What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Star Wars The Last Jedi Episode 8 thread: this thread sucks, you should avoid it even after you've seen the movie (1 Viewer)

Yea felt like they were just forcing finn's own storyline. And that's fine, he's a good character, woulda just better doing something else. Didn't help that I thought the codebreaker sucked too. Just none of that did anything for me. 
Was that Vince Vaughn in swingers?

I was surprised that they didn't kill Leia. They're going to have to explain what happened to her in the third movie, it seems they could have filmed something after Carrie Fisher died to work into the plot. Now it's just going to be weird in Episode 9.
Kind of assumed that she would die right with Luke.  Perfect symetry for twins 

certainly seemed like he focused on the little girl being sold to the junk dealer part of the dream to focus on the "you are no one" theme.
At the end of Empire we learned Vader was Luke’s father, I expected a similar twist here but instead got a “you are no one”. Was certainly surprising but I doubt this is the end of it 

Something else about that scene just registered with me - Snoke said something about Kylo Ren turning the blade on his biggest nemesis - or something like that - since Snoke assumed that meant Rey - does that imply some previous history/relationship between Kylo Ren and Rey?  Or is that simply just to show that Rey is the Yin to Ren's Yang?
Kylo desperately wants to get his yin near her 

At the end of Empire we learned Vader was Luke’s father, I expected a similar twist here but instead got a “you are no one”. Was certainly surprising but I doubt this is the end of it 
Anakin's mom was a nobody.

What Luke had to say about Rey means a lot more than what Kylo said about her. The scene where she was in a line of a bunch of herself is also not meaningless. I'm thinking the answer is something repetitive, like reincarnation. 

Lots of people who are supposed to be the next big thing turn out to be nobodies. Ask those two guys from Hoop Dreams. 

The only important thing about the Skywalkers is that Anakin was supposed to be the big guy who brings balance. So it didn't work out so swell. 

Doesn't mean Rey has to be connected to them. Like Spock just said, anakins mom was a slave no one. I think I like the idea of Reys parents being no one a lot better. 

Hi Joe Bryant-

Let's shut this thread down for good.

Your friend,

GPJ
Why did you post my paragraph about me noticing that there was an Asian pilot who initiated Kamakazi and then request the thread be shut down? 

There also seem to be a few posts missing. 

Im asking because maybe I said something Incredibly stupid which is entirely possible or what I wrote bothered you? 

Lots of people who are supposed to be the next big thing turn out to be nobodies. Ask those two guys from Hoop Dreams. 

The only important thing about the Skywalkers is that Anakin was supposed to be the big guy who brings balance. So it didn't work out so swell. 

Doesn't mean Rey has to be connected to them. Like Spock just said, anakins mom was a slave no one. I think I like the idea of Reys parents being no one a lot better. 
Maybe the balance needed was the Jedi needed to be wiped out.

Maybe because the Jedi were so organized and had become a Jedi training machine, they swung the balance of the force too far to their side, which caused the dark side to produce a Sith Lord and miraculously birth a chosen one to bring balance back. Not the "balance" the Jedi expected from the prophecy, but balance none the less. Neither side of the force was too powerful.

Then when Luke tried to restore the Jedi's powerful system, it resulted in the rise of Snoke and Kylo. Maybe Yoda was okay with the burning of the ancient Jedi books because he learned that when one side of the force becomes powerful, it causes the other side to rise as a reaction. And that is why Luke "failed". It was unavoidable. 

And what Kylo is going to learn is as the dark side gets powerful, it naturally results in Jedi even without Jedi existing to train them in the Jedi way. 

It is a galaxy a long time ago and far far away.

We don’t know how long ago or how far away.

Could the properties of this space be vastly unlike our own? Like some huge black ocean and not a void?

Wait a minute.... people who have never had any issues with X-Wings and whatnot navigating in the vacuum of space like they're flying through air are now taking issue with the need for gravity for bombers. 
Yeah these are two gripes I don’t share. For one, both have been a constant “fact” in all Star Wars movies so that’s okay there. For two, I think in a prior movie it’s explained that there’s like s gravity bubble or whatever around ships. 

Why did you post my paragraph about me noticing that there was an Asian pilot who initiated Kamakazi and then request the thread be shut down? 

There also seem to be a few posts missing. 

Im asking because maybe I said something Incredibly stupid which is entirely possible or what I wrote bothered you? 
The racist stuff doesn't bother me. But when the level of discourse sinks to those depths, even about a dumb space movie, it's pretty disheartening. 

The racist stuff doesn't bother me. But when the level of discourse sinks to those depths, even about a dumb space movie, it's pretty disheartening. 
Whoa, it’s racist that I wondered to myself if the scene where Rose’s sister initiated Kamakazi would upset Japanese viewers? 

It might very well have been an unintentionally offensive comment and that’s why I asked. I can sometimes be completely oblivious to things like that. 

Last edited by a moderator:

I like the fact that Kylo is trying to be the next Vader. He has the legacy, the skill, and the talent but is too immature to achieve the same greatness because he didn't have to work for it. But Vader was an impetuous, immature brat before he had his old life burned away. Rey didn't have to grow up with those pressures. She matured before any of this fell on her.

Rey is the next Vader because she has similar talents and no personal expectations. She also lacks the outside influence of a bunch of stuffy old priests telling her she is the Messiah. So the Skywalkers bring balance to the force through the actions that result in the Force creating Rey. 

There's about a zero percent chance of Disney turning their primary bad ### feminine hero into a bad guy. Though it would redeem this trilogy a bit.

Tom Servo said:
Those who hang around the TARDIS understand every language. 
Wrong thread (is there a Dr Who thread??), but did you see the Christmas Special?  Saw it in a theater on Wed.  Was pretty ####### cool.  David Bradley was outstanding!

Saw it last night and was disappointed. So much potential with Luke but instead he’s a whiny #####. The attempts to make Ben solo out to be the next darth Vader fell short because he’s also just a whiny #####. Seriously, he just isn’t a good bad guy.  

Rey was good and I really want her backstory. Which this movie did nothing with. Also rolled my eyes at her complete lack of training yet she’s now a Jedi master. 

I liked snoke and thought his red room and red guards were awesome. Yet there was like no story there when there’s a ton of potential since the sith were extinct after vi. 

The Vegas planet was very cool initially but fell flat with the del toro character. Plus Finn just isn’t that interesting anymore. 

Also, the universe just felt small. I used to always be impressed with the vast galaxy created, but that just wasn’t present in this one.

Some seriously bad plot holes:

- Vader tracked a homing beacon through light speed in iv.

- yoda the ghost making physical contact 

- leia space nonsense 

- light speed runs on a different fuel 

Anyway, I’ll shut up now and concede the action was pretty good, but this one was only better than I and II and the writing sucked.  
I'm shocked but I agree with almost all of this.

Skipping over the last few pages to avoid spoilers ... but the title of this thread is making me think:

Did Chewbacca actually whip out some English-language dialogue in this last installment? Don't answer me ... I'm leaving this post here for now so I can revisit after I've seen the film. But in Star Wars Universe logic, lots of alien species speak English (or Galactic, in universe). Some others don't, of course. So maybe having a Wookie grunt out a few words wouldn't be all that oddball -- yet it would send shock waves throughout SW fandom.
OK ... saw TLJ just now:

No Wookie English  

:kicksrock:  Thought that was might have been one of the big reveals.

Saw it again with family over Christmas.  Did not improve on second viewing.  The comedy is forced, Luke is brutal, and there are just too many missteps to give it anything other than a fanboy 7/10.  If I wasn’t a SW nerd I’d give it 5/10.  

Not interested in sitting through that movie again for a long, long time.  

I feel about the Rey actress how Chet feels about Sophie Turner.  Slightly above average at best, with no outstanding talents.  There's a dozen or two girls of her caliber in every freshman class.  

So I watched empire strikes back last night.

Just a few observations.

Luke's fighter has a fold up glass and metal hatch with no seal that would work ok in air but not space.

Luke and darth have the FaceTime app as well.

The dialogue is about as cheesy as you can imagine.

Yoda is a grumpy old ****. 

All the crew of the falcon go into outer space wearing only respirator.

Giant worm living in an asteroid. Ok.

Leia is amazing mechanic after being a princess her whole life.

The main power generator gets blown up and the next scene is han running through a lit up tunnel.

The emporer asks Darth if it's possible to turn Luke. Apparently he's not powerful enough in the force to see that himself or do it himself. He also can't see that Darth wants to kill him.

So many plot holes. 2/10 would not bang

I feel about the Rey actress how Chet feels about Sophie Turner.  Slightly above average at best, with no outstanding talents.  There's a dozen or two girls of her caliber in every freshman class.  
How many of those freshman can use the force to make you feel jumpy&quo?

Can We Please Stop Pretending That 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Is A Box Office Bomb?

Scott Mendelson, CONTRIBUTOR

Dec 31, 2017 11:10 AM 7,187 

Walt Disney and Lucasfilm

John Boyega, Kelly Marie Tran, and Daisy Ridley in ‘Star [+]

Star Wars: The Last Jedi crossed $500 million domestic on its 16th day of release, one day ahead of Jurassic World and just six days behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens. It has now earned $517.1m in North America in its first 17 days, ending the year as the year’s biggest domestic grosser, safely ahead of Beauty and the Beast ($504m). And by tomorrow, it’ll be within spitting distance of the $532m domestic gross of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and $534m cume of The Dark Knight to be the sixth-biggest domestic earner of all time. With a $52.4m second Fri-Sun frame (and $65.6m over the holiday weekend), it fell just 26% from last weekend and snagged the second-smallest drop ever (behind Rogue One‘s 22% drop) for the third weekend for a movie that opened above $100m over its initial Fri-Sun frame.

It essentially has another week of holiday play and then another week of relatively light competition (sorry Insidious: The Last Key) before 2018 really begins with The Commuter, Paddington Kills and Proud Mary. With around $537 million by tomorrow, it if plays identically to both Rogue One and The Force Awakens from this point onward, it’ll end its domestic run with $650-$670m in North America alone. So, if the math plays out (and if it survives MLK weekend it’s pretty safe until Presidents Day weekend), it’ll end up retaining 69-72% of The Force Awakens‘ domestic gross, right on par with The Empire Strikes Back (-32% from Star Wars) and Attack of the Clones (-30% from The Phantom Menace).

Heck, it raced to $100 million in IMAX alone in 20 days, the second-fastest such sprint behind The Force Awakens. So, whether it ends up as the fifth-biggest domestic grosser of all time or the third-biggest grosser of all time in North America, it’s darn-well playing like a Star Wars movie.

Oh, and the film also soared past $1 billion yesterday, doing so in just 18 days of worldwide play. That’s the fourth-fastest such sprint in history, behind Furious 7 (17 days, with China), Jurassic World (13 days, with China) and The Force Awakens (12 days, sans China). Yes, The Last Jedi is one of those movies that did the deed without help from the second-biggest moviegoing market around. Oh, and it dropped just 12% overseas this weekend.

The film opens in China this Friday, the last major marketplace in which it hasn’t played, and frankly, it’s a coin toss as to how it will do there. The Force Awakens flamed out ($125 million from a $33m opening day) and Rogue One barely topped $69m. I’d argue that Star Wars just isn’t as big of a deal in China as it is in North America. But who is to say that it’s rebuttal of western-centric “triumph of the individual” mythology won’t be appealing? It doesn’t need China, but I’ll still be interested to see how it plays out.

With $1.04 billion worldwide, Walt Disney’s sci-fi actioner is now the third-biggest grosser worldwide of 2017, behind Beauty and the Beast ($1.26 billion) and Fate of the Furious ($1.23b). But it’s only a matter of time, and the only question will be if it ends up closer to Avengers: Age of Ultron ($1.4b) or Jurassic World ($1.6b). But remember, $1.448b would be a 30% drop from The Force Awakens ($2.068b), which again would be par for the course for Star Wars sequels.

It’s going to end up one of the biggest grossers ever in North America and worldwide. No, it won’t touch Force Awakens or any of the James Cameron movies worldwide, but that was never in the cards. The idea that the film is damaging to the Star Wars brand because it took a nasty second-weekend drop and/or was divisive among the fanbase is ludicrous when you consider the sheer size of the numbers and the strength of the post-Christmas hold.

Star Wars movies have almost always been on the defensive as they wracked up record grosses, from Phantom Menace “only” earning $105 million in its first five days to pundits who held Spider-Man‘s record-breaking run against Attack of the Clones to those folks who still swear to me that The Force Awakens was supposed to make $3 billion.

Horrors, a Star Wars movie is only going to be the biggest movie of the year for the second time in three years, again. Horrors, a Star Wars movie is going to be the top grosser in North America for the third time in a row.  Horrors, The Last Jedi is only going to retain as much of its predecessor’s audience as did Empire and Clones. Horrors, The Last Jedi won’t top the overseas totals of Fate of the Furious. Horrors, The Last Jedi will make less in North America than Wolf Warrior 2 made in China.

If you want to write off a $625-$675 million domestic and $1.2-$1.5b worldwide grosser as a flop or a disappointment or a sign of longterm franchise peril, knock yourself out. But (and this is why I give a damn about all of this) there is nothing, NOTHING, worse that Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm could do for the long-term health of the franchise that to retrofit each new Star Wars installment with the intent of being the biggest one yet or mimicking the lightning-in-a-bottle success of The Force Awakens.

And (and this is why you should give a damn about all of this), with the understanding that these are huge numbers we’re talking about, there is nothing that could do more damage to Hollywood blockbuster filmmaking than successfully selling the idea that the rule-breaking, challenging, of-the-moment biggie like The Last Jedi should be penalized for deviating from the Save the Cat template.

Can We Please Stop Pretending That 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Is A Box Office Bomb?

Star Wars: The Last Jedi crossed $500 million domestic on its 16th day of release, one day ahead of Jurassic World and just six days behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens. It has now earned $517.1m in North America in its first 17 days, ending the year as the year’s biggest domestic grosser, safely ahead of Beauty and the Beast ($504m). And by tomorrow, it’ll be within spitting distance of the $532m domestic gross of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and $534m cume of The Dark Knight to be the sixth-biggest domestic earner of all time. With a $52.4m second Fri-Sun frame (and $65.6m over the holiday weekend), it fell just 26% from last weekend and snagged the second-smallest drop ever (behind Rogue One‘s 22% drop) for the third weekend for a movie that opened above $100m over its initial Fri-Sun frame.

It essentially has another week of holiday play and then another week of relatively light competition (sorry Insidious: The Last Key) before 2018 really begins with The Commuter, Paddington Kills and Proud Mary. With around $537 million by tomorrow, it if plays identically to both Rogue One and The Force Awakens from this point onward, it’ll end its domestic run with $650-$670m in North America alone. So, if the math plays out (and if it survives MLK weekend it’s pretty safe until Presidents Day weekend), it’ll end up retaining 69-72% of The Force Awakens‘ domestic gross, right on par with The Empire Strikes Back (-32% from Star Wars) and Attack of the Clones (-30% from The Phantom Menace).

Heck, it raced to $100 million in IMAX alone in 20 days, the second-fastest such sprint behind The Force Awakens. So, whether it ends up as the fifth-biggest domestic grosser of all time or the third-biggest grosser of all time in North America, it’s darn-well playing like a Star Wars movie.

Oh, and the film also soared past $1 billion yesterday, doing so in just 18 days of worldwide play. That’s the fourth-fastest such sprint in history, behind Furious 7 (17 days, with China), Jurassic World (13 days, with China) and The Force Awakens (12 days, sans China). Yes, The Last Jedi is one of those movies that did the deed without help from the second-biggest moviegoing market around. Oh, and it dropped just 12% overseas this weekend.

The film opens in China this Friday, the last major marketplace in which it hasn’t played, and frankly, it’s a coin toss as to how it will do there. The Force Awakens flamed out ($125 million from a $33m opening day) and Rogue One barely topped $69m. I’d argue that Star Wars just isn’t as big of a deal in China as it is in North America. But who is to say that it’s rebuttal of western-centric “triumph of the individual” mythology won’t be appealing? It doesn’t need China, but I’ll still be interested to see how it plays out.

With $1.04 billion worldwide, Walt Disney’s sci-fi actioner is now the third-biggest grosser worldwide of 2017, behind Beauty and the Beast ($1.26 billion) and Fate of the Furious ($1.23b). But it’s only a matter of time, and the only question will be if it ends up closer to Avengers: Age of Ultron ($1.4b) or Jurassic World ($1.6b). But remember, $1.448b would be a 30% drop from The Force Awakens ($2.068b), which again would be par for the course for Star Wars sequels.

It’s going to end up one of the biggest grossers ever in North America and worldwide. No, it won’t touch Force Awakens or any of the James Cameron movies worldwide, but that was never in the cards. The idea that the film is damaging to the Star Wars brand because it took a nasty second-weekend drop and/or was divisive among the fanbase is ludicrous when you consider the sheer size of the numbers and the strength of the post-Christmas hold.

Star Wars movies have almost always been on the defensive as they wracked up record grosses, from Phantom Menace “only” earning $105 million in its first five days to pundits who held Spider-Man‘s record-breaking run against Attack of the Clones to those folks who still swear to me that The Force Awakens was supposed to make $3 billion.

Horrors, a Star Wars movie is only going to be the biggest movie of the year for the second time in three years, again. Horrors, a Star Wars movie is going to be the top grosser in North America for the third time in a row.  Horrors, The Last Jedi is only going to retain as much of its predecessor’s audience as did Empire and Clones. Horrors, The Last Jedi won’t top the overseas totals of Fate of the Furious. Horrors, The Last Jedi will make less in North America than Wolf Warrior 2 made in China.

If you want to write off a $625-$675 million domestic and $1.2-$1.5b worldwide grosser as a flop or a disappointment or a sign of longterm franchise peril, knock yourself out. But (and this is why I give a damn about all of this) there is nothing, NOTHING, worse that Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm could do for the long-term health of the franchise that to retrofit each new Star Wars installment with the intent of being the biggest one yet or mimicking the lightning-in-a-bottle success of The Force Awakens.

And (and this is why you should give a damn about all of this), with the understanding that these are huge numbers we’re talking about, there is nothing that could do more damage to Hollywood blockbuster filmmaking than successfully selling the idea that the rule-breaking, challenging, of-the-moment biggie like The Last Jedi should be penalized for deviating from the Save the Cat template.
but i hate it because luike skywalker drank weirld milk

I'm gettind runk and leaving now.  PEACE OUT

is everyone ok with the use of English?  How could people in a galaxy far away a long time ago speak English?  Seems unlikely at best.
Obviously denizens of that galaxy seeded Earth and genetically programmed us to lead to a civilization that would speak something close to the galactic basic language to ease our eventual assimilation.

The movie is certainly profitable, but you could slap the star wars name on absolutely literally anything right now and draw a crowd.   

There is one simple metric to tell you if this is a flop or not, if they move forward with Johnson or he quietly moves on to other projects.  I've maintained he will never get an entire trilogy to himself but lets see how it plays out.  If they're pleased with the returns and see it as a monster movie, which it is, we shall see.  If they take the opinion that they left money on the table and put the franchise into more long term uncertainty, they'll probably course correct.  

Its not unlike these DC movies which will draw people on the name of the characters being so strong.  Batman vs Superman was ghastly but I'm sure it made hundreds of millions.  But they also left hundreds of millions on the table.

Users who are viewing this thread