What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help seasoning food....No salt diet (1 Viewer)

Parmcat

Canada: Beer, Bacon and Beavers
Hello guys,

Due to my need for a new liver, I am not on a no added salt diet, and have to keep the intake below 1800 mg a day.  Since I have been sick, I have noticed my taste buds have changed, as they would with no salt.

What I am looking for are common combinations of common spices that go well together.  I eat a lot of chicken and fish, but also some beef.  I like a it of heat on my food, but not burn my mouth hot.  Like the spices used on a good Singapore noodles.

I really have not used spices, so knowing what goes well together is tough

Thanks in advance

Parm

I know there are a ton of "salt free premade spices" 

I want to use what I have already.  As long as it says "powder" and not "salt" I am good.

I want to use what I have already.  As long as it says "powder" and not "salt" I am good.
You are correct. In a pinch, check for ingredients. I checked a bunch of mine just now, and if there are none, it is just that seasoning (i.e. herb like Rosemary). If salt is listed, it probably is too much!

Check out the Indian food stores in your city - the spices aren't expensive. They have a long history of experimenting with non-sodium spices.

Hello guys,

Due to my need for a new liver, I am not on a no added salt diet, and have to keep the intake below 1800 mg a day.  Since I have been sick, I have noticed my taste buds have changed, as they would with no salt.

What I am looking for are common combinations of common spices that go well together.  I eat a lot of chicken and fish, but also some beef.  I like a it of heat on my food, but not burn my mouth hot.  Like the spices used on a good Singapore noodles.

I really have not used spices, so knowing what goes well together is tough

Thanks in advance

Parm
I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  My wife was on the UNOS and Penn Ready liver transplant lists.  She had similar restrictions on salt intake so I know a little about what you're going through.  She was also on fluid restriction due to edema.  Good luck @Parmcat

Penzeys lists the ingredients for all of their premade spice mixes if you want to see what spices blend to give you a certain flavor.

Italian Herb Mix Hand-mixed from: oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme and rosemary.

Singapore Seasoning Hand-mixed from: black pepper, lemon peel, citric acid, garlic, onion, turmeric, coriander, cumin, ginger, nutmeg, fennel, cinnamon, fenugreek, white pepper, cardamom, cloves and cayenne red pepper

I have a ton of individual spices, but still buy the Penzeys Mixes. They've already figured out the perfect proportions of everything.

If you like allspice then cooking your food in the eacabeche style (spellling???) is salt free. I really enjoy it.  It leans heavily on vinegar. No salt at all in typical preps. 

Fish chicken pork. All of it. 

I honestly don't have any recommendations for salt free seasonings/spices--but I do wish you the greatest of luck with your health and liver.  

Fresh herbs can add a ton of flavor to food without using salt (or adding fat or calories), and most grocery stores seem to carry little plastic boxes of them now. Just experiment with different combinations of the basics. Pasta with a little good olive oil, garlic, fresh basil and oregano, and crushed red pepper is a super quick and relatively healthy weeknight staple in my house.

Users who are viewing this thread