What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Star Wars The Last Jedi Episode 8 thread: this thread sucks, you should avoid it even after you've seen the movie (2 Viewers)

Really, I think it's a philosophical statement. Luke wasn't really a Jedi anyway - not like Obi Wan or Yoda wanted him to be anyway. He wasn't the emotionless husk that Jedi were "supposed" to be - quite the contrary it was only the love he had for his father that caused the tide to turn.

I think that's what Luke was trying to do on the island - create a new order that threaded the needle between light and dark.

Really, I think it's a philosophical statement. Luke wasn't really a Jedi anyway - not like Obi Wan or Yoda wanted him to be anyway. He wasn't the emotionless husk that Jedi were "supposed" to be - quite the contrary it was only the love he had for his father that caused the tide to turn.

I think that's what Luke was trying to do on the island - create a new order that threaded the needle between light and dark.
wait... I don't follow these movies as closely as some/most of you, but...

I thought he was running away from his terrible mistake of Girls guy rylie ken or whatever going dark and just hiding out on the island. do you think there are others there that he's training?

Maybe it will be mostly flashback, telling how Luke came to be on the island (no, not THAT island) and why Rey is having all those memories.
Luke was went to the island for a couple months rest.  His X-Wing broke down and he spent years there because no one could find him.  Now he's stark raving mad.

wait... I don't follow these movies as closely as some/most of you, but...

I thought he was running away from his terrible mistake of Girls guy rylie ken or whatever going dark and just hiding out on the island. do you think there are others there that he's training?
Well, yeah. I think the implication was that he had some sort of academy set up but things went haywire.

jon_mx said:
Perhaps Luke is not the last one being referred too. 
Well if Jedi is singular here presumably the Last Jedi would be Rey (they're not going to kill her), meaning Luke would have to die.

Last edited by a moderator:
CletiusMaximus said:
Reading the comments here, is as though the title were, "The Last Jedi DIES"
Assuming Rey is or becomes a Jedi there is more than one.  So someone has to die for there to only be one left.

Like was mentioned earlier though, "Jedi" could also be plural.

Well if Jedi is singular here presumably the Last Jedi would be Rey (they're not going to kill here), meaning Luke would have to die.
Yeah, it would seem she will be the central part of the last episode and a major play again in 8. 

The last Jedi.. until Luke taps dat ### on the island...  i mean that was the implication right...  I've got you up on this island all alone by yourself and you're handing me my saber looking all sexy....  let's get some more jedi going  amirite?

Yeah, it would seem she will be the central part of the last episode and a major play again in 8. 
It kind of makes sense to me that they would use this as a double meaning here.

They've already referred to Luke as "The Last Jedi" in the Ep7 scroll.  So presumably Luke factors in heavily to ep8 with the title "The Last Jedi".  Throughout the movie he works with Rey, and towards the end Luke dies, Rey makes some decision or action to complete her transformation into a true Jedi, and we fade out with her now "The Last Jedi".

George Jefferson Airplane said:
jon_mx said:
Capella said:
It does but I imagine it means more than Luke just getting offed. 
Perhaps Luke is not the last one being referred too. 
Well at the moment he is the last Jedi.  At the end of episode 8 there could be 20 after they visit Skywalker Island.  Think Kill
:goodposting: That was my first thought( well not the Kill Bill thing) before all started responding about thinking Luke will be taken out..
As was pointed out above, the opening credits for VII mention Luke being "The Last Jedi" :shrug:

El Floppo said:
back home though- and then he it went fubar, so he ran away to the island. where he's hanging out in robes and letting his techno-hand feel the air on it without feeling ashamed. like this guy.
:oldunsure:

bagger said:
Was really hoping it was going to be Star Wars: The Empire is Building Another Death Star, just so we can hear everyone complain again.
SW8: adventures in government contacting? 

As long as we are three pages into dissecting a three-word title, let's recognize that "last" could be a past tense reference as well.

"The last jedi, Yoda, really screwed things up.  Lucky for you, I'm the new jedi in town!"

No reason the current one has to be "last" in any way.

The plural version:  "The last jedi got all hung up trying to balance the force, and look where it got them.  My new jedi order will be the first order to get it right!  Just as soon as I can get those power converters from Toshii Station..."

My first reaction was it referred to Luke and he dies.  My second thought was the Last Jedi is Rey after Luke dies. 
This.

its the second episode in this trilogy.  Formulaicly the second one is always the most dark of the three.  Rey needs to carry the last movies storyline on her own.

Grammatically, if Jedi was being used in plural form here, you would say "these last Jedi".  When you say "the last Jedi", you are explicitly using the singular variant of the term.

Users who are viewing this thread