because I didn't think the writers would credit the audience as being smart enough to remember that Luke's X-Wing (and way off the planet) was shown submerged at the beginning of the movie). But they obviously really wanted one last scene on screen between Luke and Leia when they filmed it originally, and a scene where Leia basically turns the Resistance over to Po and nods approvingly at what he's learned. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SPOILERS INCOMING

Random thoughts. 

I can’t believe you guys think Kylo told Rey the truth about her parents. Junk dealer parents? As strong as she is in the force? I ain’t buying it.

A lot to process. Good movie, probably doesn’t crack my top 3. 

Agree with everyone that the Finn storyline was a waste, especially after they accomplished nothing. 

How did Rey get from Snoke’s throne room back onto the Falcon?

Really surprised they whacked Snoke so quick. Makes sense for the story but damn I wanted more of him. He’ll get his own comic book which I won’t read. 

They absolutely CANNOT kill Leia off screen. If they do that in the opening crawl that would be most the egregious writing in cinema history. 

A lot to take in still. Have to spend more time thinking about what I seen.

Edited by Billy Bats
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

That's the $$$ scene where Leia should have gone out with a bang imo, rather than that random purple-haired Admiral whose only job was to show Po he had more to learn before he was ready to lead. 

But obviously Carrie Fisher was in way too many important scenes after that happened for them to cut the movie to pieces, put it back together, and still make it work.

I do think it would have been a better movie had it gone down that way...and then you don't have to have the stupid Force illusionary dice fade away after the twist is revealed that Luke isn't really there (I never bought it anyways because I didn't think the writers would credit the audience as being smart enough to remember that Luke's X-Wing (and way off the planet) was shown submerged at the beginning of the movie). But they obviously really wanted one last scene on screen between Luke and Leia when they filmed it originally, and a scene where Leia basically turns the Resistance over to Po and nods approvingly at what he's learned. 

Regarding the bolded, I expected Luke to use the Force to bring the X-Wing back to the shore, just like Yoda did in Empire. When I saw the X-Wing underwater, that's where my thought immediately went. 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Billy Bats said:

I can’t believe you guys think Kylo told Rey the truth about her parents. Junk dealer parents? As strong as she is in the force? I ain’t buying it.

I hit on that a bit:

On the other hand, her flashback in TFA did show a ship flying away when she was "left", and Kylo was trying to manipulate her. So a twist there is still technically possible, although I agree they just wanted to cut off that line of questioning and not make her story all about that.

2 minutes ago, Billy Bats said:

How did Rey get from Snoke’s throne room back onto the Falcon?

There was a throwaway line from Kylo that she stole Snoke's personal escape ship.

2 minutes ago, Billy Bats said:

They absolutely CANNOT kill Leia off screen. If they do that in the opening crawl that would be most the egregious writing in cinema history.

I get what you're saying, but with the timing of her death I think they basically have to. It was too late to change this movie and will be too recent when the next one comes out to make a big deal about it. I think they've already said they won't be CGI-ing her into the next one. She got a pretty extensive farewell in that closeup scene between her and Luke imo, especially if you read into what he's saying. 

Also--was the blond rebel getting lots of little chunks of screentime Carrie Fisher's daughter?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MikeIke said:

Regarding the bolded, I expected Luke to use the Force to bring the X-Wing back to the shore, just like Yoda did in Empire. When I saw the X-Wing underwater, that's where my thought immediately went. 

Me too. And I'm sure it's there so the audience could plausibly explain how he got from point A to point B at the end, before the twist is revealed. But while watching the movie I was skeptical they'd trust the audience to remember that and not complain about plotholes, so I was kinda on guard that it was a trick somehow. The physical interactions he has with people at the end threw me off again though and they ended up getting me. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

 

Also--was the blond rebel getting lots of little chunks of screentime Carrie Fisher's daughter?

No, not her daughter. She played Winter in the most recent season of American Horror Story. It took me a while to place where'd I'd seen her before. 

ETA: apparently she actually is Carrie Fisher’s daughter. I was wrong. 

Edited by MikeIke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I hit on that a bit:

 

 

There was a throwaway line from Kylo that she stole Snoke's personal escape ship.

I get what you're saying, but with the timing of her death I think they basically have to. It was too late to change this movie and will be too recent when the next one comes out to make a big deal about it. I think they've already said they won't be CGI-ing her into the next one. She got a pretty extensive farewell in that closeup scene between her and Luke imo, especially if you read into what he's saying. 

Also--was the blond rebel getting lots of little chunks of screentime Carrie Fisher's daughter?

On Rey’s parents; if it really doesn’t matter, why does he make her ask to see her parents when she’s down under the island and her face appears? (Like Luke’s face in the Vader mask on Dagobah) Just to jerk us around? Nah, it’s important IMO. 

I must’ve missed Kylo’s line about her escaping, thanks. 

On Leia. I guess I was thinking they could’ve edited and used a couple seconds of CGI Leia in this one to kill her. But the movie was about Luke so I guess they couldn’t kill them both. A really tough position for them to be in, really no good way to do it without having a fake looking CGI Leia for IX, which I want no parts of. 

And yep, the little blond resistance was Billy Lourde, Carrie Fisher’s daughter. She held her own pretty good I thought. 

Edited by Billy Bats
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MikeIke said:

No, not her daughter. She played Winter in the most recent season of American Horror Story. It took me a while to place where'd I'd seen her before. 

Sure it was. Billie Lourde is Carrie Fisher’s daughter. 

Edited by Billy Bats
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.