What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Star Wars The Last Jedi Episode 8 thread: this thread sucks, you should avoid it even after you've seen the movie (2 Viewers)

I'm now convinced Luke is on the dark side. Luke followed in his fathers foot steps and the Emperor is a clone from Kamino. Rey is the "Luke" of this trilogy however she is going to be the new Sith Lord. Not the new Light Jedi. 

I'm now convinced Luke is on the dark side. Luke followed in his fathers foot steps and the Emperor is a clone from Kamino. Rey is the "Luke" of this trilogy however she is going to be the new Sith Lord. Not the new Light Jedi. 
I don't think so.  My guess is that he starts to walk more in the middle.  The opening scene with Rey looked like she was just force-choked and let go.  I wonder if Luke takes on a philosophy of Bendu from Star Wars Rebels.  

Not so much a spoiler as an Easter Egg, it was one of the ships in the fleet that shows up to support the ground troops. Unknown if it survived, seemed to be implied that at least a few ships other than just Leia's escaped the Devastator.

I believe there are some other Rebels easter eggs as well throughout the movie.
Chopper is on yavin. 

It isnt about jedi anymore vs sith. Just light and dark force. Jedi way failed as too dogmatic. Luke defied their training and yoda admitted he was wrong episode 3. 

Luke tried to do jedi way for the next generation and failed as well. So now it is something else. My guess is the way of the whills (see rogue one)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think so.  Disney has a big heroine to exploit.  They aren't going to turn her into a Sith Lord.

It isnt about jedi anymore vs sith. Just light and dark force. Jedi way failed as too dogmatic. Luke defied their training and yoda admitted he was wrong episode 3. 

Luke tried to do jedi way for the next generation and failed as well. So now it is something else. My guess is the way of the whills (see rogue one)
This. Luke isn't going full dark side but is altering training to more of a middle ground than strictly light side. 

That's pretty extreme. Luke has never been a conformist, but he's always been an idealist. He wouldn't conform to his uncle, yet he wouldn't even conform to what Obi Wan wanted him to do either. It wasn't until he had nothing that he agreed do what Obi Wan asked, and even then it wasn't because Obi Wan asked, it was because of his idealism of becoming what his father was before him. And even a rookie with the rebels during the death star battle, instead of conforming, he starts doing things his own way. And once headed for the last minute final shot, he even refuses to conforming to the computer and instead chooses the idealism of Obi Wan telling him to  use the force. ESB he refuses to conform to Yoda and Obi Wan and instead leaves for the idealism of helping his friends. In Jedi he refuses to conform to his father's wishes and instead chooses the idealism of the light side and becoming a Jedi like his father before him. 

So I can see him rejecting the Jedi way because he's not a conformist. It would pretty much be consistent with his behavior throughout all the movies. But going to the dark side would be an extreme change in his character because he's always been an idealist. If he would turn it would need some kind of drastic emotional state like Anakin experienced. And such a drastic change wouldn't result in going in to hiding. Idealism combined with rejecting conformity would send someone into hiding very easily.  

Never understood people that get mad if you don't like the same movie or band or whatever that they like. Not that big of a deal lol

Never understood people that get mad if you don't like the same movie or band or whatever that they like. Not that big of a deal lol
Of course it's not a big deal.  I don't go in threads of movies I don't like though and trash them. That's something teenagers do.

Yep. Agree with this. Luke isn't turned to the dark side. That's the stupidiest thing I've seen in awhile. He's just lost in despair. If he had turned, he'd be out around the galaxy gaining power. He's not. He's hiding in a secret little island with his grief and anguish. 

A new way is being forged though. Rey will be the new "jedi" of light while the Knights of Ren are the new Sith. 

Meh. Not really giving you much.  Kind of underwhelming. Obviously I'll see it and am excited.....but I don't think we should be sucking Disneys #### on this one just quite yet. 

Right.  The origins of that are seen in the scene where Luke expressed his hatred and Yoda lambased him for it during this Empire Strikes Back training. 

That's pretty extreme. Luke has never been a conformist, but he's always been an idealist. He wouldn't conform to his uncle, yet he wouldn't even conform to what Obi Wan wanted him to do either. It wasn't until he had nothing that he agreed do what Obi Wan asked, and even then it wasn't because Obi Wan asked, it was because of his idealism of becoming what his father was before him. And even a rookie with the rebels during the death star battle, instead of conforming, he starts doing things his own way. And once headed for the last minute final shot, he even refuses to conforming to the computer and instead chooses the idealism of Obi Wan telling him to  use the force. ESB he refuses to conform to Yoda and Obi Wan and instead leaves for the idealism of helping his friends. In Jedi he refuses to conform to his father's wishes and instead chooses the idealism of the light side and becoming a Jedi like his father before him. 

So I can see him rejecting the Jedi way because he's not a conformist. It would pretty much be consistent with his behavior throughout all the movies. But going to the dark side would be an extreme change in his character because he's always been an idealist. If he would turn it would need some kind of drastic emotional state like Anakin experienced. And such a drastic change wouldn't result in going in to hiding. Idealism combined with rejecting conformity would send someone into hiding very easily.  
Well said. Luke turning to the Dark Side would feel contrived and being done for shock value, not a logical extension of his character. I could see him saying the Jedi must end because he's become disillusioned with the path he's chosen after Kylo's betrayal and Han's death. Whether Rey's arrival can spark in him renewed hope may be the question.

:shrug:   Maybe the Dark side only exists to balance the Light Side - to get rid of the Dark Side, you have to get rid of the Light Side.

It does seem like Rey is being set-up to bring balance to the force within herself - the poster suggests she is harnessing the powers of both Luke and Kylo.

:shrug:   Maybe the Dark side only exists to balance the Light Side - to get rid of the Dark Side, you have to get rid of the Light Side.

It does seem like Rey is being set-up to bring balance to the force within herself - the poster suggests she is harnessing the powers of both Luke and Kylo.
Both sides of the Force have always existed within those who possess it, though. Luke was battling it; so did Vader. It's not a surprise that Rey would be harnessing both the dark and light sides within her. Balancing the two has always been the key to properly harnessing its full power. Luke appeared to have gotten to that point at the end of Jedi.   

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but...

Han Solo Won't Get a New Name in Next Star Wars Spin-Off
Brian Gallagher

Last month, Disney CEO Bob Iger made some interesting comments about the highly-anticipated Han Solo spin-off, revealing that fans will learn how Han meets his Wookie partner Chewbacca, and that it will follow Han between the years of 18 and 24. The Disney head also dropped quite a big bombshell that has had fans up in arms ever since, revealing that Han Solo isn't actually this smuggler's real name. Thankfully, during Star Wars Celebration this past week, LucasFilm president Kathleen Kennedy said that Han Solo's name will not change.

Ever since Bob Iger made this revelation in late March, some fans have theorized that this Han Solo movie will reveal his real name to be Han Ren, which would explain why his son Ben changed his name to Kylo Ren when he turned to the Dark Side before the events of The Force Awakens. This fan theory has yet to be confirmed, but MTV managed to catch up with LucasFilm President Kathleen Kennedy, who stated that she didn't think Bob Iger meant Han Solo's name will change in this movie, but she did tease there is more to his name.

"I'm not sure that that's entirely what Bob meant. There's more to Han Solo's name, but it's not that it's not his name. It's obviously his name. It will always be his name."

Bob Iger also teased that this movie will show how Han Solo acquired a "certain vehicle," i.e. the Millennium Falcon. Fans learned during the 1980 sequel Empire Strikes Back that Harrison Ford's Han Solo won the ship off of his friend Lando Calrissian, played by Billy Dee Williams, during a game of Sabaac, a popular card game. After Donald Glover was cast as the young Lando, many fans assumed that this game will in fact be played in this spin-off. There has also been speculation that fans could see the Kessell Run, which Han Solo mentions completing in less than 12 parsecs when he first meets Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) and Obi-Wan Kenobi (Alec Guinness) in A New Hope.
Another rumor surfaced last month that claimed this adventure will finally showcase Han Solo's home planet of Corellia for the first time. While that report was never confirmed, many speculated that the production's recent shift from the U.K.'s Pinewood Studios to the island of Fuerteventura, one of the Canary Islands, means that this new location will be used for Corellia scenes. The story has been confirmed to be set 10 years before A New Hope, and there have also been rumors that this story may introduce Han Solo's first wife, Sana Solo, but that has yet to be confirmed.

A report from last July claimed that Disney is actually planning a three-part Han Solo trilogy, but that has yet to be confirmed either. Alden Ehrenreich stars as the title character with Donald Glover playing Lando Calrissian, Woody Harrelson playing Han's mentor Garris Shrike, Joonas Suotamo playing Chewbacca and Emilia Clarke, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Thandie Newton and Ian Kenny playing unspecified characters. Take a look at this video interview with Kathleen Kennedy discussing the highly-anticipated Han Solo: A Star Wars Story

Yeah she is. She came up to me the other night and wanted to show me something on her violin. She said she heard a tune somewhere and had figured it out. She played it and I told her it was the riff from Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes. Pretty cool.
Whoa! Insanely talented. I'm going to say to go ahead and cash in that college savings plan. She's going for free!

Users who are viewing this thread